[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pillow Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12
File: APILPREMLG.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
APILPREMLG.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
Tried out a Sea to Summit Premium inflatable pillow. It was surprisingly nice. Packed super small (pic related).

The only thing I didn't like was the price of $46. That's a lot for a pillow. Anyone have a cheap alternative that's actually comfortable? Plenty of options on Amazon, but who knows if they're any good.

I have a smaller Wenzel packable pillow that is alright. And an XL Thermarest compressible pillow that's as good as a pillow from home. Those 2 are large and heavy though.

Pillow thread.
>>
Down jacket + stuff sack = A comfy pillow and an emergency layer.

Personally I HATE inflating pillows. Not warm, not comfy, I like something I can squish my face into and will keep my head and neck warm.
>>
any bag = pillowcase
anything soft = filling
>>
>>731819
>Anyone have a cheap alternative that's actually comfortable?
1. Stuff spare clothes in stuff sack
2.????
3. PROFIT!!!!!
>>
>>731819
Sleep with a fat person
>>
I got real tired of these inflatable pillows. As a side/belly sleeper pleb, I mash my giant head into pillow. These inflatable ones were just awful for that. I also place my arm under my pillow for extra support, and inflatable pillows would pinch nerves in my arm. I would wake up every 20 mins and it was awful.

Had the wife buy a full size, normal down pillow, cut in half, sew up and make pillow case to fit. Think my next step will be to make a reversible pillow case with nylon on one side and fleece on the other. And by my next step, I mean wifey's next step.

Ended up at 24.4 ounces, with case, and takes up a ton of volume, so its not for everyone. It can be compressed pretty well however.

Sleeping is my big issue when outdoors, and this solved a lot of that. To the extent that I now complain about other things while backpacking (will that never end, am I doomed to find something wrong no matter what?).
>>
>>731870
>Sleeping is my big issue when outdoors, and this solved a lot of that. To the extent that I now complain about other things while backpacking (will that never end, am I doomed to find something wrong no matter what?).

Just stay home if you don't enjoy it, or become an RV fag
>>
OP here

I have tried the clothes in a stuff sack, but it's not comfortable for me. I also generally don't carry many extra layers with me. I usually sleep in extra layers, and the only time I have extra in my pack is during the day when I'm hiking. If I do have extra clothes at night, they're my stiffer, not as soft outside layers.

I do have a down jacket with stuff sack that could work, but in the end it's not THAT much smaller than my Wenzel packable pillow.

Really I'd like something wide. I use the wide thermarest for a under knee pillow. Something long and inflatable would be ideal for my knees.

I've heard of people using the empty bag out of a box of wine in a pillow case.
>>
>>731819

+1 for spare clothes in a stuff sack.

I figure that if I did my job right, i'll be so tired at the end of a day hiking i'd be able to fall asleep without one.

I once also used a small wasit pack as a pillow, it was a nice one with padding on the inside, I used it to carry my gun in during an extended hike and found it to be a great pillow actually.
>>
I just ball up my jacket and use that. That way I've also get my jacket handy when I wake up at the crack of dawn, freezing my ass off.
>>
File: 1395956118999.jpg (750 KB, 1397x1048) Image search: [Google]
1395956118999.jpg
750 KB, 1397x1048
>>731870
>taking a 1.5 lb pillow backpacking.
>>
>>731819
I recently got one of these
if you are into hiking, then its so worth it. Warm and very comfortable, much more so than my down jacket stuffed inside itself (which was good, but nothing compared to this).
46 seems like a bit of money at the time, but its well worth the investment in the long run. You'll probably have it for years and get 100's of nights sleep from it.
>>
>>732047
>I've heard of people using the empty bag out of a box of wine in a pillow case.
done it when cooked at music festivals, its fucking horrid and like sleeping on a rock
>>
>>732097

whoa man why would you ever need a gun in the bush :^)
>>
File: 1454114874044.png (691 KB, 667x720) Image search: [Google]
1454114874044.png
691 KB, 667x720
>>731819
>>731870
>>732047
>>732131

>Taking a pillow out with you ever
>>
>>732137
70 grams to make my nights sleep several fold better is worth it on a 5 night hike imo. its always nice to have a soft spongey pillow after a 20km day
but hey, thats just me
>>
>>732134

For charging skinwalkers and bigfoot of course, noob.
>>
I have the aeros pillow in OPs pic. It's the fucking bees knees, best $40 I ever spent.

