[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 17
File: Stock-Image-Buschraft.jpg (101 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Stock-Image-Buschraft.jpg
101 KB, 960x540
Quick noob question for you guys.

Coffee - how do YOU try to brew it?
>>
>>739160
I just pack instant coffee. Saves space and weight in my backpack, along with fuel and time.

>inb4 pleb
>>
>>739160
I pay a Cuban $2 to do it
>>
>backcountry
starbucks via. tastes like shit, and expensive for instant, but less shitty than other instants

>car camping
same as home-french press with good coffee.
>>
I don't touch the stuff because I have an addictive personality and I know if I started using it in the morning I'd never be able to stop.

Anytime I do drink it randomly though I don't care about the source, taste, or process at all I simply ingest it for the utilitarian use of caffeine
>>
File: vietnamese-coffee-maker.jpg (10 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
vietnamese-coffee-maker.jpg
10 KB, 300x200
I invested in one of pic related, $4 at the Asian grocery.
>>
>>739169
Is coffee a bad addiction? I thought it was healthy, providing it's not a latte.
>>
Any kind of freeze dried instant coffee is okay by me, really. I'm fond of those little instant coffee crystals that come in the glass jar
>>
I go with turkish coffee, I grind it before leaving.
>>
File: Vinacafe_lg.jpg (283 KB, 1980x2652) Image search: [Google]
Vinacafe_lg.jpg
283 KB, 1980x2652
>>739160
well, I'm half vietnamese. I go with these instant coffee packets. They're small, light, and strong. Better than most coffee shop coffee and gets me to wake up.

I also worked at a historical park at one time and there were some cowboys who used to come in on the weekends and taught me how to make cowboy coffee. I don't do it though because then I have to take out a kettle and pack the coffee and figure out what to do with the grounds.

>>739181
I use these sometimes at home and a french press can be a good way to make some strong coffee. If you buy a good one they are made from stainless steel and sturdy. Avoid Aluminum ones and ones without a screw on press. How slow these drip is really dependant on how tghtly you screw it, how much coffee is in there, and how hot the water is.
>>
>>739182

It's like anything really. Wine can be healthy, but bad if you drink a bottle per night. The thing about coffee is it becomes a slippery slope. One cup in the morning to wake up becomes 2, then one at lunch, then 2 at lunch, then you can't function at all without it in the morning and get the shakes if you don't drink it.

Caffeine is actually a very powerful and addictive substance and should be taken somewhat seriously. Not to even mention the fact that some people load their coffee with sugar.
>>
>>739194
Yeah, I made it a point to get one that was stainless and had the screw down screen.

I don't just make coffee /out/ with it, it's my primary maker. I like the fact that I can only make one cup at a time, keeps my consumption reasonable.
>>
I just mix the ground beans with boiling water, and filter it through my teeth when I drink it. Cowboy coffee.
>>
File: 1408740973735.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1408740973735.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
When hiking I use either of pic related. The folders is ground coffee in a tea bag. Its pretty good honestly.
If car camping I use my enamelware perculator strictly for the nostalgia.
>>
Generally I just carry my aeropress if its an overnight/ two night hike. nice way to wake up in the morning
>>
>>739235
>If car camping I use my enamelware perculator strictly for the nostalgia.

>right in the feels.jpg

me too bro
>>
i carrying little capsules that i make out of those old chocolate things with small plastic container that had a toy in it. i put enough instant coffee and sugar in it for a single coffee, sometimes ill take a couple with coco in it. they're all about twice the size of a standard marble.
>>
>>739194

I've drank this before, brings back memories.
>>
>>739160
Moka pot or cowboy coffee.

>>739201
Caffeine gives you all the pleasure and ritual of servicing an addiction with less health risk than most.
>>
Found a local store that sells empty teabags that you can fill with whatever you want. Real coffee, lightweight, doesn't require extra hardware, grounds stay in bag for easy pack out. Perfecto.
>>
File: Notevenonce.jpg (125 KB, 736x952) Image search: [Google]
Notevenonce.jpg
125 KB, 736x952
I don't bother with speed, but I make any coffee drinkers bring coffee or caffeine tablets on long backpacking trips
I'm not dealing with your cranky ass during withdrawal
Backpacking with someone is too close sometimes
>>
>>739160
When on gas or alcohol, I just bring tea, when on wood, I bring a metal cup and make real turkish mocca in the hot embers.
>>
>>739347
>over 1,000 carcinogenic chemicals
niggawatt.jpg
>>
>>739160
I just stopped drinking coffee 1 month ago bc i was /addicted/. But instant coffee is the best imo (see: easiest)
>>
>>739160

I just chew on coffee beans.
>>
>>739160
Look up something called a brewing cone.
>>
>>739407
You can probably carve one out of wood pretty easily with the right skill. Then all you need to have is a coffee filter and some hot water.

