[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weather Stories Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
Amusing weather stories thread

This just happened

>visiting parents for weekend
>have younger eleven year old brother
>Arizona
>dark clouds in sky
>was raining earlier
>heavy thunder starts
>bro goes outside and stands on a rock in backyard
>looks at sky
>Dovahkiin.mp3
>shouts "smite me almighty smiter"
>heavy as fuck thunder a split second later
>starts to pour
>other siblings and I trying to not laugh our asses off

Pic related, is rock he stood on
>>
>>735587
I'm glad he's ok. I was expecting either he was gonna get struck/nearly struck by lightning or pelted mercilessly with hail.

I don't feel greentexting but I got struck by lightning when I was 16. Ok greentext time...
>be me
>be 16
>abnormally hot june
>severe thunderstorm warning
>tornado warning (imminent)
>parents go to bed
>me and brother stay up to watch the weather
>hear what sounds like a freight train coming
>window screens start blowing around almost ripping
>we all scamper down into the basement
>power goes out immediately
>worst storm i've ever seen in my life
>constant lightning, thunder, howling
>out the cellar windows you can see the silhouettes of all the trees outside bending left then bending right in the strobe light of the lightning
>suddenly huge explosion in my face
>like someone just blew my head off point-blank with a shotgun
>wake-up 10ft away with everyone hovering over me
the house got hit by lightning and apparently a bolt traveled down through the electrical conduit to the panel next to me and blasted me. half the appliances and electronics in the house were fried, the tv that was next to me was literally cracked and blackened

also OP i hope your brother outgrows that shit before he reaches fedora age
>>
Went fishing once and it was pouring down rain, like just fuck my shit up family. Ended up catching over 100 catfish ranging from 2 to 20lb within a hour. We had 6 rods out and it was just like heron jig fishing at a dam. Had our freezer packed for months. I made deep fried fish sticks at least once a day.

Also we went camping once during a hurricane storm. We were about 200 miles inland and thought we wouldn't get much more than rain. We ended up having high power wind that blew our gear all over the place. We ended up getting back to the SUV and slept in it for 2 days before the road wasn't flooded for us to get out.
>>
File: IMG_68201.jpg (597 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_68201.jpg
597 KB, 2048x1536
Far north west phoenix fag here, I love this weather.

Pic related, took it on my way home.
>>
>>735610
tfw i miss living in the boonies

:(
>>
File: 20150709_204850[1].jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150709_204850[1].jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>735587
>>
>>735772
We were staying at a friend's ranch in Colorado when the winds shifted and hit almost 40mph. I managed to catch it before the front hit
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>735595
Glad ur alive bby

This one was years ago
>visiting St. Pete Beach on vacation
>storms come rolling in, see funnel cloud in the water
>everybody on the beach runs for their lives
>12 year old me just stands there watching the water spout while the beach is empty
>funnel comes up onto beach right by me and dies off 100yds away

Florida tornadoes are nothing compared to midwest tornadoes though, so there really wasn't much danger. Especially since debris is the main problem and it had been over the water.

Pic related was some tornado producing cloud that went a right over my house a couple weeks ago. It was cool watching the circulation.
>>
>>735786
thanks peps i'm glad you survived too.
>>
>>735610
I hate pretty much everything about the southwest (and especially the weather, as I'm both photophobic and very, very light-skinned; the most comfy place I've ever been to was southeast Alaska because even in mid-August it was overcast and drizzling 90% of the time and didn't crack 75F - I was in heaven) but desert thunderstorms are incomparable. The intensity, the backdrop, the colors, everything about them is just absolutely magnificent. I experienced one as a kid on a road trip in New Mexico and I can still remember it vividly.

