[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have some fun, /out/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: FB_IMG_1460163027871.jpg (108 KB, 1160x1256) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460163027871.jpg
108 KB, 1160x1256
Let's have some fun, /out/.
>>
Hammock knife pot mirror
>>
File: flying.jpg (18 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
flying.jpg
18 KB, 800x450
tent, inflatable raft, weed, weed
>>
>>734297
What's on the island? Are we talking a shitty little sand mound with a palm tree, or are we talking full on Robinson Crusoe 15 years or more worth of survival?
>>
>>734297
Knife, hunting rifle, flare gun, and insect repellent assuming it is flamable. I feel like I could make something dangerous and eventually blow myself up. I'll find some Christian tortoises and go Jihad on them. 77 virgins nigga!
>>
>>734336

I believe tortoises are atheist. You should go Jihad on any help that comes. This is your island now. Don't let any government oppress your lifestyle choices.
>>
Knife weed, weed, weed.
Or if the weed has seeds: knife, water purifier, tarp, weed.
>>
>>734297
the essentials her are boots, pot, knife and first aid kit.

First aid kit is interchangeable with matches and fishing rod though
>>
>>734401
*here
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1170x1256) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1170x1256
why anyone even thinks about picking tent or hammock over tarp confuses me
>>
File: 1460163073259.png (1 MB, 1709x1263) Image search: [Google]
1460163073259.png
1 MB, 1709x1263
>>734297
Easy free life
>>
>pot
>tarp
>knife
>water purifier

I can eat, drink, and the torrential rains won't kill me.
>>
>>734413

You can canibalize the tent for materials to build other things.
>>
Knife, because knife.
Pot, boils water, purifies water.
First aid kit, ouchies.
Handsaw, building shit with wooden nails.
>>
>>734413
>You can chose 4 of the following
>chooses 5

You wouldn't survive if you brought all 25.

Matches
Knife
Tent
Fishing rod (it's an island)
>>
Tarp, flashlight, water purifier and knife.

>>734492
He chose 4, bro.
>>
Tent first aid kit knife and the weed that's all u need knife to potentially hunt boar and knife tent weed !! Weed!!! WEEEED! 4:20 blaze it erryday!
>>
Raft, flare gun, tarp, fishing rod
I'm getting off this island.
Use tarp to collect rainwater, fishing rod to catch fish for food.
>>
5 oz weed, ipod, sunscreen, hunting rifle

get stoned out of my mind listening to yeasayer, pass out without a horrible sunburn, wake up and then shoot myself
>>
>>734297
Pot, knife, first aid kit, boots. I was going to say flare gun instead of boots initially, but you could quite easily make a signal fire with all of the readily available green plants on an island
>>
>>734413
>Tent = Fly + Inner Mesh + Poles

Tarp objectively worse than tent, it's like getting the tent and then throwing away everything except the fly.

My 4: pot, knife, rifle, first aid.

Tent is very tempting but not enough to forfeit one of those 4.
>>
>>734767
Plus stakes and most have a repair kit and guy lines.
>>
>>734297
>knife: once it gets dull, sharpen it with rocks
>pot (the metal one):
>flashlight: can also use the batteries to start a fire
>tarp: because fucking hell rain is annoying. also able to make a rain collector
>>
>>734519

How to you plan to smoke it? What do you use for a pipe, or lighting it in the first place?
>>
Fishing rod
Water purifier
Knife
Matches