Oh, and the coffee.

...and the coffee mug.
>>
>>739160
Put coffee in cup
Heat water
Put water and anything else you want in coffe (i.e cream, sugare etc..)
tadaa, you have coffee
>>
>>739201
>The thing about coffee is it becomes a slippery slope. One cup in the morning to wake up becomes 2, then one at lunch, then 2 at lunch

Maybe if you're a man child. It's easy as fuck to restrict yourself to one or two coffees a day. I've been doing it for years. You treating coffee as if it's some sort of highly addictive opium
>>
>>739216
Huh.... so that's what they were drinking in Hatefull Eight
>>
>>739160
Dandelion root coffee
>>
>>739160
At home: French press. When I'm /out/, usually instant.
>>
>>739542
This is a thread about coffee, anon. Not about exercises.
>>
>>739160
I go Turkish/Eastern Euro when out.
>Use the same pot I use for cooking
>Portion out water
>One cup of water = 1.5tbsp ground coffee (for my taste)
>bring to boil; add coffee
>as soon as coffee/water begins to foam remove from heat
>slowly poor into mug or keep in pot if preferred
>add a packet of sugar or instant creamer if wanted
>drink slowly
>by the time you're out of coffee, the grinds are sitting in the bottom of the pot
>sling them into the forrest; done

Boiling and drinking straight up works just fine; reducing additional items to bring and simplifies cleaning. No presses, no percolators, no moving parts.
>>
File: aeropress.jpg (109 KB, 980x980) Image search: [Google]
aeropress.jpg
109 KB, 980x980
pic related
>>
>>739160
W2C that bag tho
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>739235
I was wondering if there's a reason I couldn't just put some coffee in an empty tea bag and treat it like tea... I'll try it in the morning!
>>
Stovetop Espresso maker is also an option. I prefer Turkish method like >>739588
You could also leave the coffee for about 4 minutes then filter it through something if you hate coffee grind remains
>>
>>739569
kek
>>
I've never liked coffee. It gives me diarrhea. I bring hot chocolate and Gatorade packets.
>>
>>739347
>over 99,9% of alcohohl, heroin, cocaine, and meth addicts tried coffee first

is isnt like 99,9% of americans tried coffee in their live
>>
>>739404
eww
>>
>>739663
That's a pretty good idea

Maybe make your own bags from coffee filter paper and kite string
>>
File: 1408115654531.jpg (382 KB, 897x1350) Image search: [Google]
1408115654531.jpg
382 KB, 897x1350
I just chuck it in the pot with boiling water. You get the best taste by having freshly roasted beans, so just walk into any decent cafe and barter for a handful of the beans they use on site.

I grind it at home then when at camp when water is boiling, take pot off fire and wait 2 mins. Then add coffee, stir with something clean and after 3 mins it's all settled to pour into cup. Literally no equiptment. I've never accidentally drunken the grounds.

Get that disgusting instant coffee the fuck away from me you cocksuckers. No excuse for that shit.
>>
>>739308
I just bought some of these on Amazon. Before that I boiled water and steeped the coffee through a coffee filter.
>>
>>739514

Caffeine is highly addictive actually, chemically speaking. I'm just saying I personally treat it seriously because I tend to get addicted easily.
>>
>>739167
this
>>
>>739514
>to one or two coffees a day
Thats gonna depend on what you consider to be one or two coffees. 6-8 oz is a coffee.great if you're a noir detective. If you were to wake up tomorrow where caffeine was a controlled substance it would look like an epidemic. most people just have such a high tolerance for it by their teens or adult age that you don't really notice it.

I've quit coffee,tea, sodas, energy drinks etc multiple times and it's cool afterwards but it sucked ass doing it. Thank God for decafe since I just like the taste of coffee more than anything.
>>
File: 1404866310185.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1404866310185.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>having an addictive personality
>not dependent on coffee/caffeine
>mfw
>>
.....How can you guys drink instant coffee?

It tastes like shit. Even pregrounded coffee barely passes.
>>
>>740081
>pregrounded
Keep making words up on the fly like that, we'll start calling you Dubya.
>>
File: 20151024_144730.jpg (964 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151024_144730.jpg
964 KB, 2048x1152
>instant coffee in cup
>pour boiling water on it
done
>>
File: cha_box_in_two[1].jpg (68 KB, 394x365) Image search: [Google]
cha_box_in_two[1].jpg
68 KB, 394x365
>>739169
The only sign of my coffee addiction was the crushing headache I got for 3 days if I didn't drunk at least a cup. Some day I got bothered by the brown taint on my teeth, went through the headache and changed to Mate tostado. Which at least don't give me headache. I drunk coffee since I was 4 until my 19 years or so.
>>
>>740075
>having an addictive personality
>not dependent on coffee/caffeine
>yfw is drinking coffee

10/10 irony
>>
>>739160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLuCPMF_y4

I use a perculator which is considered the worse quality of coffee to coffee people...and I agree, but I have an intense nostalgia for it because that's how we made coffee when my Grandpa, my Dad, and my self went duck hunting.
>>
>>739514
>It's easy as fuck to restrict yourself to one or two coffees a day.
Easy for you. If you can function with one coffee a day you're not addicted in the first place.

