[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Permanent Forest Shelter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 0630C.jpg (289 KB, 1503x818) Image search: [Google]
0630C.jpg
289 KB, 1503x818
I live in a built up urban environment, with a largish forest with lots of tracks going through it near by.

I've found a few spots that are have no line of sight from tracks due to curve of terrain.

I'd like to setup a stealth camp in the forest for the occasional solo overnight getaway.
It will have to be stealth as no camping is allowed in there. And for my personal security.

I can just setup a ground sheet, small camo tent/fly, with sleeping mat and sleeping bag and I'm done.

However I snore pretty loud, so that might give me a way.

I have considered the http://treefool.com/ solution, looks like it would take some training and equipment, its never to late to learn something new after all.

Any suggestions how I deal noise concealment apart from hoist myself 30 meters into a tree ?
>>
>>722328
Why do you think this is a good idea? If camping isn't allowed, the first person that finds you is going to have something to say about it. I have camped in places I probably shouldn't have, for a night at a time and never returned to the same spot. Moving a few yards off trail in an urban environment will not keep you undiscovered for long no matter how high in a tree you are. If snoring is enough to give you away, a tent or tree house certainly will regardless.

3/10 for getting me to reply.
>>
>>722334
Thanks for the effort of replying anon.
Your thoughts HAVE triggered an idea. What if I created a small shelter out of the plentiful supply of fallen branches and tree's, and lined it with MLV for sound proofing ?
>>
File: leanto.jpg (177 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
leanto.jpg
177 KB, 400x300
>>722342
I honestly think your only way to avoid detection without digging an underground bunker is to blend in to the landscape. You can build a lean to with deadfall but it won't blend in year round and if camping isn't allowed, I doubt cutting foliage is either. This could get you in significantly more trouble if caught depending on where you live.

Why not just find a place close to where you live where you can camp?
>>
>>722344
-- "Why not just find a place close to where you live where you can camp?"

Sigh... Its close by, and easy to get to. I don't need a car to get there. Don't own one either. Other people camp there, I see evidence of the messy bastards from time to time when I go hiking in there (toilet paper food and drink containers). I'm thinking of making a simple frame out of the abundant supply of fallen branches and fallen thin tree's to make a simple frame, about 2.5meters long .8meters wide and .8meters high. I could then stitch on MLV to sound proof it, cover it with tent mesh for bugs.Put it on a low 20cm high legs to keep it off the ground. And then gather and plant a variety of native shrubs all around it for concealment.
>>
>>722406
If you're gonna do it regardless of what people tell you, then do it.

Getting up 30 meters will not nearly be as hard as getting down.
>>
>>722406
Don't bother with the sound proofing - its a synethetic material and doesn't belong /out/ in this context.

Build a framed debris shelter, if you've done it right it'll be thick enough to reduce the sound of snoring to the point where a person ain't gonna hear it till they're basically on you.
>>
>>722406
Mate if my friends and I found that weird looking shit in the forest we'd at least have a look and I'm sure others would even wreck it
>>
>>722328
I found a hobo camp in Arlington, VA by the putrid smell of human feces. Smelled the camp way before I saw it.
>>
>>722406
If you see evidence of others in there, you'll have to conceal it to an extreme degree as they'll possibly find your camp.
>>
Build some walls around an area for a campfire and lean to shelter. I used to have something similar to Survival Lilly's but it was much larger. There was a tree in the middle and I built a wall around it. The tree had my ladder stand. I used the shelter primarily for hunting but stayed there when I went fishing in the Spring too because there's a river about 7 miles from it. I built an A frame shelter off the tree and a camp fire facing the opening. Behind the shelter I had firewood storage and a splitting stump. Most of the walls were 5-6" except one was 4'. It's what I climbed over to get in. I was thinking of planting blackberry bushes around the perimeter but I didn't want a bunch of bugs, rats, snakes, etc.

I'm 22 now and this was all when I was really into hunting in my teenage years. I haven't used it in years. It's on my Grandparent's property and they always tell me it's still up there when I come to visit.
>>
File: SixMoonDesigns-LunarSolo.jpg (184 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
SixMoonDesigns-LunarSolo.jpg
184 KB, 1000x1000
>>725081
Thanks for the great post's.
Its given me a lot to think about.
I'm thinking of building a simple A Frame shelter in there out of tree and branch debris. Just big enough so i can sit up in it. Lie down in it to sleep, and just wide enough for me, and my gear. I'll put it on a few logs to just keep it off the ground. Line it with Mosquito netting, to keep the bugs out.

