[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finding Water in a desert
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 24gbu2.jpg (17 KB, 335x138) Image search: [Google]
24gbu2.jpg
17 KB, 335x138
So I want to do a few hikes in the desert but I'm not sure how to sustain my water capacity throughout the trip, anyone have experience finding semi reliable water to purify/filter on a desert outing?

>>
File: glass-of-water-in-the-desert.jpg (392 KB, 740x480) Image search: [Google]
glass-of-water-in-the-desert.jpg
392 KB, 740x480
Bump, all the internet is giving me is unpractical solar collectors and digging my own well
>>
File: Micky.jpg (141 KB, 800x572) Image search: [Google]
Micky.jpg
141 KB, 800x572
>>750070
If you go bit southeast of Primm, you should be able to get some outside of town.
>>
Basically you gotta ruck it all on your back, unless you wanna dig for water but it's unlikely you'd be able to dig far enough to reach underground sources of water since its the Mojave after all.

>t. desert person
>>
File: DESERT_Tom1.jpg (980 KB, 1095x821) Image search: [Google]
DESERT_Tom1.jpg
980 KB, 1095x821
>>750086

YUUUUURRRRKKK YURRRKKK YURRK YUUUURRRRKKKKKKK!!!!!

>T. Raider
>>
Carry it all in with you. You might be able to find enough to survive. Key word survive. Not enough to be comfortable.

>t. Made that mistake
>>
>>750104
most, if not all you carry WILL be water, use STURDY, collapsible bottles/jugs, wheeled cart or something to carry those gallons of water, setup a solar distiller if you need to cook/purify your pee/water from area.

SHADE, portable(good tarps/space blankets)
COTTON(there's a reason all those Saudi's use it and silk everywhere)

Shelter from cold during the night a must

plus space blanket, when properly tied up and allowed to collect night to day dew will give you a couple cups of water depending. Better to travel during the evenings and night to stay warm, rest during the mornings and noonday sun.

Also true about waterline being too dang deep, even at dried up riverbeds. Better to distill your piss and collect moisture from the air/clean that via uv/filter, and of course HAUL IT IN/OUT.
>>
>>750114
>>750104
>>750086
Do you think that you can harvest water from a cactus?
>>
>>750070
Learn the location of springs, cache water so you don't have to carry it all the time.
>>
>>750204
Do go fucking up a cactus just so you can play pretend survival
Carry your water or go home
>>
File: africa.jpg (57 KB, 394x450) Image search: [Google]
africa.jpg
57 KB, 394x450
do what the coyotes do. look for an area that is greener than others and has greener trees and bushes and sheeeit. there may be a dried up river or lake there, look for the lowest spot and dig like 3 feet and you'll probably find water. probably.
>>
>>750224
>digging random holes in the desert
This is bad advice and fucks up the land
>>
>>750070
the whole point of it being a desert is there pretty much is none. you gotta pack it with you.

in reality you need 2L a day. you will be feeling it on the other side, but you can do it with that. if you want to pack a gallon a day go ahead, but that shit gets heavy.

i have hiked palo alto, death valley, and an epic 60 mile beach hike through padre. and we always ended up with sunburns and extra water.

nigga you ain't gonna find no water plan for that. but unless you are hanging around 2l a day should get you through a few days.
>>
>>750085
>micky.jpg from fo3
>Primm from NV
>>
>>750222
Oh, because you own all of the cactus in the desert?
You do realize that harvesting water from cacti is desert survival 101, right?
>>
>>750308
>>750114
>>750104
Any of you guys ever use llamas or carts to carry all that water? Pretty sure that's why the Sahara travelers use camels
>>
>>750456
Why are you in a survival situation?
Because you failed at planning?
>survival 101
This is not some silly TV show

Cacti grow really slow.
>>
>>750078
How about practical solar collectors. The first one not the shitty hole in the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_oys-AQ_3E
>>
File: poupon.jpg (810 KB, 2802x1008) Image search: [Google]
poupon.jpg
810 KB, 2802x1008
snow,
>>
>>750204
No.

That's some dumb Looney Tunes shit.
>>
>>750070
Make yourself a water suit.
>>
>>750070
ugh.....dehydration sucks. was hiking in AZ and we started to ration, we're never in any real danger, ended with water left over but even cutting back was a terrible experience.
>>
>>750204
Eating the inside of a cactus to 'get water'will give you the shits so fast.
>>
>>750456
No, no it's not. Cactus is super high in alkaline, you'll give yourself diarrhea or vomt everything up, and lose more water.
>>
>>750070
Mountains in the desert usually hide water. Learn to look for game trails thru the desert, animals live in the desert and need water.warm up w a more forgiving desert. Like some of the terrain outside of Moab in Utah. Hiking in desert slot canyons you'll be more likely to find water
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.