[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
doggy friend + living in car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1422860615762.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1422860615762.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
So, I have been traveling a bit in my shit suv. Saying I am lonely would be an understatement. Now, I hate people, so the best possible option would be to get a doggy companion for my travels and trips.

I do not really care what kind of dog it is, probs not too big because there is not much suv room. But, how happy can a dog be in that situation? Moving around all the time and occasionally sleeping in a slightly cramped car?

I really do love dogs, and I am sure a companion would make me a little happier. But is it an okay thing to do? Take an animal from a shelter and have it live in a ford escape with me? Would be out most of the time, but still... I also sleep for like 10-12 hours everyday, can easily change that tho.

I am not sure.
>>
>>747812
Get a fucking job and an apartment or something, then get a dog.
>>
>>747812
Shelters won't adopt out a dog unless you can provide a home address.
>>
I would say as long as it isn't a large breed it should be fine. Stick to smaller breeds.

Also keep in mind while it will help with loneliness it will also help motivate you to be more active. Depression has a tendency to make people unmotivated and want to sleep a lot and with a dog you will have a reason to see to something else needs besides your own.

And finally while it may not be the ideal home setting for a small dog it's a damn sight better than sitting in a shelter awaiting it's fate.
>>
>>747840
Some smaller breeds can actually do worse in a cramped living space because of their energy levels.

OP would want a dog with a mellow temperament and mid-low energy levels regardless of size.

Also he'd have to lie out his ass because no reputable shelter or rescue operation would adopt a dog to someone living out of there car because of the high risk of said dog winding up right back in a shelter in the future.
>>
>>747833
no fu

I also have enough money for a long time

>>747837
I thought about this, I have a legal address sitting around that I can use... I am not going to lie to them tho about my living situation.

>>747840
I want a dog to help with depression mainly.

>>747845
Yeah, I want to amke sure it will work because the last thing I want to do is come back to the shelter begging for forgiveness.

Really, I just want the dog to be happy. If I adopt a dog and notice it is not happy with me, I would have to take it back. If the dog is happy, but is making me miserable or the dog is extremely difficult, I would stay with the dog and make it work out. Difficult in the sense of being a misbehaviorer.
>>
>>747853
If you're going to be honest about your living situation (and you should), they won't give you a dog. They take that mind of thing seriously.

Can I suggest an alternative, OP? Instead of adopting your own dog, volunteer with a shelter or rescue organization to help care for and socialize their dogs.

All things considered it would probably be better for you and the dog in the long run.
>>
As a person that also lives out of their car, I dont think this is a good idea. Sure you can make it work, but it just seems like a pita.

Most importantly. A dog is not a fucking tool! Its a companion. Stop being a pice of shit.
>>
>>747859
your option seems like the best alternative. i can easily call ahead and ask to volunteer.

it is kind of selfish of me to want to take a dog away from a potentially better life.

i go hiking daily, so doggy might be having a blast, but i can see scenarios where my friend gets sad.

>>747874
i do not think it is a good plan either.

at no point did i describe a dog as a tool, only a friend and companion.

i am more concerned with the dogs well being than my own.
>>
>Really I just want the dog to be happy

>If the dog is happy, but is making me miserable or the dog is extremely difficult, I would stay with the dog and make it work out.

Living situation aside, this is why you should not get a dog. This is a shitty justification for any relationship, be it with a person or a dog.

I know there's that notion that if you try and make someone else happy it'll make up for you being depressed or unhappy, but it doesn't work like that. It'll feel good at first, but eventually you'll realize that you're still not happy and then things like anger and resentment will start to crop up.

You're not in a good place to be taking care of someone else, OP. You need to take of yourself more first.

You can't share from an empty cup.
>>
>>747894
looks like you made the closing argument.

i agree 100% and know for sure a dog is not a good idea right now.

thank you
>>
>>747903
Something good has to come out of this hell hole once in a while.

I'd definitely look into volunteering, it'll help others and help you without putting so much pressure on yourself.

Also maybe think about upgrading from the Exploder to something bigger in the future, like a van or truck camper. That way when you are ready to get a dog, you'll have more room to play with.
>>
>>747833
dont listen to this guy
>>747837
thats pretty true
>>747840
hes right
>>747845
sotru
>>747853
if you tell them the truth they wont give you the dog, definately stay away from most small breed dogs, and some large breed dogs like german shepherds, queensland heelers, dalmatians, and probably a whole lot of other stuff i dont know about. How prepared are you to care for this animal out of your car? vet visits lots of dog food, lots of poo, flea medication heart worm medication, and bathing.
>>747859
sounds like fun desu but im a terrible dog owner i only teach my parents dogs bad habits
>>747894
Don't listen to this guy.

Its probably a bad idea, but then again you wouldn't be the first guy living with his dog in a car, so really you have to think about how committed you are to this idea. As for saving the dogs life, they're always going to be putting down dogs daily, because dogs litter like 9 pups and there's so many amateur dog breeders who just abandon pups. i think you'll find it overwhelming doing this all from your vehicle, but hey its your life and ultimately your decision. but hey post some pics of your living condition and hiking areas and we can give you more advice.
>>
>>747874
As somebody who breeds Dobermans, I counter your argument with a dog also being a tool as well as a companion. There are myriad working breeds who thrive on being used as the 'tools' they were bred to be. From herding sheep to personal security, train a dog to do a job and it will do it. That being said, every dog thrives when treated as a companion instead of simply an asset.
>>
I have a rat terrier mix that's about 13-14 lbs and would be perfectly happy curled up in a car for the majority of the day as long as he got to go outside and run around for a few hours a day. He wants to go with me wherever I go and doesn't like being left behind. When I'm driving he just curls up in the passenger seat and goes to sleep. I'm not sure if I'd try to live in a vehicle with him for an extended period of time but I'm pretty sure he'd be fine if we had to do that for a week or two at least.
>>
>>747915
thing is, Vancouver is really good with dog adoption, so i would have to go elsewhere because no matter what dogs get adopted.

on data right now, i would completely remove the back seats and turn that area into storage with some shitty carpentry work. rest of the back would be a massive cuddle bed.

i am in bc right now, so hikes are everywhere. yesterday i went on a nice long flat stroll through the woods, chilled by a wuterfall .

i do have a dog back home that is a spitz. god tier out dog; durable and high energy, but knows when to rest. he would probably love it, but not as much as living in a cozy big house with people.

like, i have money available. so i can take care of vet bills, boarding, food.

i am in coover today, i am going
to stop by the spca and talk to them about that, and maybe volunteering at different locations
>>
Hey bro get a little terrier. Small, barely shed, wicked smart. I'm all for dog treating sad times. Is a friend and responsibility. Just be sure you fully understand what it takes. Use dog love as momentum to take care of yourself and grow. :')
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.