[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kentucky general. Post pics, stories, or good places to hike.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: Kentucky-Flag-US-State-Paper-XL.jpg (221 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kentucky-Flag-US-State-Paper-XL.jpg
221 KB, 1500x1000
Kentucky general. Post pics, stories, or good places to hike.
>>
>>737183
I actually just got back from Land Between the Lakes with some friends. Great time. Ever been to LBL?
>>
>>737185
I haven't, I've always wanted to go though.
>>
>>737192
idk just exactly where it is, like i live on the boarder of TN and KT its about an hour or so out. Im actually planning on going kayaking this weekend with the senpai
>>
OP here, also post your kik if you are interested in keeping in contact for future hiking buddies.
>>
>>737185

You need to take lefty hiking some more
>>
>>737183
Requests go to /r/ unless you're gonna bump your own thread, OP.

Anyway, I was down in the Red last fall. Totally beautiful and world class climbing to boot. Stop by miggy's for great pizza and good company
>>
>>738162
I've been to Miguel's before actually. I was young, but I remember it as the best pizza I've ever had.
>>
File: 20160312_123945.jpg (694 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160312_123945.jpg
694 KB, 2048x1152
>>738162
I like it after a few days camping, but at times it's almost cring worthy with the no gmo, feel the bern, ale8-1 drinking yuppies talking about their slack line.

I live in EKY, tons of places here to explore. Either backpacking or offroading. Outside of parks, just be careful. A lot of people tend to think they own land they don't and they'll shoot first before asking questions. Especially now since it's pot season. Already hiked upon a few plants.
>>
A couple days ago there was showing a program about the police work on the state of Kentucky. What a fucking inbred, redneck, ignorant and third world state that you guys have there.
>>
>>738704
Depends on the area. Some is bustling cities, and others are so far behind the times they'll be the only people to survival a collapse of society because they've been living off the land their whole life.
>>
>>738735
I can't remember the city but was meth and totally white trash raided. People shooting neighbor's dogs, trailer parks everywhere and the sheriff's the usual 1950s nigger hating type.
Fucking hell m8
>>
>>738744
Def in eastern ky. Belive it or not, the more back innawoods you go the more basic and down to earth everyone is. They just want to be left alone. Perry, leslie, letcher, and harlan here.
>>
>>739234
>Letcher
Born and raised in Neon. Got the hell out. Shit is bad in Letcher Co nowadays.
Here is a list of someplaces you should visit if ever in KY.
Red River Gorge: as mentioned in this thread, RRG is a great /out/ place. Canoeing/Kayaking, fishing, hiking, camping, rock climbing, and beautiful scenery.
Breaks interstate park: they call it the grand canyon of the southeast for a reason. Fucking stunning in the fall.
Mammoth Cave: touristy as hell but still impressive.
Carter Caves: less touristy than mamoth and still cool as hell. One cave is absolutely full of bats. At one point had to get on stomach and crawl through batshit to proceed. Would do again.
Natural Bridge state park: dont be a pussy and take the ski lift to the bridge. Hike the trail for better views (its actually a pretty impressive rock arch).
Pine mountain: go to Whitesburg and hit up pine mountain outfitters for info on the pine mountain trail. Its part of the great eastern trail that runs from Alabama to NY. I did the 30+ mile section from the KY/VA stateline to Elkhorn, it was pretty boss.
>>
>>739247
Good info here.
I'm close to Cowan in Letcher Co, but in Perry, so I'm in the middle of nowhere. Would like to have a eky /out/ing. Hiking to bad branch or just on a strip job for food and beers. Everyone knows me, so it's fairly safe lol
>>
>>739312
Sorry bro, I live in North Carolina now.
>>
>>739457
Jelly. Family I'm Boone. Going to Firefly the June maybe!
>>
>>739555
I'm in Boone too. Ever do Boone Cliffs? Down by Dinsmore Homestead?
>>
>>739704
I have not. I've only been there once, and didn't get to explore around. I know they do a lot of snowboarding and mountain biking.
>>
>>738703
What part of east ky?
>>
>>739247
I'm from Mac-Town... How old are you?
>>
Louisville here reminding you gentlemen to not forget Jefferson Memorial Forest and don't forget Cherokee Park, probably the best urban park in America.
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>737185

>Kentucky
>no shoes

and we wonder where stereotypes come from
>>
Anyone in Eastern KY should consider hiking the Sheletowee Trace. Starts in Morehead and goes roughly 300 miles south to Tennessee. Great warmup for the AT/other long trails.
>>
pls
>>
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 1022x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 1022x700
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
>>
>>739247
Do you happen to have any trail recommendations at Red River Gorge? I'm planning on coming down from Indiana for the weekend ot hike.
>>
>>737185
Live 20 mins from thwre, sweet place.
>>
>>745371
Silver Mine Arch trail is a pretty good one. Chimney Rock trail is good too.
>>
>>745371

Park in the lot near the visitor's center and take the Bison Way Trail up to Sheltowee Trace. Look up the routes to Indian Staircase and Cloud Splitter (they're technically off-trail and unofficial but the trails to them are pretty obvious). Some of the best scenery I've ever seen.

If you're looking for backpacking, check out Rough Trail and some of the shorter side trails off of it.
>>
>>742020
>Louisville
>posting in KY thread
Fuck off Louisville. No one else in KY likes Louisville.
>>
File: IMG_4694.jpg (5 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4694.jpg
5 MB, 3456x2304
>>745371
>>746409
>>746412

I'm back from RRG, it was spectacular. I'll post a couple pictures I got on the trails. Since I was new I decided to do the Auxier Ridge Trail + Courthouse rock + Double Arch + Auxier Branch Trail, and I finished up with a quick tour of the Sky Bridge.
>>
File: IMG_4675.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4675.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2304
>>747092
>>
File: IMG_4633.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4633.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>747094
>>
>>746519
Ay pussy ill break ya fuckin neck louisville is the size of like 4 fucking counties and has half the states population
>>
File: IMG_4644.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4644.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>747098
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.