[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ponchos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13
File: Hazard-4-Poncho-Villa.png (316 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Hazard-4-Poncho-Villa.png
316 KB, 800x500
Can we talk about ponchos for a second?
I really really want the Hazard 4 Poncho Villa, but have heard that it's only water resistant for about an hour in the rain. I want it to be completely waterproof.
Should I add some type of waterproof material or treat it with some type of concoction to make it completely waterproof?
How would one go about doing this?
Should I just look for another poncho?

>what do you guys wear on rainy /out/ings?
>>
>>730170
I'm looking for some poncho in green, brown and white ( spring/summer, fall, winter ) I can stuff into a bug-out bag but I want them to be mil-spec or stronger. I don't know anything about reputable poncho brands tho so I'm just gonna use this post as a bump for your topic because I'm interested too.
>>
>>730177
Thanks for the bump
>>
>>730190
np, glad I could help.

These are not poncho but I found this website that makes wool, leather and knife products that might be of interest to you. Here is there wool-wear. http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php
>>
>>730198
These look neat but they do have some wool poncho. I'm especially interested in their armguards and knives though. At the price of $60-$90 their wool products seem interesting and I might just make a purchase.
>>
File: IMG-20160401-WA0003.jpg (256 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160401-WA0003.jpg
256 KB, 1600x1200
>>730170
I've been using a mil type poncho for years without question, I've always loved it, and valued it because it was so versatile,and easy to carry/store. it provides better coverage than a jacket and I've slept out under it many times. It's a little award wearing a daypack because the fabric rides higher so the backs of your legs can get wet, but doable.

I was perfectly content like this right up until last week... then by accident whist out with friends I discovered the snugpak enhanced poncho.
I started out slipping the poncho liner on as something to wear out whist stargazing. Cozy-comfy-fucking-warm guys it's like wearing a duvet, with arms! I slipped the poncho on over this and was sold there and then. It wasn't a cheap buy- about £70 for both but it's to the point where I'd be willing to spend a night out sat on the grass under this.The raw poncho is very light and packs down to be a little larger than a 500ml soft drink can, it weighs next to nothing. The mil poncho I'd been carrying for years is made from a much thicker, heavier material. As good as the snugpak poncho is, I don't feel it would stand up to going through rough ground where it might snag and tear the same way, it's also cut differently to accommodate a backpack when when which makes it unsuitable to use as a tarp

My wife is about 160cm tall and the poncho/liner combo drowns her. She was so warm in the living room she was glad to get out of it just after a few mins to take the photo.

Looking online the Hazard 4 Poncho Villa gets a fair bit of bad press for being made of ''Water-resistant breathable softshell'', not waterproof material. A lot of people have reported getting wet whist wearing one
>>
gotta love wool ponchos. i've worn mine regularly for 3 years and i still love it. of course i have to pair it with something else when it gets cold.
>>
>>730433
>holding your bow by its string
>nigga what are you doing.
>>
File: 0987654.png (561 KB, 657x614) Image search: [Google]
0987654.png
561 KB, 657x614
>>730564
what's wrong with carrying it by the string? please tell me now.
>>
>>730170
yeah. You can try this stuff. I use it for making flies for fishing waterproof (a job which it does EXTREMELY well). I also tested it on ripstop nylon and it worked very well. It's basically wax dissolved in lighter fluid. I prefer using sex wax for surf boards rather than paraffin as it is a bit more flexible and seems to make a better waterproof coating. beware though since sex wax is usually fruit scented though which could be an issue.

step 1: get an old jar or seal-able container.
step 2: go buy a can of naptha from the hardware store or you can use zippo or ronson lighter fluid
step 3: cut off slivers of the wax into the container and fill container with fluid. roughly speaking fill with double the height of fluid for the amount of shavings you have in there.
step 4: seal container. now place in some boiled water to help speed up the dissolving of the wax. maybe 5-10 minutes to do so.
step 5: you can paint on this solution to whatever needs to be waterproofed. You need to leave it somewhere to let the lighter fluid evaporate off. the stuff is very flammable.

