[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, why do we hate these things again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 28
So, why do we hate these things again?
>>
>>743929
Because they mark the trail above the tree line and navigational aids are for hipsters, liberals and faggots.
>>
>>743929

For me the original ones, as the one in your pic are perfectly fine. Your pic is from Iceland (pretty sure, eastern fjords) where there are no trees or such and messengers in old time used these to orientate through the vast lava- and snowfields, along the fjords and vasteness of the country. They are old and well made.

The faggy new made hipster cairns are ugly and annoying. Those can and should be destroyed. The Icelanders do so all the time with the ones made by tourists.
>>
We don't hate them, we just love kicking them.
>>
>>743936
+1. I'm a big fan, it gives me something to kick over when there aren't any geocaches nearby to shit in.
>>
>>743935
>vastness
>iceland
you were going so well too
>>
>>744000
Pissed on a geocache by accident one time. Didn't even notice it. Who would hide a geocache at the base of a tree?
>>
>>744027
>pissing on a tree

Trees are not urinals.
>>
>>744027
That was a native burial and you pissed on it.

Dam son. Enjoy your poltergeist
>>
>>743929
Because they serve no purpose, as in if you need fucking trail markers don't even hike.

They just look out of place in the landscape, literal effigies of human interference. Some people seek solace and solitude in the wilderness, which is pretty hard to do if hipster cunts leave piles of stacked shit around every corner.

As >>743935 said though, the original ones are perfectly fine.
>>
Wait is that one of those things that produce hot water from the top, or is it just a pile of rocks so that
people have a trail to follow if it gets cloudy or dark?
>>
>>744176
>as in if you need fucking trail markers don't even hike.
Fucking what?
Sure you don't """need""" trail markers but it's nice to be able to more easily follow a trail.
>>
>>744182
Personal opinion, but I sure as hell don't want to see a cairn every 100 meters. I just want to walk undisturbed without a constant reminder that someone has been there before me.

To be honest I just really think they're vain as fuck. Again, the original well-built cairns are perfectly fine and acceptable as monumental landmark.
>>
>>744184
When you are in the mountains they are very usefull. Don't know what are those hipster cairns tho. Never seen one.
>>
>>744000
Exquisitely meme'd my friend. Also check'd
>>
I get that they're a bit of an eyesore, but when vis is extremely low, it can be extremely comforting to see a series of these along your bearings.
>>
>>743930
>navigational aids are for hipsters
So you don't use any navigational aids? compass, GPS, maps, trail flags, light houses, moss, stars, the moon, the sun, a sextant, buoys, or even cairns?
>>
>>744176
>Because they serve no purpose
>>744184
>I just want to walk undisturbed without a constant reminder that someone has been there before me
It's funny how people notice trail markers, but not erosion and damage caused by poorly marked trails
They are especially important above the tree line where blazes don't work. They keep the bulk of the traffic in a narrow corridor and off of sensitive plants and soil crust communities that are easily ruined and take decades or even centuries to regrow

Except for the arctic, everywhere you go someone has been there before, and fucked it up.
>>
File: Iceland.png (22 KB, 2500x1800) Image search: [Google]
Iceland.png
22 KB, 2500x1800
>>743929
i recognize those rocks
>>
Leave nothing but footprints. unless you do it over 500 years ago, then you can leave whatever you want, that's really cool.
Also, stop leaving footprints. that shit sucks too.
>>
>>743929
it's the only meme /out/ really has, and people cling to it like a drowning man to a barrel
>>
File: ' (246).jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
' (246).jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>743929
I just make small ones
>>
File: 123fdaf.jpg (2 KB, 241x160) Image search: [Google]
123fdaf.jpg
2 KB, 241x160
idk, they help me a ton when its super cloudy or rainy on the summits of mountains and i can't see.
>>
>>743929
I saw a house in town with cairns on either side of the walk way leading to the house. I never cared about cairns before going on /out/. Now I want to go back there and kick them all over their yard.
>>
>everyone who explores or hikes is a seasoned veteran and knows every path by memory

Holy shit millenials think about someone who isn't you for 2 seconds
>>
>>744674
>not shitting in rivers

I thought the big issue with them was possible ruining of navigation. Just having them willy nilly could confuse you, especially in bad weather conditions.
>>
>>744770
Dude what?
Ruining navigation? That's literally the exact opposite of what they're made fro and what they do.
>>
>>744773
Theoretically you can have something like this:
>Have a sign marking a trail
>Dumb millennial sees sign
>Dumb millennial decides to make their own sign
>Dumb Millennial's sign points in a completely different direction from the actual path

Is that the effect of every bullshit cairn people erect? No, but its a possible one. Honestly my gripe with people throwing up cairns has always been when people go around digging up rocks to put in their cairn, beating up the landscape and erecting a piece of shit becuz lol making a monument to nature or whatever bullshit reasons they have.

