[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting a dual sport bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 19
File: 9621725.jpg (59 KB, 618x360) Image search: [Google]
9621725.jpg
59 KB, 618x360
So I'm looking at getting myself an adventure bike and I'm looking at the dr 650. I was just wondering if anyone here had one and if it had any quirks I should know about?

Also I'm really new to motorcycles so forgive me for having noob questions. Like this: how can you tell when you need to refuel on a dr650 if it has no gas gauge?
>>
/o/ and I had one without a gauge. You just know. Learn it's mpg and gas up like clockwork or like me, you will run out in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>741688
So perhaps have a little extra fuel with you and I guess I'll probably get myself a larger gas tank.
>>
>>741679
>gas gauge

Sorry I gotta say this. newfag pls. staph.

most people forget that most motorcycles for a very long time were behind what most cars where doing, look at when motorcycles started getting ABS brakes, mid 2000's and even then they where like early versions of car ABS, shaky and scary as fuck. even despite their existence in cars.

Gas gauges on motorcycles, STILL aren't a thing. and rightfully so. you can look down into your fuel tank on almost every bike and judge how much gas you got left. most bikes also have a way of recording your mileage/trip. so you learn when you run out of fuel, and when to fuel up.

Dr650 is gonna be a bitch to ride on anything but clear cut trails and open fields. as a noobie. you have to be super skilled to pop over logs and shit. its over 300lbs.. so just trying to unstuck it in deep mud is gonna make you super tired. and waste tons of energy.
>>
>>741679
Go check out the daily bike thread on /o/

And make sure you budget in gear. Good gear. And then fucking wear it.
>>
Great bike for touring and light offroad. Best of the jap 650s. Could look at drz400 if you don't do much highway and want better off road.

Don't stress about variables like wind protection, tires or even ergos to some extent. Most used bikes will have various mods to some extent, and everything is customisable.

Do a rider training course and get decent gear.
>>
>>741679
There seems to be renewed interest from manufacturers for the dual sport/adventure market segment. Might be worthwile to wait a bit longer and see where the trend goes, especially if you are buying new.
>>
Neither the 650 or 400 have gas gauges.
I'd rec the 400 as its lighter/more maneuverable and the power to weight ratio is about the same as the 650..

Getting myself one as soon as my truck is paid off for /out/ adventures as well. Gluck m8.

Also people say around 50+mpg doing regular speeds. Dunno what the stock tank size it but there are aftermarket ones available.
>>
File: FILE0863_-L.jpg (122 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
FILE0863_-L.jpg
122 KB, 800x600
>>741679
>dr 650
Solid platform. A little heavier and not quite as capable off-road as a "dirt bike", or converted enduro. Might also consider a KLR650 if that's the sort of bike you're looking for, I feel there's more aftermarket options and support for them than the DR/DRZ's. (Doohickey, crash bars, luggage, 685 bigbore kit all come to mind.)

>how can you tell when you need to refuel on a dr650 if it has no gas gauge?
Pop the gas cap off and look in the tank?
The fuel petcock has three positions: on, off, and reserve. Off closes that valve (duh). On draws from a stem higher in the fuel tank. Whne your bike pops/stutters like it's running out of fuel and you've been on the trails for a while, switch that to reserve and it'll get you a little further. I also carry a 20oz fuel bottle if I know i'm going to be pushing my range.

After a month or three of riding, you'll figure out the range you have for the terrain you're riding.
Tight/technical/rocky singletrack, i've seen single-digit mpgs.
Best I've gotten was through Yellowstone, 45m/h in the park is 6th gear just off idle, so I pulled about 80mpg through there.
Typical DS riding I see 40-50, or about 100mi to a tank.

>>741744
>And make sure you budget in gear. Good gear. And then fucking wear it.
>>741750
>Do a rider training course and get decent gear.
FUCKING THIS.
I generally recommend setting a budget for the vehicle, buying decent gear first, then use what's left for the vehicle itself. Also know that the first set of gear you buy probably won't be the last - and used gear is fine while you're figuring out what does and doesn't work for you. I went through half a dozen chest protectors before I found what I liked.
>>
File: PINS.jpg (439 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
PINS.jpg
439 KB, 2048x1536
>>741679
I have one, love it. Pic related. Pelican side cases, corbin seat, some suspension work, fork brace, seal savers, bash plate, etc. Since that pic was taken I've installed a larger Acerbis gas tank which I highly recommend.