once it's dry it should be extremely waterproof as far as outdoors stuff goes. hot water can remove the coating though.
>>
>>730170
I've used a GI (US) poncho for a few years, and it's definitely durable and waterproof, but it doesn't breathe, and as a tarp it doesn't quite cover my hammock, which is an issue. I just picked up some 1443 Tyvek to make a breathable poncho in a slightly larger size. It should work pretty well.
>>
>>730170
I bought a usgi poncho last year for hunting season and used it a bunch. It might be a reproduction but it's still very good. When it rains I just throw it over my pack and use a simple belt to hold it together. It goes down to about my knees and I wear gaiters so I don't need to worry about waterproof pants. Even on wet and soggy days I stay dry--way better than if I used gore tex jacket and pants. I live in the northwest and the army poncho is the best solution I've tried.

The Poncho Villa looks like it's made of a soft shell material so its not really waterproof at all, it just relies on the chemical coating to repel water. Once that wears off I think it will soak through.
>>
>>730725
It's not going to breathe. IMO the whole waterproof and breathable thing is a myth.
>>
>>730433
>wool ponchos
enjoy your stinky wetness
>>
>>730729
The way it's supposed to work is that the vent holes are too small for water droplets (still under surface tension) to pass through but water vapour can just flow through without issue
>>
>>730729
You would be wrong. The assumption people make is that when they see "breathable" they think breathable like cotton or a pair of trainers. That isn't and never will be the case. My Merrell Moab are breathable, but not like my minimalist trail runners. So as far as a rain poncho goes breathability needs to be at the bottom of your needs.
>>
>>730833
enjoy being dressed as a deflated baloon
>>
>>731132
>ponchofags making fun of how other people look
Top Kek
>>
File: _steve_harvey_my_man.gif (2 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
_steve_harvey_my_man.gif
2 MB, 700x394
>>731144
As a ponchofag I agree with your observation.
>>
File: Poncho-500x500.jpg (217 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
Poncho-500x500.jpg
217 KB, 333x500
>>730170

rather than being an autist and try and 'fix' this, why don't you just buy a fucking waterproof poncho instead of some tacticool poncho.

No poncho needs velcro.

Surplus poncho - cheap, camo, and waterproof.
>>
>>731241
They just look so fucking stupid...
>>
File: tj14704_021913_101659_711899.jpg (193 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
tj14704_021913_101659_711899.jpg
193 KB, 450x600
You could go with something like the Packa. Not only will you be fully waterproof, but you will have a rain cover built in as well. To top it all off, you get to look like a giant turtle!

I'm actually considering getting this shit, seems like you can wear it without sweating and stay dry.
>>
>>730847
>>730849

Waterproof/breathable garments are neither waterproof nor breathable.

I have worn them all and none of those fabrics keep out the water for more than an hour or so. If you're moving through brush, carrying something in your arms, or just have backpack straps grinding into your shoulders, the water is forced through those breathing holes. The chemical coating wears off quickly and instead of beading off the water evenly coats the fabric and seeps in.

As soon as you put the hood up it feels like a sauna, especially if you're moving around (of course you are.) Goretex are the only clothes I can think of that are guaranteed to have 'pit zips.' If they're so breathable, how come they always have a way to make great big holes in them? And that's really convenient too--taking apart your jacket in the rain.

If you aren't moving around much and the rain isn't too bad, I suppose they're okay. But whenever I'm out about in the rain, I'm moving around and doing shit for hours at a time, which means the jacket isn't really waterproof for very long and it feels like a garbage bag to boot. The more water that seeps in, the muggier it gets. You eventually hit a point of no return.

I really want to stress that you can't bushwack in goretex because wet brush will force water right through the fabric in no time. So don't plan on getting lost or anything.

The marketing is strong with those products. They're selling you cheap recycled plastic bottles, telling you that they're both breathable and waterproof (a boldfaced lie) and people keep coming back to buy more.

