[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Primitive Technology Video. https://www.youtube.com/wat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9
File: pt.jpg (425 KB, 1265x717) Image search: [Google]
pt.jpg
425 KB, 1265x717
New Primitive Technology Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey68uVUuyvs
>>
>new hit whoring spam
sage
>>
File: 256.png (23 KB, 489x423) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23 KB, 489x423
>>752066
Shee whiz I wish I had a million followers
>>
>>752075
What's your account
>>
>>752073
What?

He's awesome and release only like a video every month.
>>
>>752078
I feel uncomfortable shilling my own self. I want to earn muh subscribers purely on merit.

>about a million to go
>>
>>752082
Come on anaon, post it.
I believe in you.

Though, if your videos are bad I'll trash you for it.
>>
File: 1437545123969.png (3 KB, 184x172) Image search: [Google]
1437545123969.png
3 KB, 184x172
>>752088
no bully

https://www.youtube.com/mjcrecordingsaudio
>>
>>752066
worth it just to see the rain bouncing off his clay roof
>>
>>752090
That's actually really neat.
It's not my thing, but I'll subscribe to bookmark it so I can recommend it to people.
>>
>>752093
you're actually too kind friend. thanks!

and yeah, it is a fairly niche/limited audience sorta thing for sure
>>
>>752096
Well, SMR shit took off, so you never know.
>>
>>752097
ASMR*
>>
>>752097
you mean ASMR? yeah people message me a lot about that actually. it's very subjective. i like it when people have spontaneous ASMR reactions to my stuff but i don't/won't go trying to contrive it and force my recordings to be ASMR. i think if i made and marketed my shit as "ASMR" i could cash-in on more traffic but i'm an acoustician, not an audiophile. fads and hearsay aren't my thing!
>>
>>752066
>That fireplace.
Looks so comfy.

>>752105
Yeah, just keep on doing you; either you'll pick up followers, or you'll still have a bunch of neat videos.
No harm, no foul.
>>
File: hi_five.png (3 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3 KB, 493x402
>>752106
>Yeah, just keep on doing you
right on bruv
>>
>>752090
Thanks for delivering anon, I'll check it out!
>>
>>752090
Subscribed
>>
>>752090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lePvO8Pxn9U

Shit's calming, yo.
>>
>>752090
>https://www.youtube.com/mjcrecordingsaudio
I was already suscribed. You do a great job m8
>>
>>752113
I wonder if you'd like the "Rain Storm (Jecklin)" one better. It's a different recording technique that doesn't have quite as vivid a binaural effect but I can use much better mics for it. So the audio quality is better but the immersive quality is different. It's interesting to see people preferring one over the other.

>>752115
Nice, thanks man!
>>
>>752082
I got a tiny bit of followers (16) and handful of views (22k) and I don't even do a damn thing on my channel nor do I post it anywhere. Not sure how that happens. Though, I've seen a couple people post it on /diy/ before. I've seen your channel posted far more.
>>
>>752126
>handful of views (22k)
that's a pretty good number though! it all depends on what you're doing and if it attracts traffic i guess. mine's about 6-7 months old, it keeps me motivated to get out and do it when i'm trying to add something once a week or so to the channel. i'd been doing these recordings for about 4 years prior to making a youtube channel, it's much more fun having a channel. i have posted it around a few times i guess >_>

what sorta stuff do you do that's /diy/ relevant if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>752105
You seem really chill, anon. The kind of guy I could go hiking with without uaving to worry about talking too much or about stupid stuff
>>
>>752129
that's actually pretty accurate, come to think of it

some people like to hike with people are beboppin' and scattin' all the way up the mountain though!
>>
>>752090
I keep meaning to say that the spring peepers one has what sounds like gun fire a few times. Took me like 3 times to listen to it because I often hear gunfire here and didn't realize it was on the recording lol
>>
>>752133
which peepers one? i think a few of them have gunshots in them.

the very newest peepers one was the first warm/nice night of the year so every ass in town who owns a motorcycle was ripping and rumbling through the backroads all night, so you could hear it constantly in the distance. i filtered all that shit out so any distant gunshots probably got lost with it. the other recordings though have all that stuff intact
>>
>>752128
Electronics, solar, tools, etc. I think it may be due to the searches. I have the search terms all very detailed. I know that can have a big effect on search results and get views that way.

