[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mess Kit General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 43
File: image.jpg (286 KB, 1242x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286 KB, 1242x1242
What meals do you cook while /out/? I just bought this mess kit for $6 at Walmart and I've tried cooking in it once, but it sticks like a mother-trucker. What do you guys recommend? I bent a metal fork so it fits in the kit but it's still a little hard to use. Post your mess kits, rate what you like/don't like, and show us what meals you're cooking.
>>
>>749981
When you go stainless, cooking is painless
>>
I have a german kidny pot mess kit just like the one's seen in vitruovice bushcraft videos
>>
File: Kid craft.jpg (113 KB, 1500x896) Image search: [Google]
Kid craft.jpg
113 KB, 1500x896
>>749981
I use this kids play cooking set, cost me 15$ and its all stainless,small and light.
>>
>>749981
Can't see anything wrong with your kit. 10/10. You need to learn to use it. Add oil or lard to the pan before cooking things. I use lard. Multipurpose and it wont spill unless you are in africa. Btw you should always test your gear before taking it /out/

You need to
>>
>>750001
>dem long handles
>>
>>749981
Yeah, uncoated aluminum sticks like a bitch - even with oil.
>>
I use a stainless bush pot set(2 nesting pots with a lid that fits both), got it from Walmart for like 15 bucks I think, combine that with a stainless cup and it all packs together nice, nesting in the big pot.

Only thing I changed was I put a bail handle on the big pot so it hangs easier. The whole set has the folding side handles, that comes in handy too. Made the bail with a stiff wire coat hanger, two bolts, and four nuts. I'll post pics if anyone's interested.
>>
>>750024
>I'll post pics if anyone's interested

Post em up dammit.
>>
>>750024
Yes pls. Always looking to improve my kit. BTW anyone else obsessed about their cooking kits?
>>
File: IMG_20160427_011042.jpg (2 MB, 2758x2963) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160427_011042.jpg
2 MB, 2758x2963
>>
File: IMG_20160427_011117.jpg (920 KB, 2745x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160427_011117.jpg
920 KB, 2745x1564
>>
File: IMG_20160427_011150.jpg (3 MB, 2952x4717) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160427_011150.jpg
3 MB, 2952x4717
>>
I cut the bolts down flush with a dremel, fits in the factory sack nicely.
>>
>>750033
You either propane or really take care of years ur stuff. Or both. Pretty nice set you got there anon.
>>
>>750035
Thanks, those pics are from when I bought it new, got the black bottoms going on now lol. I cook over a fire mostly.
>>
>>750031
You know, with a slightly heavier wire, you could do away with the bolts & nuts and just hang the pot from the holes you drilled.
>>
>>750174
Thought about that, but this way I can put the lid on no problem and it swings freely
>>
>>749981
you bought that whole kit for 6 bucks? who cares if it sticks dirty water is free.
>>
You need to season your staimless steel pan before using it! Heat it up to smoke and add some oil and heat it up more.... Do it outdoors cuz it smokes. Check utube vids how to do it if ur retarded
>>
File: 20160427_155439.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160427_155439.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>749981
This is my kit for solo backpacking. The plate is more of a comfort honestly. I do carry a stainless cup and spoon too. If I'm planning on frying something i have an msr flex skillet that weighs nothing. You should check it out. Non stick.
>>
>>750355
>current year
>falling for the stainless steel seasoning meme
>>
Buy a sea to summit meme cooking kit.
Anyone have one? they look like they will give you cancer/fall apart...right?
>>
File: X-Pot-by-Sea-To-Summit-1.jpg (107 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
X-Pot-by-Sea-To-Summit-1.jpg
107 KB, 960x640
>>750772
forgot the meme
>>
>>750773
wtf?
>>
File: 235854_ts.jpg (123 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
235854_ts.jpg
123 KB, 1155x1155
I snagged one of these from a surplus store near me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/2-used-serbian-military-surplus-mess-kits?a=1562324

>aluminum pot
fugg.
>>
>>750265
Just insert the bail wire through the hole form the outside and bend it on the inside. Lid still fits, bail lays down on the side, no problems.
>>
>>750372
Le wtf. My relative is chef he does to his cookware. They dont fuck with nonstick surfaces in their food so they use stainless
>>
>>750773
>made of aluminium and silicon

haha what the hell is this shit
>>
>>750773
I guess that has an aluminum bottom? It's possible to boil water in a paper cup or in a cheap plastic bottle over the fire if anyone is interested in weird things.
>>
>>750773
It's cheaper to buy titanium than one of those, and it'll be lighter to boot ! Not to mention more durable.

