[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UL General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: P1020031.jpg (65 KB, 640x386) Image search: [Google]
P1020031.jpg
65 KB, 640x386
Question to the UL folks, I need a lightweight shelter that can cope with high winds and stormy weather such. but I am 6'7" (202cm) plus I got a mid sized dog with me.
IS the MLD Duomid XL a good choice?

>also UL General
>>
>>747279
you're the size of a packhorse and you have a miniature packhorse with you
why UL?
>>
>>747301
Because 12+ days trek with no resupply points == lots of food to carry, so it'd be wise to bring the base weight down.
>>
>>747305
Sleep inside the dog.
>>
>>747301
Lots of people just prefer UL anyway since hiking is a lot more fun when you can really cover ground.

>>747279
I'm 6'6 myself and make do with a bivy, tyvek sheet or a pad depending on destination and sleeping bag with padding removed from the bottom to save weight myself. A tent is a good investment for having a pooch though. Weight looks good as long as you stay low on bedding material. I've tried taking the padding out of the bottom of my sleeping bag and appreciate the space saved without really feeling any colder (with groundsheet still).

misc. side note, you should try out a wok for cookware. I got turned on to it by this article backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/74639/.
Able to use fuel more sparingly once you get the tech down, plus you can steam, stir fry, boil, whatever. I use with the MSR pocket rocket and its great.
>>
>>747357
>backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/74639/
You can do that with any lightweight pan, and you avoid the problem of trying to get the wok to sit leveled over the stove.
>>
>>747357
>>747573
Most of the time I just use a small trangia kettle with either a alco stove or a remote canister stove, depending on my needs, I can make do with tea and a hot (dehydrated) meal a day. Wood as a fuel is most of the time not available where I go (treeline).
I need a shelter for me and the dog, and it needs to be big and sturdy enough so I can wait out a storm.
Bugs are most of the time not an issue, but 1-2 months a year they are a plague so a inner net would be handy.
>>
>>747584

Get the black diamond duomid and bug shelter. The groundcloth in the bug shelter is strong enough to not be torn up by the puppers nails and you can just leave it at home when bugs aren't a problem.
>>
I'm moving to Florida soon and am thinking about using a hammock for my /out/ adventures there since it's always warm and my biggest concern will be bugs and lack of dry ground. The problem is that I bring my dog and I'm worried that she'll tear up any hammock I buy. Would it be worth making my own out of pack cloth?
>>
>>747279
Who here is /no stove/? Trying to cut out a stove/fuel wet foods completely. Tried it out on a few weekend trips and it seems like a good way to cut weight
>>
>>747671
Puppy does not go into bug shelter, I love my dogo, but theres limits, he does not eat from my plate, does not sleep in my bed and beyond the no seeum net is off limits to him.
I do not find a BD duomid, got a link?
>>
>>747700
Easy during warm season, but I cannot into no stove during cold and wet weather.
>>
>>747310
Han Solo pls go.
>>
>>747709
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys/beta-light-tent-BD8005230000ALL1.html#start=14

Sorry, beta light. Got my names mixed up. I keep my pup in with me because mosquitos can harm your dog. Regardless it's still a nice shelter setup if you add the bug screen
>>
>>747279
I have spent a few nights in a Duomid XL while hunting with a buddy who had one. His is the CF version and is crazy light, but was really tight with both of us in it, and that was with leaving a lot of gear outside. As with most teepees the usable space is a lot less than the footprint because the sides are so steeply sloped. Even laying down you can't be against the walls or the roof will be in your face.

Never weathered a storm in the thing but I expect it will be fine.

I like to stay light but am willing to trade weight for utility when it makes sense. My main shelter is a Kifaru Sawtooth and I love the thing. The sides guy out so you really can use the whole width, and it is tall enough I can get dressed while standing (6'4'').

I've gone through big ass storms and it has not missed a beat as long as I've used cyclone stakes on 4 corners. A buddy and I spent 4 straight days inside it, leaving only for bathroom breaks, during an awful run of storms while scouting for bear on Afognak. Was really to have the headroom.
>>
>>747925
Well thanks for the hint, but size wise not what I am looking for plus the weight with inner is close to my trusty double wall tent.

>>748117
Same here, the size and quality is great, but again, the weight is close to my tunnel tent, so no real gain here.

I was recommended a Solong 6, size and weight look good, I'm just not sure how much bad weather it can take.
>>
>>747700
Nah m9, weekend trips are pleasure trips for me. If I was to do something like op then I would consider it, but nah. I need my morning coffee and my evening noodle soup.
>>
>>748642
Fair enough on the sawtooth.

A little closer to the Duomid in weight but with a bigger footprint is a Seek Outside BT-2. Never owned one but have stayed in other SO tents and they make an excellent product. The BT2 also has 2 doors, which is freaking great for ventilation.
>>
I'm trying to find a semi-light 1 person tent that I can carry while backpacking. I'm looking for something that would work for Spring, Summer, and cold Fall days (gotta love those Pennsylvanian nights). Would anyone recommend either of these two tents:
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-5024617-Lynx-1-Person/dp/B00BMKD1DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461704609&sr=8-1&keywords=1+person+tent

http://www.amazon.com/Snugpak-Ionosphere-Person-Olive-Green/dp/B003U9851E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461704609&sr=8-8&keywords=1+person+tent

or are there any others that anyone would recommend? I'm looking to spend $200 or less.
>>
>>749682
Yuu might like the Trekkertent Stealth 1
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.