[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst things you have forgotten or could have forgotten on an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13
File: butch.jpg (55 KB, 719x274) Image search: [Google]
butch.jpg
55 KB, 719x274
Worst things you have forgotten or could have forgotten on an /out/ing

>extra socks
>coffee
>>
Once I forgot a drybag with electronics and first aid stuff (gps, plb, camera, tape, treatment for blisters etc.) + correct insoles and instant coffee. Not fun when you've been traveling for 15h with train and bus and walked an hour just to discover that some fairly important stuff is missing.

I've had at least two or three 'nightmares' where I went hiking and realized I forgot a bunch of stuff.
>>
drove 40 min, realized forgot boots. went home, got boots, drove hour and half back towards camping zone and realized forgot tarp.

thankfully my mate had one i could squeeze under.
>>
Not me but my pal forgot one of the spreader bars for his bridge hammock. Made a bushcraft replacement using a length of branch and tent pegs.
>>
A second method of starting a fire (I lost my ferro rod once and have never learned how to make a primitive fire before)

Sandals to change into for crossing water streams so my socks don't get soaked.

Checking to make sure the trail is actually open. I drove 2 1/2 hours to a National Forest and the trails were closed because they were doing controlled forest fire for firefighter training. I could have stayed and dispersed camped but I was wearing tennis shoes and didn't bring any bear spray.
>>
I had no batteries in my headlamp and went to the store to buy some on my way /out/
After a day of hiking in the mountains I realised the batteries were to big for my headlamp, even though I perfectly know what batteries does it take.
I was pretty fucked, and basically seting up a camp with no light is not a good thing to do
>>
I flew from Bozeman MT to Seattle WA, then Seattle to Anchorage AK, then a bush plane from Anchorage to Afognak island AK. All for a hunting trip.

The bush plane stopped in Homer AK and I was cold, so I was going to change out of my sandals into my boots.....forgot boots.

Luckily boots can be bought in Homer but the selection is slim and prices are high. Also humping around Afognak in new boots is for shit.
>>
>>728862

Did you rape any locals? I hear Alaska has a surprisingly adequate population of qt Korean women.
>>
>>728823
Sleeping bag, after I spent the week contacting everyone and reviewing what they were bringing.
Had to sleep with just a towel wrapped around me on a 40F night.
>>
>>728866
Can't say I saw any Koreans, though I assumed everyone who wasn't a paleface was an eskimo.

The bush plane I was on was a DeHavilland Beaver, and the pilot and I got drunk in a steakhouse bar in Homer where he made Beaver jokes all night. "Time to get inside the Beaver" he would yell, to everyone's delight. "I might sleep in that Beaver tonight".....you get the idea.

It worked surprisingly well on the ladies.
>>
>>728823
>brings shotgun because bear country and moose
>check ammo box to load up on arrival
>all 7 1/2 shot from shooting clays
>>
File: 63677366.jpg (101 KB, 319x294) Image search: [Google]
63677366.jpg
101 KB, 319x294
>>728840
>drove 40 min, realized forgot boots. went home, got boots, drove hour and half back towards camping zone and realized forgot tarp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YXhiEpQGK4
>>
Forgot all my riding jerseys on a week-long trip.
Bought one at a dealer in town ($60... fuck!), borrowed a few from a buddy. Fortunately the cabin had a washer/dryer.
>>
>>728823
Not the same but once hitchhiked about 30 miles to get to bus to get to city to see concert.
Get on bus and immediately realize I don't have concert ticket. Take bus to city, call Moms, have her meet me back at original bus station, ride bus back, meet Mom, get ticket, get back on bus, back to city, see concert, concert had tech difficulties and runs late. Buses are shut down when show ends. Hitchhike home, no rides, end up walking 80% or so of the way home.
>>
>>729038
>riding jerseys
What kind of gay crap is this? Am I on /fa/?
>>
>>728823
the food
>>
File: IMG_20140703_102245_2024223110.jpg (124 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140703_102245_2024223110.jpg
124 KB, 800x800
>>729049
Lightweight and breatheable, they make great base layers.
Also have a few with my name and race number on the back, so yes, there is some /fa/ involved.
>>
>>729053
Fuck me, I totally forgot about that time.
Stock food in restaurant freezer for trip.
GF grabs food and stocks cooler.
Stop to camp 1st night while still driving to destination.
Go to prep meal, cooler is all scrap/leftovers rather than the food we purchased for the trip.
>>
>>729071
>my name on the back, so yes, there is some /faggotry/ involved
ftfy
>>
File: 2Gbg-xtb.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
2Gbg-xtb.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>728823
Some dip. out in the field for a month in the mountains got pretty unbearable.
>>
>>729160

Could have substituted it with deer shit. I bet it's healthier for you too.
>>
a pipe.
made one out of washed up canes.
cane smoke is horrible
>>
Spare socks.
Waterproof cover for a map, virtually fell apart after a few days of stormy weather. Although I use laminated maps now.
Water purification tablets/extra water
>>
Once forgot my mess tin... tried to make myself a bowl and failed gloriously. Also cooking was a nightmare
>>
>>728823
One time I drove halfway across Connecticut with my kayak and forgot my paddle. But there was a Dick's nearby so I just bought another one
>>
Forgot my boots after I'd driven 3 hours to this trail. I thought fuck it, what's the worse that could come from hiking in trainers?

