[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
Are machetes just useless tacticool toys outside of jungle environments?
>>
>>747468
Yes. I only know one person who's owned one, and he was definitely the stereotypical gun-nut autistic prepper. Getting one of these and not living in a rainforest is like getting a semper fi tattoo and not being in the marines.
>>
I think it's ok to keep one in the toolshed if you work your own land, or as a regular EDC in the jungle, but if you're just a normal camper it's pretty fedora-tier.
>>
>>747468
Yes
>>
Someone gave me one, so i threw it in the truck. Just used it for the first time to hack through some bushes to get to the base of a waterfall in the Sierras. Helped a lot to have it then, but it's never needed otherwise.
>>
I use my full size machete for most tasks including cutting branches up to wrist thick of hardwood when it's green and softwoods up to six inches diameter, it is different than using an axe.
When I started using axes I would glance off the piece I was trying to cut because of the angle I was using.
Axes will bite deeper into thick wood and split shit because of wedge shape. Machetes will cut tall grass canes and even branches with one swing alot easier, whit a larger area and in a flowing motion.
They are great for certain things, look at cultures that use them for everything from making shelter to prepping food. Axes are for shaping and processing wood.
>>
>>747807
axes are for felling an splidding, yes. sheddies are good at clearing and swiping. if you have a bunch of little branches to cut trying to use an axe would be dumber'n horsecocks. an axe requires a solid noncompliant target so it chops into it, something heavy like a tree, or limb, or skull. a sheddy is for cutting. a heavy sheddy can do heavy cutting, and light sheddy can do light cutting. one is the right tool for the job and one isn't, depending on the job. in my opinion there's not much overlap where they're interchangeable
>>
pretty much yea
>>
>>747468
Land surveyor here, when surveying a rural property with a lot of growth a machete is pretty handy to clear a path or to make headspace for the GPS unit to get fixed
>>
File: DSCN3196-1.jpg (384 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3196-1.jpg
384 KB, 800x600
>>748195
some of your ilk sheddied their way through our property to survey the neighboring property line and didn't ask our permission >:|

pic may as well be related
>>
I almost bought one once, then realized I have absolutely no use for it.
>>
>outside of jungle environments?

Believe it or not, there are different machete designs for different environments. The rest of you're question is basically asking if you need a tool for a job the tool was designed for if you have no intention of using the tool for the job.
>>
>>747468
No. I use one to clear brush too thick for a weedwacker.
>>
I use mine a lot when clearing patches and paths for guerrilla growing cannabis. Some of the woods I enter are impossible to navigate without a machete as well. Stealth is a priority so carrying a weedeater or chainsaw is out of the question. Also with its serrated edge I can down small trees using it as a saw so that I get enough light to my grow spots. It's been an invaluable tool to me and I live nowhere near any jungles.
>>
Mmmm, sure. Yeah, I suppose if you're camping it is pretty useless unless you need to clear a trail for a portable latrine.

Outside of that, they're only modestly useful. Though I got some pretty good mileage from my aranyik latin machete on some really thick, woody shrubbery in our backyard - went through it like butter.
>>
>>747468
I'd take a kukri before a hatchet, you can use it to clear trails, chop wood, self defense, and srill be able to perform most of the basic tasks a knife would be used for
>>
I use my chette at least monthly. I live in a fairly wooded area and when I walk my property I use it to keep my trails clear. It isn't essential. There are other things I can do the job with, but frankly it's fun and useful. Also I've had to chase homeless people off my property more than once. It's a lot better to tell them to get the hell out with a big o'l fucking knife on your hip than to risk force escalation or police problems by pointing my gun at them.
>>
>>747468
Yes
>>
>>747468
>asks about machete
>posts kukri
>>
>>747813
your slang is confusing
>>
>>750431
>sheddy
>splidding
>horsecocks
what's not to get
>>
>>750432
i got the horsecocks it was just the sheddies thing
>>
>>748209
I try to be respectful of people's property and land, but I know that not every surveyor does he same, I'm sorry that they sheddied a path in your property
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12 KB, 261x195
>>750673
not just that anon, he sheddied a path through my own heart
>>
>>747473
What if I live and work in a temperate rain forest in the PNW?
>>
>>748260

>The rest of you are question
>>
Is there any point to having a kukri though? It just seems lile a weird mix between a hatchet and a big bowie knife.
>>
>>751380
They're closer to a hatchet IMO and I like mine, not quite as good as a hatchet for chopping as they transmit more shock but better for knifey tasks especially things like drawknifing if that's a word. I switch between my hatchet and kukri at whim, depends which I feel like using.
>>
>>747468

i keep mine in my camping truck, last year in the rocky mountains it cleared small trees for my tent and a path to park my truck and used it to chop some fucking giant ugly beetles that were flying everywhere

came in handy for cutting small dead trees for firewood too
>>
>>747468
Use mine all the time for cutting anything smaller than Arnold's arms.
>>
File: off-topic-thread.gif (3 MB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
off-topic-thread.gif
3 MB, 600x324
I personally think machetes ( be they in the hands of rec. campers, preppers ( and not all preppers are bad; media just gave us a bad spin ) or those who actually need to use it in their normal lives as a tool. I think, at least as far as American society goes, they are becoming toys because we don't have as much of a need for them as people in other areas. That makes them, in the eyes of Americans, an exotic tool, which means it will continued to featured in movies, television, novels, wall mounts, etc. to the point of excess because that is about the only things Americans ( I'm an American ) care about: excess.

>>750675
gif related; I'm sorry about your property but try to stay focused.
>>
A stiff bladed machete is a very good all in one cutting tool. Its more than just a grass cutter.

Its not the best at everything, but it can do anything a small knife and a hatchet can.

Its worth learning to use one.

Most of the time I'd rather have a machete as my only cutting tool than a smaller knife or a hatchet. Unless I need to do axe work, most of the time I will reach for a big knife or machete.

But since you don't need to limit yourself to only one cutting tool just go ahead and carry whatever the fuck you want.
>>
I'm sure there is a better tool for it, but I used one pretty effectively to remove cactus in a desert area here in Tx.
>>
>>753305
> but it can do anything a small knife and a hatchet can

Yeah it can definately fell a tree.
>>
jesus, threads like this remind me that even here most people don't go out at all
>>
>>753305

>learning to use one

Stage 1: Chop
Stage 2: Profit
>>
>>753445
facetious
>>
>>753445
>felling a tree with a hatchet
>>
>>747468
Daily reminder that if you need to cut through dense temperate or tropical rainforest foliage thinner than your thumb and want to save weight it's best to just bring a freshly-cut bamboo rod (1-3 cm in diameter) and swing it around viciously. You'll never have to sharpen it and small branches/ferns/vines will be powerless before you. Als
>>
>>753976
*also good for self-defense against teenagers
>>
>>753977
>implying a machete won't defend you from teenagers even better
>>
>>753982
bamboo rod is more humiliating though and it's amusing to hear them cry like little bitches
>>
File: tngrs.jpg (130 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
tngrs.jpg
130 KB, 600x800
>>753977
>teenagers
oh the dangerous teenager meme eh? nice one pops
>>
File: 2016-05-03-14-59-01.png (144 KB, 479x319) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-03-14-59-01.png
144 KB, 479x319
>>753305
>You don't need to limit yourself to one cutting tool.
You car camp, don't you?

Pic related.
>>
I find a machete extremely useful for cutting back encroaching forest growth around the house, chopping brush up to burn in my BBQ and keeping tracks clear on my grandparents' bush block. I don't know what else you'd use for these tasks
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.