[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, anyone know of places to camp in Michigan? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: MichiganMitte.png (22 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
MichiganMitte.png
22 KB, 600x550
Hey guys, anyone know of places to camp in Michigan? I've googled of course but most places appear to get a lot of campers, and I'm looking for something a bit more...secluded?

Sorry if this is a little open ended, or broad. Even if you guys know of some places outside of Michigan but still in the surrounding states. Most of my friends are shut ins so they're of little help.
>>
File: 1174640595167.jpg (65 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
1174640595167.jpg
65 KB, 450x675
How secluded you want and how far do you want to drive? Where do you live? Pigeon River area is about as secluded as it gets in the Lower Peninsula. Huron Manistee National Forest is pretty good too, I spend a lot of time there. I don't know how you can't find something in Michigan, it's a paradise for camping. The whole UP is practically a campground
>>
>>749078
the DNR has a map of parks and campgrounds

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/#map-tab
>>
>>749078
Well, if you want secluded, what could be better than an island in a lake on an island that's a national park in a lake? You'd probably need an amphibious vehicle to get there.

48.009659,-88.770508
>>
File: 1270384798873.png (975 KB, 600x725) Image search: [Google]
1270384798873.png
975 KB, 600x725
>>749785
Op, did you bum this? If so, give us an idea of where you are driving from and how far you want to travel. Can give you good advice
>>
File: WINTER_CAMPING 062.jpg (5 MB, 4608x3072) Image search: [Google]
WINTER_CAMPING 062.jpg
5 MB, 4608x3072
for Lower P, check out huron manistee national forest. dispersed camping rules in most places are really simple and straightforward...most places you don't need a permit or a pass or anything, a parking pass at the least. My buddies and I went to the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area recently and didn't pay a cent to camp there other than for gas and food. that place is dope, dunes and duneponds and wildlife and whatnot. we camped on the dunes and it was fucking dope. only downside was that sand got everywhere, into everything, anakin skywalker style.

tldr go to google maps, look for green colored areas, see what forest it's in, check out satellite view to get an idea of what the land is going to be like, check out the website of whatever forest it is. have fun op
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>750244
mmmmm hello big boy

This fag is right. I'm one of his faggot friends and we camp at national forests a lot. We've done the Huron, manistee, and Hiawatha. All unique and worth checking out. As he said, them being free is a great perk and dispersed camping is the way to go. We went winter camping up in the Hiawatha this past winter and spent our days driving around to waterfalls and hiking the pictured rocks. 10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>749078
Have you been to Isle Royale?

I haven't been, but its on my list.
>>
Check rest stops along the interstate if youre traveling around the state, more than a few are right on the edge of thick woods. Makes for perfect camping, and most people are such sperglords they wont go anywhere at a rest stop besides the bathroom.
>>
>>750914
you're trolling right? Why would you do this when there are actual forests you can camp in for free?
>>
File: FH010002.jpg (723 KB, 1800x1215) Image search: [Google]
FH010002.jpg
723 KB, 1800x1215
>>750908
Have been twice. It is incredible.
>Scenery 10/10
>Fishing 10/10
>Seclusion 10/10

Take a yak or canoe with you. Pic related
>>
>>750927
Because theres a rest stop with plenty of woods right next to me and the NF is three more hours away? Because im hanging out in south haven and theres a perfectly wooded rest stop 5 mins from town, when all other nearby sites cost money?
You never camp in the woods anon? Its a great time. All the better because fags like you immediately write rest stops off, proving my point.
>>
>>750929
would you go alone?

when camping in the park, did you encounter any of the wolves that live there?
>>
>>750947
lol whatever man. Enjoy your rest stop camping you fucking werido.
>>
File: FH020015.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1215) Image search: [Google]
FH020015.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1215
>>750956
No. There are only like 3 wolves thee right now so its very rare for anyone to ever seen them. I heard them howling one night my first time going but that was it. The island has been important to biologists for a very long time because of the contained nature of the single predator single prey system that has been there. This study has basically fallen apart in recent years as the wolves have stopped reproducing (lack of genetic diversity) and the population has crashed. Check out the documentary "Predator / Prey: The Fight for Isle Royale Wolves" to hear the whole story and the debate on whether new wolves should be introduced or not.

I would definitely do a backpacking trip alone there someday. I've spent a total of 25 days on the island and haven't seen a single moose which I attribute to always being in a group (and traveling mostly by water). My dad went there alone in the 70s and he said he was constantly walking up on moose while he was hiking. They are very skiddish and it would be difficult to keep a group quite enough to see them.
>>
>>750966
nice.

I was trying to convince a few of my friends to go for a week, but the seclusion scares them off.

I am all about it. I thought there were lots of wolves, but if not, then I really have no reason not to go.

I am headed up this summer then.

Thanks!
>>
>>750974
Nice! you will not be disappointment.

Even when the wolf population was at its peak, they never bothered humans and were only rarely ever seen. They have plenty of moose to eat and have no interest in what humans may have to offer.

Even though its a longer boat ride, take the Ranger III out of Houghton. Nothing makes you feel like you've left society like a 5 hour boat ride through lake superior.
>>
>>750958
I do, stay out reeeeee
>>
>>750980
>5 hour boat ride

I'll bring a book
>>
File: DeLorme maps.jpg (26 KB, 300x396) Image search: [Google]
DeLorme maps.jpg
26 KB, 300x396
>>749078
>Hey guys, anyone know of places to camp in Michigan?
>>
>>751058
Stop being a sperg lord. This type of thread is what this message bord is for. A personal recommendation and specific details about various spots beats anything you could find in a guide like you pic.
>>
Didn't want to make a whole thread since I am new here.

I have gone camping a few times, a couple of trips to northern MN near Ely in Bearhead State Park for 10 days with all necessary supplies including a tent, tarps, food etc. On another hike we went with just a couple knives and some rope/tarp and slept out in the open for a couple days..

We never had a problem but my group of friends are all splitting up to different colleges so I am planning on going alone on several trips (as often as possjble) throughout the summer..

Are there any good semi-secluded places to camp in central MN? Also any tips or warnings on going alone? I was planning on getting a sattelite distress transmitter, but is there anything else I should know? Money isn't an issue so paid spots are welcome, and I know I will mostly just need to go and find the places I like but as I said I am a beginner. Thanks in advance, I didn't see a stupid questions thread or anything.
>>
If you want to see some beautiful shit then find something close to any of these.

http://www.mifalls.com/waterfall-map.html
>>
File: Upper Peninsula.png (20 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
Upper Peninsula.png
20 KB, 600x550
It's absolutely beautiful in most of the red area you can camp almost anywhere and there're not too many people
>>
I roofed every building in the sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore, somewhere by honor mi would be nice, either near the dunes or one of the many inland lakes along the west coast. Or somewhere like fletchers pond forget the exact city north of alpena i belive.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.