[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Birding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: birding-classic-2008-1.jpg (225 KB, 1760x796) Image search: [Google]
birding-classic-2008-1.jpg
225 KB, 1760x796
Sorry if this is wrong board. Is anybody here into birding? It's recently come to my knowledge that I live in the vicinity of some very great migratory bird sanctuaries that thousands of people flock to each spring from all over the country. I've been going to some with binoculars and really enjoy walking around and looking at all these strange birds that I've never seen around here. I can't help but notice the people who do this though, they all have fuck huge cameras and get really excited when they see certain birds. They know the names of them and everything. It looks like a great hobby, to me it seems like IRL Pokemon where you try to snap pics of rare birds. I'm thinking about getting me an entry level camera even though I don't fit in with the people that are into this hobby at all. They're all old and dress like park rangers.

Just curious if there was anybody here that does this. I guess it belongs here, if not I can take it to /p/.
>>
File: birds.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
birds.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
Pic is where I went earlier. You can't see the whole island but there were thousands of these water birds on one island going crazy.
>>
Thinking about getting into it as well. I love watching birds.
>>
>>750019
I'm getting into it but they are so different IRL from the pics. And yes, this board is appropriate. We enjoy being out and everything related
>>
>>750025
Same. I just really like birds. I feed them 3x a day in my yard and have flocks of them fly in. I love them but it's the same 4-5 types of bird every day. If I just drive a little while to one of the sanctuaries I see birds that look like ones from the zoo. One thing I've noticed is that they are very skittish compared to city birds, I guess because they never see humans. You have to be very still and quiet and they still stay far away. If you don't have a good pair of binoculars you won't be able to see anything.
>>
First find out which birds are local. Look up list of birds in your state. Try finding checklists or counts from these bird areas and other nearby nature places. Check out the allaboutbirds website to learn about what time of year species are around, how to I'd, recognize sounds and so on. I have think that website is American though so you will another resource if not murrikan. Good $100 plus binocs are good. Unsure on camera as I also see those fuckhuge telescope cameras and have no idea what they are but they probably cost an assload. I find it easy to I'd birds but sounds are often more difficult because species have so many different ones but once you start being able to I'd local birds just by sound its pretty fucking cool. Apologies if my post looks like shit I sent it from a phone and I hate phones
>>
>>750019
Check out >>>/an/ as well
>>
File: Northernmockingbird.jpg (678 KB, 1200x961) Image search: [Google]
Northernmockingbird.jpg
678 KB, 1200x961
>>
File: Troglodytes_musculus_Registro.jpg (610 KB, 1682x1280) Image search: [Google]
Troglodytes_musculus_Registro.jpg
610 KB, 1682x1280
>>
File: rsz_0428161740b_hdr.jpg (285 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
rsz_0428161740b_hdr.jpg
285 KB, 747x1328
Shot this pic of a duck earlier
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.