Rod will get me food and the water purifier will allow me to hydrate. Build a shelter with the knife, gut fish, matches for fires
>>
>>734928
>how to smoke
app on the ipod
>>734767
>first aid
trade it for the tent, I'd probably trade the rifle for something else as well, Have to think on that.
>>
Knife, fishing rod, water purifier, tent
>>
>>734297
Boots because coral will fuck your shit up, long with stonefish.
Pot because it makes life a thousand times easier.
Rope because it has dozens of practical uses and would keep you from needing to hand make rope.
The fourth depends on the environment. You say desert island, does that mean only sand and plants, no rocks? No animals? Whats on the island?
If there are Rocks plentiful on the island, then skip the knife and saw, make stone tools.
If there are no rocks, take the knife and use it sparingly.
>>
Pot: Collect rain water/boil freshwater
Hand Saw: Build more substantial shelter and other useful things. Could potentially polish to reflect sunlight as a fire starter.
Knife: Obvious reasons
First Aid Kit: More likely to die of injury than anything else
>>
tent, knife , matches and pot
>>
Tent, Knife, Pot, Fishing Gear

Anyone not picking the tent is fucking insane. It keeps you out of the rain and gives you a "home" space. Bugs, rats, crabs, snakes, whatever will fuck with you if you don't have a tent. Good luck doing anything on zero sleep because rats keep crawling over you. Even if it doesn't last -- you will need it while you construct a real shelter, and the material can be cannibalized for other things later (hammocks, bedding bundles, etc).
>>
>>734297

>Hammock

Keeps you off the sand with flees and other nasties. Also keeps you off the ground during storms when it's wet.

>Tarp

Spanned over hammock for complete weather protection.

>Pot

For boiling water and cooking
>>
>>735169

Forgot 4th item...

>1st Aid kit

To prevent infections and can have some handy uses like medical gloves to store water and might even have knitting kit and scalpel for catching fish and cleaning them.
>>
>>734297
>>734297
Pot - water purification / cooking
Tent - short term shelter / long term materials for other uses
Knife - no brainier
First aid - looks substantial and the case looks like it can hold water.
>>
>>734297
Pot, mirror, rope, matches
>>
File: 1460163073259.jpg (267 KB, 1160x1256) Image search: [Google]
1460163073259.jpg
267 KB, 1160x1256
>>734297
>smoke all of the weed
>float out too sea on raft
>take one last look at myself in mirror
>use hunting rifle to kill myself
>>
>>734297
>pot
>knife
>tarp
>matches

This is objectively the best for long term survival, unless youre good at making friction fire, then you can swap matches for a first aid kit
>>
>>734767
It gets interesting though if it is a large tarp vs a small tent but average tent vs average tarp tent wins all day
>>
>>734297
Without much info

-Pot
Boiling water for consumption, stewing fish and game, refining fruit sugars for storage. I think this would take care of 40% of food concerns.

-Knife
Good multipurpose tool, can be used to make other tools, would prefer hatchet...

-Hunting rifle
Hopefully a .243 winchester, small enough to not mangle birds and rodents, large enough to take out a small boar

-First aid kit
Contingency baby, I could also an hero on advil and rubbing alcohol if it comes to it.
>>
>>735972
why the tarp and not the tent?
>>
>>734297
>weed
>weed
>weed
>hunting rifle
I don't think I need to spell this one out
>>
>>736202
>>734503
>>734382
>>734301
>>734519
Stoners too dumb to bring anything to light up with.
>>
Knife, pot, water purifier and flare gun
Knife to cut stuff/kill stuff
Pot to cook meals and not just have raw veggies or roasted meat.
Water purifier to.. Purify water.
Flare gun on the off chance I can be saved.
>>
>>736220
Stoners are pretty resourceful. If they are tryin to get high, they will find a way to burn that weed that you have never thought of.
>>
>>734297
rope
tarp
flare gun
water purifier
>>
Knife, pot, raft, tent

knife because knife
pot for cooking and water boiling
raft for shelter and water storage
tent because the island is bound to be full of mosquitos waiting to drain my blood at night