The only application I could see for one of these is boiling a lot of water for a group and not having to carry a bulky pot, say, when snow camping.
>>
>>750372
Steel pans are seasoned just like cast iron bro...
>>
>>751408
>only application I could see

In all honesty, the only application I can see for it is to part a fool from his money
>>
>>750773
I saw this at REI

just no
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 853x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 853x562
I use these for most siutations.
Had them for years and I can't see myself bothering to get anything else for a while.
>>
>>751523
I'm looking at getting some Dutch surplus stainless ones, do you cook in yours, or just reheat things?
>>
>>751739
I do cook in them. Most of the time I'm just reheating or boiling water though.
>>
File: trangia_master_race.png (1 MB, 1500x938) Image search: [Google]
trangia_master_race.png
1 MB, 1500x938
I have been using pic related since I was kid.
Inherited a set from my father, and its working like a charm. The full set is about 1 kg. But lighter ones are available.
>>
>>751523
My girlfriend found a pair of of these oit the front of someones house woth a buch of stuff they were throwing out. She didnt know what they were and used one as a pot for some small plants before i noticed them and pointed out what they were.
What's the best way to pack them ?
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x575) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x575
>>753168
Often I'll keep some stuff inside it to save space and then just put them next to my cooker in the main part of my pack. They dent and warp with reasonable ease so that's why I'd rather them in the main compartment as opposed to a side pocket.
I haven't bothered tying them together because there is always stuff around them.
>>
>>753160
You've been using a stock photo since you were a kid?

WoW
>>
>>753222
At least I'm not an autist that fills my pc with pictures of random stuff I own.
>>
>>753231
No, you fill your PC with other people's photos of random stuff that you WANT to own.
>>
>>753323
You fucking autist he googled trangia and saved it for that post
>>
>>753335
because he doesn't actually OWN a Trangia...
>>
File: 20160430_205225.jpg (492 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160430_205225.jpg
492 KB, 2048x1152
I got a stainless steel pot at a bargain store for $2.99. Drilled holes in the side and attached a removable hanger made from a clothes rack. Inside that I keep a bandana to strain natual teas that I make and to use to move hott items around. Then I have a small cup with butterfly handles that came from walmart. Inside that I keep all my spices, sugar, and honey.
I also have a very tiny cast iron skillet about the size of a round piece of bologna that I use a lot when back backing and frying up meat.
Besides that I have a gso cook set, but I use that with my msr pocket rocket. But I mainly just cook like the attached photo from last night.
>>
File: 20141127_202551.jpg (551 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20141127_202551.jpg
551 KB, 2048x1152
the Swedish military mess kit, stainless steel, not the aluminium one. wanted to get some updated pics of it this weekend but this will have to do

>versatile
>easy to use
>build like a tank
>heavy

but damn i love its features, i rarely carry the windscreen and burner/fuel as i just use it over a campfire mostly

the D rings on the handle on the lid/skillet are for shoving a stick through for when the metal handle gets hot

has anyone else seen another set with this feature?
>>
I use a regular frying pan and a small pot. A wooden paddle, cheap knife\spoon\fork, and a small wooden cutting board for prepping. I carry a metal plate and cup. My stove is a firetrench. My fuel is wood. I mostly eat the despair of ultralighters and drink the tears of preptards.

Fuck making cooking complicated.
>>
>>753814
What's the wooden paddle for?
>>
>>753831

Spanking /out/tists until they squeal like pigs.
>>
>>753435
You'd sound a lot more reasonable if they were rare.
>>
>>750798
I hope you like cooking kebab.
>>
>>753168
Put them inside each other both facing outwards, unlike this guy >>753175 (no offense). Inside it you can put your food, or an esbit stove containing hexi, or quite often both. If you do want to put the stove in there make sure its well wrapped in plastic to avoid your mess tins getting all nasty chemical smell.
>>
>>754110
Ah, awesome. Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (253 KB, 1242x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253 KB, 1242x1242
What's tripping me out is no one mentioning what they use for cups. Seems like everyone is packing pots and pans and cups all seperate but that seems like a lot of extra weight to lug around in a backpack or whatever. Does no one have a mess kit that collapses down with a cup included? I have this plastic cup but I'm learry of setting it down somewhere hot by mistake and it melting. Seems like adding Tang to water would be a good way to pack a light flavored drink so you don't have to just drink water.
>>
>>754110
No offense taken. In fact I might start doing it that way.

>>754892
I just use the bowl as a cup.
>>
File: image.jpg (618 KB, 2203x1783) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
618 KB, 2203x1783
>>754892
>what they use for cups

I have two of the plastic cups in your picture. They're ok but aren't really large enough. I mostly use a couple Chinese knockoff GSI type SS cups. They hold quite a bit more plus they're sized to fit my Stanley Adventure Camp pot, 40oz Klean Kanteen bottle or 1 liter Nalgene. Since they're metal, I can also use them as an additional cooking / boiling vessel.

>adding Tang to water

I use those single serving packs of Gatorade, they have plenty of sugar for energy plus the electrolytes that your body needs. Tang makes a similar product...
>>
File: ccXSLsj1_400x4001.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ccXSLsj1_400x4001.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>753516
Came to late to the party, those aren't available in stainless in germany anymore. I use an esbit titanium 750ml pot for hiking about, but have nothing for proper camping.
>>
File: WW2 SS rifleman gear.jpg (527 KB, 1700x2338) Image search: [Google]
WW2 SS rifleman gear.jpg
527 KB, 1700x2338
>>749999
Fucking quads of truth. I have a WW2 Wehrmacht mess kit I use and it is God-tier.

Acts as a double boiler, has a very nice bail-handle for hanging over a fire, and when stored in my pack also holds rice, oatmeal and tea packets inside.
>>
Here's my cooking kit:

Wal*Mart grease pot, handle replaced w/ string
Cotton bandana as pot grabber
Gatorade bottle or Nalgene cup/container x2 (can boil over a fire in a pinch)
MSR Microrocket + small canister, or one of various DIY alcohol burners depending on trip (zenstoves.com for info)
Aluminum foil wind guard
Titanium spork
Kitchen pot scraper

Whole kit costs around $20 if you skip the fancy canister stove, and you could substitute for one of the better Chinese canister stoves for cheap. Would consider it pretty top tier as far as ultralight backpacking goes -- total weight is almost nothing, everything packs inside the grease pot, and the bandana serves multiple purposes.