I'm also thinking of buying enough camo net to cover it.

http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/images/camo/LargeBlind-w-camera.jpg

This looks to be the perfect color for the Ozi Bush.

I have to assume someone will eventually find it. However there is no sign of human presence in the area I've chosen, its hard to get to.

Camo net is on sale here in Australia for $150 for 20x10 ft, which is expensive.

I might make some with som black fish net, and tie on bits of random cut brown and green cloth.

It won't cost me much, mostly just time.

If someone finds it, no big deal.
>>
>>722328
Start by putting down either a wood platform or building a rope cot. Put up a dome frame and cover at least the area you'll sleep under with a cheap reflective Mylar blanket for extra warmth and rain proofing. Then pile debris on top of that so it looks like a mound, rather than a lean-to so it's less noticeable. Obviously no fires, but even a tea candle will warm it up pretty quick in even the coldest weather.
>>
>>722328

>Watched 'What is treefool' video on website.

I want to punch this fag out.
>>
Just make sure you don't leave a trail. People will investigate it they notice a path into the brush.
>>
Really bad idea OP. Someone is bound to find your place eventually and if its a homeless person you'll only create an /out/ crack and poop den. Plus if someone finds you out there expect to be in trouble.

If you really arent close to real wilderness then sorry. Dont go fucking up someone's/the cities land just for your fantasy bunker.
>>
>>726470

This. I built a fort in a National Forest about 7 miles off the trail. I thought nobody would find it. Within the year that I tried to maintain it, it was torn down or fucked with twice, spray painted, bunch of trash left behind, etc. Even found human shit in it once. But this is shithole burgerland. I'm sure Europeans have more respect for others.
>>
Sigh...
I guess it will eventually get found.
And fucked with.
Which leaves me with plan B.
Purchase the following.

ultra light tent for 1, whats a good one for Australia, which is normally hot and humid, we are coming into winter. But we never get snow around here.

Purchase a light weight inflatable sleeping mat.

Use my 20 year old sleeping bag, and just have the occasional night in the spot I found, so as not to create a track.

I am thinking of buying some night vision head gear so that I can move in and out after dark without even a flash light to give away my position, once the tent is up, I'll cover it with a black out cloth to kill light. Crawl inside and read.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (221 KB, 1000x958) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
221 KB, 1000x958
>permanent shelter
>avoid detection
>stealth camping

lol That's rich. There's no such thing as a permanent shelter that can avoid detection. People go everywhere and investigate literally everything. Doubly so in a location that has nothing else better to do where any signs of life/human disturbance will be investigated as per an unwritten code.

>>727305
Any tent with a nice thick bottom that can be totally sealed up will work. It is only to keep insects and such out off you and out of your equipment and keep you dry if it ever rains or dew falls.

I suggest you pick your locations during the daytime. You can then clear the ground and prep the area without leaving much trace.

If you really want to go stealth and still be able to find your pre-perped camp sites, take along a bottle of clear UV-reactive spray paint/ink. Like this stuff:

http://www.blacklight.com/items/blwii8

Put it in a misting spray bottle. Mark the trees, rocks, whatever as you leave the camp site. At night, when you return with your cheap night vision goggles you can bring along a small LED blacklight flashlight (super cheap). It will light up the UV reactive paint, leading you directly to the locations you want to return to.
>>
>>722328
Permanent shelters near an urban environment can't work no matter which way you slice it. People eventually find it and like to fuck with your stuff. What you could do is stow caches at different places to create a "pop up" site. Many people use this method including myself. Once found a pretty well hidden one on this hillside full of food, booze, and some picnic tarps and flys. Normally it's just easier to pack your own stuff in, but if you feel like you absolutely need more shit for a one nighter, or taking a group with you, go right ahead. Just be smart about where to hide your gear.
>>
>>727490
Kind of like, Bug-out waypoint caches. Very well hidden, often times buried caches of supplies for the express purpose of digging up later if you are forced to bug out in that specific direction. You may have them locally or spread as far out as through multiple states.

The same thing can be done for stealth camping sites.
>>
OP where are you thinking about doing this, you've mentioned Australia, which state?
>>
>>727810
Location is SE QLD Australia
>>
>>727305
lol you are such a goober

save yourself a few thousand dollars and just get a red lens flashlight. You'll be able to see just enough to walk around with and anyone further than a quarter kilometer wont see your beam
>>
>>726487
>I'm sure Europeans have more respect for each other
Hahahah
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.