[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the tallest mountain you'd be willing to climb?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15
File: K2_2006b.jpg (266 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
K2_2006b.jpg
266 KB, 1600x1200
What's the tallest mountain you'd be willing to climb?
>>
def not yr related pic senpai
>>
File: lpp and whitney.jpg (4 MB, 3679x2445) Image search: [Google]
lpp and whitney.jpg
4 MB, 3679x2445
~18k

but i expect i'll never get past 14.5k. i have shitloads to play on nearby (pic related), and i'd rather do a bunch of short adventures than a couple huge one.
>>
>>747614
All of them
>>
>>747624
https://youtu.be/EoCPuhhE6dw
>>
Probably Olympus Mons, there's no gravity on Mars so you could just hop up to the top, would probably take a few days though
>>
>>747628
>he fell for the Olympus Mons meme

baka desu
>>
>>747614
I'm so fat I can barely go up a flight of stairs.
>>
File: Plateau D'Emparis +Mont Blanc.jpg (176 KB, 1420x600) Image search: [Google]
Plateau D'Emparis +Mont Blanc.jpg
176 KB, 1420x600
>>747614
Probably the Mont Blanc
>>
>>747720
>le mont blanc
sure is reddit in here amirite guys
>>
>>747629
>baka desu
stop this shit you fucking weeb.
>>
File: droit au cœur.png (583 KB, 681x553) Image search: [Google]
droit au cœur.png
583 KB, 681x553
>>747787
>"Le" is the most common French word
>Tfw I live in reddit: the country

me on the right
>>
File: tommy.gif (62 KB, 387x291) Image search: [Google]
tommy.gif
62 KB, 387x291
>>747628
>there's no gravity on Mars
>>
>>747614

what do you mean? why would I not climb taller mountains? I'd like to climb everest one day.
>>
File: 103166035.0.jpg (633 KB, 3016x2124) Image search: [Google]
103166035.0.jpg
633 KB, 3016x2124
>>747913
enjoy your $100,000 trip to the world's highest garbage dump
>>
>>748034

That's so incredibly sad. I'd love to summit Everest, but I know that I would get no hoy out of it because I'd be hiking past corpses and garbage the whole way.
>>
File: everest-5-web.jpg (114 KB, 970x728) Image search: [Google]
everest-5-web.jpg
114 KB, 970x728
>>748039
or waiting in a conga line of bored dentists who have nothing better to do with their money than be able to say "been there"

i'll stick to my 13000' peaks that i only have to share with my climbing partner.
>>
>>748047

Holy shit that's unreal. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was an assembly line. My uncle summitted Denali and from the pictures he brougt back that seems like the way to go.
>>
>>748055
i was sad to learn k2's begun to go the same way-people with no business up there paying to be practically carried to the top, and people dying because of it.
>>
I did Kilimanjaro, which is non technical but you have to deal with altitude. I want to do some of the other seven summits though Everest isn't on my list for many reasons. If nothing else, I want to summit Aconcagua, also non technical but almost 7000m. I see no reason to ever go over 7000m.
>>
>>747614
I'm scared of heights. ill stick to my swamps. its all ogre down here.
>>
>>748047
>morning
>hello
>hello
>good day
>herro
>hey
>good morning
>herro
>hello
>pardon me
>coming through
>hello
>sorry bout that
>good day
>morning
>>
>>748174
This. My grandma had a dream about me dying in a climbing accident and she correctly predicted the deaths and near deaths of at least 5 diffrent family members. Either some /x/ shit is going on or she's been bumping off family members for years to maintain her position as head of the family.
>>
>>748179
>pant
>gasp
>pant
>gasp
>pant
>gasp
>pant
>gasp
>pant
>gasp
>pant
>gasp

fixed.

but the image you evoked still got a chuckle out of me
>>
>>748047
Everybody seems to think everest is just a joke now that rich people go do for fun.
http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/everest-deserves-respect-why-its-hard-from-someone-whos-been-there?A=SearchResult&SearchID=3522847&ObjectID=4065154&ObjectType=35
>>
>>748204
>Oldest person to climb M. Everest 80 years 224 days Yuichiro Miura
>Oldest woman to summit, Tamae Watanabe age 73
>Youngest person to climb Mount Everest 13 years 10 months 10 days old Jordan Romero
>Youngest girl to climb Mount Everest 13 years and 11 months old Malavath Purna
>Blind Summited Everest Erik Weihenmayer
>Double leg amputee Summited Everest Mark Inglis
>Double arm amputee Summited Everest Sudarshan Gautam
>Multiple sclerosis Summited Everest Lori Schneider
>Wegener's granulomatosis and partially blind Summited Everest Cindy Abbott

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mount_Everest_records
>>
any height, highest I've been is about 14,000ft and I'd love to go higher.
>>
>>748212
It's not very technical but that doesn't make it super easy. That old lady is tougher than you are.
>>
>>747720
climbing it in june. im from Brussels :) you jelly
>>
>>747614
Breithorn at 4'164m.
>>
>>748064
Just wait until they try to turn Annapurna into a tourist mountain as well, that'll go well.
>>
>>747617
I too want to climb Whitney.
>>
I was at about 5000m in the andes.
The thin air is making it really really exhausting up there.
I'd maybe do another 500 - 1000m but everything above is just too insane for me.
>>
File: latest.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
>>748330
Given how long a corpse lasts in that environment, it would be a sort of immortality to die there.
>>
One where I can breathe *freely* at the top without asphyxia.
>>
>>748330

