[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/-approved companies...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 16
File: coleman_logo-300x100.jpg (12 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
coleman_logo-300x100.jpg
12 KB, 300x100
Outside of Coleman, Morakniv and Opinel has /out/ come to an agreement in terms companies putting out good products for the price? I'm looking to buy my first set of camping gear and am trying to find companies that put out decent ( or better ) products for the price and would love to see which companies approved by /out/.
>>
>coleman
fudd tier
>Morakniv and Opinel
sperg tier
Agreement my ass
>>
File: CoghlansStand.jpg (50 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
CoghlansStand.jpg
50 KB, 560x373
Coghlan's bro. Pull up a chair and indulge in the great wonder that is everyting outdoors from the good people at Coghlan's!
>>
>>748582
There's no such thing as /out/ approved anything, everybody has different favorites and ways of doing things.

Find the things that you like and fit your needs.
>>
Osprey makes good backpacks, and big agnes makes good sleeping bags. You'll survive without any of the big name brands though
>>
>>748585
Coleman varies depending on what you're buying. Lanterns and stoves are good, but they have some budget stuff that's not going to hold up to repeated use.
>>
I have an REI tent I'm pretty happy with. Might be a little pricey but last time I went camping we had some pretty heavy rain and I was the only one dry, so worth it in my opinion.
>>
Archwood makes a quality product.
>>
LL Bean. I once ripped my tent and they replaced it no problem. I also have some sweet boots from them.
>>
>>748582
Shakespeare
Dont care if most of their reels are shit (though I have a catera I love dearly)
They make ugly stiks. Ugly stiks are the best rods you can get without spending over $100.
>>
File: patagonia-logo.jpg (1 MB, 2051x813) Image search: [Google]
patagonia-logo.jpg
1 MB, 2051x813
>>
coleman is literally mass-produced shit-tier wal-mart gear

the only reason anybody buys it is because it's inexpensive
but it's inexpensive because it's crap
>>
>>749050
yeah, and its a great value
what else are you gonna buy? coghlans?
>>
>>749037
>Ugly stiks are the best rods you can get without spending over $100.

I'm still using a boron - graphite Ugly Stik that I purchased in 1980
>>
>>749064
for some car camping gear (lantern, propane range, etc) i have some coleman gear
It's fine for gear where you're never more than 10 feet from the car and a 30 min drive from the store, so you don't have to care about reliability, durability, weight, etc
I also only buy it when i'm low on cash, as their gear only lasts 1-2 seasons, which, in the end, makes it just as expensive as good gear, except with lower functionality.

>coghlans
why do you seem to imply that the only options for gear are coghlans and coleman?
surely you don't believe that dichotomy exists?
>>
Axes go for Gransfor
Knives go for Esee or Ka-Bar happy with both
Packs and such go for Max Expedition
Cooking sets I got a military grade one so I can't tell the name sorry
>>
>>749091
>Axes go for Gransfor
he fell for the meme
>>
File: poor.jpg (631 KB, 2048x1393) Image search: [Google]
poor.jpg
631 KB, 2048x1393
>>748582
Filson
Patagonia
Schnees
Canada Goose
Holland and Holland
>>
Coleman shit I still use
>Classic stove (pic) bought in the 90s.
Great for car camping, but apparently the newer ones suck
>Coleman stainless steel cook set
A gift in the 80s. I've cooked thousands of meals with it, and even take it backpacking
>Coleman tent
Bought with S&H greenstamps in the 80s. Use it car camping in the desert where weight and water resistance are not a problem
>>
Black Diamond, Tasmanian Tiger
>>
Almost forgot Leatherman and LEDLenser
>>
File: cascadedesigns_large.png (36 KB, 469x175) Image search: [Google]
cascadedesigns_large.png
36 KB, 469x175
>>
File: cascade_designs.gif (9 KB, 366x127) Image search: [Google]
cascade_designs.gif
9 KB, 366x127
>>749180
>>
>>749140
>Canada Goose
Spotted the Japanese tourist who wandered out of the Empress on a rainy day
>>
Do you want shills to post? that's the way to do it.
>>
>>749181
I looked into this a while back, cascade designs is actually thermarest and not some conglomerate parent company, all the daughter brands are in good hands imo. Not that it matters a whole that much anyway but Columbia and mountain hardware are owned by the same parent company. Arc teryx is owned by a conglomerate too. Most outdoor brands aren't independently owned anymore
>>
>>748589

Exactly. You'll be judged no matter what you buy.

>welcome to/out, OP
>>
>>748585
Feather 442 is fucking bomb proof you dork.
>>
>>748585
>Opinel
>Sperg
It's a traditional tool here. Everyone and their mother has one. Get rekt amerifag.
>>
>>749034
I have a LL bean commando sweater. 100% wool. Got it used on the ebay for like twenty bucks and it's my favorite. They also make cozy bedding.
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>752477
>used on the ebay
it's against ebay's terms of service to buy or sell used clothing
>>
>>752481
Policy overview

Used clothing (except underwear) can be listed on eBay with restrictions. The item must be properly cleaned and the listing must clearly state that the item is used. eBay strictly prohibits the sale of used clothing listed with inappropriate images or content.
>>
File: 1462020964688.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1462020964688.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>752487
>>
I like snugpak and snowpeak.
>>
Wut is the verdict in Columbia? I got some $230 Columbia raincoat as a gift and I'm wondering if it is /out/ approved.