>>735775
>40mph
Ahaha oh man, that's nothing. Even discounting our tornadoes, freak F12+ winds are a fairly regular occurrence all over and at pretty much any time of the year because wind that's present for whatever reason (ie. not just one thing, like the Polar Jet) gets funneled along the mountain ranges; in the spring it's not unusual to see trucks and vans on the side of the interstate that have literally been blown over by the wind and there are hazardous weather conditions and everything. In the house I grew up in as a kid the fastest wind we ever clocked ourselves was ~110kph sometime in March. That was in a particularly windy day in a particularly windy area, but still. Not to mention our absolutely brutal hail, either; pretty much everyone in Colorado gets a new roof from the insurance company at least once or twice a decade.
>>
>drive through snowstorm
>find myself locked out of house in the middle of the night
>slept in car
>caught a cold
>>
Only thing noteworthy I can remember is waking up one Sunday morning to an extremely loud bang, I thought somewhere in the next room some large furniture had fallen over. Turned out massive lightning struck a couple houses away. One neighbour already being up at the time (a little closer to where it struck) had several TVs roasted and saw light arcs coming from the outlets
>>
>>735981
And that's why you always should have survival blankets in your car.
>>
funkiest weather to happen to me was on a lake

My father is an avid sailor, an when we were old enough, he bought a smallish boat for us to learn on. Sunflower class yawl, maybe 15 feet long, 5 wide, 20ft mast, weighs less than 100lbs fully loaded (minus crew, duh) but over a hundred square feet of sail area - thats a LOT for a boat that size.

Anyway, vacationing at the German northern coast, we went to Wilhelmshaven and put the boat on the Bantersee, "lake banter". Fun fact, this lake is actually the former reichs navy u-boat haven, but in '46 the brits decided we don't need that anymore and filled up the entrance channel with debris and whatnot.

>dad, sis and me on Bantersee
>nice day
>cruising up and down the lake at like 5 knots, enjoying ourselves
>weather changes
>dad notices
>we kids don't (sis and I were like 12 and 14 at the time)
>sail to shore
>tie boat to tree
>go inland under some trees
>dad goes to take a shit somewhere
>starts to rain
>turns out, dad was right, weather is changing
>sis is like, oh crap we need to fasten the sails on the boat
>runs off towards the boat
>naw its probably fine, the lake was flat like a mirror just a minute ago
>sis screams in the distance
>wut
>look over
>boat is rolling like 40° to either side
>wtf is she doing
>sis screams for me again
>run over, she best not drown
>arrive at boat
>wind has picked up
>within a minute or so, lake went from mirror to 2-3ft choppy waves
>the boat's sides are only like 1ft tall
>fuck
>jump into boat, help sis fix the sails
>get some more ropes to wrap around the boom(?)
>and some more to tie the boat to shore (i.e. to trees and a bench)
>meanwhile it starts raining
>as in, the-world-is-ending-today amounts of rain
>get sis under some trees nearby

cont.
>>
>>736322
cont.
>sis is like lol, did you run through there to get here? &points at the track in the grass that I made
>yea wh... oh shit, those are nettles
>my feet hurt
>only now realize this
>actually massive burns on my legs
>lol screw it, nice saving the boat, sis.
>where the hell is dad anyway
>having one of his famous 20 minute shits?
>eh
>eventually rain and wind stops
>"eventually", actually it only took like 5 minutes
>lake is flat again
>dad returns
>we saved the boat, dad
>he doesn't believe us
>until we show him the water in the boat
>and all the ropes HE certainly didn't put there
>great job kids
>we also managed to loose one of the sail slats (lil flat piece of wood that you stick in a pocket in the sail to stiffen it)
>eh whatever, we had had the boat for 3 years at that time, bought it used for next to nothing (600DM I believe, ~$250US in today's currency)
>sis is too scared of the weather now to sail the boat back to where we parked our car
>thus, walks around the lake
>dad and I sail back
>on the way, we notice something floating in the water
>the fucking sail slat
>lols were had (although that may have not been a word back then)
>get the boat out of the water and back on the trailer
>dad takes us to mcdonalds
>tells us "don't tell mum about the weather today, women don't understand adventures"
>I nod
>sis nods
>drive home
>tell mum we had fun, the bad weather she had did totally not affect us at all

A few years later, sadly the boat is somewhat broken and in a state of disrepair that I would not go out with it again - especially the rigging is getting quite old. Fun memories though.

lol, captcha wants me to select "large bodies of water".
gg google.
>>
>>736046
>>736046
We had this bad storm maybe 5 years ago, worst thunderstorm in years and everybody's power was out for days. My neighbor 2 houses down, the telephone pole in his backyard got struck by lightning. The top 20% of it was on the ground and electrical wires were on the ground in out backyard.