Can do basic cooking beyond just boiling water with the canister stove. Could probably do real cooking with a steel pot but that wouldn't be ultralight.
>>
>>756696
It's zenstoves.net
>>
>>756706
u will never look at old cans the same way ever again
>>
>>749992

Use the steel to get them feels
>>
>>753516

I have this exact set except I bought it in alu by mistake :(

You're right about it being heavy, but it is built like a tank. I think it would be good if you were cooking for a group or car camping and the weight didn't matter, but recently I replaced it with a stainless steel cup and esbit stove.

I'm looking to sell mine if anyone's interested. Will post internationally.
>>
>>754892

I don't get why people bring along extra cups just to dirty them. I always eat out of whatever I cook in, and have a stainless cup for making coffee or tea. When I'm /out/ with multiple people we both bring mess kits so I pour half of the meal into theirs and I eat my own straight out of the pot.
>>
File: 1435244102832.jpg (21 KB, 552x687) Image search: [Google]
1435244102832.jpg
21 KB, 552x687
>>758439
You need spare cups for when the old ones are dirty. Or do you think i bring a dishwasher, Einstein?
>>
>>758451

I just wash mine after I use them, Einstein. You know, with water and a clean bandana maybe trail soap if you've got some.
>>
>>750001

From Ikea?
>>
File: red-solo-cup.jpg (646 KB, 1654x2112) Image search: [Google]
red-solo-cup.jpg
646 KB, 1654x2112
>>754892
>use for cups
I thought it went without saying (pic related)
Lightweight so we can carry a bunch, entertaining playing pong, disposable.
In other words, perfect.
>>
Got a Stanley Adventure kit in the mail.
>>751478
Carbon steel is seasoned.
Stainless steel is not.
>>
>>758451

What do you use the old ones for? Shitting in? You know you're supposed to find geocaches for that.
>>
>>749981
I use the GSI Soloist mess kit, a Sea to Summit AlphaLite long spoon, and a Snow Peak stove. Love my setup at the moment.
>>
>>750001
excellent idea
Thanks based anon
>>
>>758574
Into the trash they go. When the plastic bag is full i close it with a knot and hurl it in a ditch or something, thus getting rid of it once and for all.
>>
>>759155
>GSI soloist
This thing looks nice but
>no fucking skillet
>>
>>749981
Can anyone show me a kit like this thats not made of shitty aluminum? The design looks godtier aside from what it's made of.

>Im 100% I used this kit when I was a kid in boy scouts. I wished it wasnt crappy aluminum at the time too.
>>
File: trangia-27-1-ul.jpg (38 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
trangia-27-1-ul.jpg
38 KB, 800x800
I've always wandered,

TRANGIA stoves are like the de-facto camping equipment up here in scandinavia. You can buy a basic aluminium set including all accessories needed for ~40 eur (about 55 USD on current ex rates).

People here on /out/ seem to be talking about trangia stoves like they are some sort of luxury item. Are they really that expensive/appreciated over there in the states?
>>
File: 61kSj1EmVVL._SL1200_.jpg (82 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
61kSj1EmVVL._SL1200_.jpg
82 KB, 1200x1200
>>759759
Been looking for the same sorta thing; steel pot and lid/ frying pan. the best i could find is a Heilkon Mess Tin. Only thing is seems like you'd have to carry round an extra pot gripper.
>Pic related
>>
>>759770
TRANGIA are great but last time i used my brothers, it was a pain to clean the aluminium after frying. Non-stick just isn't an option for me either, I just end up scratching all the coating off. Here in the UK i know a lot of people doing DoE use them aswell as the scouts.
>>
>>759751
why the fuck would you bring a skillet in the woods? for it to cook effectively it would have to be thick, steel, and heavy.

why are so many people cooking with steel and packing multiple pound cooking setups? do you guys only car camp? am i the only hiker in this thread or something?

Sorry but if your entire mess kit (sans fuel) is over a pound its junk for /innawoods/
>>
>>759842
I'll take extra weight if it means I dont have to deal with shitty aluminum.

>muh ultralight

Some of us have muscle.
>>
>>759858
wait so this isn't some sort of ironic joke, you really bring the pots and pans from mom's house with you when you hike? yikes.