I wish they really worked, but they don't.
>>
>>731555

So what's your solution then?
>>
>>731572
I wear a usgi poncho and gaiters in the rain. Light soft shell pants, merino base layer on top, woolworth shirt for insulation, and I bring a soft shell for whenever it's not raining.

I wear a belt with the poncho over my pack and usually keep it unbuttoned for airflow. I like my filson oilcloth ballcap too because I can keep the hood down in light rain.

I wore that last october/november in the northwest bush all hunting season (with a blaze orange vest worn like a sash) and didn't really get wet except for my hands and feet. I was way drier than previous years when I tried to make goretex work. Less muggy too.
>>
>>731346

What are you worried about?

If I've got the choice between begin dry and being piss wet through I'm not really going to let some armchair hero's sense of fashion dictate that. If you're /out/ why the fuck are you worried about how you look? The grass trees and sky don't give a fuck.

If you're bitching about the camo pattern, you can get Mil style ponchos in black and OD too
>>
>>731579

What's the best material for a poncho? I've seen ones in Nylon, Polyester and Polyurethane.
>>
>>731718
I don't know. I like that the usgi one is substantial and robust feeling but I dont know what it's made of.
>>
>>731718
>>731742

Also vinyl. Where can I get a genuine one from? I'm seeing about a thousand sites but I don't want to end up with a cheap chink copy.
>>
>>731718
Silnylon are lightweight but fragile. Polyester is usually heavier denier and tougher. No experience with polyurethane.
>>
>>731555
>waterproof breathable don't work
>you can't bushwack in them
That's odd, because my experience is the complete opposite. I've been in pelting, howling wind and rain in my gtx jacket (and it's only the Performance shell, nothing flashy) and I stayed completely dry. Same with bushwacking, never had water come through with that or even from sitting on wet snow.

I have gotten slightly wet from sweat in it, but only when it's been quite warm but still rainy, or if I'm wearing too much clothing (which is easily fixed). But I've never been drenched.
>>
File: 71zlBEqiwIL._SL1200_.jpg (199 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
71zlBEqiwIL._SL1200_.jpg
199 KB, 1200x1200
>>731579
>poncho and gaiters in the rain. Light soft shell pants, merino base layer on top, woolworth shirt for insulation, and I bring a soft shell for whenever it's not raining.

Pretty much this.

The soft shell jacket and pants are fine for a little while in a light rain, and far more breathable

Slap on a big poncho when the rain starts getting v. heavy

Ponchos like pic related ($25) are ripstop nylon. Durable, 100% waterproof but not breathable at all. The massive airflow from below is what lets you breathe
>>
File: 51zf6Atu1oL._UY700_.jpg (92 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
51zf6Atu1oL._UY700_.jpg
92 KB, 700x700
Jteng a good brand? Thinking of getting their zipper poncho
>>
File: oyvey.jpg (59 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
oyvey.jpg
59 KB, 690x460
>>732024
>shooot
>>
>>732024
I don't know if that's a good one. When purchasing I paid vary close attention to the neck opening and hood. I wanted a hood that kind of stands off the poncho and wont be tight.

>>731984
Mine looks just like this ^.
>>
>>732065
Ha that's why I chose that picture
>>732142
Same here about the hood. The one I posted has a chest zipper so you can adjust the size of the head hole which is what caught my eye with this one. Also it's only $20 and seems decent based on the reviews so if I order and it sucks ass it's not too much of an investment.
>>
>>732281
>adjust the size of the head hole which is what caught my eye with this one

Does your head often change size, anon?
>>
>>730729
No, 1400 series Tyvek is what the SOL escape bivvy is made of, and I use that as my primary shelter in warmer weather. It never has condensation issues.
>>
So... how come no one knows how to wear a poncho? You're not supposed to just drape it over yourself, you're supposed to wrap the front and tie or button it behind you, then take the back and tie or button it in front.
>>
File: 34618018.jpg (931 KB, 1636x1074) Image search: [Google]
34618018.jpg
931 KB, 1636x1074
+1 for poncho. love them. just avoid cheap brands like miltec, mfh and you are save.
>>
These pictures only confirm that a cloak is somehow less autistic. Also more functional.
>>
>>732706
>a cloak is
>>732706
>more functional.
examples?
>>
>>732661