The telephone pole was just smoldering like an incense for days. They called the fire department and electric company, and they both said just let it burn because they had other damage to take care of and it was too risky to spray a bunch of water with the the power lines on the ground. You could just see the ember glowing at night, and the thing burnt down 10' or 15' over the course of a couple days.
>>
>be me 11 camping with the senpai
>out on lake Powell when the storm rolls in
>kind poeple let us take shelter in their rented house boat
>waiting for a brake in the wind to make a mad dash across the lake
>watch a tent full of stuff pull it's stakes out of the sand it was on and fly up
>watch it raise almost vertical all the way over the 100ft rock cliff face
>good bye tent
>we have a little 16ft boat
>Time to run the race
>I'm sitting in the middle of the boat as we go over 5-10ft waves
>I'm getting 3 or 4 feet of air over every bump
big lakes get big waves
>>
>be 16 head out to my buddys NM place
>place is in a shallow valley
>they have a small farm that some guy works and they more or less just have a house on
>we smoke pot and do stupid teenager stuff
>clean up the weeds and demo a room then new sheet rock and shit like that
>storms roll in we pull the couch out into the yard
>smoke and watch rain fall above us and burn off befor it hits the ground
Shit was cool but there is fuck all to do other then drugs and/or have kids right after high school
>>
>>736323
>Women don't understand adventures
Words to live by.
>>
> Be me
> 2015
> Holidays in Japan
> Taking a boat trips in one of the famous rivers of Japan, really near the coast of the island,
> Tsunami comes
> The boat gets dragged into the ocean
> Spend 5 days living off fish

Now I have mercury posioning
>>
>Puttering around alone on a somewhat large lake in a small flatbottom motorboat
>Forecast says maybe storms, no clouds in sight tho
>Wind suddenly whips up
>No ramp or dock within 10 min putter
>waves become too intense to drive in
>Kill motor and lay flat in the bottom of the boat
>drift on a choppy sea and watch intermittent rainclouds drift overhead

Besides getting hit by some cold rain it was one of the most beautiful things ive experienced
>>
>>735587
>work for the Australian weather bureau
>posted to Cocos (Keeling) Islands
>deep low/baby TC hits island while I'm out having beers and a fire on the beach
>go to bed for work
>house on stilts, shakes all night, feel like the whole house is going to tip over as he rainfall pounds the roof
>fucking scary
>wake up early morning, pitch black.
>walk downstairs to go to work, reach bottom of stairs, put food in 6 inches of water
>apparantly islands a few hundred ,enters wide can flood
>drive to work, airport perimeter track flooded, can't get through
>drive car onto runway, hoon down it trying to find the weather station in extremely heavy rain. Visibility ~50m
>find it thanks to leaving the lights on the day before....barely
Cont...
>>
>>738716
>get weary thing turned on. Check to see shit is working.
>wind fucking 70 knots mean or something epic
>rainfall already over 100mm on TBRG
>run out to autosonde (balloon launcher), struggle to open door the wind is so strong.
>get the cunt of a machine working, launch balloon
>thing barely makes it out of the hatch
>office now flooding
>jacket soaked through
>towel up the office and block the bottom of the doors
>fucking 8 oktas +RA epic nimbostratus
>balloon flight fails, rain too heavy
>call forecasting centre, abandon balloon hopes
>battle to 9am synop, empty completely overflowing rain gauge and Evap pan
>keep up with that all day walking through floods and shit
>record all time record rainfall

>
>>
>>738721
This shit kept up for 3 days. In the end we recorded 742mm in those days. I didn't see the sun once. Shit got fucking rekt.

