[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK Camping/Hiking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14
File: Brecon-Beacons_2617258k.jpg (143 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
Brecon-Beacons_2617258k.jpg
143 KB, 858x536
What are some good places in the UK for hiking that allow you to camp anywhere without being restricted to campsites?
I don't want to be arrested for being a gypsy or shot by a farmer.

I live in the Midlands so have easy access to wales.
>>
>>723751
scotland and parts of dartmoor are the only official 'camp freely' type places... but anywhere hillsy is fine if you go accurately and with special lines. if no one knows you're there or have been there, yo're good. if you're on a farmers field, you're probably not doing it right. if you're on a mountain and not being a dick, you're on teh motherfuckign case anon.
>>
Move to a better country. I don't support inbred families or sheep fucking.
>>
>>723754
>if you're on a farmers field, you're probably not doing it right.

Pretty much every square foot of Britain is owned by someone tho
>>
Someone with good 3G signal would be good.
>>
>you will never be able to migrate to america
How is this even fair? They have european roots goddammit. Im just late.
>>
>>723781
There's always canada. If you're skilled they'll probably take you
>>
>>723786
Im not skilled nor educated
>>
File: DSC_0296.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0296.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
Pic from a 330 mile bike ride around Devon & Cornwall. Did about 450 around south west Ireland too, camping in ditches, woods, copses ... pretty much anywhere where there were two sturdy trees. There are billions of spots if you're not too picky. Hammock & tarp means you don't need flat or clear ground. Don't light a fire until after dark, just don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself.
>>
How do you avoid being horribly murdered?
>>
File: DSC_0553small.jpg (408 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0553small.jpg
408 KB, 980x551
>>723820
Kerry, Ireland - almost entirely under private ownership and very inaccessible. ... except below the springs high water mark.
>>
>>723838

Nice tarp work there. But what's that line running from the tree branch on the top that's tied to a thin blue line for?
>>
>>723751

Fucking beautiful photo, anon. I too am confused by the English attitude to wild camping. The Scandis have it right, it should be every man's fucking right.
>>
SNOWDONIA
I mean they say you cant camp but in all honesty, pitch late, pack up early, use a stove and who's to know?
>>
>>724337
>I too am confused by the English attitude to wild camping.

99% of land in Britain is privately owned.
>>
So what's the rules on carrying knives while camping?
>>
either national park in scotland is good but you WILL turn up to find a lot of land fenced off and shit so be prepared to trek further to find anywhere decent to camp

these fences are rarely marked on any maps too, just to make it even more difficult

i have found a few perfect spots in my time but i never share them with anyone, no jakies allowed
>>
File: 20160321_085217.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160321_085217.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>723751
Snowdonia.
This was last week, near rhyd ddu and then next night in some forest near betws y coed.
Just pitch up late and stay out of obvious sight.
>>
>>724424
This

I camp in the peak district all the time; I just pitch up in the woods when it starts to get dark and keep my noise down.
>>
>>724365

http://www.newstatesman.com/life-and-society/2011/03/million-acres-land-ownership
>>
>>723751
If you want specific recommendations, obviously and as others have said Scotland can't be beat, and Dartmoor is good just for the sake of removing the annoying worry of being caught.

As for the rest of England/Wales, I've found that it's surprisingly easy to find large areas of land for wild camping by searching on Google Maps. The New Forest and thetford Forest are examples of areas that are easily noticed in satellite view as being neither urban nor rural: The land looks distinctly non-artificial.

However nothing beats local knowledge. My mum's partner is a Dorset country bumpkin and when I mentioned I was going to be wild camping in New Forest he recommended Wareham Forest as quieter and less heavily managed. Did a solo one nighter there a few nights ago (Friday, when the weather was decent). Took a long time to find a patch of forest that had the right attributes for a decent site while also being hidden or far away from all the footpaths, but when I did it was perfect. Pic related.

GMaps coordinates of my camp site: 50.722981, -2.135441

If anyone's interested in providing specific google maps coordinates for places you've actually camped, I'll populate them into a custom Google map that we can all use as reference.
>>
>>724372
as long as you're not carrying a fucking samurai sword and you're obviously kitten out for camping, you have decent grounds to claim you're carrying it as a tool rather than an offensive weapon. same with axes.
>>
Dartmoor looks like where I should head then.