>people acting all superior about some people not bringing a firestarter
all of the firestarting items would run out quickly or work about as well as improvised firestarters. primitive firestarting sucks, but given enough time I can light a fire with quartz and carbon steel or with the hardwood-softwood method. if there's nothing to burn on the island then I'd have to figure out how to use the pot as a solar still and I'd have to pull seaweed out of the ocean and dry it for cooking fuel.
>>
Water purifier, rifle, tarp, and matches
>>
File: my4.png (19 KB, 1154x546) Image search: [Google]
my4.png
19 KB, 1154x546
>>734297
>Tarp
Shelter, Collect rain water, Use it to create condensation from pot and collect fresh water. Multiple other uses.
>Fishing Rod
Get food, fish are pretty much a given as a food supply. Might be nothing else.
>Pot
Cook shit in. Boil water.
>Knife
Cut shit up, make new tools n shit.
>>
weed
weed
hammock
vitamins
>>
Water purifier
Tent
Knife
First aid kit
>>
>>734297
Tent, boots, pot & knife
>>
>>734413
You can escape the sun, rain and bugs in a tent
>>
>>734297
Weed, weed, weed & knife. The island will provide. Who knows maybe I'll get a seed. But with my luck it will be male.
>>
File: super sme.jpg (270 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
super sme.jpg
270 KB, 600x429
>knife
>pot
>tent
>matches

These are the 5 (4) c of survival, since you can scavange cord in any beach around the world. Any other answer beside this is wrong. Thanks, mr Dave Canterbury
>>
weed
ipod
knife
hammock

spend as much time as possible getting stoned off your ass before you kill yourself with the knife! Fun times!
>>
File: 1460471584577.jpg (155 KB, 827x550) Image search: [Google]
1460471584577.jpg
155 KB, 827x550
>>734297
Flare Gun: Yes signal fires can work, but on an island your best bet is a passing ship... flares are a universal SOS.
Vitamins: When I get low on potassium my toes cramp.
Pot: You can boil the saltwater and with a tube get clean water, and cook with it.
First Aid Kit: First off, I want the IV tube in it to use for water purification, and I can use the gauze as a strainer to get the shit out of my water. Secondly, I can make a fishing rod with the needle and thread + (stick not included) in there for closing wounds. Lastly, dying because you scraped your foot on a rock and it got infected is a shitty way to go. *I know you can cauterize wounds/look for herbs on the island if you have botanical knowledge. Let's be real though, cauterizing wounds the wrong way makes it easier to get infections and I have no clue about botany.*
>>
>>737912
No knife? That's pretty gangster
>>
>>736145
You can also use a tarp to catch rainwater.
>>
>>734297
Knife, metal pot, tarp, rope
>>
File: image.jpg (282 KB, 800x778) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282 KB, 800x778
1 weed
2 TP
3 matches
4 volleyball

Not a single fuck was given that day.
>>
>>738032
You can cut the tent into several tarps, and string/rope, and poles to create a fishing pole. What can be harvested from the test > tarp.
>>
Raft , flaregun, hunting rifle and knife. Drift out into the ocean on raft use flare to signal boat use rifle and knife to shoot and stab sailer, steal said boat
>>
>>738075
Sweet turkey bro
>>
>>734297
Matches, knife, Purifier, fishing rod.
>>
>>734297
Tent, fishing rod, pot, and matches.

I was considering toilet paper and a water purifier, but I would just thoroughly wash myself in the ocean instead of using toilet paper, and I would distill water using the rain fly and pot.

If either a book to read or a notebook to write were an option I would definitely pick one of those.
>>
>>734492

This bro >>734501

He didn't pick the tent, it was just outline by 3 of his other options.
>>
Knife
First aid kit
Pot
Tent

