[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you done your part in the fight against invasive species,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: garlic_mustard_flowering[1].jpg (180 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
garlic_mustard_flowering[1].jpg
180 KB, 800x600
Have you done your part in the fight against invasive species, /out/?

I spent all day Saturday removing Garlic Mustard from 43 acres of woodland.

Be sure to get it soon! It comes up early, another week or so and it'll be hidden by the native species.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>748811
Do you do anything with it as far as food or flavoring?

I thought I read that some anon likes to eat it, but after reading the wikipedia article, it doesn't sound like people eat the plant on its own. Plus what the article said made it sound like the mature and flowering plants aren't really good for flavoring.
>>
>>748825

Just feed it to pigs. It's pretty worthless.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>748835
Reminds me, I really want to go boar hunting one day. With an M60 or something ridiculous. Chop em down.

Have you tried any recipes or even nibbled on the young garlic mustard? Does it seem appetizing at all?
>>
>>748858

Interestingly despite having both garlic and mustard in it's name, it mostly tastes like onion grass.
>>
>>748811
Oh, that's invasive? Well I suppose I'll just pull it up and make vegetable ash given they pop up everywhere near me.

I have an intense hate of rosa multiflora. I'm thinking up just getting glycophostphate and then burning everything after. I fucking hate hte damn things so fucking much and the neighbors make it worse by complaining I'm getting rid of cover.
>>
>>748811
Yes. My research focuses on modelling their distributions.
>>
>>748811
>Garlic mustard

That motherfucker is the bane of my raspberry patch. It came to my yard in a load of black soil I had delivered and I've been fighting a war ever since.
>>
>>748835
>>748860
Here was the anon who says he eats it
>>745894
>>
>>748811

We cut up some rose sprouts coming into the yard. Gotta keep that shit at bay or else it spreads really fast. It's hard as fuck to stay on top of because people plant shit in their yards and it becomes the source of all the invasives you find everywhere else.

I've done real invasives work in the past and it feels like you're in 'Nam or something. You just wade through dense undergrowth and hose everything down with defoliant.
>>
I ripped up all the english ivy in my garden earlier this year. Shit still manages to pop up in places if I don't rip out all the root systems. I have it contained for now but if I let it be for a few weeks it will take over and kill all mah cool plants :(
>>
File: main_1200[1].jpg (112 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
main_1200[1].jpg
112 KB, 1200x798
I've fantasized about cutting swathes through swarms of starlings with a 12ga before. Not like it would make much of a difference, but I do so hate those birds. Never done it because I don't own land or a 12ga.
>>
I've tried to kill the kudzu on my propert but it's literally impossible to kill. The Piedmont of Georgia is covered in it. Chinese privet is almost as bad as it clogs up the forest understory shading anything else trying to grow but I've chopped most it down.
>>
>>748825
The more mature plants are fine, they're just a tad stronger.
It's a pretty good replacement for garlic in any recipe.
>>
I shoot every coyote I ever see

Pest animal so no season and no bag limit

Can I feed them to pigs?
>>
File: 1375545256502.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1375545256502.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
FUCKING REALLY

WHAT THE FUCK DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT

LEAVE NO TRACE
E
A
V
E

N
O

T
R
A
C
E
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>749475
Getting rid of invaisive species is the next step beyond "Leave No Trace". It's like refusing to pick up a plastic bag you walk past innawoods because you want to leave nature just how you found it.
>>
Yes.

Plus it upset the bushcrafters when I remove their sacred silver birch. Fags.
>>
>>749475

Friend, invasive species take over an area and actually change things like the soil composition so that native life can no longer thrive.

Further, it usually gets a foothold because someone has left a trace. Think of it more as undoing damage.
>>
>>749475
You might have mild down syndrome.
>>
>>748811
My dad and I are gonna go fishing for snakeheads really soon.

>>749275
I used to live down in Georgia, too. There's fucking nothing that can be done about kudzu short of firebombing the entire state.

>>749551
Silver birch is invasive?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.