I'll post some pictures if I remember to in the morning.
>>
>tfw I live in Southern California
>We get our famous Santa Ana winds now and then
>They're the super warm dry winds that cause Malibu to burn up every few years
>If we're having Santa Ana winds, you can guarantee it's trash day
>One day with exceptional winds, trash cans are knocked over, my neighborhood is now a land fill
>Go outside to pick up our cans
>Turn around, the mountain at the end of my street is on fire
>tfw three years later, thanks to our stupid fucking drought, the hills are still bare where it burned.
>>
File: MVI_4658.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
MVI_4658.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Another thing to add in generally is the extremely variable and unpredictable weather any time of the year. For example in July, it can be a high of up to 40°C with 16 hours of uninterrupted scorching sun, but just a couple days earlier or later it may not exceed 13°C with not a single blue spot in the sky and 24+ hours of constant rain like this
Such is life at 50°N (outside the stable subtropical summer high pressure system)
>>
>>739009
Likewise, some December/January nights may not drop below 10°C if we get wet West wind from the Atlantic, while in extremely rare cases it can go down to -18 (if wind comes from the East/Siberia over an extended period)
>>
>>735587

Fellow desert fag here. Lived in Tucson for years, I'm actually living in Flagstaff at the moment but relocating again to Phoenix in June.

Maybe it's from living in the desert so long, but thunderstorms make me feel better than damn near anything else. When the monsoons would roll in in Tucson, usually just in time for me to be getting off of work, man, that feel. Even on days when I rode my motorcycle and the downpour started just in time for my evening commute, I couldn't even be mad. I kept a zip-lock in my backpack for my phone and made the most of it. Crashing through washes, rain streaking off your visor, letting go and accepting being completely soaked.

Fuck, I miss it.

One thing I liked about Tucson was most of it had a ton of natural desert and washes mixed in with the urban areas, and from where I lived it was only 10-15 minutes to the open desert. 30 minutes to the Catalina foothills. I'm not sure what the area's surrounding Phoenix are like, but I hope it isn't too awful.
>>
>>735587
arizona can have some wicked rain storms. But I thought they were mostly in fall. Anyway I guess some rain is a good thing in that region.
>>
>>735587
>go camping with uncle and gramma
>super hot day
>go swimming
>sky turns form bright and sunny to black in fifteen minutes
>golf ball sized hail clocking everyone
>car windows being shattered
>hour later
>bright and sunny
>over 100F
>nearly everyones cars had broken windows and dents

>go camping with uncle
>cant get tent fixed up the right way
>gets dark so we go to bed
>severe thunderstorm warning happens
>cant sleep because it sounds like a warzone
>everything goes bright
>hear a tree break
>half a tree trunk collapses onto my tent mere inches from my feet
>sleep in another tent and spend two days carving the trunk into a walking stick

>go camping with uncle and best friend at the time
>get to the spot at 1pm in the afternoon
>make japanese style curry with carrots, beef, and potatoes for lunch
>2pm
>sky is pitch black
>hailing ice cube sized hail
>thunder everywhere
>watching tornado from shelter two miles away
>three inches of water on campsite
>phone shorted out
>tent is halfway underwater

I don't go camping with my uncle anymore.
>>
>i spend literally no time outside
>there is a thunderstorm over the ocean but it's calm
>decide that it's perfect weather for long exposure lightning photography
>drive down with some gear and park on a quiet spot by the coast
>get out and walk to the edge of the old boardwalk
>find that the tripod for my camera is impractical, so I use a custom clamp thing
>have the radio on local am public radio (mostly to hear the lightning as interference)
>the cracks on the radio get increasingly louder, but i fail to realise what that means
>there is a loud bang quite close and it starts to rain
>it's only light so i pull out the umbrella to keep going
>the wind picks up suddenly and it starts hailing
>the umbrella flies off inland and the radio falls off the boardwalk
>can actually feel the hail almost like rubber bullets
>grab my stuff and quickly head back to the car
>i can't see --the rain has eliminated visibility and my eyes are closed in pain
>get back to the car and it's parked so that i can use the side for shelter
>can't find the keys
>realise have fallen out of my shallow pockets
>everything in my hands is getting saturated
>there is only a little water under the car so i throw everything under to head back for the keys
>on my way back to the boardwalk the lights on the walk and most of the nearby houses go out
>luckily the keys are wedged in between planks and sticking out so they are easily found without sight
>get back to the car
>water is almost in the door and my gear has washed down the gutter, caught only by the thin leaf filter which is swamped by debris
>fish it out and head into the car
>while i'm driving home there is a severe weather warning on the radio, advising people to stay indoors
The camera survived through some feat of magic. Even fully processed the photo that it was taking while it was submerged.
I've not been that retarded since.
>>
File: destroyed.png (14 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
destroyed.png
14 KB, 1024x768
>>736046
We had an outdoor TV aerial struck by lightning a few years ago (10m tall tower, because it's out of town).
It was like in the diagram (red = destroyed, green = working afterwards).
The aerial was fine. It was mostly thick metal, it's survival was expected.
The signal booster it was connected to was fucked.
The DVD recorder connected to the aerial was fine.
The TV was fucked. The tube had marks on it.
The powerboard connecting the two to the powerpoint was fine.
The wall socket was fucked. Parts of it had melted.

