[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a lighter and WD40 (or similar flammable spray) be enough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
Would a lighter and WD40 (or similar flammable spray) be enough to stop a charging bear? Animals are scared of fire generally, the question is whether or not a bear would turn tail and run or still charge through the big fireball.
>>
this thread is fake and useless to /out/. go back to >>>/b/
>>
>>737053
Fuck WD40 brake parts cleaner is waaaaay more flammable.

No idea if a bear will care though.
>>
>>737053
Are you the same person who asked if they could fend of a bear with a sword not so long ago?
>>
>>737055
Don't be a faggot, bears are dangerous and will occasionally be encountered. It's why there are such things as bear spray and guns, you fucknugget.
Bear defence is an /out/ problem, this is to discuss methods. Bear mace is debated in effectiveness, guns are also debateable, as of yet there is no 100% guaranteed method of stopping a bear from fucking you up. Using this method to scare one away is logical, deal with it.
>>
>>737053
For roughly the same weight as a can of WD40 you could get a can of UDAP. I guarantee it will repel bears better. If thats not your style I have seen Anons say fireworks scares the shit outta bears.
>>
>>737060
No, that idea was retarded, but someone in that thread did ask the question of DIY flamethrowers and it makes sense, hence this thread to discuss this potentially working idea.
>>
>>737062

From years of lurking I have heard much about both the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of pepper sprays/mace against bears, seems like a good idea for the most part, though I've heard more in favour of large guns. But even the large guns are said to sometimes be inadequate to stop a bear before it reaches and mauls you...
>>
A homemade flame thrower sounds like a great way to start a wildfire, not to mention the potential for injury.

If you don't want to carry bear spray, get a storm whistle.
>>
>>737079
The number of incidents where bear spray hasn't worked is nearly infinitesimal to the number of incidents where it has. And for most average /out/ people it's going to be easier to deploy in a stressful situation than a gun.
>>
>>737057
WD40 produces a bright flame though, I think visibility will be an issue with stopping a bear. WD40 fireball looks very different to say the fireball from a can of axe, which is blue-er in colour and less visible.
>>
You know, I think it's a toss-up between which would hurt more, a bear attack, or a can of WD-40 making a fiery explosion in your hand. This is what will happen if the stream of fluid isn't fast enough to keep the fire from following. I really think you're better off using something else.
>>
fuck bears

always worried about encountering one that is not a pussy
>>
>>737127
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

so meta

Seems like telling the bear to fuck off is most effective, followed by bear spray, followed by shooting it in the face, followed by dying
>>
>>737064
>potentially working idea
Were on to something /out/
>>
>>737079

Alaska's federal wildlife department did a study on guns vs bear spray. You can find it online. 98% of people who used bear spray came away uninjured, whereas the success rate for guns was 60%.
>>
>>737053

Grab your Mora and kill it

Fucking casuals these days
>>
>>737133
Meanwhile all of Canada doesn't need firearms when they go camping or venture forth into the wilderness
>>
>>737155

Got a source for that statistic?
>>
>>737155
Oh yeah all us Canadians do all our hunting with bows, not a single long gun up here.
Fucking retard.
>>
>>737129
Holy shit there was a fatal black bear attack relatively recently. I thought that was basically unheard of. A few years ago when I was like 15 I was in the woods hiking by myself in West Virginia and I walked literally right passed one of those fuckers. He was literally right next to the trail. At first I was alarmed but I continued walking and the bear just ignored me. I think it was eating some kind of fruit. He didn't seem scared of me, but he also wasn't aggressive. Kinda just uninterested if I remember correctly.
>>
>>737129
> only black bears where I live
> 7 fatal black bear attacks in the last 6 years
> 4 north of the border
> none in my state or bordering states

All these threads on here about packing a fucking rifle or shotgun while hiking to fend off bears... And You would be more likely to get struck by lightning than attacked by a bear. It's almost like you guys are all compensating for something....

Not to mention I get called a pussy or a retarded liberal faggot when I even mention that maybe a gun is not necessary. The data backs it up. you don't need a fucking gun when out people, and it makes me question if you people ever even go out. I have NEVER seen anyone hiking with a gun... Who am I kidding this is 4chan you guys don't go out you just like to pretend your a man and that you'll someday get a chance to kill something, pathetic

Rant over
>>
>>737133
They were spraying bears that were feeding on salmon in streams and are at the least dangerous. "There's a bear eating salmon!! Quick!! spray it!!"
>>
>>737216
This is done for the safety of the fishermen. It is common practice, a conditioning program to keep bear away from fishing grounds.
>>
>>737216

Doesn't accurately portay mace effectiveness towards an attacking bear
>>
>>737202
I carry while out. You wouldn't know if you passed me on a trail anymore than if you saw me in town. It's called concealed for a reason faggot. That said I'm aware I probably won't need it...ever. As a professional driver I've driven over a half million miles without getting in an accident and still wear my seat belt also.
>>
>>737286
All very valid points. I'm just heated over these threads I can't believe the excuses people will make to carry a gun.
>>
>>737061
There is plenty of 100% ways to stop a bear, we just don't have to try them because we know they won't take just a bear off the map.
>>
>>737171
>not killing a bear with your bare hands

Fucking Canada...
>>
>>737309
We've got NASAs best trying to work out what the fuck you're implying. If you mean nuking the bears or some mass destruction shit, get serious faggot.
>>
>>737053
Most bears identify as Rhinos, so fire won't stop them.
>>
>>737299
Why need an excuse? It's a tool like a knife or any other piece of kit. Frankly a more useful one than bear mace as far as I'm concerned. Good chance I'll never need to fend off a bear...better chance I may need to eat...how you gonna get meat with bear mace? Not saying my side arm is a great hunting implement..just a better one than pepper spray for similar weight and in an extreme situation could drop a deer if needed. One could say we make up excuses to carry knives out. Realistically round nose safety scissors would do all the tasks needed on a hike.
>>
>>737216

