[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiking Pants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: courtesy-of-columbia.jpg (9 KB, 357x357) Image search: [Google]
courtesy-of-columbia.jpg
9 KB, 357x357
Hey /out/! This is probably a dumb question, but I am having trouble finding hiking pants that fit me. I am average, 33x30 size, but everywhere I go it is either too baggy or too long. I currently have a pair of columbia hiking pants, but they are very baggy and they are the smallest size that still fits.Trying to plan a trip to Whitney in a month, but I want some better pants. Any recommendations?

PS: I've been to REI several times trying on pants, none of which I like.

-Pic related, they are the same pants I own.
>>
I got some cheap ones at Sam's Club. Slim straight fit, thigh pocket and normal pockets
UV resistant and they don't get torn up by thorns.
Only $20, so that's a good deal in my book.
>>
I tried those on the other day along with other pants.

I settled on arc'teryx rampart pants because they were loose and flexible with neat pockets- not much baggy butt. Their sizes are all kinds of fucked... 32 fit me best despite 30 being the more correct size.

srsly tho, them pockets
>>
>"I am average"
>is a manlet

Sorry OP
>>
>>743844
Do you need to be a member to go into Sam's Club like Costco?
>>743848
I'll check these out
>>743851
6'0 @ 170-180 ibs, depending on how much beer I drink
>manlet

lol
>>
>>743827
Truspec 24/7 they have a little bit of elastic in the waist band and are super comfortable and look fairly nice
>>
>>743827
T A I L O R
A
I
L
O
R
>>
>>743854
What's the consensus about the manlet limit. I'm also 6'0 but I don't consider myself tall
>>
>>744155
there isn't a consensus I'm 6'1"
>>
>>743827
So you want straight or slim fit? Generally the higher end performance/athletic outdoors brands are going to be slimmer fitting. Arc'teryx, some patagonia, outdoor research, mountain hardware etc. MH makes a bunch of slim fit technical climbing pants, I assume they have hiking pants as well.
>>
>>744149
Hey, these actually look like they would fit be as well as be in my liking. Thanks for posting.

>>744155
6'0 master race ofc
>>
>>744378
I c-contributed? Another option that would be a little more pricey would be 5.11 pants. I have both but the tru-spec are far more comfortable. When you first get them (I just pick them up from amazon) they are a bit on the stiff side for the first wear, which I'm pretty sure is from the water proofing but after you wash them once they are great.
>>
>>744155
5'11" is tall
6'3" is the point where it becomes remarkable.
>>
Question: Is there any alternative to rainpants for being outside in the rain?
>>
>>744564
Big umbrella.
Really tall boots.
>>
>>744561
>Mfw I'm 5'10
>>
File: IMG950412.jpg (43 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG950412.jpg
43 KB, 480x480
>>744155
I'm 5'8"...aaaand hairy AF. So if you are a manlet at 6'... I'm a god damned hobbit
>>
>>743848
I have a pair of ramparts, fucking ace pants

Another good one to check out if you want something thinner and more breatheable are the Stowe pants. Very comfy and not baggy at all.

But why is baggy a problem, OP? It's for freedom of movement and ventilation.
>>
>>743854
Sadly yes, to buy things. But if you just want to look around you can go do that, if i remember correctly.

Try asking some friends/old people if they have a membership. Preppers and old people love bulk stuff and saving marginally.
>>
>>744155
>I'm also 6'0 but I don't consider myself tall
lel. at best, you are a tall manlet
>>
>>744155
I feel it anon, I'm 6' as well and don't feel tall, but when someone's describing me it's usually "he's easy to spot, look for the tall redhead"
>>
>>744824
if you are 6' and dont feel tall its because you are only noticing people taller than you when outside not most people who are shorter than you
>>
pro tip: work trousers, durable, comfy sizes + dirt cheap.
>>
>>744155
Viking master race at 5'7"
>>
>>744155
5'10" is where you realistically stop being a manlet. You don't want to be anything over 6'5" though, unless you like shopping for clothing that will never fit right, feeling like a giant in most cars, and having to ward off angry little dudes that feel like they have something to prove.
>6'4", 215 lbs., thighs of thunder
Buying comfortable and not ugly as fuck pants is impossible.
>>
>>743827
I wanna say I saw LL bean had actual sizes for a hiking pant. You are kind of a wide for you height so they might not carry your size.
>>
>>743827
I really like my prana zion stretch pants, I am 32x30 myself. They're a great fit for me, loose enough to move but not baggy. I got them on clearance and they still were more than I'd normally spend on pants, but I'd buy another pair at full price if these are ever trash. I have other hiking pants that are great, but these just fit the most comfortably.
>>
>>744155
I'm 5'7" and give zero shits about my height. If I need to reach something up high, I'll stand on something. On the other hand, I'll never have to squeeze myself into anything.
>>
>>744149
Mine were baggy as hell, I got called mc hammer by some Chad while wearing those exact pants
>>
File: amerifat.jpg (62 KB, 552x419) Image search: [Google]
amerifat.jpg
62 KB, 552x419
>>743851
>not fat
>manlet
Faggot
>>
File: 01_BluffWorks_00163_RTa.jpg (133 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
01_BluffWorks_00163_RTa.jpg
133 KB, 1200x800
Bluffworks
>>
>>745933
Prana may be expensive but damn do they make some good hiking/climbing pants.

Definitely go with the stretch zion, they're amazing
>>
What are good pants for out shit? I need some for non wading fly fishing.
>>
>>743827
Knew that problem when I was in better shape. Unfortunately 33 is not a common waist size for ..... well anything really. You may want to look into older mil style pants :thinner and more flexible: in the medium regular size. You can roll the material up and have makeshift shorts for around 5-20 bucks
>>
>>743827
Save up $10-$15 and take them to a tailor. Problem solved
>>
>>743827
My honest advice is to go to a thrift store and get some chinos. Baggy pants is a good thing when hiking, because you will need flexibility. Take them to a tailor if you want to adjust the height or if you want to add knee patches. You could also apply wax in the areas that tend to get wet.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.