[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup outdoor anons. What is your favorite military surplus camping/hiking/walking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: MOLLE ACU Large Ruck.jpg (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
MOLLE ACU Large Ruck.jpg
151 KB, 500x500
Sup outdoor anons.

What is your favorite military surplus camping/hiking/walking gear?

>move to beautiful place with nothing to do
>go camping on the side of a strange ridge formation covered in native paintings
>thinking of joining the military or reserve and need to get in better shape.

Basically looking for something that will hold a light but sustainable amount of food, tent, sleeping-bag, first aid kit, and can comfortably carry 2 liters of water, preferably in a camel pack.

No stove necessary but recommendations are welcome.

Also general tips on milsurp backpacking

Thanks
>>
>>725850
a stick'll do ya
>>
File: basic-molle-rifleman-system.png (311 KB, 774x919) Image search: [Google]
basic-molle-rifleman-system.png
311 KB, 774x919
>>725850
I ain't bought it yet but I'm thinking of buying pic related for bug-out and basic camping and an ALICE pack for EDC/regular walking/day hikes ( I walk EVERYWHERE; including to/from the grocery store and buy my groceries a week at a time ).
>>
>>725864
And inb4 people ask if I'm carrying grenades and stuff; I prob won't use a lot of those pouches for their original intended use although I will be carrying a defensive AR-15 for long camping trips in case of predator attacks.
>>
>>725864

This is perfect thanks man, its really hard to find these that haven't been pieced out to hell and back.

What do you carry innawoods?
>>
>>725864

How long have you been using it, how does it far?
>>
>>725872
xD I said I ain't bought it yet! Ask ( and then thank ) a veteran.

>>725870
I currently don't own a firearm and have only camped at state parks ( not national forests ) but want to change that. Right now I'm looking at the option of a defensive semi-auto AR-15 and/or M4 style rifle ( to work with >>725864 pic ) or a lever-action if I can't find anything prior. If I still can't find something I like out of both of those categories I'll prob just buy a Colt SAA in .45 or .44 magnum ( and not buy the set mentioned in the earlier parenthesis ) given both of those calibers SHOULD be able to stop an attack from any predator although I don't want to shoot something only for it to live/run/attack somebody else in a panic.
>>
Get an old ALICE pack off of Ebay. They sell anywhere from 20-70 bucks I've seen. It'll hold more than enough. I'd suggest getting a medium over a large as well. MAKE SURE IT COMES WITH THE FRAME. That's very important. And buy extra straps.
>>
The MOLLE assault pack is a pretty good size, but can be a fucking pain on your back. The rucksack is much more comfortable to carry thanks to the external frame and much improved straps.
Having MOLLE webbing outside is useful for extra external pouches, and having the straps along the sides/top/bottom is really useful for strapping on a sleeping pad, tent, and whatever else.

Best actual milsurp MOLLE pouches are probably canteen pouch, etool pouch, buttpack, and sustainment pouch.

I've been using a Camelbak (Motherlode I think?) for anything from pointlessly heavy day/night hikes and up to a few days, which is maybe a little larger than the assault pack and has an internal bladder. With the assault pack you usually strap the separate one onto the side, or on the rucksack you put it on the top.

Milsurp is usually damn cheap, but unused or other milspec stuff gets more expensive. The 3-day camelbak was something like $150 I think? But I bought it 4 years ago and it's still getting used.
>>
File: 54297747.jpg (143 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
54297747.jpg
143 KB, 900x900
>>725864
rucksack looks uncomfy /bulky schoolbag

plus: why is there no H2O blatter for the ruck? or do they strap the whole hydro carrier onto the rucksack?
>>
File: qtsoldier.jpg (104 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
qtsoldier.jpg
104 KB, 720x540
>>725878

>I ain't bought it yet but

And that's where I stopped reading to gaze at that epic pic you delivered.

I've got a few vet-friends who served from 2001-2005 in the Army and USMC, I might ask them but they don't like talking about it, especially my USMC friend.

>>725884
>>725971

I found this seller, its fresh from the manufactures box, free shipping; about 200 USD.

Worth it?

Think it would be cheaper to piece it all out?
>>
>>725864

Or if that anon wants to provide me with a link to where I could get the whole thing at that retarded awesome price, 9000 internets to you.
>>
>>726008
Yeah you strap the bladder in the rifleman set to the side/top. It makes it more modular I guess, but it isn't very good. No real support on the back of the hydration system either, gets sweaty and uncomfortable and it's just water in a bag against your back.

>>726025
If you think everything in the pack is worth it and if you're going to us everything in it, sure. Do I? No. The vest and mag pouches are pretty much good for carrying around the mags and combat gear, which you probably aren't going to need. Look for and price out what you think you'll use. Used gear is also usually still in pretty damn good condition.

I have no idea what the USMC uses, but I've heard from a few people that their pack is better. Also I think that a lot of their field gear is in a single color (but I may just be imagining shit), which makes you stand out less in a non-military setting.
>>
This is my bag. Have had it two years now and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Holds my hammock, tarp, small cooking pot(which I stuff the hammock in), water, food, a change of clothes and my mini stove and canister all in the main pouch. Which also has an envelope compartment for maps and shit and has a two liter bladder I believe.

The second compartment I keep my toiletries and miss match items like batteries and what not in. Plenty of room to fit some food pouches in there if you're feeling frisky.

The catch all pocket is right up top and has enough room for sunglasses plus some other things.

Two side pockets. They're small and flat so I keep my map and Compass in there for easier access.

Quick release straps which are nice and a whole butt load of molle on the front which I strap my first aid kit and tent to.

And it's only 45$.
>>
File: 61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61m9RmSAaDL._SL1000_.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
>>726131
My bad. This must be an older one.

Here we go.
>>
>>726035
Sure, my bad. I should have included a link.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=56247
Or if you like to do it the old fashioned way...
>Visit http://www.armysurplusworld.com/
>Click on "Genuine U.S. Military" from the menu on the left side.
>Scroll the pages to see the what they have.
>On Page six you will find the bundle I posted in >>725864
>Buy gear.
>Enjoy it.
>>
File: keira-knightley-skinny-body.jpg (242 KB, 872x1331) Image search: [Google]
keira-knightley-skinny-body.jpg
242 KB, 872x1331
Thanks guys appreciate all the good info
>>
Medium alice with frame.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Med-ALICE-pack-with-LC1-straps-Woodland-Camo-Military-issue-FREE-SHIPPING-/272190489605?hash=item3f5fd14405:g:lzAAAOSws4JW8cxc

Only use External frame surplus packs for any sort of long distance of heavy weight. You will thank me later.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.