The only reason for a cairn to exist should be to mark trails which would otherwise be difficult to follow. For example in a place like the high sierras you have some trails which go across the top of solid granite outcroppings. A cairn is the easiest and most effective way to mark a path between where the trail goes from an easy to follow dirt path to rock and vice versa
>>
File: 1423761395264.jpg (47 KB, 620x347) Image search: [Google]
1423761395264.jpg
47 KB, 620x347
>>744773
That is my point. That there are legitimate cairns being obfuscated by ones people are making just to make them. The ones that serve no purpose other than the amusement of some chucklefucks.
>>
>>744196
Faggot casuals will hike well established trails and make stacks of three or for rocks so that they have the social benefit of saying "muh I'm helping other hikers, aren't I such a good outdoorsman???"
>>
>>744821
>Faggot casuals
>not knowing the difference between trail ducks and cairns
Who casual now?
>>
>>744823
I never said I wasn't a casual. I'm just not a faggot casual.
>>
File: DSCN9205.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9205.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Reminds me I should go check and see if cairnbro made it through the winter.
>>
>>744838
kek I like this
>>
>>744154
Neither are they geocaches
>>
>>744853
But they are though
>>
>>744882
Kek
>>
>>744820
Enjoy your burning tent.
>>
File: cairn.jpg (300 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
cairn.jpg
300 KB, 500x667
>>744496
>pic related
>"trail marker"
The cairns I'm talking about are in no way official or even built with the purpose of being there in the long term. They're just effigies of fucking vanity, but I assume you realise that.

These are just stacks of stones built by some hippie either for muh meditation or a picture on instagram. It literally won't survive the next storm nine out of ten times.

I sure as hell will kick it over when I see it.

Again, monumental cairns (along with actual decent trail markers as in purposeful and long-term) are fine, yeah.
>>
>>744177
Trail marker
>>
>>745177
>no way official
>monumental
And you are obviously trained in being able to tell the difference.
>>
I saw one today as a marking to where caves are.

stack of instagram rocks

It was right beside A BRIGHT ORANGE RIBBON AROUND A TREE

I gave it a massive boot
>>
>>745441
oooooh
big tough internet man beat up a pile of rocks.
uh oh, better look out innawoods.
>>
>>745596
Give anon a break, that's dangerous stuff. No one likes to stub a toe.
And if you don't Treadwell you might end up with a grizzly injury.
>>
>>744674
i would bodyslam the shit out of you
>>
>>745383
>having to be ~trained~ to recognise pic related as not belonging

holy shit mate wow

Go outside for a change.
>>
File: MountainPondDayPixel.gif (558 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
MountainPondDayPixel.gif
558 KB, 500x475
Because lots of Jr. High and High Schoolers think it's cool.
>>
>>744753
If you were born between 1982 and 2004, you are a millennial.
>>
>>744683
For what purpose? To show the next guy that this is a touring route? Do you also write your name on tables or carve "Anon wuz here" into wood?
>>
>>743930
Yeah cuz knowing where ya is is so fucken sterpid
>>
>>745823
:-( born 1982.
>>
File: IMG_2409.jpg (1024 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2409.jpg
1024 KB, 3456x2304
>>743929
There is difference between navigational cairns and hipstery stacked rocks faggots leave everywhere along more popular roads so they can make spiritual instagram photos and slap comic sans quote on it...

For example abomination in pic related... took it in High tatras, we were hiking through empty riverbed... 10/10 scenery...except every fucking five meters there were tiny cairns. You can't even make decent photo without having them in the shot.

Also it's real fun kick these useless shits down...
>>
Its nice and relaxing to build one, though i never did so on a trail. Usually just some place i often visit.
>>
>>745823
early 1960's bitches
Yeah, cairns weren't a meme and were actually important
>>
>>743929
They are made by entitled cunts who want to leave their mark on the world.
>>
>>745845
Yes.
>>
>>746119
I want to believe.
>>
>>743929
Leave no trace
>>
>>745791
Nice gif
>>745823
85 but I feel like I'm in the better section of the Millennials. Fuck those younger shitheads. 90's were an awesome decade to grow up in for so many reasons.

>saw the fall of the Soviet Union
>saw the fall of the Berlin Wall
>grew up playing /out/side
>dawn of the internet (but we stuck a balance of not always being on it)
>Slick Willy as prez
>before 9/11 bullshit (I'm aware of the world trade center attacks before but the world forever changed that day)
>pre Columbine anti bully faggotry
>GOLDENEYE64 NO ODD JOB YOU ASSHOLE

/rant
>>
>>746116
Honestly, I think that's actually ok.
>>
>>744176
I'd love to see you hike across the Presidential range of the Whites during bad weather with just your "wits"

Have fun getting lost and tumbling off a
>>
File: a.png (4 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
a.png
4 KB, 400x400
>>746498
>>
>>745845
>Anon unironnicaly getting mad at a small pile of rock

Only purpose is passing time
>>
>>746516
>why did you carve in that tree?
>just passing time bro

>why did you start that huge fucking fire?
>just passing time bro

>why did you gas the jews?
>passing time man come on

Implying 'passing time' is an excuse for anything. You can't be excused for being unable to give a proper reason. Doing this is literally no different than an autistic child shoving sticks up its ass just because it thinks it's fun.

