[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
water bottles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: Screenshot_2016-04-21-10-25-30.png (241 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-21-10-25-30.png
241 KB, 1080x1920
What is the best bang for buck /out/ waterbottle?
What do you guys use?
I was thinking of getting this klean kanteen, but idk.
>must be stainless steel
>wide mouthed preferable
>must be able to be tossed in a fire for water boilage
Also a cup to protect from heat when pulling out of the fire would be nice
>>
>>745074
You answered your own question. A stainless steel or aluminum bottle because it serves a double purpose. Just don't fall for a brand and get whatever is cheap, because you'll be throwing it into the fire at some point.

I wouldn't pay $70 for a water container btw. That's plain stupidity.
>>
>>745074

That's a big bottle, wouldn't you rather have two smaller ones?
>>
>>745074
The bottle that you have pictured is an insulated bottle and would be destroyed if you put it in the fire...
>>
Not OP but what about some of those stainless bottles from China that are for sale on ebay? They're cheap but I'm not sure about what kind of steel they're using and whether or not contaminants will end up leaching into the liquid stored inside...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26oz-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle-for-Travel-Outdoor-Yoga-Camping-Hiking-Cycling-/111919455942?hash=item1a0eeb5ec6:g:DzEAAOSw0JpV3Yjv
>>
>>745079
>>745094
The point of the thread is to try and find a brand/model
>>
>>745170
Size and price are two things that factor into a specific model. I don't know about the other guy but I wasn't trying get to be a dick, it was just an honest observation. A stainless steel water bottle that holds almost two litres is huge compared to what I use.
>>
>>745074
Get a nalgene stainless steel 38oz. Its the reference.
>>
>>745203
I've heard nalgene is chinashit
>>
Why don't you guys use plastic waterbottles?
>>
>>745487
Can't boil water in plastic bottles m8
>>
>>745487
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A
>>
>>745489
Oh cool I thought this was about water storage lmoa
>>
>>745499
Well, it's both really. It's just nice to be able to fill up your drinking bottle out of a stream and then throw it directly onto a fire to sterilize it instead of having to unpack the cook set, use a pot to boil water, then wait for it to cool off enough so that you can pour it into your water bottle.
>>
>>745131
Listen to this guy.

If you want a bottle to use in a fire, you do not want it insulated.

It's also good to look for steel that has no coating on the inside. Unless you like drinking chemicals.
>>
Op here.
I bought this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ASI9II/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
How bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>745536
Looks good to me. I have a hydro flask 40 Oz that I carry with me daily. Can't beat a metal water bottle.
>>
>>745094
4 u
>>
>>745409
so? it's a fucking stainless steel bottle. even the chinks can't fuck that up.
>>
Wouldn't an ultra-wide metal water container be even better? Because then you could:
1. Use it as a drink bottle.
2. Boil water in it.
3. Use it to cook in.

There must be something like that out there
>>
>>745490
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

The study found that people may be absorbing 19 times more BPS through their skin than the amount of BPA they absorbed, when it was more widely used.[246] In a 2011 study researchers looked at 455 common plastic products and found that 70% tested positive for estrogenic activity. After the products had been washed or microwaved the proportion rose to 95%.

holy fucking shit
>>
>>745536
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ASI9II/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
Have 2. Bought second one after I found out how much I liked the first one figuring that I would somehow destroy it. Still using the first one all dented up from use. I'm hard on water bottles.

That said, it never goes /out/ with me. I carry SmartWater bottles in my pack. Narrow and tall containers are not thermally efficient for heating water. I use a kettle when I'm /out/.
>>
File: 20160422_081857.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160422_081857.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I use this klean kanteen 27oz for all my outdoors and day to day needs, I've had it for a few years now and it's pretty solid. When I need to replace it I will probably get one with a wider mouth, and maybe a cheaper brand. I like the bamboo and steel cap, super durable and you can use it as a cute little mini cutting board. I've banged this bottle into a lot of shit and rolled it down a few rocky slopes, I just hammer the bottom flat when it gets too uneven. My girlfriend has the same bottle but painted, all the paint is chipping off hers but it works fine still.
>>
>>745774
Kleankanteen makes wide mouth stainless bottle. I have one, it's 64oz (about 1.1L) and is great.

You could make some food inside, and works well for boiling water in.
>>
>>745849

>no bail arm

How do you take it off the fire then, senpai?
>>
>>745487

Enjoy your extrogen mantits.
>>
>>747398
>actually believes the anti bpa marketing hype
>>
>>745489
Actually you can. Try it for the lulz. Put a plastic bottle (an empty soda one works) with water over the fire (hanging over the fire that is), don't fill it to the top because it will get spilled when boiling. The bottle will try to melt but the water inside will prevent it from happening. I wouldn't do this for every hike or camp but in a survival situation or with nothing else at hand, is a good way to kill patogens in the water.
>>
File: kellyboil2.jpg (41 KB, 286x400) Image search: [Google]
kellyboil2.jpg
41 KB, 286x400
>>745849
>9$ for a fuck ss bottle lid
>rusts after the first use

