[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hardtail vs. FS??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: hard_vs_soft.jpg (15 KB, 315x315) Image search: [Google]
hard_vs_soft.jpg
15 KB, 315x315
mountain bikers, i'm having a crisis and not sure what to get... only looking to spend $1000 or so but just can't decide
>>
Hardtail.
>>
Any full suspension bike for $1k even used is going to be awful
>>
>>750538
What's the mora of mbikes? Get that one
>>
>>750543
perhaps you could elaborate on why
>>
>>750578
Not him but most of the effort when going down is going to be on the front wheel, so as long as you are fit and have some sort of flexibility on your hips you don't need the extra cash on suspending the back part of your bike.

Also this >>750547
>>
>>750543
>/n/
>>
>>750599
->/n/
>>
>>750600
>>/n/
>>
>>750538
if you only have 1 grand to spend there is no choice at all. hardtail.

personally no matter how much money i have, i prefer hardtails. my favorite bike is a mountain bike with absolutely no suspension. steel of course. it rides well on trails and the street and it looks unassuming so it is my everyday bike.

but yea, your obvious choice on your budget is a good hardtail.
>>
>>750578
because >>750547 and >>750592

Also, if you have to ask, you're probably better off on a hardtail and improving your bike handling skills instead of letting the suspension make up for lack of finesse. If you're already skilled and you know you want FS to progress in your riding, then you probably wouldn't be asking.
>>
Generally Hardtails are a bit better for longer distance on smoother trails.
FS for rougher trails, more downhill, less efficient, weigh more.

Of course you could take a fixie in the woods if you really really wanted to. I won't judge
>>
>>750538
>hardtail
>full suspension

Rigid or go home.
>>
>>751190
I made my first fixie from an old mountain bike back in the 90s, trail riding fixed is a blast. You probably want a flip flop hub or a Dingle though, a good offroad gear is too slow on the road.
http://63xc.com/
>>
FS is only good if you do a lot of down hill biking.
>>
>>751401
> or go home.
My way is the only way, get what I have or you are wrong.
>>
>>750592
Confirmed for retard xc spandex-clad faggot. When downhilling on trail, it's best to land nearly every jump with the back wheel first.

OPs question is better answered with knowledge of the terrain, first. Suspension is about control, not comfort. A wheel has to be on the ground to steer, brake, or accelerate. Hardtails do not absorb bumps like FS, so are not in contact with the ground as much. In slower or soft conditions this is ok, so the added power efficiency of a hardtail is preferrable.
>>
>>751765
>retarded faggot
well hello /n/
>>
>>751637
>My way is the only way, get what I have or you are wrong.

Correct, now stop biking and go home.
>>
>>750538
I need a good MB but dont want to spend more than $500

Is the Fuji Nevada any good?. Its Hardtail. weighs about 32 lbs for the XL 29er size
>>
OP if you get a hardtail you will get a better bike for your money; and, as you see in this thread, you will be allowed to act/feel superior to any other rider who has more suspension than you regardless of their skill. Seems like a win/win to me.

Seriously though, a full suspension bike will be more versatile for riding trails (queue hardtail riders saying that anything a FS bike can do they can do better) but at your price range should definitely buy a hardtail. You will end up with better technique faster as well.

All of you others in this thread who care about how a dude rides are losers and should stick to road biking where the toxic elitism is condoned.
>>
>>752013
the only toxic elitism I see is from you, and that other FS faggot up the page.
>>
>>752051
Both of us recommended the hardtail because it is the clearly the best choice for OP; but I guess you don't waste time actually reading things that come from "FS faggots," do you?
>>
File: image.jpg (340 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340 KB, 666x1000
>>751765
>he's never ridden real trails
Back wheel first? It's like you don't enjoy gaining speed.
>>
Please guys, I came here to get away from the /n/ spergs. Can we just have a normal discussion about bikes without calling each other retarded faggots for not riding how we ride.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.