Meh

Just make a business out of doing helicopter drops, you'll make a fortune
>>
>>748274
Nah at least I live much closer to the Alps than you m8
>>
>>748644
Air is too thin and the winds too unpredictable. Think there was only one case of a helicopter ever making it to the height and that was a stunt in a stripped down military helicopter which took many attempts. Now rocket sleds to the top... that has merit.
>>
Everest is a joke.

You pay 100k to follow a sherpa that carries all your shit. So many sherpas die just because spoiled westerners want to """climb""" everest.

Thousands of sherpa people died last year because of an earthquake and nobody cares, westerners just want to walk over the corpses and take a dumbass selfie on the summit so they can put it on facebook and impress their coworkers.

I would never climb everest, not even if it was free. Out of respect for the sherpa people.
>>
>>748755
>tibs fidora
>>
File: goodtimes.jpg (325 KB, 1500x1176) Image search: [Google]
goodtimes.jpg
325 KB, 1500x1176
>>748755
Can I hire Sherpas to carry me in a palanquin to the top? Or just go trekking in Nepal, in a palanquin?
>>
>>748759
Butthurt everest drone detected.
>>
I'd do an 8,000 m peak once I think. They're complete sufferfests but what really worries is the brain damage (even with O2).
>>
>>748755
You do realize the sherpas are paid excellent and it's something they do of their own free will, right?
>>
>>748791
They do it because its the only job in nepal that pays somewhat okay. And none of them /want/ to do it. They only do it because that way they can afford education for their children so they dont have to do the same thing.

In 2014 there was a tragedy that killed dozens of climbers, all of them were sherpas. The 2014 season was cancelled. And then in 2015 over 9000 sherpas died in the earthquake. For 2 years in a row now the sherpas couldnt work, and the nepalese government doesnt support or compensate for the loss. They only take a cut of the tourism and dont give a fuck about the sherpas. Now the sherpas cant work and cant afford education for their children and the children will have to work on the mountain aswell. Its a neverending cycle.
>>
>>748791

>opportunity to afford food, medicine, housing, etc.
>free will
>>
File: 1461558667514.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1461558667514.gif
81 KB, 182x249
>>747794
>calling someone a weeb in an anime website

baka desu senpai
>>
>>748801
What would happen to them if dentists stopped going to Everest? Would the sherpas suddenly become tech start up millionaires or would they find themselves without even the option of making income from climbers, starving to death instead?
>>
>>748802
Same old story: man sacrifices himself for his children. They then sacrifice themselves for theirs.

I worked a corporate job and saw this every day. "I haven't seen my family in 2 weeks" was common, so was "we're moving again need to find good schools for the kids".

A bunch of fucking bullshit and I quit. if you are working to make someone else's life better you are fucked. Maybe the sherpas aren't but I bet they are.
>>
>>748920
Good goy, do not reproduce, do not take responsibility, you are truly free being away from people. You beat the system.
>>
>>748915
Probably they would go back to doing whatever they did before the dentist influx. Farming and guiding legit climbers during the season?

Maybe less money from climbing but likely better for the soul.
>>
>>748921
Congratulations trying to get me back on the Jew-wheel. Not possible.

I have 3 kids and they are growing up in rural Alaska l learning how to earn a living without prostrating themselves before the altar of commerce. I am and they will be bushelers, regardless of how many tears the zionists shed.
>>
>>748915
Its the double bind for undeveloped/developing nations in the age of globalism. At this point, those societies have been able to grow in population thanks to the income from typically one sector of trade from the West. There's a good book called Ancient Futures about this, specifically the Ladakh people in Nepal though it also applies to other non-industrialized societies, which have existed so close to their environments their populations are kept in check by them. The issue is that when income and access to goods occur, populations grow rapidly without cultural norms and infrastructure to keep pace. These areas typically don't have many alternative opportunities for sustenance otherwise, ie mining, agriculture, tourism (sometimes), logging.

Another recent movie, Racing Extinction, details how conservationists wanted to protect manta rays from being hunted, however the villagers in Indonesia that were overfishing the rays wouldn't be able to feed their large families if a ban on mantas went into effect. Queue scenes of Indonesian villagers with dozens of children in tow. So the issue is that the villagers would never have been able to hunt so prolifically nor sell to Western markets without their technology or business, but now what are the people to do if we ban their source of income? Of course an entire species should be protected from going extinct even if some villagers rely on them, but the issue is that they never should have been relying on them so heavily in the first place.