Super comfortable, weighs nothing and deflates is less than a second for quick stashing.
>>
>>731819
Oh fuck m8 this thread comes right on cue.

>XL Thermarest compressible
That's exactly the one I was thinking about getting, M or L tough.
How thick is it? does it get squished down a lot when you lay your head on it?

>>731870
>As a side/belly sleeper pleb, I mash my giant head into pillow.
> I also place my arm under my pillow for extra support

That's exactly what I do too,
I was considering a down pillow myself but I'm afraid they might be too soft since I'm used to a pillow filled with wool.
Also afraid it might not last long.
>>
>>731870
>As a side/belly sleeper pleb, I mash my giant head into pillow. These inflatable ones were just awful for that. I also place my arm under my pillow

you're not alone
im thinking of getting pic related
>>
Be a man and rest your head on your god damn arm, not only is it for camping but it allows you to sleep anywhere you want. why does anyone need any kind of fancy pillow to go out?
>>
>>732278
>Be a man rest your head on your god damn arm
because the only thing that sleeps then is the arm i rest my head on. why do you think pillows were invented if everybody sleep like that?
also
>sleeping position correlates with masculinity
>>
>>732278
Jesus ikr?
Why the fuck would anyone would want to be comfortable anywhere?

Fucking pilows, really?

Seriously this elitism just rubs me off the wrong way, do you live in a cave rubbing sticks togheter when you want a fire? no?
then fuck off.
>>
>>732278

Guys like you are the biggest faggots on so many levels that it's hilarious.
>>
>>732269
Once the thermarest pillow isnlofted, it doesn't compress that bad. The XL size is really like a regular pillow, I sleep on it awesome. It's just a little big.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (4 KB, 200x120) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
4 KB, 200x120
This works great and keeps your eyes toasty or your neck if you need that

i dunno

i like having it around
>>
>>732269
I have a medium and it seems huge to me, can't imagine even a size bigger let alone the xl, just me though
>>
File: blow up pillow.jpg (26 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
blow up pillow.jpg
26 KB, 700x700
Bought one of these in the dollar store, it works just fine, on the few occasions I've forgotten it I've use my stuff sack with spare clothes in as a pillow, it was fine too.
>>
I don't need a pillow when I've got my hammock.
>>
>>732047
If you bring a Hoodie (or pullover), try zipping it up, folding everything into the hood and pulling the draw strings. Flip it over and you have a decent pillow for no extra weight. I use it for camping or car rides usually
>>
>>732275
See
>>732998
>>
>>731819
In all seriousness, you can use a dry bag and just seal it with a bunch of air inside it.
>>
>>733009

I came here just to say that. It's surprisingly comfy, especially with a shemagh on top for a bit of warmth.
>>
>>732997
OP here, hammock user as well, I still need a pillow or my neck hurts.
>>
File: tetonpillow.jpg (16 KB, 522x322) Image search: [Google]
tetonpillow.jpg
16 KB, 522x322
I like the teton one- does not pack as small but its light and $20.
Size 18" x 10" x 4", Pack Size 13" x 3.5" x 3.5", Weight 0.77 lbs., Color Orange/Grey
>>
>>732137
>I'm so tough because I don't use a pillow

Fuck that noise. I want to sleep well, I sleep much better with a pillow. I'm happy to carry it in my pack, I'm not a lil weakling so the added half pound isn't going to fucking kill me, and I'll be snoozing happily all night.
>>
>>734818
>what is rolling up your jacket, fleece, pants, using your shoes, arms, hat, hands, bag

Literally anything you bring with you can be a pillow if you weren't a thin bony car camping boy scout you'd know this
>>
>>731870
>belly sleeper

you do know that shit fucks up your neck and spine, right?
I mean, just try turning your head more than 90 degrees to the side and see how long you can keep it there. It seriously fucks you up.
>http://www.businessinsider.com/dont-sleep-on-your-stomach-2015-3?IR=T
>>
I just got the thermarest, M size.

