[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you put your life at risk when /out/? >Going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
File: dsc06971.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
dsc06971.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
How often do you put your life at risk when /out/?
>Going to the very tip of huge cliffs, jumping from highs into rivers that you don't know the bottom, climbing trees.
Things like these.

I take a lot of unnecessary risks mostly for the sake of the view and that adrenaline feel that you get when the rock under your feet can slip and you mostly certainly will fall into your death.
>>
Literally every time I go /out/. Just yesterday I went swimming in a creek that feeds straight into a river after 4" of rain. Shit was like 8' deep before the rain.
>>
File: 1455922090892.jpg (111 KB, 645x793) Image search: [Google]
1455922090892.jpg
111 KB, 645x793
>climbing trees
>life at risk

kek
too many pussies /out/doors now, who won't climb a tree because it'll break or won't jump into a river because of muh microbes
the adrenaline rush of danger is the best
>>
File: Eucalyptus-pulchella-4.jpg (327 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Eucalyptus-pulchella-4.jpg
327 KB, 1600x1200
>>751780
>climbing shit like this
>not putting your life at risk
Ok mister monkey
>>
File: 1439310899048.jpg (67 KB, 428x599) Image search: [Google]
1439310899048.jpg
67 KB, 428x599
>>751784
that wouldn't be too difficult to climb, mate.
>>
>>751787
You're failing the point mr monkey. Is not about how difficult it is, is about even if you can do it easily you are risking it no matter what, all you need is a branch to break and maybe you end with a broken arm, leg or back.

It's not difficult to go to the edge of a cliff either. ;_;
>>
>>751767
>How often do you put your life at risk when /out/?
Only when I have to, and take every precaution to reduce the risk of injuries to the best of my hability.
>>
>>751767
Not often.

I spent the last 7 years careless boxing; and now I'm scared of brain damage. I have a 9 year old son and he means more to me than living up to the false ideals of masculinity propagated by TV. Hunter gatherer era man wouldn't of taken dumb risks; he was smart.
>>
>>752661
Damn dude that shit's deep.....
>>
>>752638
You don't have to bump on the /out/ thread.

I risk within reason. I don't do shit because "It makes me look manly" or anything. I do shit for conveniences. I've walked across sketchy iced over lakes because it was more convenient than walking an extra 3 miles around it. I knew the risks of it, and in retrospect all the shit I have done that's risky, I've regretted on the basis of "You dumb fuck you could have easily gotten hurt."
>>
>>751767
>my life is unsatisfying, unnecessarily dull, and stifling
>better go risk a neck injury!

In your prepackaged and safe life where you are a part of society, you don't get the risk of defending yourself, hunting for yourself, or managing risk vs. safe choices on a daily basis where you're ultimately fighting for survival, so you go out on the weekends and create "false" risk situations, where yeah, you could end up dead, but it is just as manufactured and calculated as your life back home is. You're making the choice to be unsafe in an environment that still largely offers you safety (preparation, emergency services, cordoned off wilderness, etc). You're grasping for straws at that true wild feeling that your ancestors had that you won't ever quite get to experience. You choosing to walk on the careless and slightly more dangerous path is just as deliberate and falsely unsafe as walking on the center line of a highway. Manufactured adrenaline highs that are the result of poor decisions because one cannot make poor decisions anywhere else in their life is not exciting. It's stupid. But keep dancing on the edge till you break one of your bones, and then make sure to contact your medical insurance provider, local hospital, x-ray tech, doctor, physical therapist, and set up appointments at the occupational therapist's office until you get full range of motion back and can go back out into the woods and make other manufactured and fake dangerous decisions for a little thrill.

