[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sit-in or Sit-on kayak?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 71Hee6xrxHL._SL1500_.jpg (72 KB, 1500x1046) Image search: [Google]
71Hee6xrxHL._SL1500_.jpg
72 KB, 1500x1046
Really want to buy a kayak as I just moved near a very large lake. Wondering what your opinions are on sit-in vs. sit-on kayaks and what the advantages of each are. I'll just be using this in a lake and a slow-flowing river.

Thinking about buying
>pic related
It's 12 feet and I'm 6 feet, seems about right, right?
>>
>>752836
>lake and lazy river
fishing or non-fishing?
>>
>summer camp pond
sit-on
>everything else
sit-in
>>
>>752839
probably no fishing
>>
>>752846
sit-in, round bottom.
>>
>>752856
>>752841
thanks for the advice gents

any reason the sit-in is better for my use case?
>>
>>752856
Can you not fish from one casually?
>>
You can fish from both but sit in is much better in cooler weather since you don't get as wet.
You need a larger open cockpit for fishing though ifor you get a sit in.
Sit ins are faster as well
>>
>>752879

Not OP, but would this advice hold true in south florida?
>>
>>752841
>summer camp pond
>sit-on
*shakes head in bewilderment*
>>
>>752836
sit-on you get a full suntan.

sit-in you get a retarded suntan that you cannot recover from.

Just buy a real boat.
>>
>>752841
>warm water
sit on
>cold water
sit in
>flat water
canoe

>>752836
How big is your very large lake OP? Big lakes get big waves.

>>752990
You mean sit on you get sunburned legs.

>Just buy a real boat.
The real boat is a sit-in sea kayak.
>>
>>753044
real boat.

>anything you don't have to manually self power.

>captcha boats
>>
>>753051
You can get a sail kit for the sea kayak. Engines are for fags.
>>
File: 71BaodNNGuL._SL1500_.jpg (116 KB, 1500x1358) Image search: [Google]
71BaodNNGuL._SL1500_.jpg
116 KB, 1500x1358
>>752860
>Can you not fish from one casually?
You can, but it is easier to fish from sit on tops usually. They tend to be more stable and have more room for baiting, live wells, etc. I prefer sit in fishing kayaks myself. They have a much larger cockpit than normal kayaks, but are still sit in rather than sit on top. pic related
>>
>>753044
>The real boat is a sit-in sea kayak.

river kayaks and whitewater in general is so much more fun though
>>
>>752836
Kayak owner here and reading this thread pains me. None of this seems like decent advice.

Go local shop, try kayaks, try SIK, try SOT.
Tell them what you want to do and how you plan to use.

Buy from them or somewhere cheaper. I would never buy a yak I couldn't try 1st.
Spend a good hour + in each. Any less won't give you a good enough feel for how you're going to use it.
>>
First, you have to compare within a price range. Generally speaking, sit-ins are faster and track better than SOTs. SOTs benefits are stability and access, which is why they're so favored for fishing. They're also handy in big water because they are a closed cell meaning the boat can't take on water and sink if it capsizes.
Sit-ins can vary in stability. I would recommend a tri-hull design which gives you a nice mix of stability and speed since you're just getting into it. My best advice is to set a price range for a new kayak, then take that money and buy a used kayak in good condition that is worth twice as much. You almost always get what you pay for, and these things don't hold their value all that great in some areas. GL anon
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.