[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/oqg/ out questions general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: bear.jpg (685 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
685 KB, 1920x1200
Why is there no questions general ?

If I put a space blanket on top of my sleeping bag, does it make it significantly warmer?
>>
>>726997
Youre better off putting it under you. Or wrapping yourself into it, like a space borrito.
>>
>>726997
>Why is there no questions general?
We haven't really needed one for a while.

Hope I helped!
>>
Ive hiked maybe 50 miles in my life and only car camped. Is my body ready for the appalachian trail?
>>
>>727019
After a slow start the first couple of weeks, you'll be just as fit as everyone else.
>>
>>727019
Read A Walk in the Woods. Good read. If this guy's friend can do it I'd say you're okay.
>>
>>727019
Just take it slow. If you gotta do it over the course of 4 years, you will be fine.

But I find that the first 200mi of the trail actually condition me for the last 2000mi so I think you will be ok. I take it slow for the first two weeks and only cover 200mi and then I'm ready to finish the rest of it in 3-4 days.
>>
>>727024
Alternatively, if you have a job where you're on your feet, you're probably in better shape than you think.
>>
>>726997
This is a question I've always wondered about. my instincts tell me 'yes', but my evidence is only anecdotal.
Space blankets only work if you have insulation between you and the blanket, and what better insulation than a sleeping bag?
>>
>>727026
>200 miles in two weeks
>2000 miles in 3-4 days

Am I just stupid or...
>>
>>727035
hes obviously a power walker on tweak
>>
>>727034
Yes, sort of. A space blanket over a sleeping bag will reflect a large amount of heat, but it also doesn't allow moisture out of the bag. If you're using down it will reduce the efficacy of the insulation, and regardless of down or synthetic, the immediate vapor loss when you can out of the bag can cause major chills. You could use an SOL escape bivvy instead (I do), which is made from 14-S Tyvek which is not only more durable that a Mylar blanket but also breathable while still being thermally reflective.
>>
>>727040
You ever seen a tweaker powerwalk?
>>
>>727042
Wouldn't just laying the space blanket on top allow for water vapor to escape from the sides?

Could also use it on top of wool blanket that handles water vapor well.
>>
>>727048
ive seen one try to fly
>>
>>727035
If you only carry a pound of cocaine and a pound of steroids you would be surprised the mileage you can get.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 288x175) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 288x175
>>727010
>>
File: ptr51p.jpg (141 KB, 1000x540) Image search: [Google]
ptr51p.jpg
141 KB, 1000x540
hey /out/

Thinking of starting to go /out/ a lot more and I know these areas have large predators. I'm thinking of buying pic related from pic related ( .308 semi-auto "pistol" ) for defense and am wondering if that will be enough to stop something like a charging grizzly, moose or elk.
>>
>>726997
Only when you're in space, or space-like conditions. This will not work in wet/humid environs.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.