If not, I will just drop it in the Goodwill box.
>>
>>752522
I know you're a fisherminn peps. can't tell if trawlin'
>>
>>752522
Columbia is shit, don't even bother donating it.
>>
File: gyllene.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gyllene.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>not using Swedish gear exclusively

>Boots
Jörnkängan

>Pants
Fjällräven

>T-shirt, woolly
Milsurp

>Jacket
Fjällräven

>Storm kitchen
Trangia

>Backpack
Haglöfs

>Axe
Gränsfors

>Knife
Fjällräven
>>
>>749166
Have the same stove. Bought it at Service Merchandise many, many moons ago.
>>
>>752678
oh god service merchandise. that place was ahead of its time with the converyer belt stockroom setup. i bought my first hammy there in the late 90s, shortly before they went dicks-up
>>
>>752547
>>Knife
>Fjällräven

wot
>>
My gear trunk is a weird mix of high-end, mall tier, gas station impulse tier and even a little milsurp.

Pretty sure it would make /out/'s head asplode.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 225x225
>>748582
>>
>>752771
Oops
*Fällkniven
>>
>>748582

I would recommend that you do what I did, OP. Go and get your core items for fairly cheap, and then upgrade piece by piece as you know what you like / want / what are good brands / what features you need.

The cheap gear will last you until you make a decision on something better and it will tide you over for the time being while you do some practice /out trips.

Far better than buying a bunch of expensive stuff only to find out that you don't like it or it doesn't suit your needs. And that way you won't feel bad about throwing away the stuff you originally bought and won't get pissed off if / when it breaks.
>>
>>749091
>>749095

I agree with >>753203 that you start cheap and work your way up. Gransfor Bruks is idiotic for a first axe.

If you go for a cheaper axe, be advised that while the Marbles camp axe got good reviews, in the last few months the amazon reviews are filled with complaints about the handles being badly made. Once wranglestar gave it a good review, they sold out and apparently fucked up quality control in an effort to ramp up production.

But yeah in general you start with cheap shit that costs 20% of what the memegear runs for but does 80% of the job. When you fuck up while learning, it's no big deal. Then you upgrade to stuff once you know personally what's good and what's good for the way you do things. It's a lot like dating, actually.
>>
stanley's got some pretty good schidt imo
>>
>>752547
>That flag
>That vegetarian faggot
At least you didn't post bbc
>>
>>754730

There's literally 5 images of the memepot in that pic
>>
File: 8561980.jpg (17 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
8561980.jpg
17 KB, 500x327
>>754828
well it's potpular
>>
>>754718
>It's a lot like dating, actually.

kek

>fuck the fat ones until you get good
>>
>>754736
How do you measure up against him then?

He is tall even by Swedish standards, a giant by American standards.
>>
>>752547
>Fire steels and useless camp equipment
Light my Fire
Also for Axes you have Hultafors, Wettrelings, Husqvarna all of which are all cheaper and same quality except the Husqvarna has an overly thick hanlde (not an issue) and a less than perfect edge geometry (not a problem if you know what you're doing)
>>
>>752795
I would never wear a down jacket because the material on the outside tends to be weak and will break down in thorns and i prefer a waterproof jacket with minimal insulation so i can layer and you can wear it just about year round. That and i'm too cheap of a person to spend $600+ on a jacket i would wear in the woods that would probably get destroyed when a good milsurp or a good company like memeraven will work great. Wear down jackets for the city or places with minimal thorns where it's super cold (barren lands for example)
>>
>>755021
>Hultafors, Wettrelings, Husqvarna
>all of which are all cheaper
Same price here

Husqvarna mass exports though, so they're probably cheaper in your country
>>
>>755026
I saw on most European websites that Hultafors and Husqvarna are fairly inexpensive but wetterlings tends to be only a bit cheaper than gränsfors.
>>
File: 140530_Cabelas.jpg (56 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
140530_Cabelas.jpg
56 KB, 400x300
>>
>>755150

Fuck man you yanks have no idea how good you have it insofar as retail goes. Everything's so fucking cheap.

Everything else about your country might be fucked, but at least you can get a decent tarp for under $100
>>
File: Sitka.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sitka.jpg
197 KB, 1024x768
>>749091
Don't you mean Maxpedition?
I have a few items of that brand and they are very good quality. I really like their stuff.

My favourite brands are:
Patagonia
Maxpedition
Icebreaker (merino wool is god tier)
Esee
Fallkniven
Fjallraven
Mil surp

These are not cheap brands, but they make good quality products for a reasonable price IMO
Except the mil surp offcourse. Dirt cheap and and usable.
>>
>>755154
Not as well as you might think. I went to a Dicks, Academy, and bass pro over the weekend and backpacking stuff wasn't easy to find. You could find your basic poly tarps for cheap but a one or two man shelter options weren't to be found. I was looking for a large dry bag and none of them had any. Not to mention if you are a tall skinny guy you won't find shit in your size either.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.