[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ Fishing Set-ups
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 14
File: canoe setup.png (2 MB, 1080x807) Image search: [Google]
canoe setup.png
2 MB, 1080x807
Let's see what you fish from. Pic related is mine.
>>
File: IMG_0712.jpg (1 MB, 2245x1627) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0712.jpg
1 MB, 2245x1627
>>748931
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 960x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 960x650
>>748931
That wooden gear rack in the middle of your 147 is pretty nifty...

Pic related is my fishing rig - it's very stable, you can fish standing up, walk around in it and haul plenty of gear for camping.
>>
>>749094
its so niggerrigged. I love it. bet you get stared a lot in that thing by faggots with $20,000 bass boats.
>>
>>749096
That's not that bad. On Sunday I was at this local lake, and there were 2 nigs fishing from this crazy ass contraption. Shoulda taken a pic. It was some 8' by 4' floating platform of metal, totally flat, and had 2 lawn chairs sitting on top with a trolling motor. Whatever it was, it wasn't a boat.
>>
>>749094

Sweet. How fast do you get it going?
>>
File: nocanoe4u.png (2 MB, 1089x611) Image search: [Google]
nocanoe4u.png
2 MB, 1089x611
>>748931
don't judge my poor man sled
>>
File: 23452345.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
23452345.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>748931
>>749094
those trolling motors are nice, thinking of getting one for my canoe, how fast do you get going? is it reliable? do you use it as your primary source of thrust?
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 1927x639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 1927x639
>>749800
>those trolling motors are nice

Mine isn't a trolling motor, it's a 1.2 hp outboard. Using the motor is really fast compared to paddling, dunno exactly how many mph. It has really expanded our boundaries on how far we can go in search of fish or new camping spots. Two years ago we were about 6 or 7 miles from the boat ramp when a thunderstorm popped up. We tried to outrun the storm but hit a submerged log and broke the shear pin on the propeller. Ended up having to drop anchor and ride out the storm then paddle all the way back to our truck - in the dark...
>>
>>749862
I have a 2.5hp electric "not trolling motor" loaded with 2 people in an aluminum john boat. it does about 7mph in perfect conditions. so I'd say about 7mph. or 6 knots. imo. its still better then paddling.

as far as my swag ride. I've got a conical... I can't take pictures cause I got no camera right now, maybe next week ill get some pictures. I really wanna put a trolling motor on it. paddling sucks.
>>
File: 1461721471821.jpg (356 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
1461721471821.jpg
356 KB, 1536x1536
My 3 year project is coming along. $2000 into everything.
>>
>>749956
please tell me that $2,000 was buying tools needed to work on it..

also those camo covered seats. the fish are sure as hell not gonna see you now!
>>
>>749958

Roughly $2000 bought a 16 foot aluminum, all welded boat, 25 hp outboard, trailer, wiring, seats, carpet, trolling motor, etc.

Boats are also used for duck hunting, did you know? Plus the seats were $30 a piece so... why not?
>>
>>749956
Looks legit, always mirin /out/+/diy/

What do you have left to do?

One of my neighbors has a boat like that that is rigged for duck hunting but it hasn't moved in the couple years I've lived here

Might make him an offer on it
>>
>>749956

Very nice, what motor are you running?
>>
>>749956
The pic on the right is fucking photoshopped lololol
>>
I just bought a 12 aluminum boat with a 6hp evinrude, trolling motor, battery and trailer for $700. I cannot wait to get that sum'bitches on the water. Also I'll probably put a floor in it.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (5 KB, 236x156) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
5 KB, 236x156
Stay jelly guys.
>>
File: Bow Fishing Boat.jpg (33 KB, 720x342) Image search: [Google]
Bow Fishing Boat.jpg
33 KB, 720x342
>>
File: dasboot_tomales.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
dasboot_tomales.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
14 feet. Too scared to take it into the ocean even on a calm day, but does the local lakes and bays fine. Currently have a Honda 10 HP 4-stroke, electric troller, and a 7.5 2-stroke that I'm perpetually rebuilding (currently puking fuel out the exhaust).

Any of you guys make the center seats in these type of boats flip up on hinges to store stuff underneath? I'd have to rip out all the flotation foam in there. But hell, if I manage to flip it I deserve to sink it, amirite?
>>
>>751217
That's a great boat, I've always wanted to find one for sale cheap. Have you tried rowing it?
>>
>>751246
Thanks.

