[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
besides dick proenneke and werner herzog ... /out/ films?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10
File: wttw_1338852384.jpg (141 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
wttw_1338852384.jpg
141 KB, 800x400
besides dick proenneke and werner herzog ... /out/ films?
>>
>>743944
Most of the /out/ films ever made are pretty sexist so we don't really endorse them here.
>>
File: 65465654654.jpg (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
65465654654.jpg
17 KB, 640x480
>>744032
>>
>>744032
LGBT PLS GO
>>
>>743944
I will never get tired of Proenneke. Nor of grizzlybitch getting eaten in a hilarious twist.
>>
>>744032
kek
>>
>>743944
Damn that looks comfy as hell.
>>744032
But what about mgtow? :^)

>>744192
Wait, what? That footage got released? I'm assuming you're referring to that bearfag and his gf getting rekt.
>>
>>744192
>>744781
Imagine this;
>You're an 18 year old kid
>Life's comfortable but a bit boring
>One day you see a video of a grizzly cub in Alaska
>You think "Fuck, I'd love to chill with some grizzly bears"
>You forget, fuck around for a few years, and then remember
>"Why aren't I living the dream, hanging with bears" you ask yourself
>Decide fuck it, I'm a grown ass man, I can do whatever I want
>And so exactly 28 years later that grizzly cub mauls the shit out of you and you're waifu.
>>
>>744781
there's no footage anon. they just talk about it inna grizzy man documennary is all. also there's a fake recording that's been circulating but it's a fake.
>>
>>744793
I did some research and yeah, found out it was a fake. The transcript tells part of what happened.
I'm morbidly curious to hear that six minutes of audio.
It's weird that it turned on while still in the bag...2spooky.
One day it might get leaked if that lady decides to maybe let another documentary filmer to hear it (she said she'll never let it be included) and a secret copy is made and "accidentally" leaked
Until then the wait will be unbearable.
Ironic, a grizzly death by a grizzly bear.
>>
>>744813

>grizzly death

Better than a gruesome death by a grue.
>>
>>744813
Genuinely curious. what proof do you have that the audio on YouTube is fake?

I also highly doubt she has the only copy. I'm sure it's also in some evidence room somewhere in Alaska.
>>
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (2010)
>>
>>744791
I can totally understand that some crazy feller would want to go commit soduko by living in bear country, but can not conceive how did he found a waifu, and one that was crazy enough as to follow him.

>>745210
Is it fun to watch?
>>
>>744936
if you read about the incident the police relinquished the recording to his ex after the investigation completed, having not copied it (according to them). it was said to be the only copy which she had in a safe deposit box. i've even read that it's believed she destroyed it to triple-ensure nobody would get their hands on it and publish it for public entertainment

herzog suggested she destroy it as well, for that reason. we have no proof of anything, but it sounds like the utmost care was taken to NOT allow the recording to be copied, shared, or released.

also that recording on ütube sounds kinda fake to me, but idunno
>>
RED GREEN
>>
>>745210
>besides werner herzog
>>
>>743944
what are the best /out/ herzog films. Happy People?
>>
>>745264
grizzly man
happy people
encounters at the end of the earth
rescue dawn
aguirre
>>
Legends of the fall
>>
>>745328
That film got me into fishing. Bretty good
>>
>>745240

What's the name of the guy / film you're referring to? Sounds interdasting.
>>
>>745246

BLUE
>>
>>744032
What about Wild with Reese Witherspoon?
>>
>>745483
Are you thinking of A River runs through it, the other early 90s movie featuring Brad Pitt growing up in the Rockies? Cause legends didnt have any fishing. Also a good out movie though
>>
Is deliverance /out/ approved?
>>
>>745544
lol yes. A river runs through it is the film. Thanks for reminding me. I recommend it to you all.
>>
>>745550
That movie is the real fucking shit.

