[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else rock run? It's a savage mix of trail running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: images(4).jpg (14 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images(4).jpg
14 KB, 300x168
Anyone else rock run?

It's a savage mix of trail running and bouldering through rough boulder laden canyons and the jagged coastal shores.

I've been doing it for years with no real injures but quite a few scares. It requires your complete and total focus on you footing and the ability to bound from boulder to boulder while keepung your momentum because the end goal is beating the clock.
>>
That sounds like literally the faggiest thing you could do while out.
>>
>>750611
Probably faggy when OP does it, but it can be cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Z1-smRsoU
>>
>>750614
>but it can be cool
If you didn't get a sponsorship for trail running nor climbing, and you are trying to get kids hype with all that adrenaline and monster/red bull shit.

>>750540
We are not your target m8, kids hang out at /b/ and /pol/

Here, I'll link you to them

>>>/b/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>750616
>go to /b/
What does that even mean?

I like fast paste bouldering because it's a highly technical exercise that I can do outside in bueatiful wilderness.

Keep stroking your Mosin you fat fuck with hiking boots.
>>
File: 546721576.gif (416 KB, 233x268) Image search: [Google]
546721576.gif
416 KB, 233x268
>>750614
This vid is exactly what I'm talking about. I live for this shit and have been doing it for years.

MFW: You outdoor NEETs can't come close to the physical fitness and skill level needed to rock run like we do. You would break your fat clumbsy neck.
>>
>>750611
See
>>750622
>>
>>750622
I guess you are under the impression that you are talking to someone in murrica. I'm not. I'm a mountaineer actually located in the Andes. And what you are talking about needs the endurance you need to run 15km, so I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed.
>>
>>750540
is this the newest /out/ meme?
>>
File: Chouinard75DRTalus1.jpg (119 KB, 742x590) Image search: [Google]
Chouinard75DRTalus1.jpg
119 KB, 742x590
people have been doing this for decades. doug robinson, o.g. sierra hardman, wrote "running talus" about it in 1975
>>
>>750643
It's a basic mountaineer traning exercise. You would set camp at a ridge and part of the training would be to get down to the valley as fast as you can to gather water from a stream, and come back loaded, always with your ice axe tho, to help you self arrest if things go south.
>>
>>750635
>Running

Yeah running on uneven, jagged, and unpredictable, sometimes loose boulders. While needing to up and down climb, bound off of rock faces, all while keeping crystal clear focus on where your foot is falling next, and will you have enough momentum to carry you over the next fissure.

If you misjudge then you'll be hobbling 5miles out of the canyon with a broken ankle. I've seen it happen.

>running
>>
File: nike_airterra_m1_1000.jpg (387 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
nike_airterra_m1_1000.jpg
387 KB, 1000x1000
>>750643
Very cool read, thanks for that m8.

These are the shoes I just ordered to try out on California's central coast. Nike terra kiger. I'm sure I'll get maybe 4 or 5 good runs out of them before the rough costal geology fucks them up.
>>
>>750643
>>750645
Pretty fucking neato
>>
>>750646
I answered your post here, not knowing I was going to answer you but commenting on anon's post >>750645

Seriouslly, you are just describing an /out/ weekend for any mountaineer in the Andes, and I guess everywhere else in the world.

Please take note, I'm not fighting with you. I'm trying to tell you that if you are enjoying it, you can go farther. You always need to be crystal clear focus when in the mountains. And yes, one misstep and it becomes an ordeal. By now you are just wasting energy jumping boulders for instagram. Put that effort into something. Find a nice mountain, be clever about it, plan it, get the topos, prepare yourself, and go for it.
>>
>>750654
I think that high altitude is affecting your brain power mi amigo, your posts make 0 sense
>>
>>750666
>Dem digits
>Confirmed for mischievous
Satan pls go back to your native board >>>/lgbt/
>>
File: DSC_0619.jpg (899 KB, 1400x884) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0619.jpg
899 KB, 1400x884
>>750650
I love Nikes uppers but their soles are all garbage. For doing what the OP described I recommend Montrail Mountain Masochists or Salomon S Lab Speeds
>>
>>750654
That's why I like the pic in >>750643. It basicly says it's the novice precursor to mountineering. I would very much love to get into that but I'm not at that level yet and I know no one who can teach me the ropes (pun unintended) of rock climing.

For now I'm comfortable with my weekend 20mile backpack excursion and "boulder hopping" on the week days. Some day I will work my way up to climbing.
>>
>>750670
What the fuck is up with all that ammo? Are you expecting to run into the Hills Have Eyes creatures? Or maybe you think bears have begun hunting in packs.

Either way it's pointless weight.
>>
>>750674
There's bound to be some serious mountain club around you. I was not near at that level when I started. I just had the usual camping trips with my family and a couple of little hikes that I went with friends in summer for the lulz and giggles. My dad did some srs climbs in his days in the army but refused to teach me so I went solo, found a mountain club and just went there. Worst case scenario is they tell you no. Fuck them.

It was expensive and I was poor af. I offered to help for free with tiding up ropes and shit, because rich kids climb but they don't fix their ropes nor fix camp. And I was lucky enough to be accepted as an aprentice and went through the course as any other mortal

Second day the instructor got us running down hill through boulders pretty much as descrived in the op. It was not winter. I'm not talking snow covered rocks here. Lesson learneds are: Always carry my ice axe, that means always (as jarheads value their rifles, I value my ice axe and it's always with me, even in the noobiest of trails) ; and always carry a climbing helmet.

So what I'm trying to tell you is to look out for the oportunity, and meanwhile be safe and get as much knowledge as you can. And get a helmet, Seriouslly, get a helmet. You don't want to present your family your brains.
>>
>>750684
Solid advice anon! Thankyou. I'm looking into local clubs and I'll invest in a helmet ASAP!
>>
File: costanza.jpg (9 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
9 KB, 248x252
>>750540
>savage mix

get over yourself
>>
>>750697
Nah bro, just post and if there's a climber around they will seriouslly help. When you get your helmet start a thread and we will talk about mountains, share experience and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes. Start a mountaineer general with your helmet, that will be nice. Don't struggle by the way, get the one you can get as long as it's certified. Camp makes top tier helmets that wont cost a house. Best of lucks.
>>
>>750679
You got memed m8
>>
No thanks OP, I'd rather not sprain my ankle or break my leg jumping around on rocks. I'll just stick to regular hiking.
>>
>>750711
Will make a post with my helmet, thanks again m8.
>>
>>751220
I love this board, always checking it. Do some research and post links before buying it. We can help you decide. Best of lucks bro
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.