Because that's cool.
>>
>>752674
I like you. You see how it is.
>>
>>752674
3deep5me
>>
File: tl.gif (495 KB, 168x130) Image search: [Google]
tl.gif
495 KB, 168x130
>>752674
Was about to read it but then realized it was moralfag shit coming probably from a fat as fuck neckbeard that can't walk 1 mile away from his mobility chair.
>>
>>751767
Only really risky thing I do is go /out/ alone and in winter, plus rockclimbing, iceclimbing and winter mountaineering. I'll probably die in an avalanche or fall at some point but I still think it's worth the risk.
>>
>>751791
>mfw we met upon a group of drunk hikers while backpacking through a backcountry campsite.
>One of the dumb fuckers had climbed a tree, prolly didnt even make it that high up, and broked his leg when he fell to the ground.
>if we hadnt helped drag his dumbass outta there,
>chances are he could possibly have died from shock, exposure, and no one sober enough to get him back down the trail to civilization and medical treatment
>>
>>751777
>swam in a river
>risked life
>>
>>751780

>not jump into river cause microbes

Microbes? Try paraplegia.
>>
>>751787

>Strangling a roman with his own SPQR

kek
>>
>>752674

Whenever I see that a base jumper or similar has died and everyone's all crying and fucked up and shit I can't help but just shake my head. What the fuck did you think was gonna happen, you idiots?
>>
>>752892

>broked his leg

What are you, 4 years old?
>>
>>751767
>How often do you put your life at risk when /out/?

Every time I drive to a new place.
>>
>>753206
>STRAYA
>>
>>753221

Kek beat me to it

Captcha: Select all images with limousines
>>
>>751767
People do stupid shit all the time to "feel alive"....until they die doing it. Then they don't feel anything. Have fun with that, daredevilfags.
>>
I mostly go out to take photos of wild animals, including boars, bisons, and soon wolves and bears. I try _NOT_ to put myself at risk, but there's always a risk when you're interacting with dangerous animals.

Does that count?
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 600x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 600x710
>>753234
Everyone dies no matter what faggot. When was the last time your heart was banging in your chest and your adrenalin was pumping while you were bawling down a hill on your bike, dodging trees at 30mph; Or free climbing a wall you found solo hiking; or jumping off a cliff where you have to clear a certain point or smash into rocks at the bottom; or exploring a derelict factory. I do potentially dangerous stuff all the time, you just have to trust yourself and know your limits. And also not be a gaping pussy.
>>
File: 1435902921627.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1435902921627.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>753197
woah,... stand back folks, we've got a liberal arts english grammar major here....
>>
>>752661
>wouldn't of

kill urself my man
>>
>>751780
You're not climbing high enough mate
>>
File: re.gif (98 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
re.gif
98 KB, 500x375
>>753382
>not climbing high enough mate
Meh, I'd rather find the right kind of plant and use it to get high while i'm still on the ground, if you know what i mean
>>
>>751780
brain worms aint nothin to fuck with
>>
>>751784
where the fuck is that africa or some shit nigger jesus fuck you risk life and limb just existing there let alone climbing a shitty fucking koala tree
>>
>>753542
try living in detroit i guess
>>
>>751767
Yes, have done some bushwhacking and mountain climbing without any route knowledge. Plus nobody knew where I was at, nor was there cellphone coverage. Not really adrenaline related but trying to see shit that isn't covered with cairns.
>>
>>751767
Intentionally risking your life in such a manner is basically you saying, "I care so little about the rest of my life that the small adrenaline rush I'll get from manufacturing very risky situations is worth a greatly increased chance of death or injury."

There is a certain level of inherent risk in many things in life but actively seeking to elevate the danger of an activity is goober-tier and will lead to regrets and a wheelchair.