>>745534
Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog. I forget the guy's name but it's a documennary about a looney who hangs-out with bears against all common sense.
>>
>>745568
Bearfag was Timothy Treadwell
And he definitely had mental health issues.
>>
Jeremiah Johnson is pretty good.
>>
>>745246
All that duct tape
>>
>>745568
>>745620

Thanks anons. Just watched the trailer, guy seems like a massive faggot. Kept talking about how "I'M PROTECTING THESE BEARS!" ...from fucking what exactly? He seems about half a step away from being a furry.
>>
File: 1200.jpg (85 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
85 KB, 1200x675
>>745795
he's a schizo and an outsider and the documentary certainly doesn't portray him any differently. herzog's own opinion is that treadwell was completely disillusioned. the film also works with an interesting tension in that you know he is going to die and it keeps showing his footage he recorded while out there alone with the bears. it gives a great sense of impending danger and vulnerability to every scene. you are kind of waiting the whole time for one of the bears in the background to move in on him.

it's still very interesting. he grows on you as you watch it. he might remind you of somebody you knew at age 10 or 11. a loner, a compulsive liar, big ego, big ideas, stuck in his own little world and completely oblivious. it's pretty a pretty sad human story and the alaskan wild is beautiful. take it or leave it i guess.

>He seems about half a step away from being a furry.
well he does want to become a bear ... i guess unfortunate for him he never discovered deviantart. he might still be alive if he had
>>
>>745824
>disillusioned
delusional, sorry
...low on sleep
>>
>>745261
I don't know who that is, nor do I care.
>>
>>745267
>not fitzcarraldo
>>
The Hunter with Willem Dafoe
>>
>>745830
the guy who made the film you reccomended dummy
>>
>>745824
>well he does want to become a bear ... i guess unfortunate for him he never discovered deviantart. he might still be alive if he had

Really interesting thoughts and then... kek
>>
File: sorcerer.jpg (100 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
sorcerer.jpg
100 KB, 680x478
>>745834
That movie is unsane. it's right up there with Sorcerer, 'Pocalypse Now, Deliverance, and Jaws. These films have to be seen because they don't make them like that anymore. When the filmmakers for real take the risks that are in the script, instead of faking it all, a whole different kind of movie emerges. Imagine how gutwrentching a movie like Titanic would have been if it wasn't so much hollywood fluff
>>
>>745841

its a fucking series dummy. werner herzog ripped that shit off and condensed it into a 2 hour long documentary. its actually 5 hours.
>>
Taiga by Ulrike Ottinger, it's a 8 1/2 hours long and offers a lot of information.
>>
File: night-to-remember-sinking.jpg (105 KB, 1568x840) Image search: [Google]
night-to-remember-sinking.jpg
105 KB, 1568x840
>>745908
>Imagine how gutwrentching a movie like Titanic would have been if it wasn't so much hollywood fluff
watch A Night to Remember
sure the effects aren't as great as it's a '50s movie and they didn't know the details of how the ship sank, but it's tense drama
also, The Wages of Fear is a lot better than Sorcerer
>>
>>746531
>Wages of Fear is a lot better than Sorcerer
it's not a lot better. it's better because it's the classic but it's very dated and way less tense, imho famalamigliadingdongaroo
>>
>>745246
If you can't be handsome you can at least be handy.
>>
_Meru_, 2015.

Less /out/ and more ... I dunno, /fit?, is _Bicycle Dreams_, 2009, which is like _Meru_ but horizontal.
>>
>>745908
>they literally towed the ship trough the mountain while filming fitzcarraldo
In the real events the ship was smaller and was towed in pieces to the other side. Damn, Herzog...
>>
>>746702
i felt quite the opposite.
i liked the mysterious characters for The Wages of Fear and found it to be a lot more tense.
while i thought Sorcerer was really cheesy and had a lot of useless silly subplots and I disliked the fact that it victimized the characters, especially Roy Schneider's character.
but that's just my opinion
>>
>>746311

It's opposite day in your head, nigger.

>It was the other way around
>>
>>746719

Wtf is _this_ shit? Is *this* how *_reddit_* does shit?