And yeah, I'm mad as shit
>>
>/out/ with buddy
>stop for lunch
>buddy makes a few small cairns

Thank god I am not a goddam autist and didnt give af.
>>
>>746516
So you're mentally dull then?
>>
>>746788
Do you really assume the term 'autist' and going /out/ can be put into any relation?
>>
>>746788
>you stop for lunch
>buddy starts building random cairns

>you stop for lunch
>buddy starts playing with mud

>you stop for lunch
>buddy starts arranging sticks in patterns ranging from shortest to longest

>t-t-t-thank god i no goddam autist h-h-heh
>>
>>746825
mate...your vagina is showing
>>
>>746814
>>746825
I stand corrected.
>>
>>746917
You should go fuck yourself.
>>
>>746825
>>
>>745785
I work search and rescue on a mountain you idiot. I spend a fair amount of time outside. These cairns are trail markers and when idiots kick them over I have to go in and find their asses and save them. You fucktards have no idea how your meme is affecting others.
>>
>>747103
Cairn kickers keep you in business.
>>
>>744396

Cairns are navigational aids yes, but just because some hipster faggot made a rock statue doesn't mean that it is a cairn.
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1024x768
Navigational cairns are obviously different than these lame ass fagstacks. Fagstack defenders gtfo
>>
i assumed the issue was obscure hipsters making these as markers when there already are bright orange markers.

"like omg carri, like i really want a good selfie shot here for instragram, but i want the trail to loook moore, like, mystical"

"omg lets like make our own trail marker you know, we would be like totally helping people"

"omg carri youre so considerate and it looks waay cooler than these orange reflectors- so gross"
>>
>>744184
>without a constant reminder that someone has been there before me

And then you go on to call something else vain as fuck.

Do you really think your gf was a virgin when she met you?
>>
>>747161
>Do you really think your gf was a virgin when she met you?

Chad assured him she was, no need to worry.
>>
>>747039
you should go kick some rocks
>>
File: O4zn23d.jpg (103 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
O4zn23d.jpg
103 KB, 768x1024
>>747172
I LOVE KICKING ROCKS

FUCK THE CAIRN LOVERS
>>
>>746825
Kek. This.
>>
>>747172
I'd like to kick your teeth.
>>
>>747136
holy shit did you take this? This is worse than any I've ever seen. Like what the fuck, did the girl scouts have a meditation seminar there?
>>
>>747161
>wanting to see nature untouched = vain
>hhheh yo think your gilfren virgin huh??

How is highschool treating you?
>>
>>747136
Alright I'm normally really not easy to upset but these deserve to be kicked over. Jesus Christ. Way to ruin a space.
>>
>>747161
Go back to your organized tourist routes, faggot.
>>
Literally 15 minutes ago I got into a confrontation after kicking over a bunch of cairns.
I was on my MTB for the first time this year, heading down a bit of single track that goes past my house.
There is a rock about 3 ft wide which the path forks around. On a bike you either have to ride over it or hop off as either side is too narrow and deep to ride without grounding.
Problem is the rock is covered in cairns, not even clever ones either, I'm talking really flat rocks stacked 3 high.
I shoveled them off with my foot but as I look down the track there is a guy and 2 kids staring at me about 30 yards away.
As I get closer I see he has this look of disbelief on his face, he swung his arm out so I stopped.
He asked me how old I was several times, tells me his kids are more mature than that. I'm really not a people person so said nothing, awkwardly shrugged and rode off. I hear him say "just grow up mate" as I ride away.
I wish I had said something clever, piling rocks in the middle of one of the busiest MTB trails in the area is a really dumb thing to do.
>>
>>747136
Fucking weeders made those. I hate fucking weeders.
>>
>>747441
>MTB
good, take your noise polluting POS elsewhere. It doesn't belong in my /out/
>>
Tbh I would probably kick down any cairns that I see, because yeah I don't want to go /out/ to see a bunch of distracting rocks stacked all over the place. But if it's clearly built as a trail marker and more substantial with a sturdy construction I wouldn't touch it.

But if yall hate cairns I don't get why you don't also dislike trail ribbons. Those are much more distracting from nature, so I sometimes rip those down. If you really can't follow a well-worn trail in the woods then you shouldn't be out. And obviously I wouldn't rip down trail markers in areas where the path isn't so obvious.
>>
File: mtb_fgt_cat_v2.gif (44 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
mtb_fgt_cat_v2.gif
44 KB, 340x340
>>747489
is this cheap bait or just retardation?
>>
>/out/ - rock kickers
>>
>>747489
>MTB
>noise polluting
Wew lad
>>
>>745596
Don't know why I'm so tickled by this post. Keksimus
>>
>>747516
I think hes genuinely retarded and thinks >>747441 is talking about a motocross or something.
>>
>>747362
>>747359

>grown adults pretending they are Lewis and Clark telling others to grow up.