I like the idea of deconstructing the tent, it gives cordage which is very important . I'll have to rely on creating a friction fire, but matches are such a short term solution that they're not worth it imo. You will run out of matches anyway. I am off course assuming it's a tropical island and that it's warm.
>>
>>734297
>tarp can be useful for shelter and several other survival things
>sunscreen is good for short term, but worthless long term
>toilet paper is finite
>pot can be used for cooking and water purification long term and short term
>ipod is worthless
>hiking boots will break down, but could help significantly with gathering food and other resources over long distances depending on how large the island is
>hand saw is good for a while but will eventually either need to be sharpened or it may break
>flare gun is awesome for signalling and potentially getting a fire started, assuming it has flares
>raft is good for resource gathering but won't last long term because its inflatable and the sun will eventually degrade it
>flashlight worthless long term
>insect repellent worthless long term
> hammock is good to keep you away from sand fleas and snakes
>compass is good if you want to escape the island
>mirror is great for signalling
>vitamins, ok for medium term you'd need to figure something out diet wise for long term survival
>water filter, it's great for short/medium term until you get a long term water purification system made
>fishing rod, as long as you have all of the tackle and line it would be worthwhile, but if it's just the rod you're screwed
>Rope can be used for various things but it's finite
>hunting rifle has finite ammo but can get you food easier in the short/medium term while you are getting your situation felt out
>weed......fucking degenerates
>first aid kit it would probably be worthwhile and could end up saving your life
>tent keeps the bugs out and you cozy
>knife is great for everything
>matches = fire
>volleyball = companionship/sex

This being said id pick the pot, first aid kit, knife, and
1) flare gun(as long as it has flares)
or
2) hiking boots if its a big island
or
3) matches (if it's a small island)
>>
File: thompson.jpg (199 KB, 700x505) Image search: [Google]
thompson.jpg
199 KB, 700x505
>>736202
I like the cut of your jib.
>>
>>734449
Why bring a tarp when you can bring the tent and cut out the bottem for a tarp, plus the shit loads of other materials you could salvage.
>>
>>734941
I like the way you think mister
>>
Tent, water purifier, first aid kit, knife.

The tent so I have a proper place to sleep at all times.

The water purifier so I have a clean source of water without the need of a fire.

The first aid kit is a must in my opinion, in case you get hurt you need to treat your injuries properly.

The knife because it's a great all in all tool.
>>
>>739399
You wont survive for long without a fire anyway. You better start putting in some effort to make a fire instead taking the water purifier.

Take the pot instead and learn how to make friction fire
>>
We've already found the answer
1: Tent (explained 1000 times why already)
2: Knife (4lyfe)
3: Pot (same as 1)
4: Boots, you don't want to go barefoot into this.
>>
Knife, saw (would prefer hatchet), pot, then either the water purifier (if it comes with a receptacle for purified water) or rather the hunting rifle (looks like a pellet gun?) to save me time shooting chickens or pigs or whatever's on the island

The perfect setup
>>
>>734941
>The fourth depends on the environment. You say desert island, does that mean only sand and plants, no rocks? No animals? Whats on the island?

Deserted
Big difference.
>>
File: 299b911734[1].jpg (132 KB, 580x627) Image search: [Google]
299b911734[1].jpg
132 KB, 580x627
>>734297
>Water Purifier:
Safe water is one of the most important things. Play Oregon Trail if you don't agree.

>Fishing Rod:
Food is another very important thing.

>Tent
Mosquitos man...

>Knife
This is just obvious. Can be used for nearly anything needed. Gutting fish, cutting line, protection, etc
>>
weed a gun and the I-pod
>>
>>739426
Why not a pot? Filter is only good for a couple hundred gallons (which is probably enough) but you don't have containers for it initially and you don't have the pot for cooking in also you could use the pot + part of the tent for desalination can't filter salt water into drinking water
>>
>>734413
Possibility because of mosquitos, assuming we're talking about some sort of semi-tropical island. If shit breaks you can always use the materials for whatever.

Either way, knife, pot, tent, rod.
>>
In order of importance:
Pot
Knife
Matches
Tent

You cannot really make a Pot yourself
Fiddling with rocks if there are any is hard. Bring a knoife instead.
Eventhough you can make fire without matches, the time/effort saved will be very big.
Tent, bug free place to be. Bliss. Also a lot of materials to build other stuff.

