[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /out/ >I am 19 years old >I am 5'3 and live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: faf.jpg (78 KB, 586x553) Image search: [Google]
faf.jpg
78 KB, 586x553
Hello /out/
>I am 19 years old
>I am 5'3 and live in Connecticut
>have a really shitty car and like 1,000 bucks plus 1,000 in computer and other crap

I have been family trips around america but never really lefted my home town, I have a really shitty part time job and still live with my mother I have been really depressed and have been really thinking about killing myself lately I think its maybe because I never lefted my shelter of my home town and my chronic addiction to using the internet and just being a hermit/antisocial in general but I feel like getting out of here would be a good idea.
Does anyone good idea's where I can go? what I should do?
I have a really nice backpack and a lot of bush-craft experience and I would have no problem driving my car until it breaks and walk just need some kind of plan before hand or would it be better to just wing the whole adventure?
>>
>>726220
Hey man

I'm willing to help you construct a plan, but want to know you're legit

What's your background? What work experience do you have? Are you willing to work various part time jobs while you travel? Are you open to 'dirty' work like farm work, commercial fishing, etc?

What kind of car do you drive?

What does your /out/ equipment consist of?
>>
>>726220
>addiction to the internet and a hermit
>tons of bushcraft experience

Anyway just wing it man. You're young anyway. Go fuck around for a few months or a year or two and if anything goes horribly wrong you can always just get a bus ticket back to your mom's place and have a bed to sleep in.
>>
>>726227
yeah I live a duel life I dive to the city everday but if I have more then a day off I go /out/ and only being a few tools and make what I need
>>
>>726226
I have worked on farm a few farms before I have alot of retail experience and I worked as janitor before.
I have a small force focus with 176,000 miles on it.
I got a ultra light tent nice bushcraft knife(s) billy can(s) etc. I got a few gear set ups I bring what I think I am going to need
>>
Where in CT? I'm in NB but I go to Litchfield for bush shit
>>
>>726239
I am in Montville we have amazing trails and un-tanited woods for miles and there Salem and other places around here
>>
>>726220
Go on coolworks and get a seasonal /out/ job for the summer. Something like a summer camp, campground or remote resort. You'll get to travel, keep some money in your pocket, meet cool people and live in beautiful /out/ locations. When the summer's over you can go back to Connecticut or you can move on to work the ski season.

It's not a bad way to live if you have no financial burdens, don't know what to do with your life and want some adventure.
>>
So what's stopping you from going out in there? It's beautiful there. If you're looking to travel try Vermont. So many awesome places. I'm 19 and almost in the same boat but until I can get geared up for proper bushcraft I just hike a shit ton. Sleeping Giant in Hamden is really awesome.
>>
I've been in the same boat man
I'm sick of working jobs that barely pay the bills to live somewhere I don't want to live.
Look around for farming jobs, vineyard hands, fruit picking whatever and go try it out for a summer.
You can get the confidence from living /out/ for a while and make some money for working a hell of a lot of hours all while getting away from the internet you've grown dependent on.
After you're done you can chose where you want to go, usually farmers can help you find more work in the same field or you can use that new found confidence to explore new places and try new things
>>
>>726261
>>726258

Ski bum here, pretty much these posts.

>under 25
>little bit of cash
>crappy car
>unsure of direction in life

You're exactly like about 30% of the people I work with.
>>
>>726338
Whoops, meant

>>726279

A solid chunk of my dorm bros work at a cherry orchard over the summer. Most of the rest work at summer camps, zip line parks or as rafting guides.
>>
>>726239
>>726241

jeahhhh CT. I'm from Torrington personally, but i live in New Haven now. Decent hiking around here, but people get all hard for shore shit so I go to my parents for more fun. I took the motorcycle out to Monteville a few times because the roads are sweet out there.

I know of a few nurseries around the area that hire for spring work, that's a thing you can look into. Its hardish work, but its outside and you get dirty. I wanted to do it this year but I manage a bar so my early mornings are pretty much shot and scheduling is impossible. Lame.
>>
>mfw also 19 and live in Connecticut
Farmington anon here
I would just spend more time getting /out/ and exploring Connecticut
There's alot of neat shit honestly, alot of great fishing etc
Luckily I nabbed a sweet /out/ job or two and manage to keep myself relitivley happy by fishing
>>
>>726358

What job did you get. Im the Torrington guy and honestly I'm getting done with my stint in the restaurant game again. Prior to this I was a national park ranger out west and I'm missing it again.

How possible is it to get a state naturalist job. My love is cooking, beer, and human landscapes. If I can get back into that I think I'd be a lot happier.
>>
>>726390
I work at a farm and some other shit , I don't mind the hard work
>>
File: 0421151541.jpg (1011 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
0421151541.jpg
1011 KB, 1920x2560
>>726390
>>726394
I also worked seasonal for the state at a fish hatchery , I was hesitant to post this because any influx of people applying to the hatchery could very well ruin my chances of rehirey for future seasons and fuck me out of my dream job ,
If I were you I would try to see if you could apply at a state park etc even if you're just doing shit picking up trash it will be outdoors
Plus then you may be able to get into a position as a conservation officer
>>
>>726394

Nice dude. I wouldn't mind the hard work either, but my schedule fucks me. Like i said, I have a friend who works at a nursey and tree farm who could use a extra hand, but with the bar schedule I dont have two consecutive days off so fuck me if I want to do anything before 10am. Not exactly farm hours.