Probably dream about fucking twelve year olds too.
>>
>>747548
Why is it when you do'nt agree with someone they are retarded?
Is it possible you're retarded? Or autistic? Or possibily socially inept? Or maybe just an asshole.
F*ing MTB'ers grunting and crashing through my peaceful woods is noise pollution. Nowhere was there any indicatation by me I was referring to moto-x.
>>
>>747566

I bet you wear oil product, trail shredding boots. Faggot things like that don't belong in my /out/
>>
>>747566
>grunting and crashing
oh lawd you must be shrooming
>>
>>747589

More like he heard s-e-x and that's the only thing his mind could connect to.
>>
>>747558
>i can't come up with any shit that renders your argument void and null
>y-y-y-you probably dream about twelve year olds h-h-heh

You're what's wrong with the world. How is highschool treating you?
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 530x587) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 530x587
I liking spending 20 minutes or so building a nice intricate fagstack and then I walk down the trail a few yards and hide behind a bush and wait for hipster millenials to come up the trail and stop to admire my "cairn" and then I come up from behind them, walk right up to my work of art and angrily and violently kick it over and tip my smokey the bear hat to them and say "only you can prevent an over-abundance of fraudulent cairns, mates" and be on my way.
>>
>>746486
>>saw the fall of the Soviet Union
>>saw the fall of the Berlin Wall
No you didn't you double nigger. I was born in '95 and just as old as you were when the Berlin Wall fell during 9/11. And all I remember was my mother getting a phone call about it. Everything else just passed me right by.
>>
File: 130719130758.jpg (26 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
130719130758.jpg
26 KB, 600x582
>>747665
but i don't believe you've done this once
>>
>>747669
You must've witnessed Hitler's Berlin Wall coming down dude
>>
>>747669
>when the Berlin Wall fell
Correction, when the USSR was dissolved in 1991. The Wall fell in '89.
>>
>>747672
The more I am on this board, the more I see you are all a bunch of naive newfags to 4chan.
>>
>>747672
I've actually three times minus the smokey the bear hat. It's great fun to do on a local hike in my area that is over run by faggot hipsters during the summer. Some of them threatened to call the police on me for vandalism even though we were out of cell phone coverage. I hike up the trail early before the crowds get there and then harass faggots on my way down.
>>
>>747682
that doesn't count as vandalism. it's a shame they didn't call the cops because they would have kicked over what was left of their stupid cai'ns and callled them faguts

>>747677
who's really the naive one anon.
>>
>>747686
Yeah they felt that I had violated their safe space by getting violent on a pile of rocks in their presence. I just smiled and laughed at them
>>
>>746757
Top kek, just kick it if you want I don't give a fuck but comparing this to carving a tree or starting a fire is retarded. Also I live in Europe, people aren't as obsessed with "muh wilderness and 110% untouched nature" as most Yanks
>>
>>747558
>There's no real untouched nature anyway, lets just fuck up whats left, idgaf

Fuck off, you human waste of space.
>>
>>747682
Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>747441
Better watch out for sticks in the spokes. I've laid in wait and dealt with your type before. Can you say "face plant"?
>>
>>747669
>I was born in '95
so you must have been too....
How fucking stupid is this kid thinking everyone here is 20ish?
>>
>>747682
Internet bad boy detected. Stay clear of this one, he's gonna mess you up.
>>
>>747712
Europe here as well. I don't want to see your fucking litter whether it's plastic, carvings, stacks of stones, fire pits or sticks and vine. Clean the fuck up after yourself, you mongoloid.

Obviously you do give a fuck because your ass took the time to respond, but hey, whatever floats your boat man.
>>
>>747623

>declares own argument true without basis
>the ol' high school argument.
>a trip crying about vanity

Is the Socrates thing ironic and you're just a shitposter?
>>
>>747623

>not getting the joke
>>
>>747818
>nuhhh you declare argument true without basis!!!!
>still hasn't explained why he thinks wanting to see nature untouched is vain

All this vocal diarrhea
>>
>>747821
>vocal diarrhea
>vocal
>on an online image board

Christ, you are sad.
>>
>>747824
>being this autistic

Please put a trip on so I can filter your posts
>>
>>747809
The "I don't give a fuck" part was linked to the "kick it if you want" lad. Obviously I do give a fuck about checking a thread I posted in, why, is it in your habit to post something and never come back ?
>>
>>747826
>put a trip on

Sorry but not all of us feel the need to be recognized on an anonymous board, "Socrates"
>>
>>747829
>missing the point in every single post
>nitpicking the use of words and not the points made
>derailing this entire thing into a shit-flinging contest

Swinging and a missing, boss.
>>
>>747831
I'm not the same guy tho, I just dislike namefags and this thread is already derailled anyway so I regret nothing
>>
>>747831
Kek, that wasn't even the guy you were talking to, moron.

You can call all the names you want, but I'm not the one staying up into the night to cry online that others are having fun /out/ and ruining my last man on earth fantasies.
>>
How do you define irony?

Is it a trip decrying vanity?
>>
>>747836
>"I am angry because you've filled something in the name field"

well no regrets here either m8

>>747838
>ruining my last man on earth fantasies

LNT =/= muh last man on earth. Nice projecting though.
>>
Dumping actual nice cairns.
>>
File: svartkamp_26cairn.jpg (494 KB, 1616x1024) Image search: [Google]
svartkamp_26cairn.jpg
494 KB, 1616x1024
>>
File: christineshepherd28.jpg (34 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
christineshepherd28.jpg
34 KB, 400x300
>>
File: 20040221l.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
20040221l.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>
Interesting fact. An old custom was that everyone that walked past a cairn was to put a stone on it, so that it wouldn't diminish over time.