I use my kleankanteen like every day but fuck kleankanteen. I got a 4$ aluminum bottle from target with a plastic cap like 7 or 8 years ago and although it is thinner and weaker material that has accumulated its share of dings it does just as good as my ss kleenkanteen. waterbottles have become some kind of conspicuous consumption brand whoring bullshit I hate this fucking 70$ insulated hydroflask shit its a goddamn thermos this shit aint hitech. I stole a 1960s thermos from my grandmas basment and its even got a cup on top, perfect for tea and coffee and that shit could be had at the thrift store for 5$. Its like 3 times as old as me you think this shit isnt good enough for your weekend car camping faggotry??. thats right im mad about waterbottles what of it??! aint nobody never need to boil water in their canteen neither! unless you talking about a kelly canteen.
>>
>>748251
70 dollars for a hydro flask? Fuck off with your sensationalist bullshit.
>>
File: 1425003759334.jpg (57 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
1425003759334.jpg
57 KB, 640x479
>>748265
I just dropped 26 Euros for the large Nalgene Steel bottle. The hefty prices are out there.
>>
>>748265
He's prolly talking about the one in the op m9
>>
>>745074
I use smartwater bottles
>durable
>light
>exactly 1 liter for easy measurements
Plus they come with a free drink
>>
>>750581
And just use a pot for boiling
>>
File: IMG_20131009_140254.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131009_140254.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>745074
love these

ur growler is badass but a shitty survival bottle
>>
>>750581
>I use smartwater bottles
Do they play chess or somethin'
>>
>>750588
>all that unnecessary weight

>>750591
Do they not have smartwater in your shithole country?
>>
>>750593
>Do they not have smartwater in your shithole country?

Wow. Too much sugar or something?
>>
File: 1312256456386.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1312256456386.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
>>750593
my landcruiser can take a few extra lbs bro

>tfw
>>
>>750581
>Look up Smartwater
>glacéau smartwater is inspired by the way mother nature makes water, known as the hydrologic cycle. we simulate this process by vapor distilling water, making every drop as pure as the very first drop of rain (before it passes through pollutants, of course). if that’s not smart enough, we then one-up mother nature by adding in electrolytes for a clean crisp taste. if that sounds like genius, it is. smartwater is smart because it’s made that way.
What the FUCK man
>>
>>750581
>smartwater
smartwater is weird. It tastes good but if you refill the bottle with other bottled water it tastes odd.
>>
>>751512
It's produced by same company as coca cola so nobody actually buys it for the water unless they're braindead.

I brought some for the bottles, the water tastes of nothing, its kinda daunting & horrible.
>>
Klean Kanteen 40oz vs the Nalgeen 40oz for bailing wire. Wire on the wifes 40oz Klean Kanteen keeps slipping off. Maybe im not putting it on the best way. I use the Klean kanteen 27oz with wire and the lip is better for it.

Surprised no one has mentioned the 40oz nalgeen plastic bottles, for those of you who dont put it in fire its great and like $10.
>>
>>751294
>carcamping
>thinks it's real camping
Kek

>>751512
>>751639
I just use if for the bottles lol
>>
>>745074
>Unanswered email, texts, voice-mail and 50% battery life

You're killing me.
>>
>>752020
>for the bottles
And you've never noticed it maks normal spring water taste weird? I really can't drink water out of a smartwater bottle. I'm actually a little embarassed that I know this but it was the only option I had 1 day.
>>
>>752062
Nah man. Although I use aquamira instead of a filter. Tap water doesn't taste any different though
>>
File: image.jpg (826 KB, 1315x2047) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
826 KB, 1315x2047
Picked up this like new 40 oz. SS Kleen Kanteen bottle at Goodwill for 99¢. Seems to be a pretty good buy.
>>
>>752034
Kek I thought I was the only one triggered
>>
>>745074
I use the disposable plastic 1L water bottles. They're lighter than anything else you'll find and good for a few dozen uses.

If I need to boil water I bring a pot.
>>
>>747553

So, right when everyone and their Aunt Edna owns a Nalgene bottle, suddenly a mysterious chemical turns out to be dangerous. Really really (unspecified) dangerous. No scientific evidence to support it, but boooo! Scary.

So we all go out and buy expensive new bottles. Any takers on odds that some new toxin will be detected when sales start plateauing?

Fucking capitalism. Wake up, sheeple.
>>
File: Ti.png (170 KB, 1429x657) Image search: [Google]
Ti.png
170 KB, 1429x657
Ill spring for the Ti version if i can just for lower weight. I got tons of nalgene bottles and what not. Still 1litter off the shelf bottled water for weight purposes
>>
>>752922
At mec you could bring in your old nalgene and exchange it for a new one for free.
>>
>>752963
If you're really concerned about weight, just use a Gatorade bottle. A lot of UL hikers use them on their AT thru hikes.
>>
>>745074
If you have a decent thriftstore nearby, check that first. Around me there's always aluminum water bottles for ~2 bucks
>>
>>745689
heh
>>
>>752764
If I need to boil water I don't bother I just bring pot
>>
>>752986
>UL hikers
>Unironically
Wew lod
>>
>>750581

Never was a fan of smartwater. Taste kind of brackish to me.
>>
>>745074
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Water-Bottle-Stainless/dp/B018XNYXL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462247653&sr=8-2&keywords=stanley+stainless+water+bottle
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.