[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to wear in moderate to heavy rain while out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
File: Capture.png (286 KB, 546x542) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
286 KB, 546x542
>Center of US
>Been raining a lot the past few days, for my state's standards
>Figured I'd take the doggo out as it's my favorite weather for /out/ing
>Take him for a small walk to get him used to walks again (Pulled muscle in leg, a few weeks into healing process)
>Pretty heavy rain and thundering
>Didn't want to drag tarp with me as I didn't plan on being there long
>Top layer of Dickie's coat with fleece lining is soaked, Italian surplus jacket is a bit wet around cuffs and tail. Shirt is just fine
>25L Molle pack is pretty soaked
>Pants are fine until having to walk through 3 feet tall brush, then fronts of legs are soaked
>Boots/socks were fine until pants got soaked

I've thought about getting a decent rain poncho to cover myself. And a backpack rain cover as well. Anything I can really do to cover legs when walking through soaking THICK brush in moderate rainfall?
>>
Rainproof shell pants and gaiters.
Cheaper ones might not be as durable for thick brush but you can get some rugged ones.
>>
>>752347
Any good brands you'd recommend for both shell pants and gaiters?
>>
If you're a surplus kind of guy maybe get your hands on one of those Austrian goretex coats?
>>
>>752360
Bit pricey for myself (College budget) but definitely something to save up for. Really appreciate this suggestion though, thanks.
>>
>>752369
The Austrian goretex is very cheap. If you can't swing that your best bet might be something like a Frogg Toggs suit.
Or you could take a jacket and wax it or put some kind of water repellent spray on it.
>>
>>752349
Not that anon, but OR Crocodiles are about the toughest gaiters I've seen.
>>
File: snugpak.jpg (32 KB, 558x441) Image search: [Google]
snugpak.jpg
32 KB, 558x441
Here's a great deal for OP and other poorfags: Snugpak poncho and liner, $31.20.

http://www.amazon.com/Snugpak-Patrol-Poncho-Bundle-Equipment/dp/B00ZKUGVVM/
>>
>>752385
This is good for the PNW
>>
>>752341

If you're not wearing a duster in all weather you can just kill urself my man
>>
>>752603
If you aren't a demon killer or anime character then you really shouldn't wear this.
>>
>>752620
fuck that. Dusters are the shit in virtually every environ other then hot & humid
>>
>>752603

sweet duster
>>
File: image.jpg (246 KB, 625x833) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246 KB, 625x833
>>752603
It's like a fedora for your whole body
>>
File: 200%_BOTHERED.gif (3 MB, 279x350) Image search: [Google]
200%_BOTHERED.gif
3 MB, 279x350
>>752385
>British company
>made in the UK
>both poncho and liner for 30 freedum bux in Freedomland
>yet somehow £30 a piece in the UK
>pic doesn't come close to my true feels
>>
>>753318
You're getting reamed by taxes. Your merchants are cheeky cunts: I asked one if his prices include the tax.
>Yes, tax included!
"I don't pay that as an international customer, right?"
>no reply
>>
>>752341
Just buy a raincoat, man. Also, for the backpack you have a number of options, you either carry things in waterproof stuff sacks in your bag, buy a backpack cover, or just buy a waterproof backpack.
>>
>>753340
mate you should try and import stuff from the US to the UK

customs duty is such a bitch
>>
File: Swedish surplus raincoat.jpg (54 KB, 458x739) Image search: [Google]
Swedish surplus raincoat.jpg
54 KB, 458x739
>>753345
shit, forgot pic
>>
>>753346
This.
My bow came from freedomland to N.Ireland, cost extra due to moneygrabbing jew overlords at customs.
Never again.
>>
>>752626
Brown duster coats look fucking boss, except the only time I've seen someone wearing one was a douchebag nerd who also wore it with a brown fedora.

It's like Indiana Jones just waltzed into fucking tescos
>>
>>753650
Fuckin, too right. Got some darn tough socks from US to England. Fucking £13 import charges on 3 pairs of socks.
>>
>>753346
I'm not from the UK, I'm from Australia.

I'm saying that UK stores have tried to charge me their DOMESTIC tax.

As an international customer I don't have to be charged that tax: so some guy gets to just put that money in his pocket.

It only seems to be bonger websites that try to do this as well. Other European stores are honest.
>>
>>754060
you can claim the tax back with a VAT407 form after you fuck off back to australia
>>
File: 77438i_ts.jpg (253 KB, 595x1152) Image search: [Google]
77438i_ts.jpg
253 KB, 595x1152
>>752603
>>752641
>Duster

That is an oilskin drover. I have one. you have to have a very wide brimmed cowboy hat to go with it or it is worthless in a downpour. They are great for trial riding horseback and mending/building fences in a pinch in really bad weather. Mine has a removable lamb's wool liner (pic fully related) that is great for winter work. I don't recommend the short one, get the long one they are much better at protecting your legs. You have to grease them up every so often too or they won't be water repellent.

There's no other use for them.
>>
File: i920082sq01.jpg (28 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
i920082sq01.jpg
28 KB, 350x300
>>754135
with liner
>>
>>754127
I'm talking about when ordering shit online. I never even considered a form for claiming stuff back from a visit over there.
Our government is going to fag it all up soon, too. They want us to pay sales tax on international orders under $500.
>>
>>753345
>Just buy a raincoat
>Just get additional gear to keep your stuff dry.
>Just have to walk around with wet shoulder and belt straps when it stops raining and you take the jacket off.
>just have to carry an additional tarp because your rain gear only serves one purpose now.
Just fuck off.
>>
>>752341
the poncho you posted is really good

its a german army abc poncho

for your legs: get some leggings
>>
>>754166
All the outdoor shit here is already overpriced compared to overseas. I'm not looking forward to it.
>>
>>754135
>it's not a duster, it's an "oil skin drover"
>it's not a fedora, it's a "trilby"
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.