[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I might plan a trip to Greenland for next year to hike from village
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: east-greenland-023.jpg (4 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
east-greenland-023.jpg
4 MB, 3000x2000
I might plan a trip to Greenland for next year to hike from village to village. However, I don't know anything about this country. Anyone has had any travel experiences in Greenland? How was it? Share the stories if you will.

Everything Greenland related is welcomed
>>
>>749221
It isn't as green as Iceland.
>>
>>749221
I lived in Nuuk from 1995 to 1999 (moved from there the day i turned 5), but I remember how it was and know general things about the country. So if you have any more specific questions, I can try to answer them.
>>
>>749321
Where do you live now? Denmark?
>>
>>749221
In for stories. I want to spend a few months wandering Scandinavia
>>
>>749221
>I MIGHT plan a trip for anywhere from 8 to 20 months time
yeah you're not going
>>
>>749321

>Nuuk

Heh
>>
>>750040
OP here. Not months, but probably a month.

>>749321
Thanks, hooe youre still around. Wondering about cold, when its 21 hours light/dark. Can you travel alone without guide? Any hospitality in the villages? What would you really need for greenland compared to any other outdoor activity. That kind of stuff. When would you recommend to go if you just wanna ttavel?
>>
>>751560
Why don't you just find a guided tour? Would be a lot easier and you'd probably see more too.
>>
>>749353
Yes

>>751560
Im still here, I'll try to type some stuff up for you later today when I have the time.
>>
>>751560
First off I should say my memories of that time is pretty much limited to impressions having only been 1-5 years old. But I remember hiking and camping a lot when we lived there.
One of my parents friends planned camping/hunting/fishing trips we would go on with 10 to 20 other people.

I don't know if anything like that is available for tourists, but it might be worth looking into. Even if you dont want a guide (which does sound a bit lame imho), you are gonna have to find someone who can sail you around. Hiking between villages is not really an option as they are few and far between. Also most of the villages are on smaller islands or divided by fjords emanating from the ice sheet. The only ways to get around is by boat or helicopter pretty much.

Many of the villages will have hostels for people like yourself to stay in I think. I know I've stayed in a few of them.

I really don't know what you can expect going there as a tourist, but I imagine it will be something like sailing from Nuuk to villages and then hiking in the area and maybe staying in the hostels. But you should probably research your travelling possibilites as Im really just guessing here.

>When would you recommend to go if you just wanna travel?
In the summer definitely, july/august. (Im going there myself this summer)

Sorry if my answers has been a little vague and messy, but im very tired as i type this. I'll check back in tomorrow.
>>
File: 20141011_140333.jpg (1 MB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
20141011_140333.jpg
1 MB, 1224x1632
>>752035
no worries, highly appreciate your remarks and time.
A couple of days on trail from village to village wouldn't work? It's probably pretty daft, but on googlemaps it shows a couple of villages on the west coast which seem like 20-50km away from each other? Thanks for the advice on taking a sailboat or heli. Would you think we're able to hike from place to place? Obviously with tent and supplies etc.

>>751641
Perhaps. I was thinking of taking a 360 camera to 'record' the way so doing a trail would seem more interesting.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.