[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New coyote hunter tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: coyote1.jpg (86 KB, 640x456) Image search: [Google]
coyote1.jpg
86 KB, 640x456
I have been hunting dove and duck on a property for the last three years that is also used for cattle. It has become an annual event that coyotes kill at least one calf and last year they also ripped the tail off of another one. There was also and adult cow eaten but I do not know if it was scavenged or taken down by multiple yotes. Word got to my group that the two adjoining ranchers and ours have invited us to hunt the coyotes across all three properties.

I am planning to hunt them later this year and I am currently researching strategies and general practices for the hunts. I am trying to avoid what happened on my first every yote hunt. To make a long story short, I showed up after dark at a friend of my brothers house that I had never been to before. I woke up early and was ready to ride to the spot when the host said wait a minute i need a few puffs to get right... so 45 minutes later we are finally heading out and the sun is already peaking up. He drops me off and throws me a call and says let it run for about 30 minutes then cut it off. Ya all I say was a murder of crows trying to figure out wtf was making all that noise.

So here is what I got so far. Correct me if Im wrong or am otherwise mistaken.

Using electronic calls is effective and they should be placed 20-40 feet away from my position.

If nothing has come in to investigate within 45 minutes nothing is coming at all.

covering your smell isn't really something to be overly worried about for this type of hunt.

Have multiple locations to move to throughout the day.

Play the call for 30 seconds to 3 minutes and then have breaks between blast. Changing the call type is encouraged and doesnt normally scare off the yotes.

.223 / 556 will work just fine for this type of predator.

bring extra TP in the event a cougar shows up instead.
>>
I'd be more scared of a Coyote over a Bobcat or Cougar around here. Coyotes are pests a lot are rabid. I also prefer trapping over hunting. I can check my traps every day or do and put them down. No wasting a day sitting out if I don't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYP_8S9qPzs
>>
You missed the boat. Winter is the time for pres hunting. They are most desperate then, and their furs are most plush at that time as well.
>>
>>726208
I am planning on doing my scouting and gear acquisition during the off season and have duck hunts morning and evenings while hunting yotes in some variation of afternoon or at night.
>>
>>726207
I have gotten some leg traps that I will set at the start of every weekend and check periodically. I am currently practicing setting and hiding the traps around my property. In the hope that later this year I can effectively hide them
>>
File: IMG950793.jpg (272 KB, 901x901) Image search: [Google]
IMG950793.jpg
272 KB, 901x901
>>726196
Read more on calling setups. 45 minutes at a location is about right. You definitely DO need to worry about wind direction and scent (as well as all of the coyote's senses) They will try to approach you from downwind if at all feasible. You should be bathed and wearing scentlock in full camo. A natural cover scent is helpful as long as it is not out of place for the situation. Coyotes respond to different calls for different reasons at various times of the year. Distressed prey calls work the best in the dead of winter. Coyote vocalizations can be good during the breeding and whelping seasons. You can take advantage of their territorialism during these times. A well placed .223 is shot from a .223 is suitable coyote medicine. You should be very good with your rifle. They often come in fast and leave much faster. If you don't hit vital organs they will outrun you on 3 legs. You didn't mention what sort of terrain you have available to hunt. I sometimes hunt with a partner and we will have a shotgun and a rifle when hunting in brushy and partially wooded areas. (I am in the midwest. This probably isn't applicable to many western states) All that said, it is difficult to get everything to go right. Around here, hunting them with dogs is far more effective-pic related.
>>
>>726597

What do you do with Coyotes? I couldn't imagine eating something that feeds on dead things. Is Coyote fur profitable? What's the point? If it's population control, do the Forest Service at least tag them so you can claim rewards? The National Forest I live by just issued that white tail deer are becoming overpopulated and they are beginning to tag them. $100 a head.
>>
>>726602
The fur is not worth much. We averaged $18/raw pelt this year. When I was a kid they were worth $80 + a $50 bounty paid by the state. SJW's have made wearing fur socially unacceptable now though. Some people around here have one or 2 tanned pelts hanging as a decoration. No I would not eat. The point is to kill as many as possible because they are very destructive of livestock and more desirable wildlife. They have taken a heavy toll on the whitetailed deer population in my state as well as grouse, wild turkey, cottontail rabbit, etc. I admire their intelligence and resourcefulness while literally hating the animal. They will always be prolific despite the efforts of people like me though. Without a fur market, there will be lots of them in every state in the continental U.S.
>>
>>726609

Do you hunt anything else? I was raised hunting deer, elk, and bear. Hunting things like wolves, coyotes, bobcats, small game, etc. was "immoral" to my family. What the fuck is the difference between eating a deer and eating a squirrel? Anyways, I've been hunting smaller game recently and always come across Coyotes. They will follow you for miles snapping at your legs but not biting. I honestly can never tell if they are playing or being serious.
>>
>>726618
I hunt deer and rabbits and much prefer to do so over hunting coyotes. I hunt coyotes out of a sense of obligation. The behavior you describe of following and heel nipping isn't remotely anything like you find here. There were hardly any at all in the 80's but the population has grown steadily ever since. Even so you did not often see them as they avoided human contact. They are changing though. They have adapted well to living in cities and suburbs in recent years and are less afraid. One friend of a friend reportedly had a coyote come into him while field dressing a deer and he shot it with a bow this past fall. That is something I would never have imagined happening.
>>
>>726609
Whitetail?
Where in the US is there anything besides way too many deer?

Here in AR, we just found chronic wasting disease, which makes sense because of the super crowded population. Our herd is way fuckhuge even though everyone kills and eats them... We will see what happens once the disease runs its course, I suppose.
>>
>>726631
Ohio. Our herd and the quality of the herd has been in decline for some time now. Our state is heavily influenced by the insurance lobby and farm bureau in setting bag limits. Coyotes are not the only problem. The state wants too many deer killed in the opinion of most hunters here.
>>
>>726597
I am hunting in Texas just about an hour or so south of Dallas. The terrain is mostly fields of 12-15 acres with thin to 50 foot deep tree lines in between. not counting creek bottoms the terrain gradually shifts up or down 10 ft or so. The property I normally hunt is just over 500 acres but counting the other two properties i am looking at more like 1800 acres to roam on.
I will definitely bring along some scentlok. Thank you I wasn't 100 percent sure of that one.
It is iffy as to whether or not I will have a partner. I will be hunting yote in what is traditionally our nap time. I know just a bunch of lazy duck hunters.
>>
Walken knows coyotes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uICNy0PxssI
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.