Ended up pulling an inch of thorn out of my arch and a very painful walk back to the car.
>>
File: BoyScouts-Camp Cedars.jpg (42 KB, 358x197) Image search: [Google]
BoyScouts-Camp Cedars.jpg
42 KB, 358x197
>>728823
https://youtu.be/zc4h8l4Bdtg
>>
>>728823
>traveling from one camping site to another half a state away.
>forget shoes on roof of car

2 weeks without my shoes on a camping trip. I didn't really notice since I didn't wear shoes all that much when I was under the age of 15 in the 1980s-1990s.

I've never forgotten anything else that I've needed. Then again I always have checklists.
>>
>>728823
forgot loo roll once, had to raid 1st aid kit and tank up on Imodium so I wouldn't shit for the next 2 nights.

not something I ever want to have to do again
>>
Never happened to me, but I know how bad it can be: toilet paper.
>>
>>728823
shoes
>>
eh, worst thing I ever forgot was a pillow
when i went car camping a while back, nbd.
>>
>>728850
>sandals
Jesus is that you? I thought you could walk on water.
>>
I hiked out to the South Cascades to do some sunset/twilight photography and rather stupidly left my headlamp on the table at home.

Got through most of the hike back using cellphone but had to do the last bit in the dark.
>>
>>730408
You realise you can just wash your asshole with water right? Or a wash rag (or sock)

Because TP is only from the 19th century.

You retard.
>>
>>728823
Last weekend I forgot my phone. That sucked, no tunes, no games, no internet.
I actually feel bad because it ruined my weekend and it probably shouldn't have.
>>
>>728823

100 deet, brought 50 instead.
>>
>>728823
> Sleeping bag
> Headphones
> Car keys
> Tent
> Food
>>
>>732462
All in one trip? you fucked up hard
>>
>>728850
>Could have dispersed camp but didn't bring bear spray
Only campground bears are interested in people food. Feral bears don't get enough human contact to lose their fear of us.
>>
>>732424
>using your phone when you are /out/ other than for camera and gps
>>
>>728850
Sandals to change into for crossing water streams so my socks don't get soaked.
>not crossing water streams barefoot
>>
Toilet paper
Cue the diarrhea the next day

It was...uncomfortable
>>
>>732785
>Crossing barefoot
That's how I had to get a tetanus booster. There was some barbed wire on the other side hidden in the grass
>>
>>732800
What did you do?
>>
>>729076
Anon mad he has no talent to distinguish himself with
>>
proper sleeping bag for wintery camping

chilly

One time my friend and her brother and I went on a 2 day hike. Only one of us brought water. We were halfway and wondering what the fuck happened. We assumed my friend with the food bag would have had all of it. Was really shitty. Her brother toughed out near 14km of hills without any.
>>
>>732874
he sounds hot af. and holy shit that's parrful foolish, both accounts. i hope you learned from this
>>
>go kayaking
>forgot paddle
Well fuck me.
>>
>>732804
Shit in the river. The rushing water wipes as you shit.
>>
>>732879
yeah, not so much the proper sleeping back one yet.

We had purify tablets, but they were such shit and we had to wait a while before we could drink.

Our dog also hurt himself by tripping over a root

: c

yeah, that trip could have gone a lot better
>>
>>729160

Cope mint is terrible. I bought a can cause cope mint hype, it's way to strong of a flavor. I prefer my tobacco to taste like tobacco, not candy.
>>
>be me
>family is going"camping"
>the kind were you park a camper on a concrete pad next to 100 other campers
>four person camper
>five person family
>we have always solved this by having anon sleep on the back of the truck
>like the cold so it's OK
>have poor man's sleeping bundle (lawn chair cushions, blankets and a tarp in case of rain)
>pack pmsb
>get to campground
>find out mom unpacked pmsb
>whatever camper has extra blankets
>mom took them out to wash them
>gives me a sheet
>35f freezing my ass off
>at least it's not raining cause lol no tarp
>starts raining
>end up sleeping on concrete pad under camper

Lesson learned, now I triple check that my sleeping shit got packed.
>>
Drove 2 hours innawoods with my new garand, and forgot to bring any clips.
>>
File: hug-me-pillow.jpg (28 KB, 450x441) Image search: [Google]
hug-me-pillow.jpg
28 KB, 450x441
>>728823
>Worst things you have forgotten or could have forgotten on an /out/ing

Forgot my pillow once when camping but I drove to the K-mart in town and bought a new one, which was so comfy it became my standard pillow for the next 10 years or so.
>>
I went camping for my birthday, but I forgot to bring the cigars I'd bought to smoke while camping. And the whiskey. And the hard cider. And a hat for summer in the desert. I was pissed.
>>
>>728823
Headlamp. Luckily I had my trusty old keychain flashlight that I held in my mouth everytime I had to go take a piss.

