[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I stupidly left my water filter outside with freezing temperatures.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
So I stupidly left my water filter outside with freezing temperatures. It wasn't frozen shut the next morning. How can I test for damage?
>>
>>724750
Use it to drink some contaminated water. If you get sick Im afraid its time to buy another $20 filter.
>>
Just get a new one. They're cheap.
>>
>>724750

Freezing temperatures themselves won't hurt it unless there's actually water inside of it. If you normally clear it out after using it you should be fine. I suppose you could test it by filtering some muddy water.
>>
>>724750
You would have to get a water testing kit and so,e water you knew was contaminated. Like >>724756
Said they're not that expensive though and it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new one and be safe
>>
>>724756
>>724754
Tnx. I was afraid this would be the best option. :/
Shit costs €33 here.
>>
>>724750
Do you have access to a microscope? Do a pre-filtered slide to check for bacteria, and a post-filtered slide to see if anything got through. You may even be able to stop by a school and use one there.
>>
File: IMG_4080.jpg (830 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4080.jpg
830 KB, 1632x1224
>>724765
I have a Lamotte water testing kit with portable spectrometers, and portable pH, DO sensors. I don't need any of this stuff anymore and if someone is interested, lemme know.
>>
File: IMG_4081.jpg (768 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4081.jpg
768 KB, 1632x1224
>>725926
>>
>>724767
Same here (germany). Just order directly in the US, you get the filter for less than 20 Euroshekels.
>>
Do you have a younger brother or sister to test it on?
>>
>>724750
Dude, it may not be ruined but you can't trust it anymore. Throw it away and and spend the 20 bucks for a new one.
>>
>>724750
Shit in a bucket of water then drink the water thru the filter.

If you start feeling bad drink your own piss as antidote, then throw out the filter.

Otherwise filter still good.
>>
>>726177
I support this method
>>
if it's a sawyer they use activated materials and entanglement IIRC rather than the perforated membrane style filter so wouldn't be damaged by freezing.

I'd double check it's method of filtration though as I can remember aquamira's are fine with freezing but and not 100% on sawyers method
>>
>>726590
Dude it says right in the instructions not to let it freeze
>>
>>726590
It uses hollow fiber membrane technology, just like most backpacking filters now. The fibers never fully dry out after the first use which means when it freezes the expansion of the water can damage the fibers.
>>
I let my Platypus filter freeze on the first night of a 5 day trip... I just had to man up and test it out to be sure it was safe. Sometimes you must risk shitting your pants to ensure your equipment isn't damaged.
>>
>>727245
It could still be broken and the water you used was fine without filtering. Plenty of people use no filter or disinfection for years without problem.
>>
>>726177

Literal shitposting kek
>>
>>725939
>>725951
Kek
>>
>>724767
I'd rather buy a new one than get sick or a disease
>>
>>727251
I've hiked the entire JMT with it and several other day hikes filtering dirty LA water where Mexicans are playing in the river with no issues following it freezing. I accidentally took one sip out of my lifestraw bottle at a restaurant when I had them fill it up and realized my mistake. Was shitting myself a few hours later on the trail. I have no doubt my filter is safe for use.
>>
>>727765
I remember you talking about the lifestraw incidence sometime last year anon. How did you screw up again? Was there water in the straw or what?
>>
>>725926
>>725933
Why do you have this? Curious
>>727245
That's retarded
>>
File: 872186.jpg (16 KB, 176x440) Image search: [Google]
872186.jpg
16 KB, 176x440
>>730008
That's pretty funny, what happened I was on the trail and told there was a restaurant a few miles down the road. Hiked over to it and had a real meal and a few beers. When getting ready to leave I asked the waitress to fill up my lifestraw bottle with water. She overfilled it, and instead of just dumping some of it out like a logical person would, my alcohol induced stupidity led me to take a sip out of the container instead. As a result, I shit myself for 2 days straight and created fond memories.

Bottle looks like pic to give you an idea of my fuck up.
>>
>>730585
What's even more retarded is I had a spare filter =]
To be honest all I had to do was leave it for 3 minutes and it worked fine. I think it was just clogged with a piece of frost. I have a fair amount of experience working with filters for water purification from the Navy.
>>
>>731365

Wait, you got the shits from water in LA? Sure it wasn't the food?
>>
>>731377
It could have been the free hash brownie the waitress gave me... got so high I shit myself 0.0
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.