It'll cruise at 70-75 MPH (indicated) all day with no issues. A bit heavy for serious off-roading, especially if you have it loaded down, but it'll get you about anywhere you wanna go for motocamping at least.
>>
>>741679
I have had a DRZ400s for over 10 years. not one single failure ever. no complaints. still love it.
weighs 300lbs
gets 50+ mpg
>>
>>742169
>motocamping

Can't wait to do this.
>>
File: image.png (179 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
179 KB, 750x1334
>>741679
>>741679
OP, get yourself a "desert tank" they hold a lot more guzzoline and they're opaque like a milk jug so you can see clear as day where your fuel level is at.

Also, unscrew your gas cap and look inside your stock tank. My triumph bonne has some stupid flange in it so I cant see the bottom but I get a gas light that turns on on my last gallon so w/e.

desert tanks are kind of ugly but maybe you can cover it with Trump stickers
>>
/dbt/ here

every time you fill up reset your trip

if it doesnt have that just write down your mileage every time until you get a feel for it

i have a stock sv650 at the moment and I get ~175miles before i refill for about $9

look up quickshifting, and dont forget that in order to join the cool kids motoclub you must do TWO of the following THREE tasks:

1. Do a wheelie
2. Take a 90degree residential right hand turn at 45mph
3. Win a race with a notshit car in an urban setting

good luck scrub
>>
>>742169
Can you post some things you learned when motocamping? That and maybe some pics and stories for motivation while I heal.
>>742941
>sv650
ayyy
Love mine
>>
>>741679
what I do not like about bikes is the smell of the burnt fuel.
and the helmet which not comfortable after hours of riding.
>>
>>742988
>smell of burnt fuel
ehhhhhh....
>uncomfortable helmet
stop buying cheap helmets
Shoei qwest nigga
>>
>>742993
This
Love my shoei
And the smell of fuel
>>
File: forest.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
forest.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1440
>>742976
I dunno what all tips I can give, it's just like regular camping really.

One of my pelican cases on the bike holds tools, a 12V tire inflator, inner-tube patch kit, new inner-tubes for both front and back tires, a small Enduro Star trail stand for lifting the front or back of the bike off the ground to do tire/tube changes on the road (pic related), etc.

The other pelican case holds my MSR Whisperlite International camp stove, food, and items related to food preparation.

In my waterproof bags I'll keep all my clothes, a small 2-man tent, a hammock with bug netting, a collapsible fishing rod and tackle, a couple of books, other camping gear, etc.

My tank bag holds maps, a bottle of water/gatorade, sunscreen, my phone, any tobacco products, etc.

If your bike doesn't already have one, I advise you to add a 12v power outlet so you can plug in a tire inflator and charge your phone while on the road.
>>
File: talimena.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
talimena.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1440
>>743380
The biggest difference from car camping will be your lack of a cooler or other way to keep your food cold, so your food will be more similar to what a backpacker would eat except you'll also be able to take along some canned goods and fresh fruits/veggies since weight isn't so much of a concern.
>>
File: enchantedrock.jpg (876 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
enchantedrock.jpg
876 KB, 1920x1440
>>743381
If you go on a long trip and will need to buy a tire on the road then you'll need to plan ahead as you might have to drive hundreds of miles out of your way and wait several days for a tire to arrive..... It sucks, trust me. Be smart and plan ahead for tire changes.
>>
File: mcfaddin2.jpg (420 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
mcfaddin2.jpg
420 KB, 2048x1536
>>743387
Don't ride on the beach unless the tide is out and you can ride on that firm damp sand down by the water... Trying to ride on dry powder sand and 2ft thick mats of seaweed sucks ass.
>>
File: windgen.jpg (697 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
windgen.jpg
697 KB, 1920x1440
>>743389
Areas that have wind farms also have LOTS of wind, be prepared to get blown all over the road if you see wind turbines on the horizon.
>>
File: ominous.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
ominous.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1440
>>743391
Twisties are fun but don't forget to always leave yourself some room for error when taking corners or you'll end up being just another statistic on a warning sign.
>>
File: waterfun.jpg (589 KB, 1000x1351) Image search: [Google]
waterfun.jpg
589 KB, 1000x1351
>>743395
The time to admit to yourself that the water might be too deep for you to ride through is BEFORE it comes over the top and fills your boots up.
>>
File: hillcountry.jpg (916 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
hillcountry.jpg
916 KB, 1920x1440
>>743397
Last tip would be to only make vague plans and DON'T commit yourself to being at a certain destination on a certain day / time; that's how you end up riding for 600+ miles on a boring ass highway in one day just to reach a destination.

