[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tanning Hides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (105 KB, 1039x1055) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
105 KB, 1039x1055
Does anyone here tan hides? I've gone out shooting and seen lots of rabbits and was hoping to start killing and cooking them, but was wondering if anyone here has any methods they recommend that are cheap-ish and straight forwards to preserving the hide. I'm hoping to get something similar to the pictured pelt.
>>
>>750412
salt
>>
>>750412
brain
>>
>>750419
>>750420
Helpful
>>
>>750419
>>750420

why don't you fucking tools just not post? shitpost is really what you desire to do with your time?
>>
>>750433
are you fucking retarded? Brains and salt are literally the best things to use for tanning hides. Every single animal has enough brain to use to tan its own hide. Fucking twat.
>>
>>750412
You need a way to stretch the hide, Cabelas sells stretches for it, and even chemicals for tanning. you can google and watch videos on the exact procedure, but you can use the animals brains, and salt. All animals contain enough brain to tan their own hides, but make sure you have it stretched before applying brains or salt or other tanning chemicals
>>
>>750435
That's just not true.
>>
>>750439
you need stop hunting niggers anon
>>
http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/braintanning.html

Eat a dick you autist
>>
done two rabbit hides before

i've fucked up two deer hides, i'm gonna need like 3 people to tan the deer hide i have since i'm unexperienced as fuck.
you need to get the flesh off, dry it out, put brains on, make sure the brains are in, soften it out and then smoke it to make it waterproof.
>>
Take the brains of the animal or any brains but it has to be the same or more of the animal. Mash it up into alike a stew in a bucket and dry out your hide after you've cleaned it of its guts and fat, meat etc. Once the hide is completely dry (3-5 days) soak in some water til its a little wet and apply able then wash the hide in the brains and keep on painting it with it. Once that let it dry out a bit and work it til its completely foldable and wearable. Once at that point smoke it. Forgot to mention to stretch it while you are painting it/cleaning it. Best of luck its easy when you know how to do it.
>>
Thoughts in this method?

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-tan-a-rabbit-pelt/?ALLSTEPS
>>
>>750412
>skin animal making sure there is no meat left on hide
>stretch and nail to board
>rub with salt while wet
>let dry

It's really that easy. Once it's dry you'll have to work it to make it flexible.
>>
>>750441
kek

>>750439
confirmed for kkk bob shtf /k/ poster
>>
>>750558
>>750441
>tfw people think i'm a shitposter
>>
>>750412
Skin
[de-hair if you aren't keeping fur]
Scrape the fat off.

Extract Tannin's from Oak bark/Gulls/Acorns
- Boil water with finely chopped/grinded oak bark finer the better
- Let it simmer [if you can burn yourself, you burn the skin]

Throw your hide in the tannin water and let it sit for 24/48 hours or even longer. I like closing off the containers if possible and keeping them out of the sun light after boiling.
-A skin is done tanning when tannins have penetrated all of it’s fibers. Checking by snipping off a sample from a thick edge is the easiest way to see this process, you should see a color diffrence all the way through.
- For thicker skins such as cow, elk, moose. making too strong of a tea can ‘shock’ the hide, meaning the exterior of the hide tans too fully too fast, blocking tannins from getting to the interior fibers of the skin.

Softening your leather.
First off, this can be accomplished by taking out the hide from your tannin and washing it off well in a steam/creek.
hang it up to let it dry, as soon as it starts looking a little dry start appling the oil.
-some good oils to use are lard, bear grease, seal oil, olive oil any liquid and semi-soild oils work best.
- If your gonna "wear" the skins then the oil only should be applied to the outside [grain side] not the side that would come in conntact with your skin.
-keep it hung some place to dry, you're gonna have to strech and oil it many times so be prepaired.
-More oil applied the more "water proof" it will be.

>everyfukintime.
>>
>>750566
>not using brain tanning
>not enjoying the prions
>>
>>750569
Idk how many times I've gotta post the above, before it becomes a standard answer on this board for this damn question.

all you need is water. a container. and some plant that has tannin's plus some oil. not even salt is required.