The only thing that my electrician father could say was "lightning is a tricky cunt".
>>
>>736121

They don't do shit. Had to break one out last weekend, short story is that they might barely stop you from dying but they sure as fuck won't make you comfy.
>>
>>736323
>women don't understand adventures

Very true anon.
>>
After the Sydney storms a while back I went to my usual /out/ daytrip place.

There was a thicket of trees that had actually been torn from the ground. Like, I used to hang hammocks up near there, and the entire section of maybe 7x5m group had been lifted up like a hinge.
>>
>>741004
i-i understand adventures ;_;
>>
>>738723
Awesome story. Always wanted to work for the BOM growing up. Sounds lile a cool job.
>>
>Doing radio telemetry innawoods up innamountains
>Hike down into a gulley with steep sides because we were getting close
>All of a sudden heavy rain and lightning
>Can't get the equipment wet and we're basically carrying a lightning rod so hunker down and wait the storm out
>It pours on us for at least an hour and we're soaked, but at least the expensive equipment is dry
>It starts to lighten up a bit so we continue down the drainage to a road nearby to hike back up to the truck
>The creek running through the drainage has all sorts of fallen trees and widow makers everywhere and we have to crawl through that and a lot of greenbrier
>Slippery rocks everywhere and fall multiple times while trying to get out, equipment barely saved each time
>Another hour and a half of this to get to the road
>Make it and get some cell service, boss is blowing up my phone
>Call her and relay what happened
>"Well anon it looks like it's starting to clear up, why don't you try looking for this bat..."
>As soon as she says it, it starts pouring harder
>"I think we're done for the day"
>Hike another 45 minutes in the rain back to the truck and drive 2 hours back to our duty station
>12 hour day

We drank heavily and went to a Chinese buffet and pigged out that night.
>>
>>743731

Tell us about your latest one then, and post pics.
>>
>>743917
Not her but why don't you tell us all about your "latest adventure"? Dick.
>>
This one is pretty stupid but here goes.

>be 16
>driving around country with girl
>go on cool backroad I know about
>drive further than I have before and see mud up ahead
>"I can make it over if I go fast!"
>nope.avi
>stuck in family's station wagon
>make out with girl a little
>realize I'm fucked and try to dig car out
>call a couple friends to try to tow me out
>couldn't find anywhere to attach chains to...
>continue digging
>suddenly trees in dista xe start disappearing into darkness
>a massive rainstorm approaches
>suddenly it's just fucking dumping
>never experienced heavier rain in my life
>vet in friends truck and go back to a different friends house with girl because hiding from parents who will be enraged
>friend not home
>garage is unlocked
>have sex with girl in friends garage
>everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg
>go home and get bitched out
That was a weird but really good summer
>>
>driving home from spring break on I-10 West
>45 minutes outside of Tallahassee
>Starts raining harder than I have ever seen in my fucking life
>literally cannot see more than 10 meters in front of me
>slow down to 30mph, rain sounds like it's going to break through my windshield
>assholes flying past me at 60+mph
>eventually rain stops
>get into stand still traffic jam
>traffic finally lets up, and we drive past at least 15 cars all over the side of the road

