[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Combodia trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: chong.png (762 KB, 820x599) Image search: [Google]
chong.png
762 KB, 820x599
So guys
Me and my brother are doing a 2 month trip to combodia.

We live in Scotland so we dont do heat but only humidity.

Im asking you guys what would be best for the jungle in terms of
>Clothing
>repellents
>Outdoor sleeping
>First aid
and any other tips for jungle enviroments.

Will be going at the start of the rainy season.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>742342
also sorry for the sloppy post and my lack of knowledge, any questions just ask!
>>
>>742342
It's called the rainy season but it still will be incredibly hot. Also El Nino is going on and the area is going through a huge drought.

Clothing, long sleeve and light. I have a bunch of ex officio that works good. I find that I sweat so much here that the fancy fabrics don't wick away anything, but they do dry quicker. Key: a big wide brim Hat, the sun is brutal. I use merino for underwear and socks.

Repellants: I just use the stuff from 7/11 in Thailand, it works fine for me.

Outdoor sleeping: I used my Hennesy hammock once in Sumatra it was the most uncomfortable night of my life. I picked a bad spot, no air circulation which was a big problem, but in the heat I couldn't stop sweating. I had to wash it after one use. But a hammock would be your best option.
>>
>>742342

'Strayan here. Make sure you stay hydrated. You're gonna sweat a shitload, so drink heaps and monitor your piss; if it's not completely clear, drink moar (water, not those idiotic energy drinks).

Fuck off cotton. You'll end up soaking wet and then freezing as soon as the sun goes down. Like other anon said, ex officio is good. Wear loose clothing and stick to synthetics.

What exactly is your accommodation? If you're planning on sleeping in the jungle without a guide or a group then you're mad cunts. Get bug nets obviously, a tarp and hammock setup would do you best. Ray Mears has a good tropical setup, look his shit up on youtube.

Just use whatever shit you can buy locally for repellant, but citronella works well.

Don't think you'll need anything special for first aid other than the normal shots before going there. Check regarding malaria.
>>
>>742342

If you're going there during rainy season, be prepared for constant wet. Keep your feet dry. It'll be miserable if you plan on going by foot a lot.
>>
File: outer aw.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
outer aw.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>rainy season

for god's sake, why? a bit cheaper? fuck that, go when it's dry. i went in peak season and even in the most popular areas 3 minutes away from the main attraction and you'll have the whole place to yourself. pic related-angkor wat a couple februaries ago.

re: camping outside, cambodia is one of the most heavily land-mined places on earth, so i wouldn't recommend straying too far into the jungle alone unless you're looking to get a job at an ngo
>>
>>743140
>monitor your piss; if it's not completely clear, drink moar (water, not those idiotic energy drinks).

False knowledge right there. You can't reliably judge your hydration/electrolytes by color of urine. Unless it becomes dark as tea/coke, don't be bothered. If it does: Go see a doc IMMEDIATELY. Plus, you should drink not just pure water when sweating a lot, due to electrolytes.

Source: SELECTED training program for special forces.
>>
File: dwight.png (194 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
dwight.png
194 KB, 500x345
>>743539

Stop spreading FUD. It's a perfectly valid indicator for a broad self-evaluation.

But please, do tell us how you bring your own field microscope and do your own pathology on site.

t. Nephrologist

>pic related: it's you
>>
>>743539

Let me guess, you're leading up to the navy seal copy pasta. I guess you know more than medical professionals though.

>inb4 I use my own dipsticks

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/features/Pages/2014-04-21-colors-that-suggest-urine-trouble.aspx
>>
File: IMG_20151015_110710948.jpg (351 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151015_110710948.jpg
351 KB, 1944x2592
>>743539
Here is an official urine table. Maybe print this out and pay heed.
>>
File: Urine.jpg (149 KB, 786x317) Image search: [Google]
Urine.jpg
149 KB, 786x317
>>743692
>>743698
>>743893

I named a source, and STILL people are being stupid. Hopeless.

We're talking exercise here, not regular "going to the pisspot after office hours", so the table doesn't really apply. Pic related.
>>
>>743937

kek "special forces" is not a source
quoting random text with no attribution is not a source
arguing with medical science "because I say so" is not a source

Go inside yourself, fag hut
>>
>>743950
>"special forces" is not a source
>quoting random text with no attribution is not a source

>>743539
>Source: SELECTED training program for special forces.

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf

Learn to read please. I don't want to assume you are that stupid.
>>
>>743951

You can't read what's not there, fucko.

But sure, you know better than someone with a medical degree. How can you possibly imagine you're in the army when you're only 12?
>>
>>743953

I named a source and quoted from it. Now you come along saying I didn't name or quote it. Seriously? And a medical degree doesn't mean shit if you can't back it up. I've see doctors prescribe antibiotics for regular coughs. There's still phonies out there, just like 200 years ago.

You on the other side didn't name any source, nor quote from it. Go troll somewhere else.
>>
>>743951

Really? 'Cause this is a document that is *actually* from the US army:
http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/content/pdfs/safety/DOD_Urine%20Color%20Test_Poster.pdf

Mayo clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/urine-color/basics/causes/con-20032831

Aus government:
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/beattheheat/Pages/urine-colour-chart.aspx

UK govt:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dehydration/Pages/Introduction.aspx

>"What the fuck did you just say about me you little bitch" etc
>>
>>743954

Sure, go ahead, keep trolling fuckwad.