No, it never had any oar locks for dual oars, too wide to switch back and forth with a single oar for any long distance.

I'd imagine it would row pretty easily though. Very little of it sits in the water even when loaded up.
>>
>>751250
You can get a set of oar locks to fit your built in sockets for less than 10 bucks on Amazon. As wide as the beam on your boat is, you'll need 8 ft. oars and that will run you about 25 dollars each. You could use them as a back up for your motor or even as your main propulsion. I set up my canoe for rowing, it's great, very fast & efficient plus it's a lot of fun.

http://youtu.be/_Giz_kTngKk
>>
File: IMG_20160429_151200648.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_151200648.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
My setup, though i don't normally have this many rods with me
>>
>>751313
Would be more interested if my right shoulder wasn't messed up, but good looking out.
>>
>>752207
Might help, my back and right shoulder are shit and I grimace getting off the couch but can kayak for hours with no issues and feel great after.
>>
File: muhboat1111.jpg (172 KB, 976x687) Image search: [Google]
muhboat1111.jpg
172 KB, 976x687
Got a 54lbs trolling motor for it too.
>>
>>749956
Nice mate, I was at one point considering doing something like that to >>752908
>>
>>752908

How do you like that sonar, Piranha Max 197c?
>>
>>754051
seconding this question im looking to get one for my kayak
>>
File: big thing.jpg (667 KB, 1034x1599) Image search: [Google]
big thing.jpg
667 KB, 1034x1599
>>754244

I like mine, it's a good starter sonar unit. Easy to use, has the basic functions. There are two models, the 197c with basic sonar and the 197c "DI" that has the sonar mode and a "down imaging" mode. Basically DI is a finely detailed mode of imaging, but such a narrow coverage area that I don't even use it. I have at times been picking up lots of fish on sonar but if I switch to DI they rarely show, because the cone is too narrow. The 197c sells for $100, the DI for $150, I'd go with the 197c without DI.

Mounting the screen and the transducer can take creativity. I put my transducer on my trolling motor with a kit from Minn Kota or Humminbird. Attaching to the hull would involve drilling holes and epoxying. Some people rig swinging arm mounts that dip into the water.

A possible issue for a kayak is the accuracy and definition depends somewhat on a stable vessel. If you're paddling or getting rocked around by waves then the sonar cone is waving around below you and the coverage isn't consistent. These sonars also depend on your boat to be moving along 2-4 mph for the images on the screen to represent that 2D cross-sectional map we all know of.

The sonar itself is decent for the price, just know you won't see everything below you. The widest coverage cone is 28 degrees, which means in 20 foot of water the diameter at the bottom of the cone is ~10feet, barely a circle as wide as the length of a kayak. The cone is obviously narrower higher up, so 10' down it is only 5' wide. You pass lots of fish laterally only a few feet away and not see them on sonar, you have to get lucky. The DI cone is less than 1/2 the diameter of the sonar cone so you can see why it's useless. For me a FF is helpful finding weeds, baitfish, zooplankton, etc not fish you're after. You will know when an area is either completely dead or teaming with fish, anything in between is less certain.

Sometimes it's just fun to see what is down there, no clue what pic related was.
>>
>>754883
thanks nigga think i could also use it in the winter as aj ice fishing transducer ?
>>
>>754883
wonder if i could find a wider coverage cone, since i mostly fish shallower waters
>>
>>755126
>thanks nigga think i could also use it in the winter as aj ice fishing transducer ?

I've thought about that myself, might try next year. It would be a little clunky but it might be helpful, you would have to drill a lot of holes to use it for locating. This pic is with the boat stationary and the bait dropping straight down showing as the diagonal line. The flat line near the bottom is a fish sitting still.
>>
>>755296
>>
>>751246

I've got a similar setup, 15ft home-built fiberglass semi-V, I normally have a 15 hp yamaha, although I also have oars (and friends) as a back up which work reasonably well.
>>
>>755298

Might I ask, how heavy of a line are you using there? I've never been able to get my fishfinder to pick up any lines other than my anchor.
>>
>>758221
>Might I ask, how heavy of a line are you using there? I've never been able to get my fishfinder to pick up any lines other than my anchor.

That's not a line...that is the lure itself. That pic is with the boat at a standstill and the charting still moving.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.