>>752139
The one video that shows up when you go to >>752090

I missed the spring peepers here because I couldn't figure out why my mic wasn't working with my netbook. Then last week I tried again and it worked. I never did figure out what was wrong though. Right now, I have neighbor dogs. The small yippy kind that just barks all ALL night long. So, recordings all have that crap in it.
>>
>>752090
for someone bashful, you sure do plug yourself often
>>
>>752145
Ah that sounds pretty cool! I wish i was handier with component-level electronics. Oh the "Swamp At Night" one. Yeah that has one or two booms in it. Those are all tree frogs. Sound like pigeons/doves almost. Sucks about the yappers. I have neighbors who go through dogs like kleenex... sometimes they're yappers. Right now they have a yapper who seems kinda old and hoarse so he doesn't yapp too much, which is nice
>>
>>752152
Yeah I'm stopping that, it's weird
>>
>>752066
>Recently get a book called Survival Is A Dying Art
>Says it dictates how to survive in the wild
>"Now first you'll need all these tools and shit and don't forget to pack this and that and make sure this is high quality stuff"
>Watch Primitive Technology
>Guy in his fucking shorts makes a tiled roof hut with central heating using nothing but mud and sticks
THIS guy should be writing survival books. I'd read that right quick.
>>
>>752180
I wonder how/when/where PrimTechGuy learned all this stuff. I heard Discovery or TLC or something was interested in doing a show with him. He might be a total asspee though that they don't wanna put on camera. I've never seen him talk or anything
>>
>>752185
He's said in video descriptions that this is all from years of trial and error combined with the occasional research.

I think a show with him would be great. If not him directly, at least someone he instructs. Showing the public what a man can do with literally nothing would be great. There are so many helpless people today, and people who think they're hot shit because they can go camping with a plethora of tools and kits and shit.
>>
>>752185
>>752189
I hope he's not selling out to some TV station and just keeps doing videos he puts up on the internet.
He's reaching millions of people and he can do whatever he feels like, why put some TV fags in the middle?
>>
>>752185
I think him not talking is part of the traditional way of showing how things are done, instead of explaining in detail.
>>
>>752185
if he starts talking in his videos im gonna drop his shit quick smart

him not talking is so refreshing compared to the usual

>"hey whats going on guys this is [insert youtuber name] and today im ...
> Proceeded to explain something incredibly simple for 10 minutes that can be shown in literally 20 seconds.
> "okay guys thanks for watching doent forget to like and subscribe if you enjoy the video XD"
>>
>>752206
He's not going to start talking any time soon. It's his thing.
I reckon even if he got a TV spot, he wouldn't do any talking. It might just be some british guy doing a voice over of everything like some nature documentary.
>>
>>752209
I'd love to hear David Attenborough narrate this. I could fall asleep to it every night.
>>
>>752155
Seems the spring peepers weren't done. Here's a recording I just finished between posts just now. I have cheap equipment so this is only an underpowered C01U with an ancient netbook and audacity to touch up (only 1 gunshot removed!)

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1461980963914.webm
>>
>>752218
Nice! You must be a bit south from me. Here they pretty much finish-up by the second week or May or so. But if that's a pic related then it's much greener where you are so the peepers are probably finishing up soon.

Also what's that big buzzing thing? Some kinda bullfrog or insect?
>>
>>752228
There was a frog right under the mic actually. It wasn't very loud for some reason. There's 3-4 types of frogs in that recording I think The photo is from a few summers ago. It was pitch black out there when I was recording.
>>
>>752236
Ahhh ok. I just looked up the mic specs and hypercardioid! So it has a very focused but unusual pickup pattern, the frog musta just been sitting outside one of the lobes
>>
>>752242
Yes, that is most likely the problem.
>>
>>752189
He's based so I support him on Patreon, I hope enough people do so that he can just be independent.

He does about a video a month and his Patreon is set up per video, so every video he makes, he gets paid $1,500. If that can get raised to at least $4,000, I don't see why he couldn't stay independent.
>>
>>752204
desu I think it's better that way, I find I can't absorb as much when people talk.
>>
>>752204
HEY GUYS ITS DAVE CANNABERRY FROM THE PATHFINDERSCHOOL FOR PANTHFINDERS TALKING ABOUT PATHFINDING I'M GOING TO TEACH YOU HOW TO WIPE YOUR OWN ASS THE PRIMITIVE WAY!
>10 minute video this way.
>>
>>752204
yeah it's pretty refreshing †bh. it's like survivorman without having to listen to all the rampant racism
>>
>>752280
>TRIGGERED
>>
File: 1461421967729.jpg (146 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1461421967729.jpg
146 KB, 1024x768
>>752090
I've actually been subscribed to your channel for a couple months now, I love it man. I hope to someday be able to do something like this when my life takes a more /trv/ route.