What, like a burrito? You'd barely be able to walk.
>>
Can anyone post a link or name some brands of usgi ponchos or good quality ponchos in that style that will be compatible with a liner / woobie blanket? Extra points if they ship to Aus
>>
>>733171
bump for interest.
>>
>>732428
The adjustability is for hats and hoods you fucking sperg.
>>
>>732719
You know it's better for cosplay. With a pancho you get a few mgs characters. With a cloaks you get every fantasy character ever. Its also great for collecting Burr and thrones
>>
>>733171
>>733201
I posted the mil-tec poncho from amazon above. It shipped to aus and is the same size as the standard woobie. Lots of folks in those reviews use them together and they work fine

It's a really good poncho. I got the green and it's more olive drab that in the photos.
>>
>>733570
forgot link

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ripstop-Hooded-Festival-Poncho/dp/B003WLW6DI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460070552&sr=8-2&keywords=mil+tec+poncho

Also comes in black and woodland camo etc
>>
Buy a Frog Toggs poncho.
100% waterproof and sturdy.
Ultralight too
>>
What's a recommended poncho that has grommets at the corners?

Apparently some brands aren't as good as others
>>
>>733674
I'm looking at one on Amazon, do they come with grommets on the corners?
>>
>>733570

I've heard that mil-tec is a shitty brand. Can confirm/deny?
>>
>>733730
As a whole? Yes. Some products, depending on how hard they are to fuck up, may be more or less shit.
>>
>>733574
Nice. ANything like that in White? I'd love to get two or three white poncho and two or three in the green you already posted.
>>
>>731604
Milsurp for life bro: I have the only poncho I'll need for the rest of my life and IDGAF if its in OD, Flektarn, or fucking pink prints of buttplugs.
>>
>>730723
This worked on my poncho and on my tent's seems when the rains came down very hard. I stand by anon's recipe.
>>
>>730723

I get the wax but what's the point of the naptha?
>>
>>733805

I'd still take buttplug print over shittarn. It's that orange vomit colour they put in there.
>>
>>733222
You're the sperg agonising over a poncho, douchebag. Stop being such a gear fag ffs.
>>
>>733730
My mil-tec poncho is fine. It's ripstop nylon, has corner grommets, the hood fits fine, and it's a fucking poncho... what more would you want?
>>
I'm not OP, but I bought a surplus Bundeswehr poncho. The one that weighs a ton and is fuckhuge. Not sure if I did the right thing but oh well.
>>
>>734168

I just want to make sure that it is compatible with the usgi liner, and that it's not going to fall apart. I'm a poorfag and so I don't want to buy things twice.
>>
File: 92038673.jpg (162 KB, 400x412) Image search: [Google]
92038673.jpg
162 KB, 400x412
>>735035
>surplus
>>735035
>Not sure if I did the right thing

oh well (resell it at ebay)
>>
>>734168
>what more would you want?
100% waterproofness
+sturdy eyelets
>>
>>735243

see

>>735233
>>
Anyone ever tried Charles River Apparel?
>>
>>733917
I don't like Flektarn much either but if its dry and Flektarn vs soaking wet and pretty I'll take the Flek.
>>
I love flecktarn and need a poncho.

Know a site selling good ones?
>>
>>736449
this; would also love to know about any white poncho ( for snowy environments ) to wear as a sort of wind breaker/snow stopper over my snowsuit.
>>
>>736370

...I just don't buy flecktarn shit, so I wouldn't have to make that choice.

