[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ how can I optimize sawyer's mini usage? I mean i don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: P1050641.jpg (520 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
P1050641.jpg
520 KB, 2560x1920
/out/ how can I optimize sawyer's mini usage? I mean i don't lile to drink directly from the filter so I always do pic related, the problem is it takes a while and it takes a couple times to fill my 1.5l water bottle because sawyer's water bag it's a shit to fill. Does anyone knows some tips to take maximum performance from it?
>>
File: thistriggerstherobot.gif (934 KB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
thistriggerstherobot.gif
934 KB, 250x167
While hiking keep a catheter inserted into your penis and use the pouch as a fill bag, this way you can fill it directly while hiking and not waste time. Just like astronauts!
>>
>>749239
Apparently the platypus bags fit on the sawyer.
>>
>>749239
How much will the Sawyer bag hold?
>>
>>749255
>shitposting
this is /out/, your board is here >>>/b/

>>749259
I will take a look at them, thanks anon,

>>749290
Mine is 16 oz but I can't use the total amount because it really sucks to fill.
>>
I dip water using a cup with pantyhose as a prefilfer, and use that to fill a Sawyer bag. Then I squeeze.it into another bag. I have three of the bags so I keep two clean and use the third for unfiltered water. I'm hoping to find a more durable bag for squeezing because I assume I'll wreck the Sawyer bags but they have held up so far.
>>
I base camp, so I made a gravity setup with a wide mouth platypus hydration bag.
>>
>>749239
>Sawyer

How do these compare to lifestraw? I like that lifestraw has the new steel version but they're huge and I kind of want one that fits in my pocket.
>>
>>749239
Why are you worried about time? Are you in a race? You're /out/, you should have plenty of time to fill up the bag as many times as you need to.

Buy one of the larger 64oz bags if you haven't already.
>>
Doesn't the sawyer fit on a plastic water bottle? If so then I'd just use a big arrowhead bottle to fill or something of that nature. I've also read that the normal sawyer has a much better flow rate than the mini.
>>
>>749351
>Why are you worried about time? Are you in a race?
If you backpack, and like to move a significant distance everyday, time is important
>>
File: 0219162335a.jpg (813 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
0219162335a.jpg
813 KB, 2048x1350
>>749239
I bought a cheap Zefal bladder from Wal-Mart and cut all but a couple inches off the tube and attached the Sawyer directly to it. The wide opening allows me to fill it quickly, and when I need to refill my camelbak, I just remove the bite valve and connect it as an inline/gravity feed filter. Cleaning is as simple as squeezing the camelbak to back flow a few tablespoons of water.

Don't forget to sleep with it in your bag when it's below freezing at night!
>>
File: 0221161157.jpg (777 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
0221161157.jpg
777 KB, 2048x1350
>>749437
The crease lines in the first pic are so it can be rolled up like so. The orange stuff is duct tape. I swear they must have made Sawyers duct tape sized on purpose.
>>
>>749437
>>749440
Is that a knitted comforter?
Looks nice
>>
>>749446
Crocheted actually, but thanks! My mother made it. Being raised in a family that believes you shouldn't buy things that you can make or fix yourself has really translated well to /out/ skills. I make a lot of my own gear as a result.
>>
>>749239
I upgraded to the sawyer squeeze and I've never looked back. I can get about 2 liters in 5 minutes or so. Definitely worth the couple extra ounces and $$$
>>
>>749437
>Cleaning is as simple as squeezing the camelbak

That's actually not 100% effective. When using the syringe to clean the filter, you should press really hard so as to produce a lot of pressure and flow. Squeezing the camelbak to produce the same results is impossible without potentially rupturing the bladder.
>>
>>749506
That's about what I get from the mini, using it in-line, a feature that the squeeze lacks. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but rather that they're just both used for different purposes. Each person should evaluate how they intend on using it.
>>
>>749515
I've been using it for a few years now, and the flow seems to be just as good as the day I bought it. It might technically be better to use the syringe, but the extra space and weight seems like a waste for clearing it in the field. I do clean it well when I get back from trips, so that probably contributes.
>>
>>749299
to be fair 90% of /out/ is shitposting by casuals
>>
>>749373
There was a youtube series by crystal weaver where they just used "smart water" bottles on an AT thru hike. They did replace then in town every so often though.
>>
>>749522
To each their own, I actually keep the syringe to flush wounds becasue I tend to fall down a lot.
>>
>>749840
I'm thinking about getting some empty smart water bottles to use with my sawyer on hiking trips. My friend's mom drinks that shit all the time so I'll just ask her to rinse a few out after she's done with them and save them for me.
>>
>>749346

Lifestraw is a shit. It's yuge and you can't use the base model as a gravity filter, you have to buy the $200 kit if you want that. Just get a sawyer.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.