Fucking stop it, because what you're actuallyh saying is dangerous bullshit. Now fuck off yo
>>
>>743955

Finally! Doc Schmock brings some sources, so let's quote away:

>With normal kidney function, your
level of hydration is indicated
by the color of your urine. Some
vitamins and supplements may
cause a darkening of the urine
unrelated to dehydration.

OP says he's going to be in motherf'ing Cambodia, it's going to be hot and he's probably exercising a lot, right? Plus, he'll probably eat local foods a lot, and/or eat supplement snacks. So, kidney function will differ greatly.

Your own source just proved my point.

My quoted source, as well as yours, gives general guidelines for hydration per hours when exercising, due to the fact that you shouldn't rely on colour or volume of urine and overdrinking is just as dangerous as dehydration.
>>
>>743958
>>743955

For completions sake:

>http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/content/pdfs/safety/DOD_Urine%20Color%20Test_Poster.pdf

>With normal kidney function, your level of hydration is indicated by the color of your urine. Some vitamins and supplements may cause a darkening of the urine unrelated to dehydration.

Check.

>http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/urine-color/basics/causes/con-20032831

Body, food, dyes, medicine and medical conditions can all cause urine decoloration.

>Brown urine can result from:

>Medical conditions. Some liver and kidney disorders can turn urine dark brown, as can some urinary tract infections.
>Extreme exercise. Muscle injury from extreme exercise can result in pink or cola-colored urine and kidney damage.

What I said here

>>743539
>Unless it becomes dark as tea/coke, don't be bothered. If it does: Go see a doc IMMEDIATELY.

>http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/beattheheat/Pages/urine-colour-chart.aspx

>This urine colour chart will give you an idea of whether you are drinking enough water. Hydrated means you are drinking enough and dehydrated means your body has lost water and you need to drink more to make up for the loss.

As we just established, colour alone can vary due to many reasons, of which exercise, food and certainly heat will apply here. So, just going by this chart is problematic, as it will give you false readings and may lead to overdrinking, which is dangerous again.

>http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dehydration/Pages/Introduction.aspx

>Studies have tried to establish a recommended daily fluid intake, but it can vary depending on the individual and factors such as age, climate and physical activity.
>A good rule is to drink enough fluid so that you're not thirsty for long periods, and to steadily increase your fluid intake when exercising and during hot weather. Passing clear urine (wee) is a good sign that you're well hydrated.
>You should drink plenty of fluid if you have symptoms of dehydration
>>
File: hydration.jpg (184 KB, 791x354) Image search: [Google]
hydration.jpg
184 KB, 791x354
And then there's my source, saying pic related, among other things.
>>
>>743960

Look, nobody's reading your bullshit. Just fucking give up on your fake soulja boy crap, mate.
>>
>>743963

Those are your own sources, dude. Do you read them or do you just google and pretend to be a medical doctor? lol
>>
>>743960

Post pics
of your medical degree
>>
>>743960

Yeah, you're deliberately misinterpreting. Just stop mate. If anyone ever listened to you they'd be in trouble.

Regale us with how hardcore you are. Show us pics of you bench pressing an atv in "the gan". Actually no, just fuck off.
>>
>>743965

I gave you sources, you can stick your gubbamint/degree shit where the sun doesn't shine.

>>743966

See above. I am saying that in OPs situation his urine colour is not a reliable sign for hydration. My source says it. Your sources say it. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
Someone mentioned about landmines and you really need to be careful. The way it is in Cambodia, they clear land, then people farm. So the land that still has trees has a high potential of having landmines . So if you want to see ruins, or go to the beach, that's good. But getting off the beaten path and tramping in forests, is probably not a good idea.

If you wanted to do that Thailand is a much better choice. But even there, the forest and jungle they have is not as forgiving as those in the West. Nothing is well mapped or marked, and many places you need to take a guide with you.
>>
File: spaghetti.jpg (66 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti.jpg
66 KB, 437x437
>a guy starts a fucking /pol/-esque statistics and link diarrhea about other people piss
What the fuck /out/. I came here and to /diy/ to scape the basement debate masters
>>
>>743958
i think you're misinterpreting what "normal kidney function" means. it doesn't mean "laboratory-perfect consistancy", it means "walking around doing stuff with normal fluctuation due to current conditions". abnormal would be an actual medical condition affecting kidney function. dietary/exercise/weather stimulated change IS normal-it's your body mantaining balance through change. google "homoestasis".
>>
>>744078

Or you could just read the sources.
>>
>>744088
Quoting someone in the the academia doesn't involve saying "here is the source, read it". It is the oposite, you say something and say "here is where I got it from". If you misread something, and atribute things to it that aren't true either willingly or by your own stupidity that is only your fault.
>>
>>744376

I quoted my source in the screenshot. I named the source earlier.

>you say something and say "here is where I got it from"

THAT is what I did. Learn to read for gods sake.
>>
>>742342
You're planning a holiday in Cambodia?
It's tough, kid, but it's life.

Don't forget to pack a wife.
>>
28 yo girl died of water poisoning after drinking 7 liters of water.

http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/16-5-Millionen-Entschaedigung-article570513.html
>>
>>746471
she did not have a provider to attend her needs
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.