But still.
>>
>>730344
>tfw my feet skin is thick as hoove
>>
in a autistic moment had watched the weather channel and saw that the chance of snow was low
and right before a week long solo winter mountain backpacking trip in an effort to save a little weight i left my snowshoes @ home. well on day 4 a blizzard with chest deep drifts hit. very interesting trip.
>>
>>733184
>mountain backpacking trip
I find this hard to believe as anyone with any familiarity of mtns knows the weather changes in a heartbeat.
>>
>>733194
in a autistic moment... save a little weight
have you ever packed for week long winter trip?
if you have you would realize how overwhelming weight can become...wasn't my proudest moment, but still enjoyed the trip anyway and learned valuable lessons to boot.
it happened dude.
>>
>>733194
this is obviously not proof, but same dude different trip.
>734080
>>
File: day4morn.jpg (719 KB, 2324x1590) Image search: [Google]
day4morn.jpg
719 KB, 2324x1590
>>733194
>anyone with any familiarity of mtns knows the weather changes in a heartbeat.
this is so obviously true.
I'm not sure why i felt compelled to try to prove that this story was true when to do so makes me seem less than competent. I'm sure some of it is because of the level of skepticism is so high from all the bullshit on the internet in general and 4chan specifically, but here goes. found a few prints from the trip that i digitally scanned. for whatever reason didn't take but a few pictures. this was before digital photography made everything so damn easy.
>>
File: day4mornselfportrait.jpg (600 KB, 2324x1588) Image search: [Google]
day4mornselfportrait.jpg
600 KB, 2324x1588
as best i can remember this was in January 1998 during the last "El NiƱo event". for over the past 20 years would take a week long winter trip to enjoy being /out/ when most everyone else likes to hibernate. also to try an stay sharp. very seldom would have anyone accompany me on the trips because of scheduling conflicts etc etc.
>>
>>728837
I have had nightmares more than once about this also.
>>
File: day5morn.jpg (849 KB, 1598x2328) Image search: [Google]
day5morn.jpg
849 KB, 1598x2328
have always made a point to carry a small weather radio to catch more up to date forecast.
the nws was calling for rain at lower altitudes and light snow in the highest areas turning to all rain by noon. started about first light with heavy snow all day. had i stayed where i was i would have been unable to leave any time soon.
when traveling in new snow it possible to make "better" time than after it consolidates. a fact that makes traveling vs.staying put a more interesting prospect. made about 5.5 miles that day and spent the night in a shelter.
some nice soul had even left a compressed fire log (was tempted but did not use). the trip was total reroute at that point. had to head down the mountain and was shocked just how localized the snow had been (after post holing all day, past some folks who did not believe it when i told them how deep it was ahead).
>>
File: lk7ai.jpg (89 KB, 622x377) Image search: [Google]
lk7ai.jpg
89 KB, 622x377
same shelter in nicer weather. for comparison.
>>
>>732785
broken glass reks a hike pretty fast
>>
File: followingyear.jpg (428 KB, 2316x1596) Image search: [Google]
followingyear.jpg
428 KB, 2316x1596
here's one from the following year just to show off that i do have snowshoes.
>>
>>732424
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>728823
>TFW You forgot the baby on top of the car once again.
>>
Sleeping mat on a cold ass night. Spent all might awake heating water and sticking warm bottles in to my light jacket. Shit day
>>
>>728981
I'm glad someone else immediately thought of this part.
>>
im deaf with cochlear implants. I dont know sign language. Worst would be forgetting batteries for my receivers, leaving me unable to hear after they run out. Not serious enough to cancel the trip, but serious enough to ruin it significantly
>>
>>728906
Hahaha I've had nightmares about that happening. I think in my dream it was saltshot though.
>>
>>732424
Thats why God invented Gameboys
>>
>>728823
I forget half my tent, once, and not the part that keeps the bugs out.
>>
>>728823
last time i was out camping i forgot my friends where a bunch of dicks...i was the only one carrying food or water, our 4 day camp for 4 turned into a one day camp with me doing the majority of the carrying and paying for the food. dicks. i dont hang out with them anymore.
>>
>>728850
>never learned how to make a primitive fire before
fucking pleb
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.