Motorcycle trips are more about the ride and the journey than about the destination. If you're focused on reaching a destination and just try to pound miles out on the freeway then the trip is gonna suck.
>>
>>742993
I've got an Arai RX-Q that I love. My first helmet was a cheap sub-$100 helmet that was horrible (and probably a size too large for me).
>>
>>741679

That's not a motorbike, it's a dirtbike. Dirtbikes are for kiddly-winks and manchildren.
>>
>>743381
>>743387
>>743389
>>743391
>>743395
>>743397
>>743407
All of this advice is really good, especially the following
>>743380
>just like regular camping really.

100% this. It's a lot more like backpacking than car camping. Aside from a toolkit and a few spares, you're essentially carrying backpacking gear with a bit less of a weight concern.
I see so much motocamping specifics like "What is best X for motocamping?"
The answer is probably the same as a backpacking.

Luggage options vary... Personally I like soft luggage for the weight reduction and lower profile. Pic related is next on the wish list
>>
File: 20140504_132607.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20140504_132607.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1152
>>743380
Thanks for the awesome tips.
Nice pics as well.
Two questions
1) is that black bag a kreiga
2) what is the yellow one

Thanks. Gonna save your posts.
>>
>>741679
I had a KLR650 and these are the bad things that probably apply to the DR also:
>terrible vibration from the single-cylinder engine
>gears too closely spaced, optimized for dirt trail riding 40-50 mph
>this makes it rev way to high at 80 on the interstate
>but worse, not a low enough gear for crawling over rocks on mountain trails.
>mine was wrecked when the motor case was cracked and the frame bent over a rock, and I was happy to see the insurance company take it.
>>
>>743562
Black bag is a Kwik Tek Dry Pak. It's HUGE, I could've probably fit everything I needed for the trip inside of there to be honest. I got the "Large" size which is 70L. There is a bigger size but It would honestly be too big for the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/DP-D1BK-Waterproof-Duffel-Black-Large/dp/B00644OLLU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

The Yellow bag is a SealLine Baja Dry Bag. It's the 20L size and I keep my tent and hammock inside of it so that I won't have to put a wet tent or hammock inside of my other duffel bag with all of my clothing. It also makes a decent pillow.

>>743564
DR650 vibration isn't terrible, mine has some vibration at ~55-60 MPH but it smooths out and feels great at 70-75, I try not to ride above 75 MPH indicated for extended amounts of time. If you want to ride fast all day on the interstate then maybe a sport touring bike would suit you better than a single cylinder dual sport. I have a smaller front sprocket I can put on and off in about 10 minutes that drops the gearing down to a more suitable range for "real off-road riding" but the bike is still too heavy for serious rock crawling or nasty single track. It's much better on fire roads, unpaved trails/roads, etc.

I like the DR650 because I can ride 500-600 miles a day on pavement pretty easily, it handles twisties well, I can load it down like a mule, and it'll get me down any road or trail that I personally want to go down. I prefer dirt roads and fairly easy trails over technical single track riding or rock crawling.
>>
>>743642
>It's much better on fire roads, unpaved trails/roads, etc.
So true.
I now have a sport-bike for paved roads, an ATV for mountains, and an SUV for long trips (since I have become lazy and like comfort in my old age).
I thought OP should know how happy I was with a brand-new KLR and then hated it just months later
>>
>>743674
Yeah, like I said I actually prefer fire roads and dirt trails over technical dirtbike riding so the DR650 is a great fit for me. If you're used to blazing down tight single track on a 2 stroke dirt bike or something then yeah, you're probably going to be disappointed with a 650 dual sport.

What kind of sport bike did you end up with? I've been thinking about getting a used Yamaha FZ6 and throwing some luggage on it for longer pavement only motorcycle trips.
>>
>>743680
Are you stalking me???
I have a used FZ6 and put the old KLR saddle-bags on it because I kept them after it was totaled.
The FZ6 is amazing to ride, quiet and smooth if you don't rev it, and wild if you do.
>>
>>743687
Heh, nah I've been contemplating a 2007-2009 FZ6 for several years now but ended up buying a boat, new truck, etc instead of spending money on another motorcycle. That's a pretty funny coincidence though. Good to hear that you like yours, I need to find one to test ride after I sell my house in the next few months and have some extra money.
>>
>>743691
Buy one.
The first test drive I did, just amazed how quiet and comfortable it was.
Then I noticed I was driving by the seat of my pants, never noticing the tach.
I was shifting at 4000 and it redlines at 14000. When I owned it, things changed a bit.
>>
>>743699
Yeah, I'll have to take a look at them at some point. I'm in the final stages of remodeling my house to get it ready to sell so all of my extra money is being held onto until I see how much I'm actually going to end up spending but after it's sold then I'll have some extra money for toys again.
>>
>>743476
Harleyfag detected
>>
>>741679
No
No
Nonono
No
Those big dualsports are ass
Not powerful enough for the road too heavy for dirt
Either get a Dr-z 400 or a 250 something or other and don't be afraid to let it scream a little
I like my 07 klr650 but I regret not either getting a drz400 or an adventure bike
Its too heavy for dirt and if you want to go above 65 you'll wish you had more power
>>
>>742976
>in-between light monster, outrace anybody on the road
>get on highway and sweating at 85mph