Coyotes hunting in the great basin has been the most amazing thing I've personally heard while /out/ and I wish I had you there to do you voodoo.

In short, I love your shit.

Pic only related to my /trv/ and /out/ hopes and dreams
>>
>>752090
Neat. Subscribed.
>>
>>752090
I gave it a sub anon ;)
>>
Holy shit guys he's planning to go metallurgy at some point.

>>752090
I had already subscribed :) Keep up, anon.
>>
>>752529
>planning to go metallurgy
i have no idea what the logical conclusion to his innovation is going to be. he may be the first to colonize the moon
>>
>>752530
Yeah nothing surprises me anymore.
>>
>>752530
>he may be the first to colonize the moon
>youtube type of comments on the Chain
Anon pls.
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12 KB, 261x195
>>752539
>4chan
>youtube
>competing standards
anon dbl pls
>>
>>752539
>reading youtube comments

Reprehensible.
>>
>>752572
Are that anon always posting images like your pic related?
>>
File: s_geeps.png (17 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
s_geeps.png
17 KB, 261x195
>>752578
am I what?
>>
>>752579
>>735076
>Seems like an autist, best not to reply. He'll learn to not be an idiot soon enough.
they were right kek
>>
File: 1462033110347.png (8 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1462033110347.png
8 KB, 261x195
>>752582
oh, yeah
>>
>>752185
I suppose you could figure out most stuff yourself, bake clay and you get tiles, use stones to cut trees etc. I haven't really seen him do anything I had never seen before but that might be due to reading a lot of history.
>>
>>752090
I loved your Creaking trees vid
>>
>>752282
>survivorman
>rampant racism

huh?
>>
>>753408
thanks! i really have to get more contact mic/stethoscope recordings
>>
File: 021974644.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
021974644.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>752090
Fuck it. Have a sub
>>
>>755075
you've always been such a good friend anon.
>>
>>752090
Listening to autumn swamp right now, here have a sub.
>>
>>752529
Is that confirmed? In the description for his "making charcoal" video, he strongly hinted at smelting ores, but didn't outright claim that it was his next step. Seems like quite a hurdle, he has no anvil, tongs, hammer, etc for forging. I'd love to see how he does it though.
>>
>>755219
the autumn swamp one is super quiet and eerie. i was expecting more life out there but it's cool in its own way... all you hear is the atmosphere and occasionally some weird animals squawking
>>
>>752273
Not to mention opening it up to a global audience. If he started speaking English, half his viewers wouldn't know what was going on anymore.

I've also wondered how much of his viewerbase is women, just because he never wears anything besides shorts. Strong, silent type...

Honestly, I think he's done everything right to gain as much popularity as possible. As long as he slowly continuously transitions towards the iron age, he'll probably end up making millions off of videos of him playing with dirt and sticks.

Tl;Dr
Dude rocks, I'm quite envious.
>>
>>752066
Damn he makes it all looks so easy.
>>
>>755361
It is easy, just time consuming. That's why there's months in between several of his videos. Most people just don't want to stop watching television long enough to actually do stuff. In villages that don't have television, everybody builds the huts the live in, usually starting around age twelve.
>>
>>752066
>tfw you will never live 2000 years ago
why even live?
>>
>>755393
You can always artificially cause an cataclysmic apocalyptic event that throws humanity back into a modern day post-apocalyptic dark age full of rape, horror and handwoven carpets for your mud-based housing.
>>
>>755395
I'll take it. Been watching Ops videos for awhile now.
I dream of a simple life.
>>
>>752090
i love the creaking tree one!
>>
>>755433
funny enough that was actually just a test run with some new preamps, and i was having battery problems, so it came-out kinda shoddy (noisy and levels kept going wonky on me)