I knew I had to let the thing breathe and possibly wash it and dry it before it would be usable,
but right now it feels awful, it's lumpy and rubberry.
I'm used to sleep on a pillow with hard packed wool, and this just doesn't cut it as it is.

Anybody knows if after being wahsed the lumpyness goes away?
>>
>>734903
Also introduces pressure points to the back of my neck and gives me a shit sleep
>>
>>736110
You should stay inna motel then young lady.
>>
>>736182
>hurr i'm so manly
>>
>>736182
My masculinity is not based on nor sustained by depriving myself of simple things that make life experiences more enjoyable. You child.
>>
>>736182
Hurr hurr I sleep on volcanic rock because I'm so fucking ALPHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWRRR

Fucking millenials.
>>
Ive never gone out for more than 3 days, i have horrible insomnia and it takes a long ass time to get to sleep. Thats assuming im in a comfortable bed.

I take medication to help me sleep (100mg Seroquel)

Any suggestions? Not being able to sleep well especially outside makes me hesitant to try staying /out/ any longer, i enjoy it alot but waking up and feeling like garbage kills it.

>tl;dr any anons have insomnia that messes with them enjoying longer trips?
>>
>>736528
You could try a hammock, some people sleep better in them than their bed at home.

Melatonin helps me sleep, as does exercise before bed (like a hard hike while camping).
>>
>>731819
people who go hiking with clothes (perfectly stuffable to make a pillow) who also bring an inflatable pillow will be the first to buy bottled air- and probably take it camping too
>>
Sleep is something I don't fuck with when I go /out/.

I pack for maximum comfort. I have a small air mattress roll, A 2 person solo tent, an xl sleeping bag because I roll around, and a pretty decent sized pillow that I found at a store. The pillow is probably one of the most important things for me because I am also a stomach/side sleeper and usually have an arm over the pillow. Texture and fluff has to be correct or I don't sleep right.

Of course the longest I've backpacked was 10 miles each way, so I'm not doing any 100mi journeys. I've never understood ultralight ounce counting folk. Some of the smaller friends, or larger friends with weak backs I've been out with have complained about weight, but the majority of us are usually fine.

I wake up after a comfy sleep and face my day at camp well rested. I sometimes have nightmares about using random things for a pillow. Some of the worst nights sleep have been on some relatively comfy clothes, but it wasn't my pillow. it matters.
>>
>>736571
Ill borrow one from a friend and give it a shot sometimes this week, ill also do some exercise directly before bed rather than ib the afternoon.

Melatonin never did much for me, but thank you for all this. Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
>>
>>736610
Except you need bottled air to summit certain mountain peaks
>>
>>736207
>>736380
>>736384
If you cannot sleep with your spare clothes as a pillow, your really shouldn't go out. And yes, you guys are softeggs.
>>
>>736765
And you are still a manlet faggot
>>
>>736765
Except I can use spare clothes, I choose not to.
>>
>>736748
Have you tried an OTC med like unisom? Knocks me out good. I use it short term only. I flip flop day shift and night shift and use it to adjust my time of sleep, so I can change over from going to bed at 10pm, and instead go to bed at 10am.