>[b][u]You're not in Kansas any more[/u][/b]

N̗̩̜̲̱͈E̩̗̗̩̩̻̔̂̄̓W͔͚̹͈F̙͈͋͒A̭̎ͦ̄̈ͦĞ͕̱̼͍̽̒̔̄̆͛ͅ
>>
>>747232
No idea whether Reddit does that. I did it to indicate that it is the name of a work. Thanks for asking.
>>
>>747232
Indicating a title with underline and not apostrophes or italics

you take me back, anon- to middle school English and bibliographies for research in university, the only two places I have ever seen underlining words designate something a title.
>>
The grey
Into the wild
>>
>>745543
Hate to be one of those "the book was better" people but the book was better. So much back story and internal dialog that was important for the story had to be left out of the movie. Plus Reese was too old to play the character. Cheryl Strayed was 22 when she hiked the PCT while Reese was 38. Beyond the age issue, the film was probably as good as a film adaption could have been. The book simply was primarily about things that are difficult to film.
>>
>>745795
>Talking about something he hasn't watched.

Watch it or shut the fuck up. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>748398

Watched it last night, nigger, and I stand by what I said. Except now I would add that I think he was mentally ill and had an emotional age that ranged from about 6 to 14.

Are you seriously going to defend what that faggot was doing? Kek

Dis gon be gud
>>
>>748398

>Just watched the trailer
>something he hasn't watched

Do you see how retarded you are? What the fuck is wrong with you that makes you so angry? He was talking about the trailer, dipshit.

Anyway that bearfaggot got what he deserved (and probably wanted)
>>
>>748410
You spouted out your hot opinion before you see the movie. I stand by what I said.

Also am nor was I in no way defending the guys actions depicted in the film, nor was I implying it. Get some reading comprehension
>>
>>748412
>pulling assumptions about the guy by the 3 min or so clip
>basically judging a book by what's written on the envelope.

You are the retard if you don't see a problem with people judging shit they haven't actually watched.
>>
>>748427

>Get some reading comprehension

Kek that's exactly what you need champ
>>
>>748430

He was judging the clip, you child. I think you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

Why are you so twitchy about this, faggot?

>Because he's right
>>
>>748442
>>748445
Kill yourself. Also samefag a little harder, next time, kiddo
>>
>>748448

>samefagging

Fuck off you newfag idiot. Shake the salt out of your arsehole somewhere else.
>>
>>748410
>>748412
>>748442
>>748445
>>748457
Whatever you say, faggot
>>
File: smeglord.jpg (63 KB, 438x203) Image search: [Google]
smeglord.jpg
63 KB, 438x203
>>748463

GENIUS
>>
>>748079
>Hate to be one of those "the book was better" people

Why? Because that's correct, the book is always better.

The only 'good' films are the ones based on books, and they are always inferior to the book.

Films are shit.
>>
>>747227
>>745261
>>745841
Dmitry Vasyukov made "Happy People."

http://vasyukov.net/
>>
>>748412
>Anyway that bearfaggot got what he deserved (and probably wanted)

I learned that getting eaten is a fetish on /b/
Forgot the name of it. Although getting eaten alive I'm not sure was part of the deal.
>>748498
I think the reason books are "always better" is because more time can be spent telling a story. In addition a book requires that you use your imagination. And your imagination's vision will never match the movie.
N
>>
File: 1461083489426.jpg (35 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
1461083489426.jpg
35 KB, 636x636
>>744032
>>
>>749937
Holy shit. Is that the short angry guy that tries to fight? There's a webm showing that. The guy looks retarded too. Not downy but small head, not quite a pinhead.
>>
>>750101
>>749937
Sauce?
>>
File: the grey.jpg (482 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
the grey.jpg
482 KB, 960x1440
>>743944
>pic related
>>
>>743944
Normalfag here
Wild
Tracks
Into the wild
The way back
A walk in the woods
The amazing panda adventure
Big river man
Kon tiki
How I ended this Summer
The edge
>>
>>743944
Timothy Treadwell's Big Bear Excusrsion to Alaska.

