[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to try out picking morel mushrooms in the Yukon this summer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: morelmushroomwildfoodism.jpg (72 KB, 423x353) Image search: [Google]
morelmushroomwildfoodism.jpg
72 KB, 423x353
I want to try out picking morel mushrooms in the Yukon this summer, and I've never tried anything like this before. Is there anyone here who has had experience with that sort of thing? Is there a way to find someone experience to go with? I don't want to die in the wilderness and I'm not too experience with the /out/doors but I'm not mentally weak either
>>
There are some good books on Piratebay if you're looking to learn about mushroom hunting. There *should* be books on mushroom farming/hunting at your library too. It's actually a pretty common hobby in my neck udawoods (Kentucky).

There should also be mushroom hunting groups in your area. Poke around, ask a librarian- they do exist and there are experienced people who enjoy teaching others how to not kill themselves.

Source: My moonshine-drinking, racist grandma taught me how to hunt for mushrooms in the backwoods.
>>
>>726300
Morels are only found in the spring. My experience is that you can find them about the time the apple trees bloom or just about the time you need to cut the grass in your yard for the first time.
>>
>>726354
In the North West Territories it's May to August
>>
If you do find someone to go with, ask questions and be prepared for them to pull mushrooms from right under your nose. It'll take you a minute to get your eyes trained to look for them.
>>
>>726300
Just went earlier this week, near Medford OR. In my experience, they like open ground space with very light grass and oak leaf cover. In my area, the season is peaking because of the weather. Wait for good rain fall followed by a few days of clear sunny weather. Also, pro tip, hike up hill when you're searching, walking downhill let's them hide behind terrain easier. Anything else you'd like to know?
>>
Anyone tried DMT?
>>
>>726354
Yukon spring IS August.
>>
>>726421
Is this some sort of meme?
>>
>>726300
Morels are the best mushrooms for beginner mushroom hunters, because of their almost unique appearance. Get a good mushroom ID book.

Some important thoughts. There are certain species of mushrooms called false morels, that appear somewhat like true morels. The research varies on the edibility of false morels. Some people claim to eat certain varieties without harm, but it is best to avoid false morels altogether. (The variability in people being able to safely eat them is likely due to different ratios of liver enzymes that people carry - which is why people tolerate medications differently.)

Secondly, don't overdue it when you find your bumper crop of morels. Most mushrooms that are safe to eat contain natural chemicals that can be uncomfortable on the digestive system when eaten in very large quantities.

>tl;dr: Get a good book to ID true morels, don't overeat, and profit from your new hobby.
>>
If the only reason you're going to the Yukon is to hunt morels, know that they grow all over. Also, they do not fruit exclusively in the spring-- in California and elsewhere they have a fall fruiting season as well.

IMO, the best way to learn how to ID and pick mushrooms is to hunt with someone who is experienced. I've learned more from a day in the woods with a good hunter I ever have from books or forums. Look for local societies and clubs. You'll probably be able to find one in your area.

A general tip: the largest flushes usually come from areas that have burned recently. If conditions are right after a forest fire, the fungus will fruit en masse.
>>
>>726300
Here in the midwest it is all about the trees that they grow near. I doubt what I know would be applicable to the Yukon. Best advice is to go with someone who knows how to find them and learn all you can. Just found the first of the grey ones here two days ago. Hopefully will start finding big blondes in a couple weeks.
>>
File: th(2).jpg (39 KB, 480x397) Image search: [Google]
th(2).jpg
39 KB, 480x397
>>726619
What part of the midwest.

Late April is when I start looking in oHIo. But with the mild winter I was hoping to find some early flushes.

Might go check a spot in a few hours.

OP don't get a book. Just look at a false morel image search. Your not going to mix them up.
It might be hard to find someone to show you their spot. So try to find some shroomers in your area and get info about your location (when they pop. Nearby trees.) And see if you can't hunt a new spot with them.
>>
>>726630
(same guy as above) I'm in Ohio too. Found a couple in Fairfield Co. on Easter Sunday. I didn't find the first one last year until May 1st.
>>
>>726619
They honestly aren't to picky when it comes to trees. Most hardwoods will do, especially elm and white oak oaks.
>>
>>726591
Yeah that is the best way but not all of us have an opportunity like that. You should be fine if you get a guide and use some common sense. If it is your first time eating a species only eat a little and see how you react. Only a handful of species can do real harm. Be wary with older mushrooms as they may be host to a different fungi at that point.
>>
>>726300
I'm also going to be trying mushroom hunting this year. From what I've seen by just looking it up in my area is to look at old burn locations from a year or two ago. I'm still trying to find a good guide though, can anyone vouch for any really good ones?
>>
>>726300
Morels live in and on the edge of forested areas. Look for ash, aspen, elm, and oak trees, around which morels often grow. Early in the spring as the ground is warming, you’ll find them on south-facing slopes in fairly open areas. As the season progresses, go deeper into the woods and onto north-facing slopes.
>>
>>726342
We all need a moonshine-drinking racist grandmother.

I had a Russian grandmother who hated Gypsies. No moonshine though.

>>726421
It's good fun.
>>
>>727065
the burn morels only fruit post fire for about a year or two at max. right after the fire is the best time to go
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.