This might not have applied to the really nicely stacked ones in this thread. But not every cairn was that well built.
>>
>>747712
They should though. And you should go fuck yourself if you defend shit like this >>747136
>>
>>747513
So do you also consider the weather conditions when you rip those out? Or are you just an asshole that's unaware he's putting others in danger?
>inb4 I'm absolutely experienced and can tell if theres fog and snow at other times wherever I go
>>
>>747589
>>747548
German here. Mountain bikers are a pest here. They ruin forests even and complain when you don't step aside when you come across them. And yes, they're fucking loud and noisy on top.
>>
>>747882
>>747531
>>747103
These
>>747846 >>747848 >>747849 >>747851 >>747854 are absolutely justified and fine and noone in their right mind would destroy them (I hope). I'm sorry if you guys don't see the difference between those and these >>747136
>>746097 >>745177 >>744683 , because these are just "Josh and J wuz here, look at us XD" messages by immature faggots or wannabe artists. And those fucking irl memers need to be told off as well to be frank.
>>
>>747136
>>746097
>>744683

>Leave What You Find
>Do not damage, deface, or remove natural objects or cultural artifacts. Leave them for others to enjoy. Don't build structures, dig trenches or alter natural features.
>>
File: idiot.png (167 KB, 775x791) Image search: [Google]
idiot.png
167 KB, 775x791
>>747103
see
>>748341

I find it hard to believe you work S&R if you identify >>745177 as a legit trail marker.
>>
>>748406
Also, for those who have difficulty reading, or just don't want to

>"[cairns] mark trails and guide hikers above the tree line and in other barren areas"
>also don't fucking build unauthorized cairns
>pic related was in the middle of a fucking lake clearly below treeline

>b-b-but i work s&r guyse
>>
Think of cairns in the same way you'd think of initials carved in a tree.
>>
>>745383
It's easy to recognize the difference: if you can kick it over, it's not "official".

>>746097
For the life of me I could never figure out who has the TIME to waste shit like this.
>>
>>747132
Who gets to decide if a cairn is useful or not... you?!

>>747136
Agreed, this is new age hippies fag shit, but I still wouldn't kick them over, unless they were blocking the trail or a danger to travellers, and even then I would try to do as little as possible, because there's always the off chance that this is someone's place of religious significance, and you wouldn't go into a church or temple and start kicking the fuck out of it just because you didn't like the building style.
>>
>>748419
>that this is someone's place of religious significance
>referring to that pic
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>748419
You also wouldn't go into a church or temple and start piling up the books and statues and rearrange shit, would you? Because that is what these faggots are doing. Now go and fuck off.
>>
>>748419
>Who gets to decide if a cairn is useful or not... you?!
Are you dumb? Or just illiterate?
>>
>>747566
You can swear in internet anon, even if you are twelve.
>>
>>748341
No one is going to read these multi quotation post you fuck.
>>
>>748443
>he doesn't use the image hover function

How's your visit to 4chans treating you so far, faggot?
>>
>>748458
image hover has nothing to do with it,it is just annoying when you check what someone has responded to a post and it is same post every image.
>>
>>748465
>it is just annoying when you check what someone has responded to a post and it is same post every image
What?
>>
File: fa go t.png (43 KB, 1621x730) Image search: [Google]
fa go t.png
43 KB, 1621x730
>>748341
>>748338
>>748337
>>748334
>>747882
agreed

>>748409
>>748416
>>748418
>>748419
should we all start post like this?
>>
>>748419
>claiming random rocky spots on public lands for muh religious significance, and stacking shit up high
>"you wouldn't go into a church or temple and start kicking the fuck out of it just because you didn't like the building style"

Neither would I go in your backyard and stack up your random shit to claim it as my own. Your analogy sucks and you should feel bad. Also >>748436 .

Also, cairns are not judged by arbitrary "usefulness". Unofficial cairns are legitimately dangerous and have potential for leading people off-trail.

Now please sod off with your new age religious bullshit.
>>
>>743929
because it's trending now.
>>
>>747589
>>747603
Kek. I'm imaging this now.
[Grunting intensifies]

>>747665
I'd enjoy witnessing this

>>747669
I didn't watch the shit on the damn news but I remember growing up and hearing about it. This was a huge deal, the world changed I in a big way. Instead of threats of Russian aggression Clinton got trashed with Yeltsin.
Putin had to ruin it.
>>
>>748337
You can tell the difference between an Instagram one and a utilitarian one.
One is designed to hold up over time the other is "pretty"

>>748418
>if you can kick it over, it's not "official".

This
>>
Unless it serves an actual purpose don't move shit around. You're literally destroying micro-habitat. Looks like a few dozens rocks to you, but that's a few dozen places for salamanders to hide, for bears to find grubs, etc.

