[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is smokejumping the ultimate /out/ job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: smokejumper.jpg (13 KB, 328x213) Image search: [Google]
smokejumper.jpg
13 KB, 328x213
Is smokejumping the ultimate /out/ job?
>>
>>753418
no, it's stupid and you should feel bad for making this thread
>>
>>753422
Don't ever disrespect me in own thread.
>>
>>753453
go home dad there's no natty ice for you here
>>
File: 1432352155479.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1432352155479.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
Its pretty dangerous and most of the guys that do it are pretty dorky.
Also those pole jumping boots look ridiculous
>>
>>753466
They don't look so gay once they've been broken in.
>>
>>753418
How do smokejumpers compare to Hotshot crews?
>>
>>753557
Smokejumpers jump whereas Hotshots tend to be ground mobile only.

Between the two, they're both trained to the same standard usually, just jumpers are paratrained.

I guess Smokejumpers have that "jumping into the unknown factor", whereas Hotshots normally hike into terrain first with at least some prep time in case they need to deploy shelters etc.
>>
The pay sucks.
>>
>>753573
Typically they earn +25% of their salary when on active deployment, similar to the military.

Still not a lot of money considering what they do, but shit, these guys seem to fucking feed off it.
>>
>>753418
Why? There's not really a lot of /out/ there. I don't see it. Woohoo, jump, pop chute, land.
>>
>>753573
They sit around all the time like paramedics. They don't really earn good pay.
>>
>>753588
they usually jump fires that are in wilderness areas then camp near their fire till it can be called completely controlled. so they could be camped out for a few days or maybe a couple weeks living on mres and spam. then they pack up their 120lbs of gear and hike to the nearest road which is obviously quite a distance away considering they jumped the fire in the first place.
>>753591
yeah they don't get as many hours as hotshots but they still get around 700 which, considering they're all at least gs5's, is somewhere around $30,000 in 6 months after taxes. but a lot of smokejumpers are single resource qualified so they could AD as division sups or heavy equipment bosses on project fires when they're not on the next jump list and earn overtime that way. i've known guys who accrue more than 1000 hours of OT by both boosting and jumping.
>>
>>753453
I'm your wife's son, I am entitled
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.