Why not:
Tarp - Tent is better with more material.
Sunscreen - while usefull, staying out of the sun can do it for you.
Toilet paper - come on.
Ipod - Sheldon looks at you.
Hiking boots - yeah nah.
Hand saw - while usefull, not as versatile as a knife. You can also make a stone axe.
Flare gun - you are in a deserted island, thats the point.
Raft - see above.
Flashligh - ? what?
Repellant - l o l
Hammock - tent.
Compass - its an island. come on.
Mirror - I bet you mean a signal mirror, but you love your company, so no. And you can watch the reflection in the sea to do your hair.
Vitamins. - actually not that bad, but still eat plants and fish.
Water purifier - not as usefull as a pot.
Fishing rod - Can be made locally. Also you should use fishtraps so that your time wont be wasted actually fishing. Instead use the time to build other stuff.
Rope - Can be made locally.
Hunting rifle - Most likely there wont be any big mammals that you should hunt. Instead use traps.
Weed - dont use drugs
First aid kit - This competes with my Tent, it might be usefull if you fuckup. But tent has a lot of good sides to it.
Wilson - you can have actual imaginary friends instead.
>>
>>736220
>Not using your sweat as a focal point to magnify the sun's rays and light your bowl
Come on man, you're not even trying.
>>
>>734297
If there is no source of frsh water then
Tarp
Water purifier
Knife
and Compass/Mirror for fire

If there are sources of fresh water then i'd just take the pot, maybe the rope.
>>
>>739544
No bowl m8 it just says weed
>>
>>736223
Why water purifier when you have the pot?
>>
>>734297
Boat, flashlight, tent, water purifier. That's enough to survive there and to get out of it when I need to.
>>
>>739880
nah fishing rod instead of flashlight. of course how to signal planes or boats?
>>
>>739880
>>739556
>>739399

Any reason you guys take the water purifyer over the pot? Because I don't really understand.

If you take a pot you can't only boil water (~purifying~ it) but fix yourself soup, stew, boil sea critters and all that

Just wondering if there's any reasoning behind it
>>
>>734297
sunscreen, insect repellent, volleyball, ipod
>>
Knife - make most things, prepare food, kill if needs be

water purifier - to get me started before I make a permanent way of purifying
(can be switched for first aid kit if it has water purifying tablets.)

fishing rod if its a small island, hunting rifle if its a big island - catch food

mirror - signal for help, make fire, look in the mirror now and again to stop myself going insane.
all depends on the island though, it could be a tiny island near the polar caps and most of us would be fucked with our choices
>>
File: BZ6jVPhCYAEOr7t.jpg (9 KB, 500x426) Image search: [Google]
BZ6jVPhCYAEOr7t.jpg
9 KB, 500x426
>>734934
>Light a fire with app on iPod.
Nope.
>>
For everyone that thinks they can desalinate sea water with a filter, purification tablets or by boiling it: Be grateful that this exercise was theoretical, because if you were actually on an island, you'd be dead by now.

Saw. In addition to cutting, it's carbon steel, so I can spark thousands of fires with it.
Cook pot. Inverting the lid allows me to distill salt water.
Tent. Those tropical bugs, mate.
Boots. Quick easy cordage for snares, plus lava rock and coral are both sharp as fuck.

Food, water, shelter, warmth. I'm set.
>>
Fishing rod, tent, water purifier, raft.

I'll float around and catch dinner, drink all the water I want, and sleep in peace.
>>
>knife
>rope
>pot
>saw

easy
>>
>>740742
Inverting the lid? Do explain.

I was thinking of using the tent to catch the vapor when I evaporate the water in the pot, and then collect it in another container, but your method sounds more viable already
>>
weed
weed
weed
rope
>>
has anyone considered using the boat as a shelter, or as a large reservoir to hold rainwater, perhaps both at the same time, if you put the raft right side up and dig out a hole in the sand underneath it
>>
I would have gotten of the island with the raft anyway

Inflatable raft
Knife
Compass
Water purifier
>>
>>734401
agreed 100%
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.