why's everything in this thread so high volume too? you guys know your pot doesn't need to be over 1 liter unless you're boiling snow or cooking for like 6 people, right?
>>
>>759872
No I dont you absolutely dense retard, thats why I want a messkit with a little skillet like in OP but not made of shitty aluminum.
>>
its like baby's first camp kitchen: the thread
>>
>>759878
what stove do you cook with? you're aware you can't do real frying with a hiking stove unless your skillet's like 2lbs and thick as fuck right? i don't care if you're UL or not, packing a frying pan that weighs half as much as a tent isn't a smart move. if it weighs any less, it's going to burn everything it touches wasting your food. not good in a survival situation. there's a reason experienced, seasoned hikers cook with Ti or Al pots. Even a thin steel pot is acceptable for mountaineering and shit where you'd be worried about falling over and bending up the pot while it's in your pack. But no one who knows wtf they're doing is hiking with a skillet bro.
>>
pic related is my kit. Been using it for years now. No idea what the name is, it was sale at go outdoors. frying pan has no external coating unlike the rest of it so it blackened pretty much the instant I started using it. Use the internal frying pan as a plate and the smallest pan as a bowl. Usually just whittle down some chopsticks and a spatula instead of packing them. Spare stash of tea for if my main lot runs out. Protip; wrap the tea towel around the 2nd to larger pan and then one set of corners inside it and one set of corners outside the middle pan to completely eliminate rattling. Pot grippers are for people who don't carry a spool of piano wire.
>>
>>759883
ffs Im not talking about a real, REAL skillet, Im talking about the skillet thats in the OP photo mess kit.

It has a pot and a skillet so I can choose either or

What the fuck man.
>>
File: open, closed.jpg (4 MB, 3264x4504) Image search: [Google]
open, closed.jpg
4 MB, 3264x4504
>>759885
fuck's sake I'm a retard
>>
if you REALLY must though, the REI brand frying pan is actually pretty decent, i bring it on day hikes sometimes if i feel like sitting down and frying up some eggs and shit. i ballast my pack with extra weight to train usually anyway so it doesn't matter. it would be worthless without a high end canister stove though, cheap ones and alcohol stoves don't give enough temperature control to fry. thing would be a joke to bring backpacking, it's a toy not a survival tool.
>>
>>759883
Msr flex lite skillet. Stfu.
>>
>>759887
no i get what you're trying to say. but those "lid skillets" are too thin and light to effectively fry food off of a hiking stove without burning it every time.

the problem is, you're thinking in theory. i'm posting about what works in practice, i've actually gone and tried these things.

hiking stoves have poor temp control and hot spots. even the highest end ones you can get. you need a really thick skillet to actually fry things, which means it's going to weigh a lot. I was searching for the same holy grail as you at one point before I realized skillets are dumb.

a thin skillet is worthless because it's going to burn everything it touches and you won't be able to do any real frying. you'll burn food and waste it+fuel, which is a really bad thing if you're ever in a survival situation and frustrating if you're not.

really the way to go for serious hikes, is give up on real cooking and just do those boil in a bag meals. or nocook. that's why real hikers use al/ti pots and jetboils, they're only using them to boil water.

this is all from a backpacker perspective, TOTALLY different story for car camping, dayhiking, etc.
>>
>>759892
i had one. good on paper, but LOL good luck frying anything on a thin 7 ounce aluminum pan. total gimmick piece of kit, glad i got it somewhere i could return it.

under 2lbs, or capable of frying. pick one.
>>
>>759901
>pan has to be 2 lbs to fry
u wot m8.
In a lot of professional kitchens they use cheap shitty aluminum pans.
You don't need cast iron to fry food.
>>
>>759901
Then you have shit abilities. No, you can't throw it in a fire but it works amazing on a stove.
>>
>>759906
>>759913
a professional kitchen use heat sources with a high degree of temperature control
this is a thread about cooking with alcohol burners and canister stoves outdoors in the wind
u really know this little about cooking or thermodynamics?
>>
>>759913
I could season a steak with all the salt in this thread.
>>
Is jetboil a badass product? Seems like all you need in a backpacking situation.

Would the pot or large cup shape be best option? I see they also have their own skillet if someone wanted that.
>>
>>759924
i'm not into them, but they're very popular among backpackers for a reason. if you want to painlessly and efficiently boil water for use with bag meals, jetboil is king.

canister+screen+pot can be a little more weight/fuel efficient with the right kit, and also more versatile/adaptable. i personally go this road because I have the option to bring an alcohol stove instead of a canister if fuel availability will be an issue, and so I can adapt more easily between cooking solo and for groups. But it's a lot more finnicky and a pain in the ass to use, I wouldn't lie if I weren't jealous of the simplicity of the jetboils at times.

as far as wide vs tall goes

"Wider pots tend to maximize heat from camp stoves compared to narrower pots. Narrower pots may be easier to balance on narrow stoves, such as sideburner alcohol stoves.

Short pots may be more stable than tall ones. Tall pots may be able to maximize more of the heat from a stove if a tight windscreen is used. Taller pots are also able to store taller windscreens more easily. Tall narrow pots will benefit from a tight cone shaped windscreen."
>>
>>759919
>high degree of temperature control
Confirmed for never using a gas top home stove.
The only temp control is how fast it heats up, but it'll continue to get hotter and hotter.
You literally have no idea about cooking shit.
>>
>>759938

I'm talking about the spacial concentration of the heat and the conductivity of the pan you dweeb.

anyone who's ever used a hiking stove knows that they concentrate heat into one or two points around the center. cook with a ti pot and you'll literally see discoloration at the points where it hot spots.

without a thick pan to disperse this heat, you get a very unevenly heated cooking surface, not conditions ideal for frying.

a gas cooktop spreads the heat out in a wider area, so the thermal conductivity of the pan's importance is alleviated.

a thin Al pan is very conductive, but there isn't a lot of material so it will heat up very quickly. another thing any real backpacker knows, is that there are only maybe 1 or 2 canister stoves on the market that can control fuel output well enough to get low enough to not instantly burn anything that touches your thin Al pan. and even then, you're fucked if there's wind. I own one of the only canister stoves that can simmer, and it's not even very good at it.

