[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: photofail.jpg (83 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
photofail.jpg
83 KB, 500x489
Hi fellow sc/out/s!
I'll be doing a couple multi-day hikes over the summer and was thinking about bringing my DSLR along. How do you carry your camera for easy accessibility? Near the top of your pack seems like a no-brainer, but I'm not feeling having to take my 20+ lb bag on and off multiple times to get the camera+lens out... Also would bringing wide angle and zoom lens be overkill?
>>
>Also would bringing wide angle and zoom lens be overkill?

depends on how much emphasis you're putting on photography during the hike. but if you're too lazy to take a 20 lb pack off a couple extra times, i'm guessing probably no.
>>
>>751905
Check out lowepro, they make a lot if /out/ camera carry stuff including a frint-carry DSLR case for when you're backpacking.
>>
>>751905
crazy pic. more like this plz
>>
File: DSC_4090_-L.jpg (210 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4090_-L.jpg
210 KB, 800x533
>>751905
I don't carry my DSLR for "easy access" - I carry it for good photos I can take the time to set up and shoot well.

I carry a small/light P&S for the "easy access" shots.

Pack my DSLR near the top of the pack, yes. Anything spillable should go below your camera.
I usually strap my tripod outside, on the side of my pack. Gorillapod goes inside when I carry that.

Wide+long isn't overkill, as long as you're going out to shoot. I usually add a prime to my bag since they're small/light and give me a huge aperture if i'm out at night.
Then there's the rest of the shit that goes with the DSLR - Intervalometer, remote, strobe(s), triggers, tripod(s), filters...

>Be me, after a fresh top-end on the moto (Cylinder, piston, head/valves)
>Need to do engine break-in, shake-down - couple heat cycles
>Pack all my usual tools and then some (Torque wrench to recheck some fasteners, sockets/allens/wrenches I don't usually carry)
>along with extra fluids (oil, coolant) in gatorade bottles because small and convenient
>Pull into a gas station to check things, keep riding
>Get into some fun dirt twisties
>Motor's working well, fluids holding levels, no weird noises, nothing loose on the motor/chassis
>Why am I sliding all over the seat?
>reach back, feel seat, all oily/wet
>Stop, park bike, oil all over my pack/seat
>Take pack off. Oil all over tool wrap, first aid kit, camelbak bladder
>exxonvaldezinmybackpack.jpg
>Cameras, radio, phone, flashlight thankfully all on top above the mess
>Wipe up what I can with the toilet paper and gauze I had in baggies
>Wipe as much oil as I can off the seat and my ass
>Keep riding, got a couple heat cycles in and overall had a great ride
>Back home, unload, fill bathtub with hot water, dawn dish soap, and simple green
>In goes my pants, pack, tools, camelbak bladder
>mfw these tools will never rust
>>
File: crumpler-stunner.jpg (22 KB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
crumpler-stunner.jpg
22 KB, 300x252
>>751905

>accesibility
I usually use a bag that I can carry on my side... you can get your dslr out pretty quickly but can be uncomfortable on some hikes.

> lens
depends what you're planning on photographing... I usually do just fine with some kit lens and 50mm for portraits. Telephoto's are my wet dream... but sound like extra weight to me... unless you go /out/ with intention of only photographing.
>>
I like to carry a small minox 35 film camera
it is small, lightweight and the dynamic range is not as disappointing as my dslr's

don't carry too much equipment
make a compromise and take the lens with you that you enjoy the most
>>
File: Neil-holster.jpg (213 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Neil-holster.jpg
213 KB, 800x600
>>751905
Thinktank digital holster. I attach it to the belt of my rucksack.

Pic related but mine is the '5' for my Fuji
>>
favorite lenses for nature? I want a wide angle for landscape. nikon d700 memera, so looking for full frame. Basically been using cheap 50mm prime. Keep it under 1k if possible.
>>
File: PhotoSport_200AWII-feature.jpg (89 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
PhotoSport_200AWII-feature.jpg
89 KB, 800x800
>>752295
>I don't carry my DSLR for "easy access"
If you can, why not?

I like the Lowe side-loading backpacks for day hikes and street photography, you just slip one strap off and swing it around, but they probably wouldn't hold enough for a multi day trip. For that I'd put a zoom bag on the hip belt or something like that.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.