Either way, good on you!
>>
File: 1352000720361.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1352000720361.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2000
>>726220
OP, if you actually muster up the courage to leave home (which you wont), then you must realize all the bridges you're burning in exchange for pointless vain desires, contrary to your mother who provides for you.

Go find yourself a self-help book and a girlfriend. Running from your problems is childish and unbecoming.

"I never saw an oft-removed tree, nor yet an oft-removed family, that throve so well as those that settled be.” - Benjamin Franklin

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>726400
I basically do whatever I can currently fingers crossed il be rehired at the hatchery , but I work at a farm on weekends doing anything from planting, and picking, to processing firewood and building shit, I do occationally landscaping jobs, and occationally building maitnence (minor construction and cleaning etc)
>>
>>726403
>you need to seek validation through women and money
You're a fucking mess
>>
>5'3"

Just jump a cliff. That's pathetic even for a female.
>>
File: FoWo_logo3.png (129 KB, 886x346) Image search: [Google]
FoWo_logo3.png
129 KB, 886x346
>>726220
you can try WWOOFing... basically you pay only for the trip and then get food and accomodation in exchange for work at an organic farm. Good way of staying /out/ for a longer period of time, since farmers are more than happy to accomodate people for longer periods, so you could easily spend a year there without any great expenses...

You could choose some remote location without access to the internet, some outdoor work in the field...that should do the trick releasing you from being a hermit...
Maybe taking care of crops, or logging. Could be nice break from city life
>>
>>726220
I'm going to go a bit agaist the grain here for a minute. So hear me out...

Going /out/ and leaving everything you know behind to a whole new land. Sure it can be done. And has been. Anon you should stay where your at, for now.

Here's what I want you to do. Now promise me and yourself that you will actually do it. Right now. Outloud promise me you will at least do this before going on any grand adventure.

Seek a psychiatrist, go to at least 8 sessions and see how it feels. When your searching look for multiple ones. Call them and ask "what type of people do you see/treat whats your demographic most focused on, I'm a 19 year old male and I'm seeking some help and am just trying to find the right doctor for me."

When you find one. Throw yourself at it. Go all in even if some things seem stupid, just try them. Because your alternative to trying some meditation or writting a journal is giving pot heads on a couch at 3am a blowjob for 20 bucks for gas money. And you will be in a more shit situation then you think you are in now.

Leaving isnt gonna make you a man. Solving your issues (they arent what you think they are) then deciding on whether or not you want to go on some grand adventure or do something else like college or a trade program or become a truck driver. After you solved your issues is what is going to make you an adult/man.
>>
You're young op. That's a far bigger advantage than you could get from asking us for planning help. Just fucking do it. When you're a boring old fuck like me you will want to plan your trips in detail however when you're young it's great fun and great for learning if you travel raw. I did that when I finished university. I'm glad/out/ didn't exist back then.
>>
File: 54908e936a809.jpg (42 KB, 497x575) Image search: [Google]
54908e936a809.jpg
42 KB, 497x575
>>726220
>lefted
no such word
>5'3
>depressed and wanting to kill yourself
become a girl, you are short enough
>>
>>726481
stop being mean to strangers on the internet
>>
>>726461

This. I grew up in the north and young adults always got their first jobs for a logging company. Taught you how to be a man. I remember being 19 and some man stepped in some loose Earth and fell, his chainsaw cutting a few inches into his thigh. Everybody laughed it off. Got stitches and was back to work in a week. The pay is decent but it's not something I would spend my life doing. It gets you /out/ having to deal with weather, sometimes camping if the logging trails are flooded/too muddy, dealing with wild animals, etc. Was a fun experience.
>>
>>726512
I'm not being mean, you would make a good girl
a little hrt, some surgeries and you would be on a gravy train of semen and money
>>
>>726220
>I need permission from faggots to tell myself I'm going to stop being a faggot

This is why you actually should kill yourself
>>
>>726220
I feel like taking a summer trip to idaho is your fate. Maybe do a little side work here and there and camp and fly fish the rest of the time. Would be fun.
>>
Does the Jim Profit thing actually work?
>>
>>726403
How is he burning bridges? Please elaborate. I'm sure some mothers would like their son to become more independent, while others may want to keep sheltering their baby bird. Either way, though, you won't be burning a bridge with your own mother. That is, unless you have a really awful relationship with her.
>>
>>727115
well did it? lawls
>>
Alaska you bitch.
>>
File: 1459414339724.png (418 KB, 1186x1947) Image search: [Google]
1459414339724.png
418 KB, 1186x1947
>>726220
>>
>>726241
>un-tanited woods
>CT
choose one
That whole area is secondary growth
Or tertiary
>>
>>727280
that's cringy as fuck dude
>>
>>726403
>use Facebook
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>726220
Sell everything and start walking on the AT.
>>
>>726220
would like to know whats your backpack, really like it
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.