On another semi-related note, I find this *slightly* analogous to coal miners in the US bitching that the EPA/Obama is putting them out of business and into poverty. They seem immune to the fact that their existence has always been a temporary one. What happened to coal country pennsylvania when the seams were depleted? Some things just aren't meant to last.
>>
>>748923
Oh, I thought you were trying to pull a mccandless and vaguely wander around to be free of the 'system'. A bit odd in saying that children don't require sacrifice though.
>>
>>748930
They require sacrifice if you buy into the whole "they must have more stuff than I have" bullshit. I mean sure, they require time that you could otherwise spend doing whatever the hell you feel like doing, but that isn't the kind of sacrifice corporatists make. They do the opposite where they don't go to their kids' ball games in order to buy them the latest video game system.

I spend time with my kids when if otherwise be out hunting, or fucking my wife, or getting drunk, but I'm OK with that since I made that choice when I procreated. If I wanted to put more beats in P&Y instead of teaching my kids how to sneak up on bears I'd have never done that.

Anyway, maybe my kids will be just as fucked up as those from the dickheads I used to work with but I hope not.
>>
>>748915
They become farmers, they have been farming for the last 2 years just to keep them and their kids alive but theres no future.
>>
Who Mt. Vinson here?
>>
>>748922
>>748941
Sounds very paternalistic. Good thing sherpas have image board posters to run their lives for them since they're too stupid to make their own choices.
>>
>>748962
Tinder works in Antarctica so I'm in.
>>
>>748801
None of them want to do it? Did you ask every one of them?

Many are alpinists and love climbing.
>>
>>749036
No they dont. They dont even understand why we want to climb everest so bad. They think its foolish. But its the only way they can make reasonable money so they have to do it.
>>
>>748763
>I would never climb everest, not even if it was free. Out of respect for the sherpa people.

do you literally not realize how gay this sounds
>>
>>747832
60% less gravity than earth tho
>>
>>747614
Mount Tenpo
>>
>>748034
>>748039
>>748047
>>748055
Just imagine if O2 were banned on the mountain except for rescue crews. That ought to clean the place up, all the tourist-tiers would drop out below 20k
>>
>>749049
I didn't realize all sherpas feel the same way and none of them enjoy their job. Read about Pemba Gyalje Sherpa and then tell me you still feel the same way.
>>
>tfw climbing mountains but no matter how high i climb i can never get high enough to escape my no gf.
>>
File: mweb.jpg (166 KB, 500x665) Image search: [Google]
mweb.jpg
166 KB, 500x665
>>748370
i hiked up the trail about 10 years ago before i got into climbing. now i want to go back and to the east buttress. pic related.unfortunately my partners are all too unreliable to plan far enough in advance to get a permit.

fortunately they're great for spontaneous weekend shit, which there's plenty of nearby.
>>
>>749143
Ofcourse there are some people who enjoy it for some reason but the majority doesnt want to do it.

I think its comparable to being drafted to go to war.
>>
File: denali.jpg (327 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
denali.jpg
327 KB, 1024x576
20,308′

Maybe some day
>>
>>749248
>I think its comparable to being drafted to go to war.

One if free choice and the other is the government demanding you put yourself in a war or be imprisoned and/or killed. Unless you're going to support the sherpas on your own, you're engaging in western value projection as a means of making yourself feel superior and to virtue signal to your friends how superior you are. The lives of the sherpas have no value to you. They're dress up dolls in your morality play.
>>
>>749422
Excuse me?

I have been in nepal 3 times and ive spoken to many sherpas personally. I love the sherpa people so dont tell me they are inferior or that i dont care about them because i do. Their government treats them like shit and theres nothing they can do about it.

Saying that its a free choice is like saying that getting a cellphone is a free choice. Yes its technically a free choice but you wont be able to do much without it.
>>
>>749441
You still haven't explained how taking away their income will magically make all the other things you've whined about better. Still sounds like you're an arrogant westerner telling the rest of the planet how to live their lives. But that's ok right, because you care about them so you're going to make their decisions for them.
>>
I'd climb Everest if someone would sponsor me and pay for everything.

I wouldn't set foot on K-2 or Annapurna though.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 532x95) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 532x95
Mount Diablo because I can just hike to the top, I can't really climb.
>>
>>748801
>They only do it because that way they can afford education for their children so they dont have to do the same thing.

That is called almost every single job in the world. I dont want to glaze windows but i would be pretty upset if some arsehole decided he would build a house without windows for my sake.
>>
Definitely nothing in my area seeing as I live in the adirondacks and all I have is big hills
>>
>>748807

baka desu senpai
>>
>>748922
being better for the soul means nothing when youre struggling to put food on the table.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (29 KB, 1335x561) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
29 KB, 1335x561
>>747614
Mountain of steve
>>
>>747628

kill yourself NOW
>>
>>748047
That's true.
I would rather blab that I've climbed all the Munros in Scotland than reached the summit of Everest.
>>
>>748274
What's your plan with climbing Mont Blanc?
>>
>>747614
ur mum
>>
>>747628
Imagine for one second that you are right about that. How are you going to stop from being launched into space if you >just hop up to the top?
>>
>>749934
If my life continue the way it is going, I'd love to try the Annapurna, might as well go in style.
>>
>>747614
SPACE MOUNTAIN!
>>
>>749934
>climbing the shit tier mountain for braggarts
>not climbing the mountains for mountaineers
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.