like do you even backpack? how do you not know this already? have you never talked to other backpackers and asked why they use certain kits? cuz there's a reason most real hikers are using jetboils, nocook, and shit these days.
>>
>>759955
Which stove do you have?
>>
>>759966
was talking about the MSR Microrocket, i have a bunch of canister stoves but it's p much as good as it gets with simmering.
>>
File: P224394_0.jpg (93 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
P224394_0.jpg
93 KB, 800x800
>>759955
not who you replied to but, surely a stove like in pic would be more suitable for frying; larger dispersal of heat on the base, and with a gas stove, a lower amount of gas burnt surely means a lower heat? sounds ideal for frying to me.
>>
>>759972
It does work wel for frying.
>>
File: microrocket_simmer.jpg (122 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
microrocket_simmer.jpg
122 KB, 800x450
>>759972
correct in theory, not in practice
most stoves like this, the caldera, etc with a wide surface area can't be turned down very low. if you could get a small flame to be dispersed that widely it would be great, but i haven't seen a stove that can do it yet. and wind becomes a big issue even with a guard.
these stoves are designed for boiling water in a pot and doing very basic cooking.
>>
>>759778
czech army messkit at varusteleka.com

it works like a charm
>>
>>759751
>>759842
Depending on the trip, I'll bring along extra things, like a skillet. If I'm gonna be doing more than a few day backpacking trip, I shake it down to the basics, which I listed. This weekend I was only out for 3 days, and wanted to test a new brand of trail food (PackIt Gourmet, fucking delicious -- I recommend it highly) I brought along the pan and some stuff from the GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Camper cookset. It all depends on what you're intending to use your mess kit for.
>>
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-Steel-Mess-Kit-1-Pan-1-Saucepan-1-Plate/22845840

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Mess-Kit-Black-Granite/10927646?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=10927646&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=0d600043-c6b5-4732-9eac-f0ebc59173cc&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=22845840&parent_anchor_item_id=22845840&guid=1090d669-d6d7-48b2-b300-6b109cced66b&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

How does the top one look family?
>stainless
>copper bottom for heat dist.
>7x4x7 inch size

I think I will cop it. How is the food stickyness on stainless steel? How do you guys like to wipe up your kits deep inna? simple rag and water?
>>
>>760089
Everything is going to stick unless you use some sort of fat in 99% of cookware. Both of those sets look great btw.

I use rendered fat in my pan (stainless steel), and I only need to wipe it with some tp or paper towell.

Most of the problems with cooking sets are caused by fuckers that don't use their kits before hand. They don't know them before hand, so they go inna and fuck their own shit up by being stupid assuming the best. Just test your kit at home and you'll know what to expect.
>>
>>760094
Sorry for stupid question but how do you just "use fat" do you carry it around or cook bacon first and save the fat? I really have no idea.

Is there rendered fat or lard (or of course butter) you can buy at the grocery store? I am shit at cooking and unaware of this stuff.
>>
>>760097
I used google. I feel fucking retarded.

T-thanks anyway
>>
>>760097
There is no stupid question, just stupid answers m8

The advantage of rendered fat is that it remains solid at moderate and cold temps, so you just put it in a container without worrying about it making a mess in your pack, unlike oil.

This is just an example that I quickly googled for you. There's tons of videos in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QieI4Xnr7uY
>>
>>760097
You can use mayo as a cooking oil/fat. It sounds weird, but as soon as it hits the pan its liquid and doesn't really taste funny. When I get fast food I snag a few packets to take with me innawoods.
>>
>>760101
Thats a pretty cool video but Id rather go buy a small brick of lard at the store than go buy pig fat, bring it home, simmer it for 5 hours, and get a mason jar's worth.
>>
>>760124
Whatever works for you bro. Enjoy your lack of cracklings and omega 3 charged fat.
>>
>>760127
How would the lard be so different?
>>
>>760150
As long as is not hydrogenated you're good.
>>
>>760155
I love the taste of hydrogen
>>
>>759955
plz relax m8
ive used a steel frypan 2+ weeks inawoods and fryin haybros on the shit is cash
>>
I'm thinking of just getting a 1.1 L stainless steel pot for my boiling, cooking, tea, and frying. Good idea or bad?
>>
>>760097
Bong here, I carry a tin of suet, the patricians choice of rendered fat. Its beef kidney fat, properly rendered it lasts as long as you want at temps up to low thirties. It fries well and adds a nice flavour to food cooked in it.
>>
>>759709

>posting a picture of shit

quite apropos of this conversation, really
>>
>>750798
The same kit I have. That pot sticks like crazy when cooking eggs.
>>
>>760433
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>750001
I think I know what you do with the plastic carrot. Lol.

Faggot.
>>
>>749981

I use cast iron pan, because it can be placed right in the fire and will never take damage from such. Though I do bring gloves with me, got fireproof welding gloves from amazon that cost £3 and make cooking with it so much easier, handle gets very hot during use.