Remember your Leave No Trace practices!
>>
File: 1442283541427.jpg (92 KB, 640x622) Image search: [Google]
1442283541427.jpg
92 KB, 640x622
>>747669
>>
>>749162
> that pic

I kek er tiem
>>
They can be cool.
This guy was doing this at Lake Constance in Germany, near where I live.
However, it's not just piling stones on top of each other like many copy cats, but balancing them.
Tune in with nature.
I would never kick them over, nor should anyone else.
It's a form of land art, if that term is what you want to use.
This guy is really out, living in NZ half the year (at least that was the situation about 15 years ago).
He is really a cool guy with a lot of wisdom to talk to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcoPSNqgx4
>>
>>749572
They're not meant to be "cool"
>>
>>749572
Well if it's at a lake or beach near a town and if some fag is doing it as an artistic exercise, I don't care really. But those epic meme piles along tracks midst nature need to end.
>>
>>747669
Just because you have a shit memory doesn't mean everybody else does.
I was born in 1997 and even I remember watching 9/11 on TV the day it happened, then seeing the pictures of all the wreckage in the newspaper the next day.
>>
>>749572
I wouldn't kick that.

I would however kick any other hodgepodged piece of shit I saw down by the river.

promptly shitting in said river after kicking said cairn
>>
>>745441

It's almost as good as taking that first massive after-breakfast shit on the first day of a long hike, isn't it?

They're like little screams for attention. Reminds me of a movie where a guy who cleans toilets talks about how stupid people are to graffiti their names on the walls. "Oh look, Simmo was here. Fuckin' congratulations, some people climb mountains or discover cures for cancer but this cunt wrote his name on the wall of a shitter. What does he think that he'll go to paris and there'll be a big parade in his honour at the eiffel tower? Oh look, it's fuckin Simmo from the shitter door."

Why are people so desperate to believe they're little snowflakes that deserve attention and praise for existing? I think that must've been how they were brought up.
>>
>>745823

Nope. There's no current agreed definition of dates that correspond to the millenial generation.

Personally I think if you were brought up in a house that had internet access from the day you were born, you're a millenial.

I spent the first 10 years of my life computerless until we got a 386. There's definitely a big difference between people my age and those about a decade younger. I think that all that myface and facebook shit must have fucked their ideas of their personal importance during their teen years.
>>
>>748418
>who has the TIME to waste shit like this

Filthy casuals, car campers and instagram whores.
>>
>>747669

Wait

Op was born in
>85

You were born in
>95

but
>I'm just as old as you

You are what's wrong with millenials, numbnuts. And you can't even fuckin count.
>>
>>747712

>gas the jews
>just passing time

At least Hitler didn't stack the jew bodies up into little piles and leave them fucking everywhere
>>
>>747103

No you don't. If you can kick 'em down with one foot, they're not official you dumb bastard.

>Why would important navigational markers be built to blow down in a stiff wind?
>>
>>747441
>piling rocks in the middle of one of the busiest MTB trails in the area is a really dumb thing to do

You should have said this. Damn people with kids are fucking entitled. Once I was standing in line for something and a woman literally banged me in the back of the legs multiple times with her pram because the line wasn't moving fast enough.

I turned around and told her to stop and she gave me some bullshit about how her she needed to get there faster. What the fuck do you want me to do about it, lady?
>>
>>747682

>call the cops for vandalism

kek

I love it when people do this. This one time I was in a parking lot and got the last space. This young bitch pulls up and tells me to move, that she was waiting first when she clearly wasn't. Told me she'd call the cops if I didn't. Go ahead, what are you gonna tell them, that I refused to give you my parking space? kek. She got so angry she drove off too fast and scraped her car against a concrete beam kek
>>
>>749572

>balance
>tune in with nature
>form of land art
>a lot of wisdom

You are the problem, anon. This is the shit that hipster cunts spout when the build those mini fagpiles. Sure, the one in your pic is cool but when that shit gets posted, that's when the hipster faggots see them and try to replicate.
>>
>>749578
Balancing stones is cool, no matter what it's "meant to be".

>>749605
Agreed. Especially if it is, like established, just flat out piled up stones.

>>749830
don't shit in the river man. animals (we) drink from that and your shit is more toxic than other animals shit. shit in the woods.

>>750140
I'm not going to change my ways because of hipsters, they don't have that power.
Everything cool gets perverted by the mainstream, that's just how it is.

Just realized I might have also posted this in the wrong thread. Nevermind.
>>
>>750151

I think you need to look up the definition of 'hipster'
>>
>>750132
>>746486
you guys are insufferable. Get the fuck over yourself
>>
>>749830
>promptly shitting in said river
This HAS to be a shitposter meme on here. If not you should seriously consider killing yourself.
>>
>>750167

"you guys"

thx baby boomer

>MFW 80% of the posters on /out/ have "40 years of /out/ experience" and are therefore in their 60s
>>
>>750132
>Personally I think if you were brought up in a house that had internet access from the day you were born, you're a millenial.
>I spent the first 10 years of my life computerless until we got a 386.

Are you me?
>dat turbo button

We didn't even have internet access for our computer until 1997 iirc
>>
>>750167
> I'm angry my kids are in their late twenties and early thirties and still live with me but it's their fault not my generation. No way, we only took advantage of the largest economic boom in this country. And I won't admit to my generation squandering it and making shit policies fucking over future generations.

Did I get that right, dad?
I'm so not entitled I have pension fund that bought this laptop :^)
>>
>>750188

mah nigga

Personally I'm incredibly grateful that there was no social media or smartphones when I was at school. I'm a teacher now and I can see how much that fucks some kids up.
>>
>>750212
>I'm incredibly grateful that there was no social media or smartphones

Me too. My first phone was a star tac (tec? ) and I fucking got a job and paid for it myself.

