[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HANDLE FINISHING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Condor Moonshiner.jpg (731 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Condor Moonshiner.jpg
731 KB, 2592x1944
My main /out/doors knife is this (not my pic tho). It's a damn fine blade. It takes an edge well and holds it well. I refinished the blade with a mustard patina but the handle comes unfinished (like all Condor products). I bought 220 grit sandpaper & boiled linseed oil last night. I sanded the handle and applied a light coating of the oil to it and I plan to apply more light coatings every 24 hrs for the next week and finish up with a beeswax finish. I've heard that "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for life" is what to go by as far as finishing knife handles goes. Am I doing this right, /out/?
>>
you probably only need to oil it a couple of times and then just wax it and oil it occassionally. it should be fine honestly. you don't want a hard setting finish like varnish because that will give you blisters and you will loose grip
>>
>>724427
>>>/diy/ has a few knife making threads from time to time including info on what you're talking about.
>>
File: ffdp.jpg (148 KB, 1342x291) Image search: [Google]
ffdp.jpg
148 KB, 1342x291
>>724427
Your plan should work great, I find tung oil to be an easier solution though.
>>
has anyone simply put the knife handle in a jar of oil and let is absorb over time?
>>
>>724427
That's really going to be overkill
>>
>>724430
I'll apply the beeswax 2 days from now then
>>724436
fuck, I've never even been on /diy/. Thanks anon
>>724473
Is that your knife?It's good-looking
>>724504
I've heard that's counter-productive but I don't really know
>>726280
It already has been, lol. Will post pics when done tho
>>
>>726347
Pics?
>>
File: P1010197.jpg (463 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
P1010197.jpg
463 KB, 1333x2000
>>724427
I personally would recommend going a little higher grit with the sandpaper, if you want a really nice finish. I personally used a polishing wheel on the last knife i made and it really shined it up nicely, pic related. topping up the linsed oil regularly at first can't hurt. I like to soak them in the stuff for a day or two for the first application.
>>
>>728482
Good work on the ricasso mod
>>
>>728489
not sure what you mean exactly, as it's not really got a ricasso?
>>
Take it up to 800, and use Tru-oil. Ya done goofed.
>>
>>724427
Yes, BLO is the way to go.

I don't follow the saying on when to reapply, I just do it when the wood starts looking dry. If you use the thing a lot it will wear the wood smooth and the oils from your skin will help keep it conditioned.

Tried & True makes a finish that is boiled linseed oil + beeswax and I use it on all my axe and shovel handles. Shit works like a champ.
>>
I love these threads. Keep them coming !!!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.