Are you imagining some kind of magic scenario where you're hiking through the woods, thunder claps and all of a sudden a little old man appears magically from a cave, offering you a flecktarn poncho, whereupon it becomes a choice between being soaking wet or wearing flecktarn and being dry?

Because I just buy OD stuff and then remember to pack it so when those little old magic men appear I just tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>730170
Enjoy looking like a twat
>>
>>730681
You could accidentally fire an arrow
>>
Are there any ponchos that are 100% waterproof forever? I dont care about breathability, i just want a trashbag except stronger and with a hood.
>>
>>736772
there is no arrow nocked.... and the poundage is high enough that the string is only pulled back about an inch by its own weight
>>
>>730681

You're fucking up the string you dumb nigger
>>
>>736786
exaplin how it fucks up the string. please.
>>
>>736788

No, it's obvious. Don't be a dumb nigger, please.
>>
>>736790
i've spoken with many other bow hunters about this and so many say that this is the way that they carry their bows. they also say that the whole carrying by the strings damages the bow is old bollocks
>>
>>737458
They're right, I've been an archer for 13 years or so and I've never heard of such bullshit. The only thing I can imagine is you would rub off the wax coating on your strings. That anon is just looking for a reason to call someone a nigger.
>>
>>731382
>>731241
>>730401
>>731984
>>732024
Except for Robin Hood there with the wool poncho, this thread is filled with people with the fashion sense of an average big city homeless vet whose look would not be complete without single natty dread and hasidic jew-like beard.
>>
>>737560
robin hood here. i appreciate your comment.
>>
File: poncho.jpg (53 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
poncho.jpg
53 KB, 500x680
>OG poncho
>>
>>736780
Being this autistic.
>>
>>737560

Being in the woods is not a fashion parade, faggot. If you give that much of a fuck what you look like when nobody's looking, then you should just stay at home.
>>
>>737458
>>737488

Many bow hunters don't realise that they're doing damage because it happens over time.

Tell me, do you dry fire your bow?
>>
>>737582
You're not going to want to wear that in public if Trump wins and the wall gets built.
>>
>>737759
Yeah I guess if you're illegal?
>>
>>730401
So you use the snugpak liner under the mil poncho waterproof?
>>
>>737560

I don't give a fuck what I look like, I'm warm and dry. If you're that worried about what people may think when it comes to your attire, the most /out/ you've probably ever been is to a Starbucks drive through one town over.

>>738001
No mate, it doesn't fit. the milsurp poncho is rectangular, where as the Sungpak one is shaped and has dedicated 'arms'. I've got the Snugpak poncho that corresponds to the liner so it all fits together. It's not as versatile as ye olde faithful milsurp poncho, or as durable but if it provides better coverage body wise, and is a lot lighter
>>
>>737582
That's not a Poncho that's a Jorongo
>>
>>733916
solvent for the wax. basically you dissolve the wax into solution with the naptha. by warming the naptha with the double boil it quickens the dissolution of the wax. you apply the solution to whatever and it impregnates the whole fabric, not just at the surface level. then the naptha being lighter fluid quickly evaporates and leaves a handy wax coating permeating the entire area of the fabric it was applied to.

>>733842
glad to hear it. I hadn't field tested it outside of fishing yet. I think I'm going to do my new pack though.
>>
>>737727
no i don't dry fire my bow. what damage does carrying it by the string do?
>>
>>738520

If you don't dry fire your bow then why are you willingly distressing the frame by bouncing it up and down with every step you take when you hold it by the string?
>>
>>738603
the bow doesnt bounce. does the frame really experience anymore stress from the string being drawn back by an inch? any more than it does simply by the bow being strung?
>>
>>738620

Would you sit in your living room playing with the string, drawing it back and forth constantly?
>>
>>737458
>>737488

He's right, it's stressing the frame and potentially fucking up the cams if you're using a compound, not to mention stretching the string. Plus you look like a moron to anyone into archery with half a brain.

t. bowyer
>>
>>737759
if. top kek anon.
>>
>>730177
Tried a local surplus store yet?
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.