When we wanted to play n64 or snes we had to play outside first and homework/chores had to be done.

I think a big problem is kids are being raised like shit.
I hope I don't sound like the generation that thought rock and roll was devil music.
>>
>>750137
>not official
We'll make sure we start stamping official cairns with the Corp of Engineers official stamp from now on for you. Please refrain from kicking cairns made prior to 4/27/2016. Any cairn built after 4/27/2016 that is lacking the official stamp is fair game.
Good luck and thank you for playing.
Godspeed anon.
>>
>>750138
>one of the busiest MTB trails
Must not be too busy if the kids had time to make the cairns.
Agreed that the kids are dicks but sounds to me like you are exagerating a wee bit and what you meant to say was "kids piled rocks where I like to ride my bike and I'm butthurt".
>>
>>750176
>"40 years of /out/ experience" and are therefore in their 60s
Get better at math...
>>
>>750267

You're not getting out experience when you're 1 year old, smiley joe
>>
>>750263

ty
>>
>>750271
You're implying I didn't accrue any experience until I was in my 20's.
I learned more about being out between 8 & 14 than any other time in my life. I also spent more time in the wilderness by myself during that period.
>>
>>747809
>I don't want to be reminded of humanity at all and god help you if you do! I don't even want to hear you breathing too hard.

Jesus Christ. Are you all this thin skinned?
>>
>>750155
oh, hipsters are mainstream.
>>
>>750296
>between 8 & 14
>in the wilderness

Sure thing, buddy
>>
>>750507
So you don't understand life in small town America in the 70's. It's okay. I lived it and was there. Yes, kids wandered off into the woods and their parents were okay with it as long as they had an idea of what direction you were in. Dad might even hike out and check in on you, or not. You never knew so you just behaved.
>>
>>750296

So you have the wilderness skills of an 8-14 year old

Kek nice
>>
>>750621

If your Dad is checking on you, it's not really /out experience, kek.
>>
>>750621

>baby boomer
>condescending

Surprise surprise
>>
don't hate the cairn you guise, hate the cairner
>>
Cairns as navigational aids are pretty damn handy. But if I reach a ridge and there's like 6 fuckin cairns made by someone so they could get a sick selfie then those fuckers are comin down!
>>
Even in country where there are trees cairns can be ubber helpful, especially if you're in the middle of fucking no-where Canada and your only using topo maps and a compass. Also all your "portage" trails are really just trapping trails in the winter and in the summer God only knows where the fucking thing starts cus the shoreline doesn't matter in the winter when they made the map but now it's summer and you got to drag a fucking canoe with almost 300lbs if gear sack deep through loon shit cus you can't paddle it but if you try to portage you'll fall in some hole and drown.

I. Like. Cairns.
>>
>>750373
>litter
>breathing too hard

Nice reading comprehension, faggot. Maybe you should stop breathing too, though.
>>
>>748438

Considering you don't even know the definition of illiterate, I am going out on a limb here and confirming you are retarded. I bet you call people autists or cucks out of context too.
>>
>>750903
Considering I clearly meant you didn't read the thread, I now am fairly certain you are just a dumb cunt. Fuck off.
>>
>>750134
i hope you see that i've quoted your post so you can come back here and be embarrassed
>>
>>752144
Kek
>>
>>744838

>Now the people will know we were here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjGMVu7BP6w
>>
>>752913

>RCMP on crutches
>Still has one good foot

And so the first cairn was kicked
>>
>>750155
4chan has a way of making words meaningless
I think, despite the poster's attempt to redefine the word, they meant something more like poser or perhaps just uninspired and effortless.
>>
>>753169
I'm pretty sure hipster is defined as pretentious, useless douche.
>>
When I was doing the Annapurna and poon hill trek I noticed quite a few of these were made at a lot of the frequented resting points, i.e. at the bottom of a valley right before the next steep incline. I think people just made them for a bit of fun.
>>
>>744026
>apparently never explored iceland
>>
>>744026
Wow. End yourself.
>>
>>743929
Because in the first week of the board being up I shitposted against them so hard that other people started agreeing with my shitposts and continued on from there, its the same with the anti geocaching. I actively set out to start board culture, and succeeded, twice. I'm nto sorry for it, but I do think shitting in geocaches goes too far, just burn them, don't get people sick, just make them hopeless.
>>
>>753233
Dubs confirm
>>
>>744026
Have you ever been outside? Or even opened your windows?
>>
>>744026
Nigga you dumb.
>>
>>749572
I stayed for 3 weeks in Konstanz when I was in high school.

I would love to go back, I didn't fully appreciate it at the time.
>>
>>750134
I'm not usually one for insulting people on the internet, but since your hubris is so out of control and since you're actually so fucking stupid, I just had to.

You're fucking stupid and can barely read and I hope you take this moment to stop being such a fucking loser.
>>
>>747136
Mirror Meadow, Yosemite. I think they take kids groups there.
>>
>>753470
It's not hard to rile people up against anything that is popular amongst casuals. You could probably rile people up against nordic walking or something like that just as easily. People on 4chan are inherently hipsters and elitists, regardless of the board topic.
>>
>>753661
The ironic truth.
>>
>>745621
Makes said anon a tard for doing it in the first place.