Unfortunately it was used in the home once and put in the dishwasher after, now its covered in rust.
How to remove?
>>
File: diagram.gif (5 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
diagram.gif
5 KB, 500x300
>>760717
Do it the electrolytic way if you want the rust completely gone.
>>
>>760717
Soak it in apple cider vinegar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F4TNqsK8Ck
>>
>>759924
Jetboil is for melting snow and making hot water for mountain house pouches, that's it basically.
>>
>>760097
You can also bring a 2oz bottle of olive oil
>>
>>760202
I use a a pot for boiling water only, a cup to drink coffee or whatever, and a small pan to cook, fry eggs, etc. I eat from the pan directly, it doubles as my dish.
Use a simple little pan for frying. It can double as a plate.
>>
>>760503

>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>760097
I use a fruitjuice bottle for olive oil (made from PET). Had cocos fat before, tastes like nothing. Had duckfat before, strong smell.

>>760101
On 4chan are stupid qiestions.

>>760103
Brotip. Will try.
>>
File: IMG_20160510_131840.jpg (226 KB, 1067x1162) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160510_131840.jpg
226 KB, 1067x1162
Gonna buy this sumbitch as soon as I get the chance. Whole thing weighs 11.2 OZ and it's all nonstick.
>>
>>761545
That looks like a cheap chink kit. They are advertised as non stick but they have a very thin coating. So brace for disappointment. I know coz I own one. I know that is chink because of the rice bowls and the rice spatula right there
>>
>>761554
Well what would you suggest then? I lost my BSA mess kit so I gotta get a new one.
>>
>>761561
I'm not stopping you from buying it. I'm telling you to be realistic and don't hope for magic solutions. As I said earlier in this thread, you'll need some sort of fat if you are thinking about frying eggs or even reheating beans, that's all. If that kit it's cheap and suits your needs, go for it. I have a similar 2 person version of it that I bring when car camping. It's perfect. But it's not nonstick and I don't care about it not being nonstick

So if you find a similar one in plain aluminum (that's what they are made of btw) or stainless steel that is cheaper, get it instead of the coated one. At least you wont be eating coating scraps when that thing starts to peel away after the third use.
>>
>>761554
>>761576
DESU its one of the most common kits on amazon, with a ton of reviews.
Almost went for it myself, but I got the Stanley Adventure instead.
>>
File: IMG_20160510_200313.jpg (197 KB, 1077x1178) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160510_200313.jpg
197 KB, 1077x1178
Would this one be okay?
>>
>>761714
Yep, the stanley adventure is pretty sweet. But if you are on a tight budget and are really strugling to save a couple bucks, the chik kit is absolutelly perfect for one person (I remember the chink kit being the cheapest thing there was)

>>761884
Yes. Add a cup of some sort so you don't end up eating noodles with your coffee.
>inb4 you are planning to clean it
After the third day you wont give a single fuck if you are drinking tea from the pot you ate bacon the night before.
>>
>>761554
>cheap chink shit

literally 90% of mess kits. And thats fine for what they are
>>
>>761884
No, avoid round bottoms, they suck if your pot is full. Also, cheap chink shit.

Get a Toacs (or Esbit, they are sold under many labels) 750 ml titanium pot and a large fold-a-cup cup. The titanium pot fits in the cup, not wasting space. I have a selfmade pot stand, a trangia alcohol stove, a spork (titanium because it will outlast you), a cotton handkerchief, a bic lighter, a tinybottle with alcohol and a small knife (Opinel 7 fits) in the pot.
>>
>>762344
Pot stand pic pls?
>>
>>761904
Usually the two are about the same price, with the Stanley just being a little bit less.
First mess kit and so far happy I got it. Mostly just gonna be boiling water/making coffee/making some noodles or something
>>
File: 20160511_105543.jpg (164 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
20160511_105543.jpg
164 KB, 1024x576
Thinking about selling my West German kit and using these steel containers. Torn though, while they are pretty conventional and on top of that have a gasket that would allow me to soak rice or beans before setting up camp I don't think it'll hold up to fire. and the latches add bulk and sharp corners to my pack I'm not a fan of. Also I'm not even sure I'd do that becasue it would mean having to carry like 3 or 4 pounds of water for like 3 hours.

>>750798
>buying into the aluminum kills meme
>>
>>759770
They are about that same price here, just that many users here are either very frugal and DIY or have a different style of camping (has the ultralight fad hit Europe yet?) so anything but gucci titanium doesn't figure into their packs.
>>
File: 1462304009595.jpg (297 KB, 1110x684) Image search: [Google]
1462304009595.jpg
297 KB, 1110x684
>>760221
>tfw no source of suet in the US that won't rape me on price
Ghee's nice, I guess...
>>
>>762473
...why do you have a baby bottle on your desk?
>>
>>762344
>No, avoid round bottoms, they suck if your pot is full
It depends on what you are using as a pot stand or stove.
>>
>>762473
Nah m8 keep it.
>>
>>762507
I'm new to /out/, is there a particular reason why? It's rather heavy and I don't really use the canteen. Also cooking in the cup is kind of annoying
>>
>>762535
Because you are starting. You never know when it will be usefull for you. I sold my grandfather's trangia when I was starting because I was only using a canister stove that my dad bought for me. Now that I know what I use or need, ended up buying one last year.