That said, go ahead and remove yourself and potential progeny from the gene pool.
>>
File: SAM_1585.jpg (4 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1585.jpg
4 MB, 2736x3648
>>751767

Occasionally
>>
>>751767
When hiking, not really ever.
When skiing, sometimes. The cliffs that you view as 'If I go anywhere near that, I'm risking my life because I might accidentally fall off' are the cliffs that I jump off intentionally. Think typically up to 20-25 feet, max 40 feet.
>>
>>753892
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>753338

You so cool big boy
>>
>>753342

>Thinking university level education is necessary to not talk like a child

You a big boy now uh-huh!
>>
>>753892

Wow bet that looked cool on your instafag
>>
>>753911
>The cliffs that you view as

Speak for yourself, fagnuts
>>
>>753973
And your problem is?
>>
>>754029

You should build some cairns they look cool in photos
>>
>>753534
get a load of this KEWL DOOD! WOW! Invite him to the party, lets talk to him!
>>
>>751767
High skill causes reduced risk.
For experienced climbers, climbing is relatively low risk because they have the experience that almost certainly prevents lethal rookie mistakes.
Other would say i put my life at risk quite often, i disagree with them.
>>
>>751780
I climbed up a really tall tree a few weeks ago after smoking 7 joints and sniffing 4 lines of ketamine and almost died.
I fell and only survived cos I hit a branch on the way down and was able to grab onto it.
>>
>>754197

Donny Danger right here
>>
File: IMG_20160502_194939.jpg (1 MB, 2144x2511) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160502_194939.jpg
1 MB, 2144x2511
>>754260
My mom never said "be careful that you don't fall", she always said things like "be sure to hold on", as a result i am relatively fearless.
People need to be taught how to not make mistakes, instead of what can go wrong, it might save lives.

>pic related
A 5/5 terrain geocache i logged on april the third.
Only to discover it has been archived for years due to protected forest stuff.
>>
>>753972
Whoah! Shhhh! Be quiet now kids,... there's a super mature real life adult here!
>>
The level of maturity in this thread is incredible. /sarcasm

I typically hike alone, frequently change plans mid-hike and don't carry a phone. I also carry a very minimalistic first-aid kit. I make a point to not take undue risks because I know it very well may be something I don't come back from.
>>
>>754811
Not carrying a phone? I generally pack pretty light too but I still think a couple ounces for GPS, maps, a camera and the ability to call for help is well worth it.
>>
>>752688
Ad hominem much? Your twelveandwhatisthis is showing.
>>
File: autism pepe.png (308 KB, 492x419) Image search: [Google]
autism pepe.png
308 KB, 492x419
>>751767
I once got trashed and scaled a 30 foot wall on the Snake River.

Spearfishing in murky water and shooting a fish anyway even though I just saw a shark.

Encountered a poacher and told him to "throw it on the ground or I'll kill you where you stand" instead of having a civil talk about what he's doing on my land.

Besides that stupidity, I'm generally pretty cautious.
>>
>>754607

>there's a super mature real life adult here!

Aka a normal person, aka someone who doesn't speak like a child
>>
>>754820
>throw it on the ground or I'll kill you where you stand

Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

>John Wayne fantasies.jpg
>>
>>754919
Forgot to mention that the poacher fired a "warning shot" into the air when he saw me, so things were a mite heated.

Maybe one day when you think you're being shot at you'll understand getting pissed off.
>>
>>754924

Well I would have understood it if you'd mentioned it.

I've heard about this sort of thing happening before and I really don't get who the fuck would walk onto someone else's land, poach their animals and then have the balls to shoot at someone who's trying to stop them. Over a few fucking pheasants!

I mean if you're going to do that in the first place you should at least have the decency to fuck off when you get caught.

Anyway, what happened after you busted him?
>>
>>754950
Called Dad, asked him what to do and walked him off with a stern warning. Couldn't prove the shooting stuff had gone down and so it wasn't worth hiring lawyers over.
>>
>>754812
Sorry, I meant that I don't carry a phone with service. I do still use it for mapping and photos, I'm just limited to making calls from WiFi, so I wouldn't be able to ask anyone to come pick me up.
>>
>>754820
Obviously he was poaching. If he'd been a hiker or whatever that may have been a bit overboard, but if he's taking game I'd say you were well justified in keeping a bead on him until he was off your property.
>>
>>755280
You can still use it to call 911 if you have to (and you have coverage)
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.