Also shit bait
>>
>>753704
I was being cheeky, not trolling. You missed my reference I weaved in.
I'll explain it if you want.
>>
>>747138
9/10
>>
File: mtb-rear-blue-s3.jpg (31 KB, 648x432) Image search: [Google]
mtb-rear-blue-s3.jpg
31 KB, 648x432
>>747489
Absolutely silent.

At least you'll never hear me ride over your fascist ass, prick.
>>
>>747784
Hope you carry a gun; because I do. Ass.
>>
>>748406
THANK YOU
>>
>>748418
>>750133
Fucking millennials. Self centered pricks, special snowflakes.
>>
>>750221
These kids are different. Something major is wrong.
>>
>>750406
Duh.

>Uh oh, esoteric hipster is butt-hurt.
>>
>>753556

Wow dude, you seem angwy. Didn't your Mummy hug you enough? Or was it a little too much?
>>
>>753928

Ooh it says "stealth" so it must be super dooper coolio
>>
>>753938

So... you're a cairn building baby boomer?

Why is it that everyone on this board pretends to be 50+ when we know the average age is mid 20s, as seen in that other thread.
>>
Cairn builders are annoying as fuck.

When we're out looking for missing person, we now always have to double check if the Cairn that was built was either by a missing person to get attention or a fuckstick's "artwork" to put on insta.

during one search someone made a giant "SOS" in a clearing in a forest clearing by a trail near a dry riverbed the late evening 2 days previously (that could've been easily spotted from the air) but we were beaten to the site by enlightened artists (following the river down) who took apart the sign by taking and stacking the rocks.

We didn't know until the police found the guy about 6kms from site the walking east after coming across a bitumen road, and told us that he set up the sign.

Source: volunteer SAR Tracker
>>
>>753928
>implying the wheels are silent on rock, gravel or forest ground.
Even if they were, you'd just probably scare the shit out of hikers since they couldn't hear you approach them.
>>
>>754124
That makes me really mad
>>
File: First-Blood.jpg (188 KB, 1330x748) Image search: [Google]
First-Blood.jpg
188 KB, 1330x748
>>754124
>be poor lost anon
>several days
>thirst, hunger, cold, delium setting-in
>build giant SOS sign visible from air while i still have strength
>helichopper flies over
>run to the clearing where my sign is
>bunch of lumbersexuals and hairy girls building cairns with my sign
>pic related
>>
File: planet ugh.png (249 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
planet ugh.png
249 KB, 335x525
>>754433
That isn't even the "wtf are you doing" part.

They picked up the reflective emergency blanket he left behind hanging on a nearby tree, mistaking it for rubbish.

He stayed at the site for a full day waiting, he took a chance when he heard a heli in the distance and followed the sound through the scrub and (luckily) came across a canopy-heavy dirt-road which lead to a bitumen road after some trial and error some 6-8 hours later.

We found his emergency blanket in a tin bin in one of the trail's carparks
>>
>>750621
and now the woods aren't safe for kids because your generation grew up to be the ones diddling them. Congrats on ruining something and then blaming the next generation.
>>
>>754779
>Congrats on ruining something and then blaming the next generation.

It's a recurring theme with them.
>>
>>748468
I'm not that guy, but I understood him. Omniquoting is annoying
>>
>>744026
kys
>>
>>749572
Plenty of people live in NZ the whole year does that make them out? Are greasy Sikh immigrants out? I get sick of NZ being fetishised by foreigners who come here and trash campsites, fish in marine reserves and jam up tracks fuck off
>>
>>748443
>>754881
You literally just have to hover your mouse cursor over the quoted post numbers to see the images in this case. Wtf is your ppl's problem?
>>
>>754719
Bring back zyclon b when

>>754983
It's that you're expecting/wanting to see different responses from different anons. Not an autistic wall of txt that replies to everything.
>>
>>755040
Did you even take a look at said post? I didn't have a hard time understanding it if that's what you're saying here
>>
>>755040
Here's a (you)
>>
>>744753
>Holy shit millenials think about someone who isn't you for 2 seconds

Literally impossible, mate. Shittiest generation raised by single moms and no strong male role models.
>>
>>746757
Those were easily some of the dumbest analogies I've seen in a while. Why are /out/ trips such shit? I do hate cairns though..
>>
>>755185
All trips are shit but that's a namefag
>>
>>744753

>Baby boomer not understanding that the thread is about instacairns, not navigational markers

>Baby boomer thinking about what he personally finds objectionable and broadcasting it to the world

>Holy shit baby boomers think about someone who isn't you for 2 seconds
>>
>>754900
>Plenty of people live in NZ the whole year does that make them out?
Makes them enabled to a great deal more possibilities for /out/ than most places on the planet.

> Are greasy Sikh immigrants out?
When they camp throughout their route through Europe, yes.

> I get sick of NZ being fetishised by foreigners who come here and trash campsites, fish in marine reserves and jam up tracks fuck off.

Nobody did that.

Seldomly have I seen such a dickhead on out.

Rip your own prostate out.
>>
>>755669
Not him, but you sound like an idiot. Even I got what he was complaining about.
Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.