I tried to quit a year ago. Things like reading a book became impossible. I kept forgetting things and sometimes things I was thinking. It got easier by the end of the week but what I mean is, it's not just the cravings. If you need to be smart at work you kinda have to keep on drinking it or else you have to find a new job.
>>
>>740216
>tried to quit
doez headaches...
>>
>>739160
Tea is easier and goes down better. Coffee will give you gas, and won't go down well with certain foods.
>>
>>739347
LOL
that is literally an ironical ad to support the argument that you can demonize harmless drugs like marijuana with similar tactics...
can't believe you fell for that.
>watch out! H2O overdose is deadly, 100% of h2o users will DIE!
>>
>>740319
>harmless drugs like marijuana
can't believe you're falling for this. Don't bother spouting all your pro weed bullshit. I've smoked it and don't any longer, no real reason for me but I've seen the disasterous effects this 'harmless' drug can have on people and families.
Go fuck yourself!
>>
>>740326
>can't believe you're falling for this.
you can't use my own line back at me, fucko
the only reason it has disastrous effects is because people think it's bad. I could make the same argument about say homosexuality. In certain parts of the states it will literally tear a family apart and end with misery, why? because dumb fucks think it's wrong even if it's totally harmless.
You're the one who should go fuck themselves, although since you're on a Taiwanese Hentai image board I'm assuming you already are
>>
>>740319
>>740344

>the constant pothead shit on /diy/ and /out/ over the last months
What is up with this potheads? Go find something else to do.
>>
>>740272
"coffee will give you gas"

There is something wrong with you
>>
>>740358
not everyone that mentions weed is a pothead. legalization is a popular idea even among non smokers and most people who've smoked weed don't do it more than a few times a year, if that often.
>>
Why drink coffee when theres coke?
>>
>>740272
are you adding milk to your coffee by any chance?
>>
>>740809
some people enjoy smelling nature when /out/ instead of having bleeding sniffles and then having their nose fall off...
>>
>>739663

I dunno, maybe. Did you actually read the thread?
>>
>>739682
Tried it out and it works fine. 1 tablespoon of coffee made strong coffee in just a couple minutes. This is what I'll use on my next trip. I actually found some empty tea bags at an Asian market, 60 for like $4.
>>
>>740099
Did you carve those? How heavy are them? Are they difficult to clean?
>>
File: 20140917_143059.jpg (1019 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20140917_143059.jpg
1019 KB, 2048x1152
>>741320
nah man, Kupilka, its like part plastic part wood fiber.

the heat absorption of wood and the hassle free cleaning of plastics
>>
>>741339
Noice! Thanks for answering bro
>>
>>739514
>You treating coffee as if it's some sort of highly addictive opium

Can confirm, caffeine is nowhere near morphine.

t. chronic back injury
>>
>>739588
>he doesn't pack out his used grinds
I bet you shit in rivers too, you heathen.
>>739762

>Get that disgusting instant coffee the fuck away from me you cocksuckers. No excuse for that shit.

Pretty much this. Coffee isn't just for caffeine. It's to be enjoyed.
>>
>>740105
Who gives a 4yo coffee?
Oh shit, my aunt has done this with my cousins.
What's your story?

>>740364
Found the newfag. You quote a post by highlighting the text and clicking on the post number.
>>
i metabolize caffeine really fast, so i have to drink it consistently to be stimulated. i never come down from it either.

not worth brining for me :c

you could grind beans in a bag and pack one of those paper cones and hand pour it into the thermos. would take about the same amount of space as the instant coffee
>>
>>741863
"quote a post by highlighting the text and clicking on the post number"

>Got it. Thanks!
>>
>>741863
I just started drinking it. But as I never liked to drink soda, sofdrinks and eat too much sugar I ended up healthier than a bunch of people.
>>
>>741349
No problem man. Do you still want the weight and stuff? I can weigh them later if you want but you can probably find the weight on the Internet somewhere
>>
>>739165
So starbucks. Your /out/ is on the town.
>>
>>739182
>coffee a bad addiction
No, but the caffeine in it is. Suffering from caffeine withdrawals can make a trip very unpleasant. I had to baby some moron who couldn't live without it and drank upwards of 800-1000mg worth of caffeine per day. He doesn't go /out/ much anymore.
>>
You guys know cold brewing is thing right? Some rather cringey coffees in here.
>>
Coffee will give you bad breath and discolor your teeth. Tea is easier to make (no need for a grinder or press, which frees up pack space) and more soothing. Why would you drink something that dehydrates you in the morning, anyways? You'll just be more miserable. Tea on the other hand, will help you sleep.