Another story
>in my bio lab until 9pm
>sunny when I went in at 6, suddenly pouring rain
>rode my bike there, dorm is about a mile away
>fuck it, start riding slowly (so muddy water didn't get kicked up on my nice sweater)
>riding along in the torrential downpour
>no one else is outside, campus is completely empty
>discover the interesting aesthetic of heavy rain illuminated by street-lamps

Apart from being soaking wet, it was a pretty comfy experience.
>>
>>744171

>whiteknight.fag
>>
>>744171

Really, what's so bad about asking that? This is /out after all, femanon... uh I mean "anon".
>>
File: Hiking trip Sweden.jpg (735 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Hiking trip Sweden.jpg
735 KB, 2048x1536
>Hiking trip in Sweden with buddies
>We were camping where ever we wanted because of the glorious "Allemansrätten"
>We were in the backyard of a big vacation house at the lake
>Made a big tarp between two trees, that we could sleep under (pic related) facing the lake
>Everything was well and we were chilling
>Went to bed after a good meal, everything was fine
>Suddenly at night we wake up by heavy wind and the sound of rain hitting water
>We could see the rain coming closer and closer from the other side of the lake
>the wind direction is hitting directly into the tarp
>the rain hits us but we just crawl further under the tarp
>wind suddenly pulls the tarp off the ground, but it's still connected to the two trees
>Everything is chaos and we storm with our sleeping bags into our emergency tent
>spent the rest the night 5 guys in a two man tent

It was chaos in the middle of the night, but quite a fun experience as well. The morning everything was wet, luckily we had rain covers over our bags, so they stayed dry.
>>
File: Hiking trip Sweden2.jpg (940 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Hiking trip Sweden2.jpg
940 KB, 2048x1536
>>744889
This was the Morning after.
>>
>week before midsummer
>on a week long hiking trip with a friend
>got our bikes but mostly hike
>plan is to bike maybe a ten kilometres and hike the rest few kilometres to a hut
>half way it starts to snow pretty much out of the blue (note that it's the middle of the summer)
>the snow melts right away it lands
>all the clothes are wet
>the snow blocks the view a bit
>can't read the map properly because of the rain
>wet clothes makes us cold
>decide to turn back because there's a cabin village much closer than the hut
>rent a cabin
>change to dry clothes
>take a nap
>wake up and go to sauna and drink a few beers
>continue the trip normally next morning
>>
>>743748
Unfortunately they dont hire observers anymore because the country is broke. I became a met and now I just work in an office and wish I was /out/.
>>
>>744889

1 tarp between 5 guys? And not setting it up at least like pic related

>5 guys in a two man tent
Sounds pretty fuckin gay, anon
>>
>>744905

Ever seen that ABC docco about the BOM guys from Matsyker Island?
>>
File: img_2366.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
img_2366.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
>>744920

Like pic related
>>
>>744920
>>744924
>Sounds pretty fucking gay anon
Well, we were all in sleeping bag and as long as balls don't touch etc.
That's a nice tarp setup, we only had one long peice of rope though, so we probably couldn't have made it like that.
We had brought two tents for the trip. one two man and a three-to four man tent. The plan before the trip was to sleep in those.
This was just a quick idea we got, cause it fit the view, and we had the tarp with us. Also the weather was amazing when we went to bed and we'd been drinking(+ snus), so we didn't even think about rain at that moment.
>>
My story:

>today
>Live in boston
>75 F
>Melt
>>
>>745318
>Live in boston
Windy as fuck today in Boston
>>
File: IMGP5828.jpg (201 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5828.jpg
201 KB, 1000x662
Where I live we haven't gotten a good thundersto'm in years. Last couple summers everytime there's been a bad storm in the forecast it ends-up passing us to the north or south and we don't get shit. I've setup my action camera in the yard and gotten nothing, I've setup my recording rig and gotten nothing.

Last night we had our first thunderstorm of the year and surprise surprise - it ended-up missing us.

