[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When hiking, how do i stay the hell away from animals' things?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: snek.jpg (42 KB, 326x236) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
42 KB, 326x236
When hiking, how do i stay the hell away from animals' things? (aka not hurt them/intervene in their lives and not get myself hurt by them)
>>
File: giphy.gif (1020 KB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1020 KB, 290x189
>>751950
>how do i stay the hell away from animals' things
sadly it's not up to you OP. it's up to them.
>>
>>751950
LNT.

Other than that, it's really up to chance, considering you're not the kind of person to extend their arm in an occupied den or whatever.
>>
>>751950
Stay on the trail desu
>>
To be honest if you're /out/ alot there's a good chance you'll eventually run into a critter or their home, my advice is don't be the asshole who thinks HURR DURR IM GONNA PLAY WITH THEY ANIMAL, just leave them alone and dont just fuck their shit up. But i'm sure you already knew all this.
>>
File: ba853_elf_shoes.jpg (57 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ba853_elf_shoes.jpg
57 KB, 400x300
By wearing bells on your shoes you'll let the animals know you're around and they'll stay away.
>>
>>751950
where do you live op?
Most of the time, if you walk with a heavy footfall or make any noise, animals will move out of your way before you have a chance to even see them. In saying that, against snakes I'd just wear gaiters as they often wont move until its too late - or alternatively just keep an eye out.
>>752402
apparently the Japanese hike with Bells on their pack to ward off bears
>>
>>753057
Someone told me once they met some germans in Banff with steaks on their packs because they wanted to see bears.
>>
>>753060
Crazy krauts.
>>
>>753060
I heard bears only eat porridge
>>
>>753067
and hunny
>>
>>752402
This is actually the best answer. Humans ain't nothin' but bad news for the natural world, so if critters hear you coming they'll usually stay out of your way.
>>
>>752402

This doesn't really work. The high pitch is out of the hearing range of some animals, the small jingle bells aren't very loud, and some bears are actually attracted to the sound. You either need real sleigh bells (like on a horse) or a cowbell for this to work.
>>
>>753057

>cloth gaiters stopping snake fangs

kek
>>
>>753100

And Timothys
>>
>>753108

>cowbell
>dinner bell
>>
>>753174
>cloth gaiters
I certaintly did say, or mean, cloth gaiters. Most Australian hikers wear heavy duty canvas gaiters to prevent snake bikes. But even without them most snakes will bite just the fabric of your pants (if yr wearing them and not shorts) and not go into your leg, provided your wearing loose pants.
>>
>>751950
That's a ball python m8, you've got nothing to fear :^)
>>
>>753181

>Most Australian hikers

kek do they? Where are you from, then?

>inb4 the kimberley
>in reality, lygon st

>loose pants beats snake bite

C'mon man you can't possibly believe that shit.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.