[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /out/ think of parangs? Personally I detest the idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160326_190549.jpg (485 KB, 802x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_190549.jpg
485 KB, 802x1440
What does /out/ think of parangs? Personally I detest the idea that a big knife can do the work of an axe, but short of building a house you can do anything with one of these. Also parang general.
>>
>>722876
>parang
>bolo
>sheddy
>kukri
>bowie
gladius

tomætoe
tomahdoe
>>
>>722877
>knoife
>>
Just another machete

Waste of time unless you have a ton of shitty brush where you go, like lantana. Then, it's very useful.
>>
>>722876
I'm pretty sure a quality kukri can do the work of an axe, and a knife at the same time. Half of Nepal was built with that as the lone tool.
>>
this is m'sheddy, this is m'knife
this is for yardword, this is for life
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 695x521) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 695x521
>>722906
Pic related

>>722908
Took the words out of my mouth
>>
I have absolutely no need for a kukri, but I like the idea of having a small-ish one on my belt as a part of my high speed /out/ persona. I have money for a good one, what should I get?

>implying half the fun of being out isn't the satisfaction you get from using a good piece of gear

I can't fucking wait to hit a branch with my big elbowed knife
>>
>>722916
>high speed /out/ persona
wat
>>
>>722918
>high speed, low drag
>>
>>722918
Live it nigga
>>
>>722918
If you wanna be high speed, you gotta do it my way.

My way, or the doggone highway.
>>
>>722916

Using gear makes far too much noise

You have much to learn
>>
>>722876
curved blades suck / impractical
>>
>>722943
Listen guy, I've tried stripping bark, gutting fish, and cracking branches with my fingernails, it's freaking hard.
>>
>>722916
HI kukri, something in the 12" range seems to be pretty popular.
>>
>>722877
gladius was not a utility tool you tool
romans used the dolabra to cut stuff and dig and whatnot. it's a bastard of a tomahawk and a pickaxe.
>>
>>722947
So you use only box cutters?
>>
>>722992
The one thing about those wharncliffe blades are they are so damn easy to sharpen. Difficult to chop food with though because you can't roll it like most knives.
>>
If you are in a rain forest or some place like Florida or Louisiana, then by all means carry a machete. But everywhere else an axe is far superior.
>>
>>722876
>What does /out/ think of parangs?
Why the fuck even bother with a large knife when hatchets are a thing?
>>
>>722957
no i know. i'm not being a tool. the gladius design is being sold now as a sheddy type thing for spergs or wizards to hack at weeds. that's all i meant.
>>
>>723008

And you don't even need a hatchet most times, as there's fallen branches already broken up for you/small trees you can break buy hand or with your foot by stomping on them.
>>
>>723112

It's snowing or raining 90% of the year here. Fallen branches and trees are useless here.
>>
>>722876

Whoever tried to put an edge on those must presumably have used a fucking angle-grinder.
>>
>>723468

you don't have to be precise when you start with leaf springs
>>
>>722876
Parang>kukri, this is fact
>>
>>723468
It's hard to tell from the picture but grinding looks fine to me. The left one has a mark, but maybe there was an uneven spot that had to be grinded away.
>>
better than a kukri
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.