Unless you can get serious money for it from a collector or something, not worth it.
>>
>>762542
Okay, just used to be in a pretty bad place with hoarding and now have a policy of dumping things I don't use. Bought it on a whim on a garage sale for 10 bucks and did some research to see if I could flip it but it's not particularly collectable apparently.
>>
>>762550
Yeah we are all a little bit of hoarders here. You'll come to that sweet point of equilibrium. But things that are practical, in good shape and can serve their function well should always have a spot. You can even build a sort of bob and use the kit for that. It will be mostly stationary as a just in case item.
>>
>>762424
Cant upload now, but there is another thread called "rate my camp", i made it, there are large pics. I'll make a proper thread about it soon.
>>
>>762504
Give an example where a round bottom makes sense.
>>
>>762784
yer mum
>>
>>762777
oh you the german that triggered the board by using the word "camp"? is it the windscreen with the couple of tent pegs or wires?
>>
>>762784
a wok.
>>
>>762486
if there is a butcher in your area you could ask them for kidney fat and render it yourself.
>>
File: ChwBzNmUoAIF32e.jpg (50 KB, 600x359) Image search: [Google]
ChwBzNmUoAIF32e.jpg
50 KB, 600x359
>>762799
Right, 5 euro windscreen from dx.com, the smallest. It has 10 elements, you need 5 or 6. Cat a few cm from the top, its aluminium sheeting, easy to cut. Get tw 3 or 4mm tent pegs, the kind you get with the cheapest tent. Make holes in the sheets where it makes sense, insert pegs, done. Use the last of your sheets as a door. Use the original wirepins to pin your stand into soft ground.

Yeah, the word camp got them all to throw a fit. Murricans.
>>762813
>>
>>760103
It's basically just eggs and oil, so yeah, I can understand why it works. I've heard that a lot, but have yet to actually try it.
>>
>>760851
Distilled vinegar is cheaper in the states.

>>761159
>>>/bbq/
>>
>>762966
that would require paying out my ass and the only 'butchers' in my area are just grocery meat cutters that don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>764671
There's no loss in asking them anyway. They most get their meat from somewhere. Report back if you find out something spooky
>>
>>764695
I live in a small state and most everything is imported from other, larger states. Suppose I could check out other ethnic markets or something or just find a butcher and bulk buy like 100 pounds of raw suet to render.
>>
File: Photo on 5-13-16 at 5.43 PM.jpg (193 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 5-13-16 at 5.43 PM.jpg
193 KB, 1080x720
>>749981
Yeah I had one of those kits, and really the main virtue of it is that because it's cheap, you don't really care if you fuck it up and because it's aluminum it doesn't weigh a whole lot. I have this Czech army mess kit that I bought for $10 off of American Science and Surplus (see pic) it's built like a truck (or as much like a truck as aluminum can be). I can abuse it and it doesn't weigh too much. I love cast iron but that shit is heavy. As far as cleanup for aluminum, all you can do is oil it up and hope for the best and after cooking you can scrub it with gravel or sand (again, only do this because it's shitty).
>>
>>750773
That looks like a really good idea, especially for larger pots.
>>
File: Trangia.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Trangia.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
>>753160
This I have a Trangia Model 27 in non-stick, one of the best purchases I've made. Especially since I bought for $40.

>>759770
Yes they retail $160NZD

>>759709
>littering
>>
>>764854
Wait until you see it in person
Its a floppy disgusting rubber nightmare
>>
File: 5018-752_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg (31 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
5018-752_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg
31 KB, 720x720
I'm looking to get a new pot as I'm tired of borrowing my friend's. I'm going to mostly use it to cook ramen noodles. Which one looks good?

Primus LITECH Trek Kettle Pot
http://www.mec.ca/product/5018-752/primus-litech-trek-kettle-pot

GSI Halulite 1.1L boiler
https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/gear-by-activity/camp-hike/camp-kitchen/pots-pans/product/gsi-halulite-11l-boiler-331562989.html

$20 Amazon set
https://www.amazon.ca/HeroNeo®-Outdoor-Camping-Cookware-Backpacking/dp/B00F6K91YA
>>
>>765038
> alu crap
Get yourself a toacs 750ml titanium pot, they are sold in different labels, esbit, alpkit, toacs, bit come from the same place. Light, robust, the last pot you ever buy. I have all my cooking stuff inside it, very compact and nice.

Perfect for ramen or pasta in general. My best recipe is rice, dried vegetables, soy flakes and olive oil. Into the pot with water, wait 15 minutes, enjoy a rich soup. Also nice for just a cup of joe.

A cat stove is perfect for it, i use a trangia burner. If you consider the weight, the projected lifetime and the compactness, the price isn't that bad.
>>
>>765123
Eh. I prefer the even heating and easy cleaning of HA aluminum.
>>
>>765038
Out of that list, get the one on amazon. You get a pot to boil water and a frying pan to cook your food. There's nothing wrong with aluminum btw.

>>765123
You are right about durability, but is just a pot and not a set. It's good for day hikes but for overnight camps or more you'll need at least another pot.
>>
>>749981
What do you guys think about a US canteen cup? stainless steel, fits on the canteen. Thinking about getting one, it's for about 8$ and it would solve most of my problems
>>
>>765465
The stainless steel cups are pretty good, the aluminum ones - not so much
>>
>>765469
Thought as much, that's why I went for a stainless steel one with butterfly handles. My 99% use for this cup is just
>get oatmeal powder
>go to school hot-water source
>pour water
>eat in class

Seriously, I don't go /out/ that much, I just want to have something close at hand that can fit on my water bottle.
>>
>>753175
I have those in thick steel from the Dutch Army - it's great they don't have the bad taste of aluminium like the german ones
>>
File: image_10.jpg (123 KB, 500x542) Image search: [Google]
image_10.jpg
123 KB, 500x542
>>765202
Even heatin of aluminium? You never used either it seems.