but that was pretty much all i got before all the wind died down so it's all i have at the moment. woulda been so much nicer without the technical problems. gonna do some underwater recording with those contact mics ASAP which could be really cool
>>
>>752189
This would be bad, people would be "bushcrafting" all over american parks. At least you can pick up litter.
>>
>>752204
This is why I subbed.
>>
>>752090
i liked the afternoon thunder a lot, very calming!
>>
>>757303
>This would be bad, people would be "bushcrafting" all over american parks. At least you can pick up litter.
It would be fucking based.
>Mud tile houses with heated floors pop up in place of cardboard box camps.
>>
>>757848
More like
>someone cuts down a bunch of trees, strips the back from a bunch more, and digs a big hole then gets bored and goes home, leaving a dozen beer cans behind
>>
>>752090
Already subscribed faggot. Love the max comfy.
>>
>>758785
Thanks bruv. I tried to get a new one last night that probably would have been really nice but I got rained-out bad. I'm thinking I might try it again tonight though if I can
>>
>>758796
I think my all time favorite is the thunderstorm. The thunder sounds amazing in my headset. Only thing that sucks is it's so short.
That and the rain. It's relaxing to listen to while doing things.
Do you just upload what you record or do you edit it? I'd love to have something longer that I could listen to while I work. You could make different themes that might be really popular. It's a great alternative to music.
>>
>>758805
The newest thunder one did come out awesome! I've been trying to get a thunderstorm for 2-3 years and they keep missing us by several miles to the north or south, so I haven't gotten a good one yet. That new one was supposed to hit us perfectly so I recorded about an hour - in that hour there were only those two cracks of distant thunder. They were like 20mins apart so in that case I edited so they were only a minute or so apart. All my recordings are unedited as-it-happened but it seemed silly for me to upload a 45min recording of nothing with two thunderclaps hidden in there.

So yeah, I'll keep trying. I would kill to have like an hour of honest unedited thunderstorm... maybe this year!

Also if you haven't happened-upon the blizzard one that one's really cool. Only like 5mins though. Glad you like it! I'm gonna be recording a lot this summer so hopefully there'll be some gems in the new batch.
>>
>>758815
Yeah, 45 minutes of nothing would be silly.
Maybe you'll capture a thunder clap right overhead. I love when my whole house shakes...those are the best.
Keep up the good work m8
>>
>>752090
I've been looking for something like this, actually. Absolutely fucking love it, man. Good job. Subbed.
>>
>>760070
Awesome, thanks man! I have to say I never cease to be surprised that there are actually a lot of people out there who like this kinda stuff. Glad you enjoy! Hopefully I'll be able to keep adding more good stuff to the library over time.
>>
>>752090
Subbity-dub.
>>
>>752090
Look great, it's actually just the sort of thing I have been looking for. I'm definitely going to be using these for sleep, so calming.
>>
>>752090
haha sub'd fagg't
>>
>>757954
Actually Lilly does that. She has an unfinished series about building a shelter at a public park or something. Cringeworthy desu
>>
Anybody know whether he'll be able to skip over making bronze and go straight to iron? I think that his charcoal burns hot enough to smelt iron, but I don't know enough about the process to say any more. I do know that tin and copper are rarely found together, so if he wanted to make bronze then he would need to get the two ores from different places, which sounds really difficult for a single person.
>>
>>763948
Iron you have to forge -- bronze can be cast relatively easily. Video about copper smelting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uHc4Hirexc
Because iron is pretty complicated to make anything useful and since bronze isn't much more difficult than bronze, he'll probably stick with either copper or bronze. I imagine he might need to find some copper nearby, or tin, or some such, if he starts working metallurgy.
>>
>>764147
>current year
>not forging your bronze
baka senpai
>>
>>763948
You can't skip it m8. It's like age of empires, you need to progress your way up.
>>
>>755391
Maybe i just suck at this but i can't even get long strips of fibers like he does, it always breaks after i pulled about 20cm of it off of the bark. at best.
>>
>>763948
>>764147
Since he is in Australia it is far more likely that he is going straight to iron, should be pretty easy to find.
As to forging compared to casting, unless you are doing very complicated designs forging iron is not hard at all.

He has already pointed out that his kiln should be able to reach 1400 celsius with charcoal which is more then enough.
>>
>>764186
>>764147
Im trying to track down some malachite abd casserite for cheap, to smelt. Any one have a source for these that isnt priced for premium uses like lapidary or fine pigment?
>>
>>752066
Old tech meets new tech. Instead of making pitch with a goose egg like a neanderthal, put the birch bark in a small metal container and make it airtight, just like making charcloth for your empty lighter with still functioning spark to start fires. Then you get pitch for gluing your arrowheads onto your arrows.
>>
>>752090
So after being subbed to you for about 3 weeks, I can say that I'll be falling asleep to your stuff. So relaxing.
>>
>>752066
That stick he uses that goes up and down when he weaves confuses me. I read the description but I still down get it.
Maybe if I get some sleep my tired brain will work.
>>
>>765930
Instead of weaving in and out, he has every other line separated on the frame. This way, he can just run the stick through the fabric, lift the frame, run it through, lower the frame, etc and it has the same effect as if he alternated each strand individually.
>>
>>765940
Thanks anon
>>
>>765482
Naw thanks man! I hope to keep packing in more stuff this summer (goal is once a week but that might a bit too ambitious). Glad you enjoy!
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.