It also can help you sleep while /out/ if you find the forest gets a little spoopy. I used it a few times when I was camping /out/, and helped me fall asleep and stay asleep, rather than wake up every time a squirrel made a twig crack.
>>
>>737069
Fucking squirrels, sound like a charging 12 point buck in the leaves.
>>
>>736765
Please post detailed photo journeys of your manly adventures complete with gear lists and pictures of what you take so that we may start to give a fuck about your opinion. Oh wait, you only go outside to pay the pizza delivery man for your garlic fingers and mountain dew. And never less than three steps from your door because the outdoor world is spoopy.
>>
File: RIMG0205.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0205.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>737102
Wanna try again Nancy?
>>
>>737134
Congrat! You can save other people's pics like a boss!
>>
File: RIMG0206.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0206.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>737151
Cynthia, please, only pussies bring inflatable pillows /out/, deal with it.
>>
File: 630211048.jpg (28 KB, 720x411) Image search: [Google]
630211048.jpg
28 KB, 720x411
>>737157
I agree with anon here, if you need to bring an inflatable pillow (not even that comfortable really) on your trips you'd be better off sticking to day hikes. The best pillow you will ever get is your arm like pic related
>>
>>737240
>actually cutting the bloodflow to your hand, one of the most important body parts when out, so that you can have something to sleep on

Fucking stupid,
either use rock or make a pile of mud if none is available.

Get a grip elmer fiddle.
>>
File: 1450915013393.jpg (273 KB, 802x994) Image search: [Google]
1450915013393.jpg
273 KB, 802x994
>>737244
>having so little muscle in your forearm that 5kg of weight spread out means cutting off circulation to your entire hand
>>
>>737157
Different anon here, please provide evidence.
Scott Parazynski (astronaut) took a Thermarest "Trek & Travel" on a trip on Everest. Hmmmm let me see I would say he's manlier than you considering you have never camped in space. Get fucked, faggot.
>>
>>737157
Amanda please, your ovaries are showing.
>>
>>737247
Has nothing to do with muscle, and actually when your arms are more vascular it is easier to cut the circulation off.
>>
>>737240
The man in your picture is using a fucking pillow, you cannot be this retarded...
>>
>>737255
Haha fuck, I missed that (not the OP)
>>
>>737244
Resting my head on my arm never makes me lose feeling in my arm, not sure what kind of strange arms you or I have
>>
>>737069
I had tried taking over the counter medicine and stuff 5-6 years ago before but it didnt help. Thats what led me to getung prescriptions and stuff.

Ive taken trazodone, vistaril, seroquel, clonidine and ambien, in addition to a bunch of others with long ass names that i cant remember.

I still have trouble sleeping though.
>>
>>737267
I bet you have one of those tiny fetal alcohol syndrome heads.
>>
>>737297
Tried getting a decent mattress?
>>
>>737354
I have a sealy posturepedic hybrid, its a good mattress.
>>
>>737379
Sealy Posturpedic is a pretty decent mattress, wish you the best of luck. I don't think drugs are the solution though.
>>
>>737391
I agree with you, but i have the absolute worst time getting to sleep, and unfortunately it isnt the "i get to sleep a few hours late" insomnia, I'll go multiple days without sleep if i dont take any medication at all. I hate it alot and i wish it wasn't like that, but at this point i cant see any other options besides taking medicine.

At least like this i can get to sleep at a somewhat reasonable time if i take it early enough.

Thank you for the suggestions though, i really do appreciate you trying to help.
>>
>>737352
under-appreciated bantz
>>
>>731819
instead of this why not sew a fleece liner into your sleeping bag's compression sack. Then when you spread out your sleeping bag you turn it inside out and stuff with spare clothes. instant pillow.
>>
I use two of those 2 dollar inflatable pillows strapped on top of each-other to give me that extra height. Never slept better on the ground before.
>>
>>737101
Seriously man, they're loud, I agree.

A turkey at 4AM is pretty alarming too. Those bumbling idiots always wake me.
>>
>>737406
Good luck anon, I've had trouble sleeping for years but nothing near that bad. I know how tough that can be, for real.

Maybe have a few sleep studies done. I know their are sleep specific doctors that can help.
>>
>>737497
OP here, I always just stuff my quilts in my bag without a stuff sack. I could use a stuff sack I have laying around, but they just don't cut it for me, I get back neck and head aches with a bad pillow.
>>
>>737421
shitposting is never under-appreciated
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.