It what I imagine these people >>744032 are like. Granted I am assuming this was not said seriously.
>>
The Little Panda Fighter
>>
>>745240
Yeah the scene in which Herzog listens to it, as well as the preceding scene with the coroner, is a fantastic scene but very disturbing. You can really feel how disturbed Herzog was by the audio. I think the entertainment aspect of it was a reason to have it destroyed but I believe that Herzog suggested it to be destroyed primarily because of its disturbing nature and that it would always be something that would linger in the mind of his ex, jewel.
>>
>>744936
>>745240

There is a good summary of it on the wikipedia page for Timothy Treadwell:

A video camera was recovered at the site which proved to have been operating during the attack, but police said that the six-minute tape was blank; only the sound of their agonized cries as a brown bear mauled the couple to death was recorded.[12] That the tape contained only sound led troopers to believe the attack might have happened while the camera was stuffed in a duffel bag or during the dark of night. In Grizzly Man,[2] filmmaker Herzog claims that the lens cap of the camera was left on, suggesting that Treadwell and Huguenard were in the process of setting up for another video sequence when the attack happened. The camera had been turned on just before the attack, presumably by Huguenard, but the camera recorded only six minutes of audio before running out of tape. This, however, was enough time to record the bear's initial attack on Treadwell and his agonized screams, its retreat when Huguenard attacked it, its return to carry Treadwell off into the forest, and Huguenard's screams of horror as she is left alone.[11]

The final sentence is what gets me. His girlfriend was not killed while the audio was still recording but she did witness him getting mauled, his scalp being torn apart and his body being crushed and lacerated and dragged off into the woods. For a moment she was left alone at that camp site, in an unknown wilderness where wherever she ran there was no refuge from the numerous hungry grizzly bears that roamed the nearby river and shore in search of food. I think she would've realized that there was no where she could hide and that she was truly alone. To me, just thinking about that is a glimpse of true terror.
>>
File: 10.jpg (25 KB, 480x254) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
25 KB, 480x254
White Water Summer mein negroes

https://youtu.be/_QBmRr7h7Fw
>>
>>755080
Intense, so intense.

I wonder what he thought as he died.
>oh noes, I was an idiot all along and it's too late to avoid my grizzly death

Five bucks says he was a furry with a bear suit
>>
>>755487

My guess is confusion as he finally realised that bears aren't cuddly wuddly midunderstood fluffers, but rather wild animals that don't give a fuck how you feel about them, and will savage you if they need food.
>>
>>755487
>>755546
It is stated by both friends and critics that he was seeking out death constantly, he remarked in his final journal entry that his girlfriend said he was on a course of self-destruction. Some of his friends speculated that the drama of death would've elevated his 'cause' into the public conscious and in a way solidify his persona. I think his persona and the construction of a myth around it is one of the things Herzog points towards with his film, that his death was essential to establishing the grandiose mythical personality Treadwell desired. In a way the fact that Herzog made a documentary about someone who was in reality nothing more than an impoverished and delusional narcissist is a testament to that fact.
I think that this film is not a celebration of nature but an attempt to contrast differing views humans have towards it through the lens of a personality as extreme as Treadwell's. On the one hand we have Treadwell's naive view of nature which he see's utterly good but is constantly confronted with the difficult facts of natures cruelty and indifference to suffering which he dismisses out right or deflects it onto something else, typically man and civilization. Herzog's view of nature is a theme that recurs throughout his work, that nature is not harmonious but a chaotic and relentless force of constant death and fornication. The movie delves into deeper psychological and philosophical investigations that exceed these limited boundaries but nonetheless I think that Herzog and Treadwell's viewpoints provide a means to see the way in which the other characters in the film relate to nature.
>>
>>755703
tl;dr
He was a nutty, over zealous martyr.
>>
Into the wild,
changed my life
>>
>>
83 responses and no Paddle to Seattle? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5f9SUvo60
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.