It was based off of bear attack statistics. They weren't spraying anything.
>>
>>737349
Well exactly! if you want to carry a gun just fucking do it. Don't tell me that you need it for protecting against bears that's horse shit. I think a knife is kind of necessary though, I feel very naked without one. Say you did get that deer how would you clean it without a knife?
>>
>>737349
Not trying to komando the thread either. I get that in other countries you're not used to guns and you've been told their danger your whole life. Just to a guy like me that owns them and grew up around them the anti gun arguments are just as confusing to me as why I want one must be to you. A knife is more multipurpose than scissors for similar weight. My sidearm is also more multipurpose than bear mace for a similar space/weight. You have to point either at the animal...ones less likely to fuck my eyes up as well and could get me food so I choose it. Try to let go of your existing feelings and weigh a gun against mace as you would any other piece of kit. I can see an argument for neither (ultralight fags) but can't fathom why if no laws stop you one would chose a can of single use spray over such a better more versatile tool. Also and I know this will make the anti guns cringe....shooting targets is fun and another out thing to do...not sure what fun I could have spending my money on bear spray? If shooting cans with a pellet gun doesn't make you smile than we are just too different to understand each other. Big guns and targets are the exact same joy.....
>>
>>737359
I carry a knife as well. Just pointing out that needing to have an excuse to carry a tool is bullshit and that an anti knife guy(who the fuk?) could make similar arguments against them as the anti gun guys do against guns. Like we clearly agree though these threads are silly as I've never needed to fend of a bear and I've spent more nights out than most of these kids have spent away from mommy's house. This thread should be renamed /gear/ the only reason I hop in sometimes is to see if there is some new piece of gear I've not seen yet lol. Just wish most folk could have as level headed a discussion as we've had so far.
>>
>>737079
>I've heard more in favour of large guns
That's because a lot of outdoor forums attract tough guy gun nuts who think large guns are the answer to everything. The actual evidence is in favor of bear spray.

I'm not against guns when /out/ and there's no reason not to bring both if it's legal where you live, but the gun is probably more effective as a noisemaker than to stop an attack.

There are only a handful of grizzlies left in the lower 48 so if you're not in Alaska or western Canada you're most likely only dealing with black bears.
>>
>>737369
Nobody here is saying you can't or shouldn't carry a gun, just that a lot of the rationalizations people use are bullshit.
>>
How about we get back on topic here rather than gun users v anti guns?
>>
>>737053
Stopped a mountain lion. Out here in California, honestly, I've been out in the woods a lot, all I have seen are black bears. Who unless you are a bitch, are really only a threat to women and childern.

I did stop a mountain lion with a flare once. Believe me or dont, but animals fear fire.
>>
>>737470
Same guy,

Not if it was charging though. Once they are in that mode you must fight, shoot, or die.
>>
>>737465
>gun users v anti guns?
it's not about guns or anti-guns, it's about some people always being perfectly OK with (and in fact adamant about) using the wrong tool for the job, so long as it's a gun

every fucking time with every fucking thing.

how do you deal with other people on the trail?
gun!

do you like to let your dog off its leash?
gun!

first camping trip what should i bring?
gun!

bears in the woods?
gun!

raccoon?
gun!

cats?
gun!

can't start a fire
gun!

shoelaces keep getting loose
gun!

ffs
>>
Black Bear would run from a flaming aeresol can, but one of them coked up Siberian Bears wouldnt care.

But maybe if you snuck up on him while he was sleeping, and sprayed his crotch with half a can of WD-40 then set his nuts onfire, he would run away
>>
>>737053
No
>>
>>737202
Retarded liberal faggot.
>>
>>737483
But its such a diverse useful tool.
>>
>>737334
>not carrying bear grenades
Shiggy diggy
>>
>>737299
>>737349
>excuses
People in support of gun rights wouldn't need to make excuses if there weren't people trying to make up reasons to remove their right to have the tool.
>>
You know what's worse than getting mauled by a bear?

Getting mauled by a flaming hell bear. If something is going to be on you like stink on a skunk do you really want to set it on fire a fraction of a second before its on you?
>>
>>737636
Please let this be a real thing
>>
>>737061
>guns are debatable

They're a much better option than using a lighter and WD40 lmao also

>10mm Glock with a 14 round mag
>not a sure way to kill a bear

Smh
>>
>>737202
>you're dumb and have a small weenie because you exercise your right to self defense and don't want to be a victim of bear attacks

If people want to carry while out why the fuck should they not? The statistics don't mean it's impossible to be attacked while a bear, just that it's unlikely. Why not be prepared for an attack of any kind by carrying a counter measure that could help you survive/save your life?
>>
Fire is a bad idea in a forest.

>>737664
You're correct, glock isn't a sure way to kill a charging bear in time to save your weak gun toting ass, good luck with those claws.

Why do gun nuts advocate their micropenis compensation devices over mace?
>>
would a pic related 120-140db personal keychain alarm keep a mean bear away or would the noise make it even more angry?
>>
>>737133
I don't need a gun for the bears I need it for the skinwalkers
>>
>>737900
maybe, but i would tuns trust my life or limb(s) to it
>>
>>737905
>gun
>skinwalkers
RIP in peace anon

you should really be making an unbroken perimiter of salt ƒam
>>
>>737646
This is a very important note to consider.
Perhaps napalm spray could disable it AND set it on fire so it doesn't still attack you?
>>
>>737343
Underrated post. The gods MUST be crazy.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.