HOWEVER - I did manage to get a really sumptuous recoding of the distant thunder. It's not a storm really but it's the best yet. This thunderstorm thing has become my white whale.

https://youtu.be/AUoNC6TogMg
>>
>>746996

>Afternoon thunder

That's what I call my post-lunch bathroom break at work
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>747212
>>
>>735759

I wouldn't trade it for anything. Long commute yes, but totally worth it.
>>
File: NopeNopeNope.jpg (28 KB, 215x266) Image search: [Google]
NopeNopeNope.jpg
28 KB, 215x266
> in boundary waters
> just made 2nd portage and look up to see evil looking clouds
> paddle faster
> try and reach shore when torrential rain hit
> I am half way
> I am soaked and miserable by the time I reach shore
> still pouring out
> set up canoe and tarp into a shelter
> have a camp stove that I fire up till I get tent set up
> cook a bowl of ramen noodles and some hot coco
> take out sleeping bag
> strip down to bra and panties
> curl up in sleeping bag
> ran does not let up until around midnight
> emerge from shelter around 6am
> continue my trek
> almost to my camp when rain starts again
> paddle in rain and again set up canoe and tarp into a shelter
> strip out of my 2nd set of clothing to bra and panties again
> curl up in blanket
> rain does not stop till the next morning mid day
> emerge from shelter
> dry cloths
> set up tent
> rain hits again later that night
> comfy cozy while I listen to the rain that night.

It rain 5 out of the 11 days I was there. Pretty crappy trip but it was also my comfiest because I was stuck in my tent and warm and took the time to read and do a little writing.
>>
>>738646

I have one similar:

>Me and two buddies fishing on local lake in 14' fiberglass bass boat
>Right in the middle
>Jigging bass off underwater ridge
>All facing same direction, catching fish, having good time.
>Sudden calm....too calm
>Turn around and see what looks like a wall of white approaching from one side of the lake to the other
>Norther
>Shit pants
>Boat ramp out of the question so head for nearest shoreline
>Storm catches us
>Two of us get on bow to keep boat from flipping
>Over one wave, through the next
>By some miracle we make it to a nice sloping bank and run up on it
>Praise buddy's dad for installing oversized bilge pump

That's one of the few times I put on a damn life jacket since I was 14.
>>
>>749098

I was out there one September when a front blew through (a ways East of Lac la Croix). Luckily, we had already set up camp. It dumped on us. A bunch of pine duff blocked the drainage around the tent and on one side, it was at least two inches deep. The tent seams held - goddamn awesome Eureka tent. But after the rain passed the wind kicked up something fierce. Two of my party were inexperienced in the back country and I didn't teach them to set their tent away from widow-makers. I was awake for two hours listening to deadfall. A 50'+ tree missed their tent by about 10 feet.
>>
>>735587

>Head to West end of Galveston Island to go wade fishing in the bay
>Wade out 1/2 mile or so
>Few other fishermen around but closest was several hundred yards
>Fishing is good
>Load do-net with trout,sheepshead, gafftopsail, croaker
>Hours go by
>Facing North the whole time
>Notice no other fishermen around, think nothing of it
>Continue fishing
>Hear low rumbling behind me, turn around
>See Pacific front roaring across gulf dropping lightning every few seconds
>7' graphite rod in hand
>6' graphite rod on back
>Tallest thing for 1/2 mile (at least).
>Fuck
>Pick up do-net full of fish and try to move as fast as possible in chest deep water.
>Chest deep water finally becomes thigh deep water as I get closer to shore (and my car)
>Half way there, storm getting closer, hear rod tips sizzling
>Take rod off back and double up with rod in hand, hold them underwater as I'm moving
>Water shin-deep, start running as best I could
>Make it to car and throw shit in just as bottom falls out.
>Within 30 seconds of getting in the car, lightning strikes a disconnected power pole less than 100 yards away
>>
>>739377
You sound like a lameass.
>>
>>749098

You canoed the boundary waters yourself? For how long, and what time of year? Interested in going back alone after I did Northern Tier.
>>
>>749124
lucky about the trees.

>>749457
Usually once a summer for about 7-10 days and in late July early August.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.