[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just about to go on my first big solo hike through the west Australian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: fert.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
fert.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
Just about to go on my first big solo hike through the west Australian outback and i'm looking for a solid pair of hiking shoes to break in before i leave. Any suggestions?
>>
File: tmp_6285-h23202-56_1-579614441.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6285-h23202-56_1-579614441.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
How much are you willing to spend?
When it comes to boots im a huge sissy faggot girl. I have a pair of hanwags. There around 250 - 350 cnd. Tho the pair i have lasted forever (2 years going on 3 with 1 year of daily use) . Good quality boot.
>>
Go to the shops in the afternoon and try as many on as possible.
Wear what socks you intend to wear with them.

We don't know how weird your feet are so any suggestion is pointless.
>>
>>749996
>We don't know how weird your feet are
>>
Personally started hiking in trail runners. Got some Merrel all out peaks. Fucking great shoe. So comfuly. I didn't have to break them in.
>>
Just a test.

Also try on some Meindl's, really great manufacturer for boots, mostly leather, so a bit heavier but worth it.
>>
>>750000
That dude must swim like a dolphin
>>
>>749891
For boots, get what fits, comfortable, long lasting. Sometimes you end up with a compromise. Keen shoes and boots are the only things that fit me, for example. Comfortable as fuck but I burn through them pretty fast, however. Most important thing is socks. No cotton. Ever. When I figured this out years ago I stopped getting blisters, etc. Only use hiking-specific wool/synthetic style socks. Throw all your cotton socks in the trash.
>>
>>750135
probably walks like one too
>>
File: large_96_590_detail.png (258 KB, 480x520) Image search: [Google]
large_96_590_detail.png
258 KB, 480x520
Are military surplus boots like pic related any good for long hikes?
>>
>>750533
Not really. Military boots are too stiff to be really comfortable, they're bastards about giving blisters aplenty. That being said, I have a pair of Marine Corps boots that I've been using as hiking boots for the last 2 years and they're great for me since I value durability and protection over comfort. If you're willing to deal with quite a few initial blisters like a man until you break them in and get use to them, and don't expect them to be the most comfortable footwear, they're actually pretty great.
>>
>>750549
Also, to clarify, they're not uncomfortable in the "My feet hurt after a while" sense, quite the opposite, actually. They're just uncomfortable in a "My feet are trapped in rugged, tight leather" Kind of way
>>
>>749891

I suggest that you take along a fat bag of band aids in multiple sizes. If you start to feel friction anywhere, slap on some cushioning.
>>
>>749891
>boots
You're far better off just with a pair of runners or some sneaker type shoes like salomon XA 3D. combined that with a pair of gaiters to stop snakes and grass and you're far better off than in boots.
>>
>>750816
I try not to use bandaids for blisters. They tent to bunch up and cause hot spots too. Same with thicker tape. If i feel a hot spot coming on I normally put a blister patch on and on areas I am prone to getting them I use a thinner elastic type tape that moves with my skin.
>>
>>749891
just wear thongs
>>
File: 20140529_070526_Richtone(HDR).jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20140529_070526_Richtone(HDR).jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>749891

OP do yourself a favour and go to mountain designs, buy a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GTX and a couple of pairs of thick merino wool socks.

I say this after spending the past three years hiking through the Pilbara carrying geophysics equipment and never getting a single blister.
>>
>>753250

Further to this, if you choose a different boot it absolutely has to be full leather. I would strongly recommend against getting any leather/fabric combo boot like >>750533.

If you go anywhere near spinifex grass (which is basically everywhere in WA) you will have a terrible time. The needles go straight through fabric on a boot. You'd be surprised.
>>
Whereabouts in WA might be a little helpful?
>>
>>753185
do not do this on long hikes, the skin between your toes is there for a reason
>>
I own Planika mangart boots they cost 150 eur but i don't think you can get them outside a few countries in Europe and they tend to be quite tall even their low top boots are tall. But a good type of boot is a decent Chelsea boot, they're slip on and are plenty comfortable but aren't great for hiking through brush or rocks since theyre more of a desert boot and the leather is thin so they will get super scratched up on rocky terrain or undergrowth
>>
>>750533
Older ones, but the modern ones will leave your ankles like the OP.
>>
clark desert boot are te best hiking boot ever made. mine are black suade.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Adidas gsg 9.2 tactical boots are super comfortable
>>
>>750485
>Only use hiking-specific wool/synthetic style socks
do you have links for what you buy?
>>
>>754981
Darn tough. Fucking dank socks with a lifetime warranty.
>>
>>749891
where are you heading OP?
i'm frequently between perth, bunbury and broome and looking for good places to go /out/
>>
File: hehhehheh.png (109 KB, 266x189) Image search: [Google]
hehhehheh.png
109 KB, 266x189
>>750485
Check out Teva, they have a huge toebox as well.
>>
>>749891
You'd be surprised but this is the most comfortable footwear for hikes I've worn my entire life! I recommend them for long hikes, they're Christian Louboutin ankle booties.
>>
>>750495
kek
>>
>>750533
>good for long hikes
They'll get the job done, but there are far superior options. Military boots are more of a "jack of all trades" boot, so while you CAN hike for miles in them, a good pair of sandals would be equally or more comfortable during the summer. Personally I'd rather hike in a boot that is closer to my ankle than my calf.
>>
>>753185
>>753287
Yeah crocs or sandals are way better.
>>
>>750485
>Most important thing is socks.
Darn tough are the BEST socks I've EVER worn and worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.