Just my opinion.
>>
>>741339
Chickpeas. One of the most underrated sources of Protein. Right there with Mushrooms and Cattails.
>>
>>743200
Just buy coffee powder? Isn't it available in america? We can buy ground coffe by the buttloads here. (Not instant coffee, just coffee.)
>>
>>741990
Yeah I checked them right after I read your post, Thank you bro
>>
>>743287
Like I said, bad breath and tooth damage.

Used to drink Coffee all the time. Teeth are yellow as a Lemon now...
>>
>>743203
>Chickpeas
Try Lupine beans then, 40-50% pure protein.
>>
>>743306
Yeah me too. Just drink mate man.
>>740105
>>
>>742085
Nah man the Quick Stop has the fire Coladas. My boy Adolfo at the Exxon makes a mean double as well, but the qt's at the Quick Stop make it hard to resist.
>>
>>743200
i agree that tea is delicious but coffee is richer and more powerful and sometimes that's perfect. also, the latest science says coffee doesn't actually result in any net dehydration. it is a diuretic so it'll make you pee faster but you hydration for the overall day apparently will not be affected.

also, teaman (can I call you teaman?) what are your favorite teas? i've settled on Bigelow as my favorite brand. Their oolong tea could give me an orgasm at the right time and place
>>
>>739167
Yup, Via is best of the worst. We always pack it; expensive, but one of those little luxuries you deserve on the trail.
>>
File: handpresso.jpg (71 KB, 1500x998) Image search: [Google]
handpresso.jpg
71 KB, 1500x998
Haven't been out in a while but this my go to when I don't have a counter top espresso maker, even when I'm in town. Boil water and then store it in the thermos for 3+ hours.
>>
>>739261
Kinder eggs?

I'm personally probably not going to do it since I don't often drink coffee anyway, but that's a pretty good idea. Do you wrap them up or anything so it don't come apart in your bag?
>>
>>741863
>Found the newfag. You quote a post by highlighting the text and clicking on the post number.
Another anon but I've been here for 7 years and have never knew this, I would just manually copy and paste everything.
>>
>>744573
Same. I have been here since 2008 and that comment is the first time I've heard of it.

Fucking crazy.
>>
>>739164
This is the best way to go.
>>
Boil water, stir in Folgers instant aaaannd done. The rest of you hipster ass lumber sexuals are just being ridiculous.
>>
>>744694
I like my coffee to taste like real coffee, not like coffee beans that have been shit out by a filthy Nicaraguan. Start drinking some half decent coffee and then we can talk, little guy.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54 KB, 300x300
>>744699
>being picky
>being snobby
>being stubborn
>being man
jesus christ man it's a cuppa coffee out in the wilderness
>>
>>744704
that was sposta say mad not man :|
>>
>>744704
Not being picky at all. It takes 5 minutes tops to make a cup of coffee or shot of espresso so I'd rather have something that tastes good over butthole water. Plus, it's not like packing normal coffee is going to take up that much more space.
>>
File: EMSpectrum1.png (39 KB, 1000x466) Image search: [Google]
EMSpectrum1.png
39 KB, 1000x466
>>744714
whateverman
>>
>>744573
>>744582
Anon that told you about the trick.
I found it out by accident. Matter of fact I've found a ton of shit out by accident.

Hit ctrl+s meant for boards with spoilers but it works anywhere.

>>744720
Interesting pic
>>
>>744738
>Hit ctrl+s meant for boards with spoilers but it works anywhere.
I'm 95% sure it [spoiler]doesn't[/spoiler] work.
I've used spoilers on boards in an accident before and they didn't work, I like them for because their fun to use sometimes.
>>
>>744744
I meant that the ctrl+s worked everywhere not the actual spoiling of text.
Sucks when you're on mobile
>>
How addicted are you faggots that you need to bring coffee with you out wherever you go?
>>
>>739514
>man child

Please voluntarily remove yourself from this site and go back to your native site of Reddit, thx
>>
File: 1455936707356.jpg (17 KB, 429x399) Image search: [Google]
1455936707356.jpg
17 KB, 429x399
>>744799
I don't need coffee like that but I really enjoy the smell of it being brewed, the taste, and the act of sitting back and relaxing while I enjoy the peaceful calm.
>max comfy
>>
>>744704
To be fair, Folgers tastes like shit. I like my coffee, it's worth it to me to bring the good stuff.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.