Wonder if I should take some supplies to catch crayfish, apparently there's loads down there.
>>
I cycled Oxford to Birmingham this weekend and camped on the way. Waited until it was dark, found a field with no direct line of sight to any buildings and just pitched up. Left when the sun rise, no one noticed.

The Lake District is really nice for wild camping, and it's actually allowed. Pitch your tent next to a tarn, there'll be running water nearby and it'll likely be flat.
>>
>>723751
>I don't want to be arrested

You can't be arrested. Provided you don't cause damage or a disturbance then it is a civil matter, and there is nothing they can reasonably sue you for. So provided you're not a nob there is nothing anyone can do other than ask you to move on. If the bloke who owns some random hill in the middle of nowhere wants to tramp up it in the middle of the night and tell me to sod off, he can crack on. Never happened yet though. Besides, if anyone other than the occasional like-minded hill walker sees your tent then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>724906
yeah
>>
>>723755
#argiedefenseforce #takebacktheFalklands
>>
>>724730
>>724730
crayfish and rabbits seems like a good diet
>>
Any suggestions for the closest place to london where it's possible to practice bushcraft/stealth camping?
>>
>>727332
Norway
>>
>>723758
yeah but a hell of a lot of it is common grazing land, or national trust land, or like a lot of the lake district owned but with total public right of way.
>>
>>727332

Anywhere that you can't be easily seen / found.

It really saddens me that the world seems to be ok with shutting off the availability of the wilderness to the common man. The scandis have it right, we should all have allemansratten.
>>
>>727376
Scotland has the right to roam, but it's a bit of a cunt to get to from London. The Forestry Commission or the Woodland Trust should help out. In fact, I have a connection with the woodland trust. I'll ask.
>>
>>727332
Just get on google earth and look for big woodlands. I've had great times squatting and poaching in the downs of Kent and Surrey.
>>
>>723804
Just pretend to be a refugee like everyone else
>>
Wait, what? Is it really true that most of England is no camping allowed?

I've been living in Scotland most of my life as an entry-level hiker/camper and understood that camping wherever you like is OK as long as it's subtle and you clear up after yourself, not do it on private land, etc.

I moved down to London end of last year and I intended to do the South Downs in a few weeks' time now that there is more sunlight. I was relying on being able to pitch tents at night along the way since I'm too much of a poorfag to do Airbnb and hotel rooms every night. So doing this would be totally forbidden/illegal or what? Do I really have to find campsites?
>>
>>723825
Guns are illegal here so that's technically not even possible
>>
File: retard.jpg (28 KB, 450x373) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
28 KB, 450x373
>>728859
>can't be murdered if guns are illegal
>>
File: dyhBrain.jpg (349 KB, 1273x712) Image search: [Google]
dyhBrain.jpg
349 KB, 1273x712
>>728859
brainwashed idiot
>>
File: 1459154193812.jpg (34 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1459154193812.jpg
34 KB, 600x549
>>728859
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders
>>
>>728847
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/sd_way_campsites_2013_0.pdf
I live at the foot of the downs, plenty of people camp but its not lawful. You will only get asked to move along though, there are NT Wardens on quads going about the place you will see, the pdf has all the campsites on it if you did want to pitch up somewhere with toilets, etc.
>>
>>728976
Thanks for this, anon. I understand the intentions behind not being allowed to camp anywhere you like, just really surprised it's actually enforced.
>>
File: 1443986982542.jpg (16 KB, 241x241) Image search: [Google]
1443986982542.jpg
16 KB, 241x241
>>728877
>>728927
>>728969
baited, too easy
>>
File: 1458724540323.jpg (20 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
1458724540323.jpg
20 KB, 307x307
What the fuck is there to burn in this soggy unpleasant land? Everything is just caked in mud, wet leaves or moss and is damp as fuck
>>
>>723755
LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINA
>>
>>727376
>the Scandis have it right
Are anglocucks THIS desperate to not give the Scots credit for anything?
>>
>>729227
As far as I understand the Scottish allemansratten law is super recent compared to that of the Scandos. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So Anglocuck is justified.
>>
>>729012
>>728847
Dude, nobody gives a damn as long as you're not camped where town council wankers can see you. Nobody's going to hike up the South Downs for the sole purpose of telling you to bugger off.
That being said, I did find it harder to find stealth camping spots on the South Downs than in other areas in the south.
>>
>>729225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkcTpCur7g
>>
>>729227

