[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ literature.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Endurance Alfred Lansing.jpg (44 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
Endurance Alfred Lansing.jpg
44 KB, 333x499
What /out/ book would you recommend?
>>
>>724347
Been thinking of picking up Endurace, is it any good?
>>
>>724414
I'd like to know this as well
>>
Scott and Amundsen: Duel in the Ice. Great book.
>>
>>724414
Great read! I had to read it for a class but I got so into it just to see how they make it out.
>>
>>724541
>>724414

Its an excellent read. I have to remind myself that those events actually occurred, because that was such an extraordinary feat.

>>724608
This anon's got a point, it was just so hard to put down.
>>
>>724347
The last book I read that was somewhat /out/ related was "Three Cups of Tea". I mean at least he is in the mountains and shit.

Anyway I hate reading and one year at college they gave everybody a copy of this book. It wasn't for a class or anything but I was commuting so I had lots of down time smoking weed in my car in between classes. I actually enjoyed the book. They even had the author come and speak at our school.

A couple years later he was all over the news for stealing a bunch of money from the foundation.

So kids, the moral of the story is: Don't waste your time with books.
>>
"The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14363
>>
>>724347
>>724347
Great book. I actually went to the same school as Shackleton and they had his equipment and the James Caird up on display, parading him as a school legend. The irony was that he actually hated the school he was in and left after three years at 16 for the military!
>>
>>724347
Endurance is great, if you wanna read some historical nautical fiction try "We The Drowned".
>>
>>724347
Desert Solitaire is GOAT
>>
File: 20897517.jpg (23 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
20897517.jpg
23 KB, 312x475
>>724347
Pic related. It's in much the same vein as Endurance, but honestly it gets even crazier. Absolutely absurd what these guys went through. There are multiple points where you just have to put the book down and think "Holy shit, people did this willingly and survived to talk about it." Can't recommend it highly enough.
>>
"In the heart of the sea" is a great telling of the Essex adventure/ disaster, especially if you like the Shackleton's story, the survivors of the Essex actually travelled four times the distance of Shackleton's crew. Fuck the new movie, the book is just really well written narrative non fiction.
>>
>Everything written by John Muir

Seriously, he's basically the daddy who got the park system the recognition that it has.
>>
>>724414
>endurance
More like At the Mountains of Madness, the nonfiction edition.

Great survival story, the book tells it well, but goddamn it's bleak. It does a good job of conveying how utterly insignificant humans are in the face of a deadly but indifferent environment. The fact that the expedition survives gives it a hfy! feel in addition to its lovecraftian vibe.

Would recommend.
>>
>>725804
this
>>
>>724414
its bloody amazing
>>
I've read a lot of Clint Willis - he has a number of anthologies about out. https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/7194.Clint_Willis
>>
File: standard_hamsun_portrett.jpg (42 KB, 229x310) Image search: [Google]
standard_hamsun_portrett.jpg
42 KB, 229x310
Hamsun is truly fantastic.
>>
File: farleymowatt.jpg (255 KB, 800x647) Image search: [Google]
farleymowatt.jpg
255 KB, 800x647
>>724347
Farley Mowatt: here's two good ones.
>>
>>725804
thirding this

also, anything by Cormac McCarthy
>>
>>
>>725270
The co-author (not the guy that built all the scools) ended up killing himself as well.
>>
>>728212
Growth of the Soil is a masterpiece. it's the perfect combination of /out/ with some /diy/ and a bit of /pol/ in it
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.