>>765231
I agree, nothing wrong with aluminium. However, nothing at all.

I used that pot for four years now, longest trip was 5 weeks Harz mountains in germany. Granted, its bottom is black and can not be cleaned, but it still works.

Btw, if you are on a month long trip you most likely don't have time or energy for elaborate meals, a single pot and cup will do.

>>765472
Seems like aperfect fit then. Get two, in case one is lost.
>>
>>765472
> not eating oatmeal with cold milk
> not adding some cherry or strawberry jam
> not enriching it with vanilla extract

I almost sounds like you want to eat bland tasting food.
>>
>>765513
If something goes to my pack, I don't lose it that often. Also, it'll be in a canteen cover, under my canteen. However, I'll get two.

>>765516
>carrying milk around anywhere
>not using superior-for-the-purpose dry milk powder
>not using dried berries to get premium taste
>>
>>765513
Yes, HARD ANODIZED Aluminum heats evening. It's no cast iron of course but it's better than uncoated aluminum and titanium.
>>
File: gumption.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gumption.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>>765513
>its bottom is black and can not be cleaned

See pic related. It's specifically designed to clean cookware and similar surfaces. It's fucking amazing; it cleans shit off when you think it's got no chance.

I'm surprised that it's not on amazon. It's an Aussie product but you can probably get it shipped to where you are.
>>
>>765836
Is it better than baking soda or bentonite clay cat litter and soap?
>>
>>765857

Yes. This is god-tier stuff. I've been meaning to clean my mess kit so I'll post a couple of before / after photos soon
>>
>>765875
What is the consistency like? What's in it?
>>
File: 1 before.jpg (970 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
1 before.jpg
970 KB, 1333x2000
>>765878

It's like a thick paste that foams up when you're using it. No idea what's in it, it doesn't say on the packaging.

So here's the before shot of the aluminium pot from my Swedish mess kit. Blacker than Satan's taint.
>>
File: 2 during.jpg (1 MB, 2667x4000) Image search: [Google]
2 during.jpg
1 MB, 2667x4000
About a minute in. Only using a soft cloth and gumption
>>
File: 3 big guns.jpg (454 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
3 big guns.jpg
454 KB, 1500x2000
The shit on there was so thick I decided to use a kitchen sponge. Never had to do that before, which tells you how bad this was
>>
File: 4 finito.jpg (1 MB, 2667x4000) Image search: [Google]
4 finito.jpg
1 MB, 2667x4000
In the end I got it to be almost as good as new. I could have gotten a better result but I didn't feel like breaking out the toothbrush. In total this took less than 5 minutes.
>>
>>765908
That's actually pretty great, cant find it in the states...
>look up MSDS to try and maybe replicate
>Non hazardous ingredients: Secret
>Other ingrediants: water
Even on your legal documents you aussies are fucking with everyone.
>>
>>765912

Kek

I can find out a price to ship it to you if you want
>>
>>765914
Nah, I'm good thanks though, some washing and baking soda sorts me out most times. Coating it in soap beforehand helps a bit too.
>>
>>765518
The second one for friends, which will come if you have food and they do not. I suspect they laugh at you first, oatmeal is considered peasent tier. But they will come, mark my words. Milk is not a problem for you, just get small packs at the supermarket and bring one every day to school.

I bring powdered milk to the trail, mainly for my coffee.

Oatmeal with only water is not a thing in germany.

>>765782
Anodized aluminium heats exactly like non anodized aluminium. Try it instead of just believing the marketing. And hard
anodized is just anodized with a marketing word. In practice it will make no difference if you have aluminium, anodized aluminium or titanium in terms of heat transport.

>>765908
Wow, i need that stuff! Thanks for the pics, m7.
>>
>>765912
Use Comet/Ajax powder.
Closest thing to IRL Abraxo.
>>
>>766033
Have Ajax (looks like a milky liquid in my case), it worked!
>>
>>766031
>oatmeal is considered peasent tier
Where is that and what would you care? Squat and oats 4life breh
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Cif-Cream-Lemon-Fresh-500ml/dp/B00HHVN37W

Its a micro granular paste. Works on the craziest of shit
>>
File: _20160515_151152.jpg (578 KB, 2724x1410) Image search: [Google]
_20160515_151152.jpg
578 KB, 2724x1410
My new kit just came in. The weather is shitty this weekend so I didn't get to take it out..
>>
>>750028
>>750030
>>750031
Eyyyy Walmart $9 stainless set bro.
I have the same set. Large, but simple and honestly you can't beat it at that price.

Protip, load it upside down in the bag provided. Instead of the drawstring at the same side as the lid, place it towards the bottom. Not only is it easier to get the set in and out, but it helps quiet the lid rattle.
>>
>>766572
Part of that is obviouslly used. Can you clarify what are the contents of the new kit?
>>
>>766719
I tested the stove I can do that at home. I didn't think Titanium needed any kind of burn in for the cookwear.
Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.