What is it with you amerifucks having a boner for britbongs? I'm neither, dingus.
>>
>>728174

You don't need a "connection". Just go where you can't be found, and don't be super obvious about it (ie no massive bonfires, don't shit up the place with litter).
>>
>>729246

Question: I'm an Ausfag moving to Englustan in the next few months. I'm thinking about buying a hammock rather than an expensive tent. We don't really have downs or moors here; would a hammock be problematic (ie large areas of no trees)? Sounds like a stupid question kek but I'm really not sure.
>>
>>728976

>Cover page
>Picture of a pale, overweight English guy in his 50s wearing a singlet
>Yep, looks like every UK campsite I've seen

kek
>>
>>729254

Hahaha oh wow

Thanks for posting that anon. Great subtitles, kek. It's fucking crazy if that's what they're telling their kids. The video even contradicts itself at various points. They got whipped by the Brits and now they reek of butthurt.
>>
File: P1020090.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
P1020090.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
Me and a buddy just were in Dartmoor for a 1 week wild camping trip last month, I can definately recommend that
>>
>>727332
you could try the ashdown forest in East Sussex
>>
>>724335
This was by the shore. Someone didn't want their boat floating away.
>>
>>729757
Well for stealth purposes I always find myself camping among trees anyway, so you could pull off a hammock. It's just one more complication you're adding to the task of finding a good campsite.
>>
File: GEDDON.jpg (29 KB, 676x594) Image search: [Google]
GEDDON.jpg
29 KB, 676x594
>tfw live in Plymouth
>tfw I have Dartmoor and Cornwall right on my doorstep

Feels ansum
>>
File: campr.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
campr.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>>723751
Just camp in a woodland and you'll be fine. Make sure you make a fire at dusk, and clean up after yourself and 99% of the time nobody is going to bother you.

>>723820
That woodland looks nice.

>>729175
Dead Hazel that's still on the tree is perfect to burn. Strip the bark off if it's wet.
>>
>>730317
Have you seen the Hound or those big cats?
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
>>723751

I hear a lot of what people are saying, and yes 'land ownership' is a valid point. Finding out though is a consummate ballache and often not practical So let's just sit down with a brew and have a think about things for a mo'

you're likely to be camping out in a pretty remote spot if you're 'hiking'. realistically the only people you're going to encounter are others doing the same thing.

given you're in the middle of nowhere, do you really expect the landowner, or their representatives to be able to see you pitch up? if they do call the fuzz lets just think. trespass is a civil, not a criminal offense, so legally, the fuzz can only respond to a complaint IF they have the time/resources to do so- are the fuzz going to want to traipse up a hillside somewhere, most likely in the dark to try and find you to ASK you to move as there has been a complaint?you'd be well within your rights to ask the police to prove the complaint is the landowner, or tenant before even thinking about moving

as long as you don't go leaving mountains of orange peel, baked bean tins and scorched turf ( ie clean up before you leave) there is no way of really knowing you've been there.

IF and it's a big IF (I've only ever had one farmer in a decade of yomping around Snowdonia actually come over to investigate which was purely by accident) if you're obviously not a retard, or reeking of green you should pass the initial 'dickhead check' be chill, offer a coffee & explain you're hiking a bit and ask if they'd be ok with you staying put for the night now they're here to ask? I can pretty much guarantee you'll be fine. I cant honestly say I've ever heard of anyone being moved on

obviously common sense. keep light/noise to a minimum, and don't leave a mess and don't get up to shit you wouldn't like done if it was your land (bubble baths in troughs and that kind of shit)
>>
>>730317
I live near Truro, there's some nice places around here if you get out of the way.
>>
>>730782
Not yet, always keep an eye out though it has become a bit of a meme between me and my mate.

>>730958
Me and a friend found a little wooded area around Trago Mills just off the A38. It throws off some real dogging vibes
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.