[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you walk silently through the woods? I have been wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
How do you walk silently through the woods?

I have been wondering about this for a while, and the other day when I was /out/ hiking in the national forest close to my house, I was questioning if it was even possible.

I can't walk through any section that isn't rocks or a pre-established path without sounding like I'm just crashing through every branch and undergrowth in the entire damn forest.

So how do you guys walk silently or at least quietly through leafy woods?
>>
I wear crocs, they're not silent but a good style to noise ratio.
>>
Be low to the ground and roll your feet
>>
Stick to the trees, human.

t. knife-eared piece of shit elf
>>
>>747530
LNT practice requires you don't leave traces so just don't step on sticks or anything that can be disturbed and you'll be fine OP.
>>
Take off your shoes.
>>
>>747575
Just walk naked and you'll blend into the forest
>>
>>747530
Its just not doable. Not even animals can do it. Not small birds looking for insects under leafs, nor large deer or even squirrels.
>>
>>747530
Show up to the wood a day early and rake all the leaves there is, next pick up all the twigs and pile them in another area bundled into 3 foot long bundles. Wear kong fu shoes without socks. Take long slow steps.
>>
>>747802
>Its just not doable. Not even animals can do it. Not small birds looking for insects under leafs, nor large deer or even squirrels.

/thread
>>
>>747530
It is pretty easy actually. You just have to think about what you are doing instead of tromping off.
>>
>>747802

what about small deer?
>>
>>747530
pretty much can't when the entire area is covered in dried grass, leaves, and sticks
>>
Oh cool it's the "I have literally never been innawoods" thread. Lmao. It's not like fucking Avatar you sperglords.
>>
File: 1197142468325.jpg (21 KB, 397x346) Image search: [Google]
1197142468325.jpg
21 KB, 397x346
>>747926
What about them? If there are leaves and they move, you hear them. Even mice. Even bats you can hear flapping about.

Did you ever go /out/?
>>
>>747530
Make and wear moccasins.
>>
>>748379
You can't go silent in them but you are hip as fuck.
>>
>>747802
What about snipes?
>>
File: cat1.jpg (123 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
cat1.jpg
123 KB, 565x600
>>748798
What about them?
>>
I pick up a large softball sized rock. I then throw it as far as I can into another dry leaf pile. When all of the murderous wildlife go "what was that over there, let's go eat it" I then walk over the leaves. I believe it's called miss direction. I heard Steve O use that term when he went to clown college.
>>
File: twin-peaks-trees-fog-785x570.jpg (77 KB, 785x570) Image search: [Google]
twin-peaks-trees-fog-785x570.jpg
77 KB, 785x570
Once I was a little kid hunting with my dad he told me that I walk like his father did. Silently and without looking in the ground.
>>
>>748771
I'm pretty sure you can if you watch where you step, as in avoid terrain as in the OP, for instance.
>>
>>747530
Go on, make noise help me find you. Because I will, you know I will, find you.
>>
With dry and brittle debris like yer pic, it's not really possible. Yer best bet is to avoid the larger and more breakable debris and to walk with a good, even roll to your feet that allows yer sole to feel the ground beneath it for an instant before putting yer weight down. This is pretty much the foundation of it. Leave as little trace as you can.

I've gotten quite remarkably good at doing this. Some people call it Spirit Walking but I usually don't. Basically, practice will get you there. The younger you start, the better. I started when I was 12, am now 19. I can sneak into the light of people's campfires without being seen until I'm in the ring of people around it and I can travel in the midst of herds of deer without startling. It really just takes getting used to it putting your deliberation and intuition together.
>>
Read The Tracker and The Search, both by Tom Brown Jr. It will give you some insight as well.
>>
File: snipe.jpg (2 MB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
snipe.jpg
2 MB, 2250x1500
>>748814
>>748798
You can hear them flying. They normally don't fly very high in the woods and slam down into the leaves after about 50 yards.
>>
>>748887
Same anon.

I always wanna stress how important it is that you take your time. Stealth is as much about speed as it is about other senses. It'll take a lot of practice before you can sprint through the woods and be nearly as quiet as when yer walking. I still can't sprint full speed without doing more damage than normal. Also when you're trying to avoid being detected, it's more important to move slowly then to find cover. Someone can be looking at you already and not really notice you because of how slow you move, how small you make yourself look, and how you even look back at them. Im only able to move between deer in a herd by doing it very, slowly, deliberately, and unimposingly.
>>
>>747923
This. There are many techniques for moving silently; even in piles of humus and leaves. Learn them.
>>
>>747534
underrated
>>
>>747802
>>747530

They don't have to be silent, do they?

If you want to sneak, wear moccasins, bend your knees to lower your c of g and walk sideways like a ninja. Makes you harder to track later too.

And don't forget to add some lyme before you bury them, anon.
>>
This is something I enjoy practicing for fun when I'm not in a rush but it only works on trail. Like others have said it's impossible to walk through most forests without making a ruckus, the exception being coniferous patches which usually offer quiet ground cover. When your on trail though it's basicly sticking to dirt or rocks, avoid loose material and control your steps.
>>
>>747575
I tried to walk without shoes but I scratched my feet quite a bit. Also I mpved extremely slowly and overall it was painful when I wasn't on a path.
Would not recommend unless you're willing to accustom your feet to it and lose all your sensitivity in them but ot's gonna be a while before you get used to it I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 620x349
>>750200
walking barefoot on mosses is really pleasurable.
Areas like pc related must be heaven walking without shoes on
>>
File: 9VmHrWi.jpg (129 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
9VmHrWi.jpg
129 KB, 1024x768
get some soft shoes. moccasins are most widely available, i use anglo saxon turnshoes because I'm a LARPING faggot. soft soles are far better to walk silently in.
make sure you roll your foot kind of, walk on sticks and closer to trees and tree roots so you don't crunch leaves.
you just need to practice a lot.

the forests near me never have dry leaves since it's wet 100% of the time so I have no problem with leaves crunching, they're always soaked.
>>
>>747530
Animals that walk silently through the woods weigh much less than humans do and have double or more smaller feet to distribute their weight and allow for more precise steps. Humans were not made to walk silently through the woods. We were made to walk slowly, deliberately, infinitely onward towards our prey until it ran out of energy and out of hope, until we caught it and killed it.
>>
File: birdswitharms2.jpg (31 KB, 480x512) Image search: [Google]
birdswitharms2.jpg
31 KB, 480x512
>>750209
>>>747530 (OP)
>We were made to walk slowly, deliberately, infinitely onward towards our prey until it ran out of energy and out of hope, until we caught it and killed it.

Noice.
>>
>>750209
>>751095

Agree with second anon, nice turn of phrase. Give us some moar of that please, JackLondanon.
>>
>>747923
>>747575
>>747561
>>747541
Stay semi-crouched while walking. Your thighs will burn like hell after a while, but when you stay slightly bent at the knees at all time, you'll have a lot better control of your feet and your movement will be a lot smoother and you'll practically glide through the woods. It's pretty fucking cool when you do it right. Just slightly bent knees, keep an eye where you're stepping, roll the foot as you step. You'll still make some noise, but it will be greatly reduced
>>
Wear moccasins and walk slowly. Think you're walking slow? Not slow enough. Go even slower than that.
>>
>>750209
Except that makes no sense if you're in a forest. Animal will simply sprint ahead until out of sight and hide/ or keep running
>>
>>752241

In fact, just stop altogether. Then you'll be quiet as fuck.
>>
>>752241

Take one step for every post that appears on /out
>>
>>753128
maybe a little faster than that.
>>
>>753373

*1 step*
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.