Messing with any sort of spinal fluid, or brain. is pretty much prion heaven.
>>
>>750571
Well, as long as one doesn't consume the brain and has good hygiene then the chances of prions will drop. If only doesn't use an animal that is acting of a character, prion chances will drop. If you don't eat the finished product or put it in your mouth the chances of prion will drop. To my knowledge, prions cannot be transmitted through the skin.
>>
>>750573
As long as you don't get fingered by primitive tanner you're safe m90
>>
>>750580
I mean yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>750573
>when was the last time your hands didn't have some sort of open wound on them.
>when was the last time you wore rubber gloves to skin and handle an animal and its brain.
>wheres the risk of cracking open the skull dealing with jagged bone.

why don't we just be safe and 100% sure?

I mean I understand if you've got perfect office fingers and basically go in your backyard and shoot squirrels to feel like a man.
>>
>>750584
Oh man, it's almost as if I take care of my hands and feet. It's almost as if I observe the animal's behavior, it's almost as if I don't hunt those animals. It's almost as if I don't treat a hide if I have an injury. It's almost as if I take precautions. It's almost as if I use pork brain sometimes, it's almost as if I extract the brain safely.
>>
>>750589
Holy shit you are one pretentious asshole for no apparent reason. "OH NO SOMEONE POSTED SOMETHING THAT'S DIFFERENT TO MY IDEA OF HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE!!" don't you have a blacklives matter rally to go too? maybe women's studies class?

Observing an animal is not a clean cut way to identify prion behaviors. only way to identify prions is taking a piece of brain tissue under a microscope. early onset prion diseases are still transmittable without any behavioral signs.

>It's almost as if I don't treat a hide if I have an injury

nice strawman to my response faglord.

>It's almost as if I use pork brain sometimes
irrelevant as the pork is regularly inspected and is watched it's whole life. if a pig is showing any signs of sickness before its butcher, the brain cannot be sold. if you buy from an unregulated butcher or farmer. you deserve to die a slow painful death.
>>
>>750595
You seem to be more angry friend. I just wish to have a civil argument, but I see that you've thrown the response that I am a liberal. This is completely unrelated to the matter and irrelevant, but if you are curious I am a Conservative.

I'm glad you enjoyed my response, but in reality it is just common sense to be more careful with an injury.

Is the response to the pork brain part meant to be an argument? I said I do take precautions. You seem quite angry because I have the opinion of brain tanning.
>>
>>750595
>>750598
I must agree with you that observing an animal is not a 100% way to identify prion behaviors. However, the fact that prions cannot transmit through the skin still exists. I will continue to believe this until you provide me a source that proves otherwise.
>>
>>750598
>but I see that you've thrown the response that I am a liberal

Not a liberal, liberals shoot up their schools and blow themselves up in name of country.

you're just a retard.
>>
>In the middle of a working week
>/out/ is passive agressive as usual

Can't wait for shitposting friday and overnighter weekend. I just LOVE this board.
>>
>>750603
This still does not relate to the topic at hand--brain tanning vs tannin tanning.
>>
>>750412
How can you kill bunnies and consider yourself an /out/ist? Do you interpret Leave No Trace as splatter animal blood and take lives?
>>
>>750608
>implying .17 HMR splatters blood.
>>
>>750608
You have downs
>>
>>750603
Well, I gotta go know. I hope this thread is still up tomorrow so we can continue this discussion. Have a good day friend.
>>
>>750412
whenever the kids act up
>>
What the hell is a prion?
>>
Can you use salt AND use brain or should you just pick one thing to use?
>>
>>750758
It's like a protein in an animals brain that causes mad cow disease I think
>>
>>750595
>calls anon out for a perceived strawman fallacy
>after using ad hominem
>ad hominems again following the cry of fallacy
Holy fuck, you're bad at this. Perhaps you should lurk moar.
>>
>>750608
How can you not support making use of the entire animal and call yourself a sc/out/?
Do you interpret factory farming (or even nature itself) as being more compassionate than hunting?
>>
>>750763
Exceedingly generalized, but you're in the right ballpark.
>>750758
Google CJD. That's one instance of a disease that is transmitted by prions.
>>
>>750765
Thank you anon for defending me.
>>
fuck you I'm going to order three pounds of brain and eat them right now

this is fucking america, I can do what I want
>>
How would one get rid of the bugs that live on Rabbits? I've heard that soaking overnight in saltwater befire its skinned might help, but I don't want to risk hurting the pelt
>>
>>752527
Saltwater may help, but if not you can try the vinegar method for hides.
>>
>>751426
Make it 4 you lil' bitch

And thanks to OP for making this thread, was about to do the same.
>>
Has anyone ever tried the alum method? I talked to a fellow at a local gunshow that was selling pelts and he directed me towards trying it.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.