kill me
>>
>>744444
Test
>>
>>744610
Yeah nothing wrong with a 400 on the highway. Mine does 120kmh fine
>>
File: cb500x-CB-X-Adventure-kit2.jpg (219 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
cb500x-CB-X-Adventure-kit2.jpg
219 KB, 1024x683
>>741679
I'd recommend a CB500X, it's lighter than the 650 but still decent on highways, fuel injected and digital dash with fuel gauge (Also cheaper). Please don't fall for buying a brand new bike in 2016 that still has a carb.
>>
File: IMG_20140531_192836339-L.jpg (114 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140531_192836339-L.jpg
114 KB, 800x450
>>747187
FI's nice for sure, but carbs aren't terribly difficult/complicated.
They were terrible on sleds when you'd have to roll it out of a stuck, then spend 10 minutes pulling on the rope to clear out the cyls... On bikes that don't see much up-side-down time, it's a lot less of a problem.

Biggest thing for them is elevation change - don't have to rejet or fight a rich mix as you go up. Places where you're not climbing 5000ft in a day's ride, carb or FI really won't make much difference.
>>
>>747200
>simple green
>my_nigga.jpg

I use that stuff to clean/degrease all sorts of shit.
>>
>>747187
>not a full face helmet
>>
the fuck is a twistie?
>>
>>747551
Twisting, turning and winding roads/paths/trails
>>
File: FILE0943-L.jpg (113 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
FILE0943-L.jpg
113 KB, 800x600
>>747520
Pine-sol's another good one for carbs. Bucket with enough hot water to cover all the parts, throw some pine-sol in there, and let it soak overnight.
For cast-iron parts, "molasses restoration".
Otherwise it's carb spray, dish soap, simple green, and the occasional shot of brake cleaner.

>>747539
>not a full face helmet
rider's choice.
I agree it's dumb not to wear a FF helmet, but if someone wants to wear an open-face or no helmet at all, that should be their decision, not the law's.
>tfw living in no-helmet-law state and never riding without a FF helmet

>>747551
>the fuck is a twistie?
>pic related
>>
File: th59dfnhnv5c3d4tdodb.jpg (404 KB, 1201x960) Image search: [Google]
th59dfnhnv5c3d4tdodb.jpg
404 KB, 1201x960
im eyeballing a used honda cb500x and getting the rally raid stage 3 kit. Any thoughts? Im budgeting 8kish.
>>
>>747599
Its a nice meme bike. Manifold pipes exposed.
>>
>>747599
dis looks pretty good.
wish i could have this or the Africa Twin
>>
>>747595
Mule?
>>
File: deadhorse.jpg (96 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
deadhorse.jpg
96 KB, 960x720
>>741679

The big singles are good starter bikes, but I skipped that stage and went for the heavy pig DL650. DR wins for reliability, but the DLs hold their own. My brothers DL1000 is approaching 110,000 miles and it's only had consumables. I'm at 36,000 and still good. No way they're going off road easily (weighs 490 wet), but it eats dirt roads forever and it's so smooth on the highway compared to the thumpers. 50+ mpg gets you a big range with a 5.5 gallon tank. Here's mine at the top of Alaska. Perfect bike for this. I will say it is a top heavy bike, so around-town fuckery will be easier on a DR/KLR.
>>
>>747187
You need the $3000 rally raid kit to make this bike an actual dual sport. Not joking

>>747599
Mate have you seen those fucking aussie sick cunts that rode across the desert on these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rs2GnsSKk0

That bike + that kit is literally the best middleweight japanese dual sport option right now.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/this-company-makes-a-kit-to-turn-your-honda-cb500x-into-1767898886
>>
>>748407
>Mate have you seen those fucking aussie sick cunts that rode across the desert on these?

love those guys
i couldn't find the ending of their adventure though.

>i will never ride to awesome places with my m8s
why live?
>>
>>741679
DR650 requires a bit of modding & adjustments to become the perfect adventure bike. Stock DR650 is kinda meh.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.